Hearts Fan Banned From Scottish Grounds For A Year

RoyCropper

i'm easily willing to believe there's been some rough justice here. it wouldn't be the first time from a match up there.

i'm know the guy (as will others) who got the banning order from a previous game up there for supposed sectarian breach of the peace. the guy is in no way shape or form a ned and isn't bigoted. he was completely stitched up by the police.

if this guy says he was singing the sanitised version of 'hullo hullo' then there's no really any point in labeling him a bigot unless it can be demonstrated that he is.

it's sad to say but i'm afraid the criminal justice system in these matters isn't the be-all-and-end-all of whether or not this guy is guilty. he's proved guilty in the eyes of the law, but...

No offence Spanky but never once in my time following Hearts, home or away, have I ever heard the sanitised version being sung by anyone. I can't possibly claim to know what the guy who was banned happened to be singing that day but if that's my experience of a Hearts crowd you can kind of see why we wouldn't ever get the benefit of the doubt.

Honestly? I don't believe anyone sings the sanitised version.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends very much on what version of the song he was singing, and whose blood he referred to. It is unfortunate, but very true (has been confirmed not only by L & B but by HMFC) that 99% of the songs sung by both Rangers and Celtic fans, and others, are perfectly permissible within a football stadium from a point of view of sectarianism ( totally irrelevant in relation to what is taking place, i.e. a football match, but they are not sectarian, that includes the likes of the Sash, Hello Hello, Fields of Athenry, Soldier's Song, any songs which only make mention of paramilitary groups etc etc). For example some might (all should) find words such as "we're off to join the IRA" offensive, but it isn't sectarian as such.

Possession of the Union flag, the Irish tricolour, the red hand of Ulster flag etc. within a football stadium are perfectly permissible as well, as long as they have not been altered in any way (which includes any sort of writing on them). The bit in brackets surprised me, because we are one of the few countries, like the RoI, where desecrating the flag in any way (which includes altering it by adding something in writing or in picture) is not actually illegal

The problem comes when additions/amendments are made to songs, and FTP, FTQ, fenian this, orange that are added. Then the person participating can be arrested under legislation covering sectarianism. So, as I said way up top, it depends very much on what he is deemed to have been singing or what he pleaded guilty to singing.

Wasn't there some law introduced a few years back that banned the promotion of illegal terrorist groups?

I'm sure I remember some radical muslims being charged with that sort of offence at some point. I don't understand why radical muslims are not allowed to sing or chant about Al Quaeda but Celtic fans are allowed to sing about their favourite terrorist group with impunity.

No offence Spanky but never once in my time following Hearts, home or away, have I ever heard the sanitised version being sung by anyone. I can't possibly claim to know what the guy who was banned happened to be singing that day but if that's my experience of a Hearts crowd you can kind of see why we wouldn't ever get the benefit of the doubt.

Honestly? I don't believe anyone sings the sanitised version.

i have heard it. i've sung it myself. i'll also own up to having sung the other version as well. people shouldn't be scared of owning up to that 'cos people were all young and daft once. some of us are now older and less daft. :rolleyes:

Good to see the press actually gave out the wrong address. I know the lad and know for a fact he doesnt stay at redhall and hasnt for some time. Also know he is going to the game on Sunday!

The paper actually gave the address as Redhill Crescent.

Anyway you should probably tell him to sort out the privacy settings on his facebook account if he's planning on doing anything surreptitious and naughty.

Andrew, if you're going to just make up nonsense like the above, please don't bother replying to my posts.

I said I hadn't sang sectarian posts. Did I not make that clear? None of the rest are sectarian so are not relevant to this debate.

I would have thought what the difference is was perfectly obvious given what's happened to the guy mentioned in the opening post but I'll spell it out for you.

Singing sectarian songs at football is a criminal offence with penalties that can be severe if you love Hearts and football.

That sort of singing also doesn't wind anyone up, it just makes those singing it look like neds and thickos.

The point I was trying to make was that making sweeping generalisations about anyone who has ever joined in that song is just stupid. There was vast parts of the support right around Tynecastle who joined in tht song at the game against Celtic - are we all thickos?

I highly doubt that you've never shouted anything or sang any song at a match that some people would class as neddish behaviour.

99% of Hearts fans have sung hello hello.

Doesnt matter whether it is Hibee or F****** blood, you are still wanting to wade in a group of peoples corpses, so many in fact that you are up to your knees in blood.

People say and sing silly things at football matches, I personally love it and feel a great deal of sympathy for the boy in question.

I am obviously against 60,000 Rangers fans singing about 1690 and Derry's walls, but hammering this boy with a criminal record because he joined in with a ditty is ridiculous in my opinion. It is only because it was a couple hundred that he was singled out.

When Celtic 'fans' have been putting their shirts above their nose and doing gun salutes at me, I turned to my mate and said F'ing F****** B******'s.) It was out of frustration at their pro-IRA views, not because I have anything against Catholics, would be quite silly as half my ancestry is of that stock.

All I can say is hard luck mate, it wouldn't of happened if you supported the OF but they want to make an example of you.

Edit - (apolgies if this is over-riding of the swear filter, but it isnt directed at anyone, it is to put my story across accurately, please remove if it is breaking a rule)

So in 15 years of watching Hearts you've never sang an offensive song? Oh the hibees are gay, sheep shagging *******s, weegie slums etc?

What's the difference? Winding up the opposition fans adds to the atmosphere and makes the match more enjoyable.

Maybe you could take your prawn sandwiches to the theatre?

What a hideous argument.

I love singing at the football, it's brilliant when the entire support get on a song and it doesn't happen enough IMO.

I have never sang hello hello though. It's a dumb song with zero relevance to Hearts. It might "create good atmosphere" but tell me where the relevance to Edinburgh or Hearts is in a song about a Glasgow Street Gang which takes it's tune from an American civil war song.

I don't like it. People I go to games with know this and I'm certainly not a PC brigade, prawn sandwich eating hand wringer.

J.T.F.Robertson

i have heard it. i've sung it myself. i'll also own up to having sung the other version as well. people shouldn't be scared of owning up to that 'cos people were all young and daft once. some of us are now older and less daft. :rolleyes:

You wouldn't know it, by the some of the *sanctimonious claptrap on here.

*hope that's the correct word and that I didn't, in my haste, punch the incorrect one in. :rolleyes:

Lets clear a few things up! I am the person in question and certainly not a ned, currently doing a maths degree at university actually, not sure how many buckfast swigging neds are in further education.

1,083 but I thought you would have known that? :thumbsup:

The point I was trying to make was that making sweeping generalisations about anyone who has ever joined in that song is just stupid. There was vast parts of the support right around Tynecastle who joined in tht song at the game against Celtic - are we all thickos?

I highly doubt that you've never shouted anything or sang any song at a match that some people would class as neddish behaviour.

I've never sang any sectarian songs at football. I'm just not into it I'm afraid.

Andrew, if you sing sectarian songs at football, the chances are you're a ned. I'm sorry you had to find out like this but it's better that you know the truth.

If you don't sing sectarian songs then I apologise for suggesting that you do and you're not a ned. :thumbsup:

Doesnt matter whether it is Hibee or F****** blood, you are still wanting to wade in a group of peoples corpses, so many in fact that you are up to your knees in blood.

People say and sing silly things at football matches, I personally love it and feel a great deal of sympathy for the boy in question.

I am obviously against 60,000 Rangers fans singing about 1690 and Derry's walls, but hammering this boy with a criminal record because he joined in with a ditty is ridiculous in my opinion. It is only because it was a couple hundred that he was singled out.

When Celtic 'fans' have been putting their shirts above their nose and doing gun salutes at me, I turned to my mate and said F'ing F****** B******'s.) It was out of frustration at their pro-IRA views, not because I have anything against Catholics, would be quite silly as half my ancestry is of that stock.

All I can say is hard luck mate, it wouldn't of happened if you supported the OF but they want to make an example of you.

Edit - (apolgies if this is over-riding of the swear filter, but it isnt directed at anyone, it is to put my story across accurately, please remove if it is breaking a rule)

Spot on, some of the chat on this thread is rotten

I think we should just sing Hearts songs and leave all the blood and union stuff to Rangers. I find it shames us and makes me cringe every time. After all it's the very cause of our diet huns label.

heartgarfunkel

Your either young or part of a small minority if you've never joined in that song at a Hearts match.

And yes, the atmosphere would be poorer as I think most people can at least agree that it's the most rousing song we have.

I'm part of the small minority that have never joined in that song. I've been going since 1976 and have never sung it once. It sounds very chav, it's popularly associated with a Glasgow sectarian, bigoted, terrorist exulting support (we don't sing songs we used to that are now associated with their east end equivalent sectarian, bigoted, terrorist exulting support). 'Silvery Moon' has got far more going for it.

The song you mentioned is sectarian as it is about religion, the IRA is not a religion to my knowledge.

Unless anyone can state differently

It is a common misapprehension that the word "Sect" and hence "Sectarian" and "Sectarianism" refer to a section of a greater whole. In fact they're more closely etymologically related to Segue (one piece of music following on from another), and sequence as it's derived from secta the latin for "follow"

Thus a sect is literally "A group of followers" and while it is probably most commonly used to describe followers of a religion it could quite easily apply to followers of a political philosophy such as Irish republicanism or orangism or at a bit more of a stretch to followers of a sports team. Arguably "Follow Follow" is the most sectarian song imaginable, etymologically at least

Famously "the Sash" was found to not be sectarian by a Scottish Court

(For Two quite different sources http://www.orange-order.co.uk/chronicle/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17139, http://saoirse32.dreamwidth.org/1049955.html)

Although people who quote this case tend to omit the fact that it was only a Sheriff court in Hamilton and so isn't as strong a precedent as one might first think.

Until someone takes one of these cases to the High Court Sheriffs in other parts of Scotland are free to take a broader interpretaion of the term if they choose.

You've been reported for singing the song and a football banning order is winging it's way to you as we speak.

I hope it acts as a deterrent to others whistling.gif

Guest Dr. Pepper

if you sing sectarian songs at football, the chances are you're a ned.

Nah man, the vast majority of Hearts fans who were singing about being up to their knees in fenian blood against both Hibs and Celtic in the last few weeks were not neds - The Collins English Dictionary defines ned as "a derogatory term for a young working-class person who dresses in casual sports clothes". Were the 10k (accurate figure IMO) singing it at Tynecastle on Wednesday all neds? :geek: A good 8K of them were foostie auld men who wear their trousers far too high up their torso.

Nah man, the vast majority of Hearts fans who were singing about being up to their knees in fenian blood against both Hibs and Celtic in the last few weeks were not neds - The Collins English Dictionary defines ned as "a derogatory term for a young working-class person who dresses in casual sports clothes". Were the 10k (accurate figure IMO) singing it at Tynecastle on Wednesday all neds? :geek: A good 8K of them were foostie auld men who wear their trousers far too high up their torso.

Former neds, IMO.

You've been reported for singing the song and a football banning order is winging it's way to you as we speak.

I hope it acts as a deterrent to others whistling.gif

get in! i was looking for a way out. just needed a push.

taking up bowls.

spot on, a lot of people wrongly think its only the f word thats offensive.

at easter road the same song was belted out a few times and again against celtic, i change a few words but many don't and technically the words i use are just as bad

I must admit to muttering the same as you during the celtic game after the pro ira songs. Not right the chap got singled out for singing been different if he'd been repeatedly shouting sectarian nonesense

Maybe so, but the fact remains that people don't ever seem to sing the sanitised version NOW...even when they know singing the other version will potentially get them in bother. You don't hear 'hibees blood' being sung so why would the authorities believe that someone was actually singing those words?

Maybe so, but the fact remains that people don't ever seem to sing the sanitised version NOW...even when they know singing the other version will potentially get them in bother. You don't hear 'hibees blood' being sung so why would the authorities believe that someone was actually singing those words?

i think the point is that you reckon you haven't heard the sanitised version being sung. i have heard it being sung.

what you wont ever get is everyone singing the sanitised version. if it's being sung en masse then some will be using the banned words and others wont. i have no idea in what ratio.

should someone be found guilty by association for singing the same tune as other people who are breaking the law?*

(* all assuming this guy's being completely honest)

Johanes de Silentio

Lets clear a few things up! I am the person in question and certainly not a ned, currently doing a maths degree at university actually, not sure how many buckfast swigging neds are in further education.

Secondly it was a total stitch up. 100 hearts fans singing at half time and they hear only me? The evidence was a total farce provided by 2 of aberdeens finest and the judge was a fecking season ticket holder at pittodrie!!

Certain songs have been deemed unacceptable - you know that - you were caught singing one of them.

Aberdeen's finest may not be aware of the distinction between the 'Hibees blood' and 'Fenian blood' versions of Hello Hello, or even the Gorgie Boys/Billy Boys distinction.

If the cops have been instructed to lift people for singing this song, I'm guessing that they are duty bound to do so.

Rather than arrest all of the 100 fans you say were singing, which is a tall order for 2 cops, they lifted you - maybe to make an example of one fan - to show others that such behaviour is unacceptable

Is it fair? Maybe not.

Is it harsh? Possibly/probably.

Is it legal? It would seem so.

If you think that the particular law that you were done for is wrong, then you need to take that up with your MP or something - it's then up to them to decide whether they choose to take it further. (unlikely in this case, maybe)

They arrested you when they could have arrested any one of 100 others - tough break - that's all.

Hello Hello was only briefly aired by a small minority Todders. I wouldn't even put the number at 100. For the most I'd say we had a pretty good sing song that day without lowering ourselves.

Before I go on to make two hugely pertinent points, I want to say that I have no idea if you did something bad or not. If you did nothing wrong but have been banned by the club, you should be looking to appeal to the club directly. I'd argue my case by explaining what happened and that this is a huge misunderstanding. I wouldn't play the card of "a'body else got away with it but I got caught" card, being the only guilty dude caught is not going to win your case. A little advice, get your buds from the English degree squad to help you write your letter. ;)

Secondly it was a total stitch up. 100 hearts fans singing at half time and they hear only me? The evidence was a total farce provided by 2 of aberdeens finest and the judge was a fecking season ticket holder at pittodrie!!

I find it hard to believe that a football ground would have exactly 100 Hearts fans singing one song at a time, not 99 or 101 but 100. My question is, are you sure you counted correctly? Don't worry, I won't tell your teacher! :)

Still waiting for the notice to come out then ill speak with the brief.

On a separate note, received my hearts letter a week after the incident banning me from tynie permanently. Nothing like incident until proven guilty eh

:)

Before I go on to make two hugely pertinent points, I want to say that I have no idea if you did something bad or not. If you did nothing wrong but have been banned by the club, you should be looking to appeal to the club directly. I'd argue my case by explaining what happened and that this is a huge misunderstanding. I wouldn't play the card of "a'body else got away with it but I got caught" card, being the only guilty dude caught is not going to win your case. A little advice, get your buds from the English degree squad to help you write your letter. ;)

I find it hard to believe that a football ground would have exactly 100 Hearts fans singing one song at a time, not 99 or 101 but 100. My question is, are you sure you counted correctly? Don't worry, I won't tell your teacher! :)

:)

I've got a certain degree of sympathy for the guy being fined such a big amount (?700) for what is essentially uttering one sectarian word, the f word presumably, but you'd have to be living on Mars for the last 3 years to realise that its frowned upon now and its flavour of the month at some football grounds (not ours it appears) If you're singing any version of that song, you're taking a risk that a police officer and then a court will view it as sectarian or offensive at the very least.

I'm not sure that writing to the club just now will do any good in terms of being allowed back into Tynecastle because they cant over-ride the court banning order. He should write a letter in a years time stating that he's learnt his lesson, brought disgrace on the club....blah blah blah and see if they can find it within themselves to rescind the life-time ban they appear to have slapped on him (which lets be honest, is harsh in the extreme)

i think the point is that you reckon you haven't heard the sanitised version being sung. i have heard it being sung.

what you wont ever get is everyone singing the sanitised version. if it's being sung en masse then some will be using the banned words and others wont. i have no idea in what ratio.

should someone be found guilty by association for singing the same tune as other people who are breaking the law?*

(* all assuming this guy's being completely honest)

It was aired at Perth a few times and certainly most of the people around me ( not all of them of course ) were using the sanitised version

I've got a certain degree of sympathy for the guy being fined such a big amount (?700) for what is essentially uttering one sectarian word, the f word presumably, but you'd have to be living on Mars for the last 3 years to realise that its frowned upon now and its flavour of the month at some football grounds (not ours it appears) If you're singing any version of that song, you're taking a risk that a police officer and then a court will view it as sectarian or offensive at the very least.

I'm not sure that writing to the club just now will do any good in terms of being allowed back into Tynecastle because they cant over-ride the court banning order. He should write a letter in a years time stating that he's learnt his lesson, brought disgrace on the club....blah blah blah and see if they can find it within themselves to rescind the life-time ban they appear to have slapped on him (which lets be honest, is harsh in the extreme)

This isn't a go, I didn't read the article tbh, but these two bits seem to contradict themselves. If they cannot over-ride a banning order now, can they do it in the future? Has the court the power to say that a supporter cannot pay to get into a football ground for an agreed period of time or must that come from the club?

Apologies if it may seem obvious to you but it isn't to me.

This isn't a go, I didn't read the article tbh, but these two bits seem to contradict themselves. If they cannot over-ride a banning order now, can they do it in the future? Has the court the power to say that a supporter cannot pay to get into a football ground for an agreed period of time or must that come from the club?

Apologies if it may seem obvious to you but it isn't to me.

See thread title, BH.

I do think you are being a bit harsh on the lad. Typing a post on a messageboard is different from writing a letter, I know I dont write them in the same style and put much mroe effort into my spelling and grammar into an official letter.

Honest question: What exactly were you singing?

By the way, I very seriously doubt that you are either a ned or sectarian in outlook.

He comitted the most heinous of crimes of errr singing a song the dastardly coward he . :thumbsup:

Exactly! he would have received a lesser fine/ban for drink driving!

I P Knightley

I know I dont write them in the same style and put much mroe effort into my spelling and grammar into an official letter.

...even going for "would have"??

Name and shame a lad who sang a hate song. Give his address.

Hmmm molest a child and never be named and will never be told their address.

Crazy. How dare they give the poor guys address!

Whenever 'Hello Hello' has been sung, I've only ever heard people singing "fenian blood" near me to be honest.

Name and shame a lad who sang a hate song. Give his address.

Hmmm molest a child and never be named and will never be told their address.

Crazy. How dare they give the poor guys address!

Not often, but I 100% agree with you here i8hibsh,

IP Knightley, I dont proof read my posts I just type them as I would say them, I meant would've but typed it would of, my mistake. I realise your a stickler for grammar, but Im also a stickler for getting it right up folk if they try and pick apart my posts, but I'l let you off because I like you. :thumbsup:

Honest question: What exactly were you singing?

By the way, I very seriously doubt that you are either a ned or sectarian in outlook.

I'm sure you don't condone his behaviour Uly, but I agree with the bit in bold.

Pipe down FFS. It's not like a pitchfork mob is going to turn up at his house.

Good evenin'

Acey. honest question with your legal 'expertise', why are they allowed to give out the address and why did they choose to do so? Is their a specific reason for it or was it just to fill some print. Maybe this isnt a legal matter at all but just wondering from your point of view.

I think you'll find we have regional police forces. :whistling:

He got done for calling him a Welsh basturd. There is nothing wrong with simply calling someone Welsh.

.......... or even simply calling someone a bustard!!!

Good evenin'

Acey. honest question with your legal 'expertise', why are they allowed to give out the address and why did they choose to do so? Is their a specific reason for it or was it just to fill some print. Maybe this isnt a legal matter at all but just wondering from your point of view.

It's already been explained earlier in the thread raaargh

Having just read this whole thread, it is tragic.

The boy appears to have been set-up here, IMO.

What are you basing this on, out of interest?

Every single person who has ever come on here in this kind of situation has been completely "innocent".

I would place the credibility of a Hearts fan that WITNESSED any wrong-doing (or otherwise) ahead of the police, yes.

Wonder what team the cop supported ??

The problem with being up to your knees in fenian blood (or hibby blood for that matter) is that it ruins your shoes, your socks and your trousers.

You could start wearing those waders that fishermen wear, but you'd look like a right dick wandering down Gorgie Rd on the way to the match.

You could wear shorts and no socks/shoes - but until the SPL brings in a winter break that's just unworkable.

This is a real quandary.

Tragic? Don't be daft. Set-up? Ridiculous. Victim of a gross over-reaction? Undoubtedly.

If you transgress you open yourself up. 99/100 it's just not going to be you that is the one singled out but if you are, be prepared to suffer a sledgehammer to crack your nuts.

If you are the unfortunate chosen one, you will become part of a seemingly inexorable chain of events where each level of authority tries to outdo each other in demonstrating their commitment to stamping out this "xxxxxxx (insert relative vile antisocial unspeakable evil behaviour)" within our midst.

This results in a chain of events where each level of punishment gets more and more distanced from the severity of the initial transgression and if left unchecked results in the ultimate "hanging's too good for them" tabloid conclusion.

So think about what you're doing and if you're happy to accept that there's a rremote chance of a reckoning involved by all means carry on, but spare us all the miscarriage of justice bleating, please.

See thread title, BH.

I do think you are being a bit harsh on the lad. Typing a post on a messageboard is different from writing a letter, I know I dont write them in the same style and put much mroe effort into my spelling and grammar into an official letter.

Can't believe I missed that! :laugh:

In my defence, I didn't know the courts could (against the will of the club) enforce such a punishment.

As for the second bit, I was teasin' the lad, I am sure he can write a letter without the need of somebody with an English degree.:)

I still think he should stray away from the "I wasn't the only one" defence.

All over England fans sing "Hullo Hullo". They do not sing a sectarian version. So if the guy was singing the so called sanitised version then its a miscarriage of justice. If not he's bang to rights. What's the debate? I take the guys word for it because he says it was a stitch up and I've seen plenty of them in my time. Still wait the day that the OF get lifted on mass but don't believe it will ever happen. In the meantime Hearts fans will always be an easy target so we all need to think about what we're doing.

Good to see the press actually gave out the wrong address. I know the lad and know for a fact he doesnt stay at redhall and hasnt for some time. Also know he is going to the game on sunday!

The game is on Saturday, kick off at 13:00 .

I sing the sanitised version every time. Why? Because the other version i don't believe in as on another day it could possibly be sung to me.

That said i'm not bothered either way what is sung. It creates an atmosphere which is one of the most important things at a Hearts game.

I think the guy in question here has been very hard done by and i'm surprised at the lifetime ban from the club.

Archived