Feed the Mak and He Will Score

sked21

Well I thought I would get it started in the build up to the game on Saturday.

There are those that say he is possibly the worst player in the squad but come on Shaggy he scores goals. PLAY HIM.

If he had the chances in the first team that Elliot then we would have at least one goal scorer still in the team.

chester copperpot
No offence but IMO he's another lump of wood like Beniuseless!!:(

He's miles better than Benni IMO mate.

Mole got his chance after scoring in the reserves, only fair that Makela does. And if he doesn't then why? Is it really cos he's on a whacking goal bonus?

I know it is ifs and buts. But if Makela was given the three chances Elliot was given against St Mirren we woud have walked away with three points.

As long as Shaggy is in charge then he won't get a chance because he has his favourites.

Cat Stevens

He's a Finnish international striker that we forked out ?500 K for. He's scoring in the reserves, let's give him a chance to prove himself in his natural position, not out on the right wing.

He's a Finnish international striker that we forked out ?500 K for. He's scoring in the reserves, let's give him a chance to prove himself in his natural position, not out on the right wing.

Tosh;)

He's miles better than Benni IMO mate.

How can we judge who is better than who when both have hardly played for the first team or given a chance.

How can we judge who is better than who when both have hardly played for the first team or given a chance.

Beniusis has had more chances than Makela this season, has Makela even warmed the bench at all?

Could just about understand when he had competition for the first year and a half from Bednar, Jankauskas, Pospisil, Elliot and latterly Velicka (and Pinpernel) that he wouldn't get many games.

But in the season when we've given time on the pitch to Beniusis, Ivaskevicius, Ksnavicius in advanced roles - and persisted with Elliot when he hasn't been scoring, and Nade when he's been eating too much - Makela's absence has been bizarre.

He got 50 minutes this season. Most of that on the right wing and the rest as a solo striker when Nade got sent off. Has not had a fair go in my opinion.

I don't think he looks the best player ability wise but I have to agree with Coco.

If he leaves in the summer no Hearts fan can genuinely give an informed opinion of him as we've hardly ever seen him.

Ryan Gosling

Has anybody actually watched the highlights?

He missed lots of other chances, and his second goal was a first touch gone VERY wrong!

He missed lots of other chances, and his second goal was a first touch gone VERY wrong!

He put the ball in the back of the net.

But yeah he did miss a fair few chances.

Mr Romanov is right in not picking Juho Makela. If Makela was to score a couple of goals on Saturday not only would Mr Romanov have to pay Juho's goal bonus he might also have to pay win bonuses to the rest of the team. That would be fiscal madness and all TRUE Hearts supporters must agree with Mr Romanov that winning games is bad? Surely? Or do you all want the club to die?

Well I thought I would get it started in the build up to the game on Saturday.

There are those that say he is possibly the worst player in the squad but come on Shaggy he scores goals. PLAY HIM.

If he had the chances in the first team that Elliot then we would have at least one goal scorer still in the team.

How many folk thought Velicka was hopeless when he first got a game.:sad:

The Old Tolbooth

I dont really care if the lad cant play football, as long as he knows where the onion bag is then thats good enough for me. Sally McCoist got away with that for years!!!

Also how anyone can judge the laddie as being gash based on the very limited chances that he's had is a mystery to me! He was scoring goals for fun in Finland for his previous club, that just doesnt go away when you join a club like us!

Ryan Gosling
How many folk thought Velicka was hopeless when he first got a game.:sad:

i didn't, i thought he looked decent and even made a post about how i thought he'd be a big player for us. it was bumped repeatedly as the goals flew in.

I got all excited when I saw the title of this thread. Crushing disappointment. :(

On topic, I like Makela - out of all the strikers that we've had recently, he's looked the most likely to score, including Velicka and Bednar. He doesn't contribute much else, though, which is why playing him on the right wing is / was utterly ludicrous.

At the very least, if Elliott deserves as many chances as he's had, Makela deserves at least one proper run in the team.

The thing about it is that the fans (in the majority) liked Velicka because he was good at shooting, though he missed many chances too. He was hopeless in linking the play, holding the ball etc etc.

Makela does not look like a sophisticated footballer and in his limited opportunities in the first team has not been great at linking the play, holding the ball etc. But when he plays he scores goals. Yet there are few fans who would like to see him in the team. Strange.

Feed him and he will score?

I think someone tried this with Nade..... all that happened was that he got fat an unfit.....

Feed him and he will score?

I think someone tried this with Nade..... all that happened was that he got fat an unfit.....

BOOM BOOM!

(Wasn't passing comment on your joke there, it was actually an impression of Nade getting out of bed)

While Frail has passed his coaching badges at Largs he doesn't have his Uefa ones yet which would let him manage Hearts.

Still, I'm willing to give a football professional the benefit of the doubt.

Can I ask those on here clamouring for Makela to play how well he does when they play him on Football Manager, as I'm assuming that's were their expertise originates...

Can I ask those on here clamouring for Makela to play how well he does when they play him on Football Manager, as I'm assuming that's were their expertise originates...

Bit of an arrogant statement there. Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm basing my view of Makela on the fact that he's scored on almost every occasion that he's started a game up front.

Of course you can always say : "Frail's a footballing professional, he knows best", but everyone in the game's a footballing professional. By that logic, fans should all just shut up, pay their money and leave all the thinking to the big boys.

i remember the barca game, when makela had his name read out, there were a couple of lads bumping their gums about him getting a start.

i turned round and asked if they had seen him playing

"aye, course we have!" was the reply

my reply to them was that (at that point) every game he had started in, he had scored, and if he didn't score that afternoon i'd eat my scarf

well, he scored the first goal of the game, so i didn't have to eat my scarf

i think in the games he's started there has only been 1 or 2 he hasn't scored in.

given our lack of any attempt at goals these days, i'd definitely have him in there ahead of elliot, but then i'm still not convinced the strikers role is his best position anyways, cos he does work does elliot, just doen't score many goals

chester copperpot

Im talking about watching them in the reserves dude, not the 1st team.

Though IMO Makela wins in both teams.

Hilary Briss
Mole got his chance after scoring in the reserves, only fair that Makela does. And if he doesn't then why? Is it really cos he's on a whacking goal bonus?

Mole has has the potential to be a good player.

IMO Makela will never be a good player in his puff !!

FFS Bennifeckinguseless got a game for scoring in an different league and country.

Ryan Gosling
i remember the barca game, when makela had his name read out, there were a couple of lads bumping their gums about him getting a start.

i turned round and asked if they had seen him playing

"aye, course we have!" was the reply

my reply to them was that (at that point) every game he had started in, he had scored, and if he didn't score that afternoon i'd eat my scarf

well, he scored the first goal of the game, so i didn't have to eat my scarf

i think in the games he's started there has only been 1 or 2 he hasn't scored in.

given our lack of any attempt at goals these days, i'd definitely have him in there ahead of elliot, but then i'm still not convinced the strikers role is his best position anyways, cos he does work does elliot, just doen't score many goals

just one - he was played left wing that day I think.

just one - he was played left wing that day I think.

Right wing at Kilmarnock. Then got 6 minutes at centre forward after Nade was sent off.

Failed to score in those 6 minutes though - so had to be hauled off for Beniusis.

Felt very sorry for Makela's parents/GF that day. They looked totally bemused as they watched a guy who has presumably scored goals from centre forward all his life play on the right wing and then get 6 minutes in his best position. His GF was waving a little Finnish flag all through the first half too.

Give him a chance Id say. He seems like he knows where the back of the net is. Get Nade up front with him, hopefully setting up the chances for the Finn.

Hilary Briss
Based on what exactly?????:confused:

He played well in Athens against a good side and played a few decent matches after. After that he had a loss of form in a very poor Hearts side, which itself was short in confidence.

By all accounts, he has played really well in reserves and had a good game on Saturday.

I am not saying the lad is Alan Shearer but IMO he has something and could improve, where as IMO Makela has no control, skill or movement and has looked like a carthorse everytime I have seen him play.

One question I have for Makela fans is, why has he not scored bucketloads when he went on loan if he is such a goal machine ??

Mole has has the potential to be a good player.

IMO Makela will never be a good player in his puff !!

Does he? Must hide it well. Makela has put two in the net for the reserves, similarly Mole put two in. Mole saw 1st team action. Similarly so should Makela. Seems only fair to me and after both Mole and Elliot misfired against St Midden neither deserve to retain their place.

He played well in Athens against a good side and played a few decent matches after. After that he had a loss of form in a very poor Hearts side, which itself was short in confidence.

By all accounts, he has played really well in reserves and had a good game on Saturday.

I am not saying the lad is Alan Shearer but IMO he has something and could improve, where as IMO Makela has no control, skill or movement and has looked like a carthorse everytime I have seen him play.

One question I have for Makela fans is, why has he not scored bucketloads when he went on loan if he is such a goal machine ??

Similarly, why didn't Mole? Or Elliot? Did they even get one between them?

Similarly, why didn't Mole? Or Elliot? Did they even get one between them?

And the same could be said about Benni who was scoring goals until he came on loan to us.

Drylaw Hearts

I've seen Makela in several Reserve matches, bounce matches and at Training.

As a footballer I think he is honking.

Absolutely honking.

I am no huge fan of Mole or Elliot but I would rather watch either of them play for the First Team rather than see Makela involved.

Seems to me that the same argument rages at Ibrox.

Does the fact that a striker scores virtually every time he starts outweigh the fact that he contributes nothing else ?

United keeper should have come out for the first one and the second one was just mental.

The one he put past the post by a long way was a cracker.

He might still come onto a game if we give him another couple of years in the reserves.

The guy deserves a chance - after all we've never really seen what he might or might not be capable off in the fleeting appearances he has had.

He certainly seemed to know the way to goals when he played in Finland. Some natural strkers actually aren't that great as naturally talented footballers. Alec Ferguson when he played for St Johnstone, Dunfermline and Rangers was hardly a great talent but he scored loads of goals for all three teams. Kris Boyd is in the same category. We'll never really know if he's not given a chance.

Both Makela and Benny have proven goalscoring records at former clubs.

They both were top scorers at their former clubs.

Yet we persevere with Mole and Elliot, both of which are proven duds in the SPL.

I get really frustrated with Hearts sometimes.

As previous have said, look at Boyd. He gives you nothing apart from goals. He misses chances and even penalties. Still he'll get you 30 a season with ease.

I couldn't care less if Makela was sleeping for 89 minutes, if he used the one minute to get a goal for us.

Magic Numbers

I thought Makela looked ok against DU, unlucky not to get the hattrick. His general play looked reasonable enough. Chesney also looked on good form.

MUCH MORE CONCERNING...BASSO!!! LOOKED A BIT OF A SHOCKER FROM "Le Juggler"

Geoff Kilpatrick

Be honest. If Finnish was replaced with Lithuanian would you be saying the same thing?

Archived