Our True Level

gowestjambo

Libertonian_II
Worse than 1999 or 1995 or 1994 seasons? The last 2 being last day relegation scrapes, in 1999 we didn't win for 13 games between December & April and after watching us lose 2 nil at Dens Park with Mo Berthe playing we were really in deep sh|te, thankfully we turned it around last 6 games but it was a dire season with 2 big cup disappointments also.

Maybe my memory ain't as good as it was, but it doesn't disguise the fact that SPL standards were higher then, than now.

hearts_crazy
I am very happy for you to remain in our own wee world, just let us in the Real world accept the team for what it is just now! Its not rocket science to work out how bad we really are!

Inconsistent is not the same as 'really bad'.

In fact forget it, there's no point, you win. St Johnstone are way better than HMFC, stands to reason, yup, it's all very clear to me now.

scott herbertson
I am very happy for you to remain in our own wee world, just let us in the Real world accept the team for what it is just now! Its not rocket science to work out how bad we really are!

Yup - better than five other teams in the league

which is 3 or 4 more than we have been several times in the past 20 years

It's not good. it's not even satisfactory, but it's not the worst ever.

If the trend continues it will get worse and that really will be terrible, but nothing to match the feeling when we were relegated for the first time in this clubs history. or the time when we weren't allowed to sign any players because we weren't paying our bills.

Charlie-Brown
Maybe my memory ain't as good as it was, but it doesn't disguise the fact that SPL standards were higher then, than now.

I'am not necessarily disagreeing but...by what yardstick do you believe the SPL was a higher standard back then?

Libertonian_II
I'am not necessarily disagreeing but...by what yardstick do you believe the SPL was a higher standard back then?

Gut instinct I suppose. I'm not going to check back and see who was playing then, but I always thought that we had some decent players at the time, or at least a few more barely competents

I think there was a lot to build on from Saturday's game.

- defence now settled, goalkeeper now settled, continue to concede very few goals to the (non OF) teams in our league

- goal lost due to 1 individual error (Karipidis lack of bottle) who got a rollicking from the other defenders/Banks after the goal - good to see

- unbeaten in 6 games against the teams in our league

- as young a team as I can remember Hearts putting out

- 7 from our youth system

- fewer of the Kaunas duds getting a game

- Miko and Driver both looking lively

- Mole and Elliot for one of the first times in the last 2 seasons playing as a partnership

- the spirit and commitment to get back a goal in the last few minutes

I think we require a really dominating centre half to replace Karipidis. And a ballwinner in midfield to play beside Jonsson. Perhaps a more balanced right midfielder rather than a winger. And someone with real pace or heading ability up front. Rather than the Kaunas players littering the bench, at this point in the season I would prefer to see the likes of McGowan/Glen getting time. But there were lots of positive signs as above from Saturday and I don't think it was the worst I've ever seen Hearts play.

David McCaig

The SPLs European coefficient and club performance in the 1990s would seem to strongly disagree with the argument that our league was better than it is now.

If anything our domestic game is enjoying something of a renaissance. Even Aberdeen managed to make it through the UEFA Cup group stages yet are below Hearts (with supposedly the worst side we have ever had the misfortune of watching...... ever) in the table.

This year we have been chronically inconsistent no doubt about that, but youngsters like Driver, Wallace, Elliot, Mole and Jonsson are now getting a chance to shine, as they grow older so they will get more consistent, I cant believe the diffusionist view of the past some hearts fans seem to have developed.

Whether I am what this board needs or not, we are all entiltled to express an opinion.

Are you comfortable with the current performances? after watching us continually underperform, I am amazed at what some supporters think is acceptable.

I can lend you a book if you need something to read, you obviously dont have much else to do reading previous posts!

:rolleyes:

It was a quick flick. Just to help me express my opinion...

Ally Alexander

Coco,

Agreed. This team would perform very well with the likes of a Fulton and a Mickey Cameron or Paul Hartley in their prime. Mind you there's not many players around of that calibre.

Still lack punch upfront, however. Makela has to come into consideration - not that he's a footballer just one of these guys that score goals and we certainly need a few in the coming weeks. Unless of course the club decide that its more important to blood some youth. Would we accept knowing that Glenn and McGowan are SPL quality at the expense of missing the top 6?

jack D and coke
The point I am trying to make is that I believe we are now de-senseitised to accepting what is amongst the very worst team ever seen!

I'm with you mate. People can dress it up any way they want but we're being force fed dung with nothing but lies to hang on to. Hearts will always be my team but you couldn't drag me along at the moment to watch the utter dross that is being served up. I gave up my season ticket last season and the rest of my mates aren't renewing for next. There's no pleasure whatsoever in watching us at the moment.

I have been attending Tynecastle since 1962, I will not give up wanting the very best for my team, and I will not tolerate the mediocrity currently on offer! (if you wish to do so that is OK with me)

Ah, but you're not allowed to suggest that the current team is no better than the teams that got us relegated - in theory you see they're much better for some reason, even though the players on the field look the exact same level of quality when I'm actually watching them.

gowestjambo
Ah, but you're not allowed to suggest that the current team is no better than the teams that got us relegated - in theory you see they're much better for some reason, even though the players on the field look the exact same level of quality when I'm actually watching them.

It amazes me that so many disagree with my point, (although by no means all) I must watch a different game to other supporters!

Obviously I am not under Vlad's spell like some others, if some are happy to watch this current team, and find the performances acceptable - then I am glad I take the stance I do!

gowestjambo
I'm with you mate. People can dress it up any way they want but we're being force fed dung with nothing but lies to hang on to. Hearts will always be my team but you couldn't drag me along at the moment to watch the utter dross that is being served up. I gave up my season ticket last season and the rest of my mates aren't renewing for next. There's no pleasure whatsoever in watching us at the moment.

It doesnt stop me going and supporting the team, its just I think we have sunk even further than some are ready to accept!

Ryan Gosling
We,in my time anyway,have never had as many duff players in one sqaud at the same time.

Bigger squad.

Bigger squad.

Ah I see,so the bigger the squad you want the more 4th rate players you get to put into said squad,jeeso I've been missing the point all along.

Come on Vlads 378 show the jolly old bosch what we can do with our players in the SPL,CL here we come.

hearts_crazy

Can someone tell me, now that Partick are as good as Rangers how crap are Hearts? And if St Johnstone beat Partick this weekend will they be better than Rangers too? This is getting confusing:confused:

It's a funny old game.;)

Archived