England Can Wave Bye Bye to WC 2018

Chad Sexington

Yep I read that the other day and tbh I wasn't surprised. I had a feeling Russia would get it anyway, what with the prospect of getting some oil money, I mean great infrastructure already set up there :rolleyes:

Anything that exposes that lot is bound to be frowned upon, their cushy jobs are under threat. They won't take that lying down.

Makes you wonder what else they get up to, bunch of corrupt swines. :down:

The SFA probably get an award from FIFA for their sterling work.

I did have a chuckle reading a statement from someone at FIFA condemning the sting and rather forgetting to mention what the sting uncovered. They put the SFA's hypocrisy and double standards to shame.

As much as I hated McBeath, we all knew at the time (when he was forced to resign from FIFA) his comments about not shaking hands with these guys was bang on the money and in no way racist as Jack Warner tried to make out. First we have all the stories about Warner himself making backstreet deals and stealing tickets at the World Cup, and then we have the Times story about FIFA delegates whoring themselves. We all know FIFA are the second most corrupt organisation in the world (behind the Olympics committee), we all know Blatter runs a communist regime, but it would be a joke if England did not get the 2018 World Cup because of that.

To be honest it would be a joke if England didn't get the 2018 World Cup compared to alot of the other contenders period!!!

The Treasurer

Love the fact that the English media has basically cost them the World Cup.

At last the media have done something useful thumbsup.gif

Would it be remiss to consider this as a conspired warning shot across the FIFA bows. Choose England or else we 'unleash the hounds' and we just happen to have the Panorama programme in the can. This could get extremely messy.

I very much doubt if FIFA cares about a British TV program TBH. They seem to be way above that.

The thing that troubles me about the Times revelation is the method of obtaining the 'evidence'. They choose two poor countries whose delegates don't attempt to make money for themselves but are tempted by the thought of football academy and other facilities for their countries (who can't afford to build these things) in a sting operation.

I believe FIFA to be corrupt as hell but, frankly, I wouldn't read the Times either !

Yes, africa has a rich history of spendin foreign money on the things they are meant to be spent on....

So by sepp blatters train of thought, undercover operations by the police are unethical?

I thought i hated england, fifa really make me look mild

Yes, africa has a rich history of spendin foreign money on the things they are meant to be spent on....

So by sepp blatters train of thought, undercover operations by the police are unethical?

I thought i hated england, fifa really make me look mild

Point taken but it really doesn't change the thrust of the argument.

The reporters didn't attempt to pretend to bribe the delegates from the USA or France ! They went for the delegates from poor countries where corruption - either for facilities or for personal gain - is always far more likely. African delegates in corruption shock !

We are all intimately aware of how blind, biased and bloody stupid football reporters are in this country. There is no reason to think that those covering politics, finance and general interest stories are any better. I don't trust the media for news or analysis and only reluctantly buy SOS because my wife reads the Spectrum suppliment. Pay for news online ? Give me a break !

I P Knightley

Love the fact that the English media has basically cost them the World Cup.

The Sunday Times is a Murdoch publication and Murdoch is famously not English. I think he's taken US citizenship but is a notorious global manipulator. If this has harmed England's 2018 bid, it will be because Murdoch wants it to and there will be a significant benefit to his media empire of Russia winning the bid.

As much as I hated McBeath, we all knew at the time (when he was forced to resign from FIFA) his comments about not shaking hands with these guys was bang on the money and in no way racist as Jack Warner tried to make out. First we have all the stories about Warner himself making backstreet deals and stealing tickets at the World Cup, and then we have the Times story about FIFA delegates whoring themselves. We all know FIFA are the second most corrupt organisation in the world (behind the Olympics committee), we all know Blatter runs a communist regime, but it would be a joke if England did not get the 2018 World Cup because of that.

To be honest it would be a joke if England didn't get the 2018 World Cup compared to alot of the other contenders period!!!

Eh? In what way is FIFA a communist regime? Does it distribute tickets to the workers? Does it subsidise the cost so that the working people can take advantage of attending?

:blink:

Rudolf's Mate

I very much doubt if FIFA cares about a British TV program TBH. They seem to be way above that.

The thing that troubles me about the Times revelation is the method of obtaining the 'evidence'. They choose two poor countries whose delegates don't attempt to make money for themselves but are tempted by the thought of football academy and other facilities for their countries (who can't afford to build these things) in a sting operation.

I believe FIFA to be corrupt as hell but, frankly, I wouldn't read the Times either !

And you beleive these delegates would use the money to build said facilities within their countries???

Ok the papers are scvm but when uncovering the likes of Terry, Cole & Rooney then people have no issue with it. Just because these delegates stated they intended to build facilities for the poor doesn't mean they actually would do it. And doing so by selling votes! Come on.

The whole set up within FIFA os currupt including these two. I want the world cup to come to these shores, as I think it would be good for the country however to also see this within my lifetime would be something else. If someone uncovering the truth regardless of the way they do it is going to cost the country the 2018 WC then that is pretty terrible tbh.

Patrick Bateman

I'd be delighted if the English bid fails, because it'll mean less British Governmental money will be wasted, like the Millennium Dome or the London Olympics.

Nelly Terraces

I'd be delighted if the English bid fails, because it'll mean less British PUBLIC money will be wasted, like the Millennium Dome or the London Olympics.

, Hollyrood Parliament, Edinburgh Trams......

I for one would love England to get the World Cup. I don't see Scotland qualifying for one so the next best thing is to go watch the WC in our own backyard.

And yet the journalist who made the Panorama programme, exposing FIFA for what they are, is the only journalist in the world (unless its changed since I spoke to him), who is banned from attending any FIFA press conferences or gatherings. They do care. A lot. So much so, that they tried to sue the same journalist for his even more insightful book, only to lose. I imagine Andrew Jennings will both be shaking his head and have a wry, smug smile to himself on hearing this news.

I wasnt surprised when I heard the news. Its been a nap for awhile (IMO), that Russia would get the nod. This confirms it a bit more for me.

You never know though. Maybe the English bid can turn up with some suitcases of cash. Either that or get Blatter's 'friend', Seb Coe to have a word. You know. To help oil the deal a bit

"Is it ethical to use unethical methods to protect the ethic? How will we clean dirty laundry by using dirty water?"

They have a point. The British Media are hardly purveyors of ethical standards. Completely the opposite as far as I'm concerned.

How is t unethical to expose it?

It seems fifa are more annoyed at the people exposing than the exposed

Got something to hide fifa?

Imagine it was an english delegate selling votes? The english team would probaly be barred from the competition(well they should be anyway they are gash but its besides the point)

The actual exposing of it is not unethical. The way in which they uncover it is however. Unless you think entrapment is perfectly ethical??

Well entrapment is a funny one

Is it emtrapment to leave your car unlocked with the key in the ignition if someone steals it?

They put bait out and found some biters

If nobody was willin to sell votes nobody would take the bait, the fact that they now know therw are people willing to set them up should hopefully put others off doin it in the future!

The actual exposing of it is not unethical. The way in which they uncover it is however. Unless you think entrapment is perfectly ethical??

But entrapment can and may be used for the greater good, which Ethical research is all about...

Eh? In what way is FIFA a communist regime? Does it distribute tickets to the workers? Does it subsidise the cost so that the working people can take advantage of attending?

:blink:

Employees and delegates travel the world first class attending top games and tournaments living in the best hotels wined and dined at top restaurants whisked around in limosines.FIFAs a workers paradise :thumbsup:

But entrapment can and may be used for the greater good, which Ethical research is all about...

Burke and Hare's murder victims were used for the greater good! Doctors paying for luke warm bodies used them for the greater good! Not sure there can be any argument of whether serial murder can be ethical or not.

(Where is this going?) :mellow:

Burke and Hare's murder victims were used for the greater good! Doctors paying for luke warm bodies used them for the greater good! Not sure there can be any argument of whether serial murder can be ethical or not.

(Where is this going?) :mellow:

As did were the body who were taken from the graves illegally during that time. What I'm saying is that there is a fine line between ethical and unethical, especially when there is a 'greater good' component to it.

England are long overdue to host the WC. Mexico and Germany have both had it twice since England last held it.

I do think FIFA and UEFA dislike the English. Why did English teams get banned for 5 years from Europe and other countrys fans can do a lot worse and hardly a word is said?

England are long overdue to host the WC. Mexico and Germany have both had it twice since England last held it.

I do think FIFA and UEFA dislike the English. Why did English teams get banned for 5 years from Europe and other countrys fans can do a lot worse and hardly a word is said?

Mexico, the 2nd time, was an emergency choice due to Colombia not being able to.

Mexico, the 2nd time, was an emergency choice due to Colombia not being able to.

True. The WC is losing its appeal though. It was rubbish in South Africa and everyone I spoke to couldn't wait for the season to start.

Rudolf's Mate

True. The WC is losing its appeal though. It was rubbish in South Africa and everyone I spoke to couldn't wait for the season to start.

Totally agree and I think FIFA probably know that. Despite what FIFA wulill tell you about he success story of the South African world cup. They had to punt tickets at much lower prices leading up to games in order to shift them and even went against policy by selling from non FIFA regulated shops etc.

You have a venue of England or Russia, commercially which one do you think is likely to be the bIggest success? England as a venue would be hard to beat by any country in terms of revenue generated and I think for this reason you may see them get the nod.

Totally agree and I think FIFA probably know that. Despite what FIFA wulill tell you about he success story of the South African world cup. They had to punt tickets at much lower prices leading up to games in order to shift them and even went against policy by selling from non FIFA regulated shops etc.

You have a venue of England or Russia, commercially which one do you think is likely to be the bIggest success? England as a venue would be hard to beat by any country in terms of revenue generated and I think for this reason you may see them get the nod.

England has been ready for years now. Russia needs work to do to be ready. But I do think money talks and for that reason Russia will get it.

dobmisterdobster

England has been ready for years now. Russia needs work to do to be ready. But I do think money talks and for that reason Russia will get it.

They have a much higher population so that is to be expected. But Russia is still a shithole.

Surely the grounds hosting the games get revenue from the games? I would think UK grounds would charge far more than Russian grounds.

As far as the English media screwing it up for England, don't they do that EVERY tournament anyway? :whistling:

Captain_Peacock

Surely the grounds hosting the games get revenue from the games?

If Ken Bates gets his way the old spiv will redevelop Elland Road on the back of goverment grants should England get the 2018 WC.

At the same time the hypocrite criticises goverment spending while living in a tax haven & in full knowledge he swindled HMRC out of alomst ?7 million as part of the admin process at Leeds.

Time to rid football of spivs.

Archived