Valencia v Rangers

Gigolo-Aunt

The co-efficient has been discussed at length and the intelligent consensus is the lower the better for all except the OF. The co-efficient is only ever mentioned these days by closet huns on the troll.

Whooossssshhhhhhhh. :rolleyes:

As an aside though, that consensus you speak of is totally, utterly wrong. :mellow:

Valencia 3 Rangers 0.

And you can take that to the bank. :thumbsup:

Love you Chad.

After reading this I stuck a fiver on 3-0 at 10's :thumbsup:

I love these really difficult chances made easier by goalkeepers getting their positioning wrong.

Sort of end up in no man's land Allan, and zero chance of saving what was an exceptionally hard chance for the guy to score.

Agreed. He's been fecking awesome again tonight.

Spurs didn't have a bad player tonight but Bale was something else, had a wee laugh when all the spurs fans started singing Taxi for Maicon after Bale flew past him for the 74th time

Ha ha. Feckin superb. Her Majesty's Eleven are getting a right royal shafting up the pineapple fritter tonight.

Stuff the co-efficient.

This. thumbsup.gif

Best performance of the night - Gareth Bale!!!

Worst - Allan 'Flapper' MacGregor!!!

You could almost hear the collective media choke, as they shut their mouths and gulped, in case they said something that challenged their campaign to make "Flapper" No 1.

Whooossssshhhhhhhh. :rolleyes:

As an aside though, that consensus you speak of is totally, utterly wrong. :mellow:

I used your mention of the co-efficient to take a pop at the Therapist's post. I understood that you were just kidding - so double WOOOOSH.

Discussed the topic at length and consensus was co-efficient - weak is better

My link

Triple WOOOSH.

You should get back to actually discussing things. The bitchy Lawson isn't as good as the old one.

jamboinglasgow

worst ever piece of commentary during the Spurs match, Eto'o pulls a goal back against Spurs and the main commentator says "And that changes the scoreline..." :lol:

I used your mention of the co-efficient to take a pop at the Therapist's post. I understood that you were just kidding - so double WOOOOSH.

My link

Triple WOOOSH.

You should get back to actually discussing things. The bitchy Lawson isn't as good as the old one.

:D

Ah, the tyranny of the majority. The consensus is woefully wrong: it's not my fault if people can't see why! :)

Take a look at Scottish clubs' horrific results in Europe over the past three seasons. Note, too, the atrocious financial position Rangers have been in. Then check the current league table, and note that this season, both halves of the OF started with eight out of eight.

At a time their revenue's been falling, and their quality is miles removed from what it was ten or even just five years ago, how do you account for this? As money disappears from the Scottish game, the rest of us suffer just as much; as they get worse, we actually get worse more quickly.

:D

Ah, the tyranny of the majority. The consensus is woefully wrong: it's not my fault if people can't see why! :)

Take a look at Scottish clubs' horrific results in Europe over the past three seasons. Note, too, the atrocious financial position Rangers have been in. Then check the current league table, and note that this season, both halves of the OF started with eight out of eight.

At a time their revenue's been falling, and their quality is miles removed from what it was ten or even just five years ago, how do you account for this? As money disappears from the Scottish game, the rest of us suffer just as much; as they get worse, we actually get worse more quickly.

So please explain how money handed to the OF ever ends up in the coffers of HMFC?

Other SPL clubs get occasional transfer fees, but generally speaking we don't do business with the OF. There are very few ways in which we benefit from the OF getting richer.

The refereeing controversy can only be good for Hearts. It would never had happened if Celtic and Rangers were each guaranteed a CL place, as Celtic would have kept their mouths shut.

As was said in the other thread Hearts will benefit in the cups from the OF being fixated with winning the league. The OF will be much weakened by the drop in CL income and their fighting will become ferocious.

Truth is that European football is of no consequence to anyone outside the OF - there is such a tiny financial benefit.

If we were splitting the OF each year I would have a different point of view, but that's not going to happen for a very long time - but it will be more likely if the OF are starved of CL cash and spend up in an effort to outdo each other. During the 2 CL places years the OF have been able to conserve resources (a la Celtic) whilst still making megabucks. Thankfully those days are gone and if the co-efficient drops even further the situation will only get better.

So please explain how money handed to the OF ever ends up in the coffers of HMFC?

Other SPL clubs get occasional transfer fees, but generally speaking we don't do business with the OF. There are very few ways in which we benefit from the OF getting richer.

The refereeing controversy can only be good for Hearts. It would never had happened if Celtic and Rangers were each guaranteed a CL place, as Celtic would have kept their mouths shut.

As was said in the other thread Hearts will benefit in the cups from the OF being fixated with winning the league. The OF will be much weakened by the drop in CL income and their fighting will become ferocious.

Truth is that European football is of no consequence to anyone outside the OF - there is such a tiny financial benefit.

If we were splitting the OF each year I would have a different point of view, but that's not going to happen for a very long time - but it will be more likely if the OF are starved of CL cash and spend up in an effort to outdo each other. During the 2 CL places years the OF have been able to conserve resources (a la Celtic) whilst still making megabucks. Thankfully those days are gone and if the co-efficient drops even further the situation will only get better.

But the coefficient's slumped over the past three years, yet the situation hasn't got better at all. It's got worse - and this season, for them both to start so well was unprecedented.

What happens, I think, is something akin to trickle down economics. When Rangers and Celtic have better teams, they attract more coverage, which reflects on the rest of the SPL. They're able to sign better players and pay more money; and the league as a whole becomes more attractive, meaning clubs like ourselves can gain a higher profile and sign better players, there's more sponsorship across Scottish football, bigger TV deals, and so on. But in turn, this means that when Rangers and Celtic lose money, the rest of us do so as well.

Think back to how strong the OF were a decade ago. They were over the hills and far away as far as the rest of us went; yet despite that, compare Hearts' squad then to our squad now. In terms of quality, there's literally no comparison: we benefited from there being much more money in the Scottish game. And even at a time when Celtic and Rangers have no money, they still have way, way more than the rest of us - meaning their falling quality and revenue has affected them in Europe, but not at home. Such are the colossal advantages they will always enjoy, that's bound to continue I'm afraid, even without CL money.

You'll often see on here things like "fortunately for us, the rest of the league is shite - otherwise we'd be in trouble". But what's always missed is, as Scotland's third biggest club, if we're shite, most of the rest of the league is bound to be more shite; and the same applies to the OF. If they're shite, the rest of us are invariably much more so. You and I both want the same thing: Hearts to prosper, the OF to drown in a vat of their own bile. But a falling coefficient and falling quality across the Scottish game actually seems to entrench us in all our familiar positions even more; it doesn't bring about what we both hope for at all.

Sir Red nose has come out and said the Champions League is better than the World Cup....maybe because there aren't vuvuzelas in the CL but it'll still be the same old boring shite at the end of the day.

Miller Jambo 60

He he he yes it's me Chuck Dung drowning in the tears of yet another failure by Glorious Glasgow Rangers and wishing them well in the Europa League.

I worry for the future of Heart of Midlothian, just thought I'd remind folk of what I've been saying since 2005. Walter, what did you make of that?

Chuck is hanging from a tree, we are hearts :thumbsup:

Miller Jambo 60

But the coefficient's slumped over the past three years, yet the situation hasn't got better at all. It's got worse - and this season, for them both to start so well was unprecedented.

What happens, I think, is something akin to trickle down economics. When Rangers and Celtic have better teams, they attract more coverage, which reflects on the rest of the SPL. They're able to sign better players and pay more money; and the league as a whole becomes more attractive, meaning clubs like ourselves can gain a higher profile and sign better players, there's more sponsorship across Scottish football, bigger TV deals, and so on. But in turn, this means that when Rangers and Celtic lose money, the rest of us do so as well.

Think back to how strong the OF were a decade ago. They were over the hills and far away as far as the rest of us went; yet despite that, compare Hearts' squad then to our squad now. In terms of quality, there's literally no comparison: we benefited from there being much more money in the Scottish game. And even at a time when Celtic and Rangers have no money, they still have way, way more than the rest of us - meaning their falling quality and revenue has affected them in Europe, but not at home. Such are the colossal advantages they will always enjoy, that's bound to continue I'm afraid, even without CL money.

You'll often see on here things like "fortunately for us, the rest of the league is shite - otherwise we'd be in trouble". But what's always missed is, as Scotland's third biggest club, if we're shite, most of the rest of the league is bound to be more shite; and the same applies to the OF. If they're shite, the rest of us are always much more so. You and I both want the same thing: Hearts to prosper, the OF to drown in a vat of their own bile. But a falling coefficient and falling quality across the Scottish game actually seems to entrench us in all our familiar positions even more; it doesn't bring about what we both hope for at all.

Follow rangers shaun , dont think we will

miss you, Ever been to tynecastle or you a wind up :lol:

Sir Red nose has come out and said the Champions League is better than the World Cup....maybe because there aren't vuvuzelas in the CL but it'll still be the same old boring shite at the end of the day.

In terms of quality, he's absolutely right. But as an event, he's completely wrong.

From the last 16 of the CL onwards though, I love it, and think it's a fantastic competition. You're just disdainful of it because Liverpool aren't in it. :P

Follow rangers shaun , dont think we will

miss you, Ever been to tynecastle or you a wind up :lol:

No danger of me ever following that filth, Dougaloo. Have you ever not spent an evening drinking, or would that idea be too crazy even for you? ;)

Johanes de Silentio

The consensus is woefully wrong: it's not my fault if people can't see why! :)

Shaun, you are completely missing the point, which is that nobody cares! :thumbsup:

Shaun, you are completely missing the point, which is that nobody cares! :thumbsup:

Yes! :lol:

However PA, ever heard the saying: "Don't care was made to care"? :ninja:

Miller Jambo 60

No danger of me ever following that filth, Dougaloo. Have you ever not spent an evening drinking, or would that idea be too crazy even for you? ;)

Quite a low attack mate,like you bud but dont get under my skin, so drikin is the devils fiinish

In terms of quality, he's absolutely right. But as an event, he's completely wrong.

From the last 16 of the CL onwards though, I love it, and think it's a fantastic competition. You're just disdainful of it because Liverpool aren't in it. :P

No, it's been boring for years. The removal of the 2nd group stage has done nothing. Not many cards left for UEFA.

Miller Jambo 60

My link

Triple WOOOSH.

Thing is the real gorgie boys are goinmg on sunday

Quite a low attack mate,like you bud but dont get under my skin, so drikin is the devils fiinish

You started it. :thumbsup:

Johanes de Silentio

Yes! :lol:

However PA, ever heard the saying: "Don't care was made to care"? :ninja:

Football today: "it's the biggest game since the last big game - until the next big game!" - IT'S ******* BORING!

Johanes de Silentio

Shaun, mate - as Doug says, that is pretty low! I know you mean well! :thumbsup:

Football today: "it's the biggest game since the last big game - until the next big game!" - IT'S ******* BORING!

I agree. Yet it's also strangely compulsive, and seems to remain so no matter what.

Shaun, mate - as Doug says, that is pretty low! I know you mean well! :thumbsup:

See posts 71 and 79. :)

Johanes de Silentio

I agree. Yet it's also strangely compulsive, and seems to remain so no matter what.

The Champions's League? No, it's not!

The Premiership? No, it's not!

The SPL? No, it's not!

Hearts? Well, aye! :thumbsup:

You'll often see on here things like "fortunately for us, the rest of the league is shite - otherwise we'd be in trouble". But what's always missed is, as Scotland's third biggest club, if we're shite, most of the rest of the league is bound to be more shite; and the same applies to the OF. If they're shite, the rest of us are invariably much more so. You and I both want the same thing: Hearts to prosper, the OF to drown in a vat of their own bile. But a falling coefficient and falling quality across the Scottish game actually seems to entrench us in all our familiar positions even more; it doesn't bring about what we both hope for at all.

Not so sure about the relative strength of Hearts squad 10 or so yrs ago. Just like now we had one good(ish) season followed by 2 years of flirting with mediocrity. JJ's last reign was exactly like this, as was Jordan's and hamster heid just had less than mediocrity from the off. There was no trickle down then and most of the quality players back then were guys we picked up on the cheap in Scotland like Cameron and McCann.

The longer term effects of CL starvation haven't surfaced yet for the OF. Their squads look more barren, but they still retain more quality than the rest. That is no surprise.

Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd are not particularly better or worse than they were 10 yrs ago. All of these clubs have short term blips of form when certain players mature/ journeymen gel / coaches find a wee edge over the rest of the dross, but they always end up back in the pack because talent is transferred or journeymens legs give in or managers run out of motivational team talks. The fun will start if, like in the 80's with Rangers, one or both of the OF get dragged back into the pack. Then you might see a resurgence of clubs below the OF because suddenly there's an opportunity to assert yourself as the second most successful club in the land.

If anything 10-12 yrs ago we had a single club dominance with Rangers whilst Celtic were churning through the shockingly bad managers and players - they look like they are repeating the process again. Rangers had extreme quality in their ranks, but we know what that cost them and the consequences.

In many ways it's the same old Scottish Football that I left behind 13 yrs ago, but now we are on the verge of seeing the OF lose their duopoly and see them fight it out (off the park) for a monopoly. That IMO can only be good for the game up here. The duopoly allowed them to stifle debate about changing and to make a grab for cash.

If a monopoly is up for grabs it is going to create intense friction between the 2 OF teams which can only create more interest in Scottish football.

My hope is that Rangers keep winning the league and the bank keep creaming off the bulk of any money they gain from Europe. Celtic spend up in a desperate attempt to wrestle the league from Rangers, but fail, so they end up in a similar financial hole to the one their cousins are in. Only then will we see the two of them creep closer to the rest of the dross.

It's still boring shite.

Same teams at the top of the same leagues....

Only the Bundes provides any real surprise for a top league.

Dutch is not a top league....!

Sergio Garcia

Shaun low blow on the Doug....

So after you got personal

Ever spent a night not googling?

And may I also say you as a Norwich fan will never understand our hatred for the Old Firm in Europe and every game they play and our love for Hearts so please stop pretending,

At least I know Doug bleeds maroon you dont mate sorry but you just dont.

Shaun low blow on the Doug....

So after you got personal

Ever spent a night not googling?

And may I also say you as a Norwich fan will never understand our hatred for the Old Firm in Europe and every game they play and our love for Hearts so please stop pretending,

At least I know Doug bleeds maroon you dont mate sorry but you just dont.

Doug got in a low blow on me first and got personal, so I responded. And of course I understand folks' hatred of the OF in Europe: I hate them myself! All I'm saying is that falling standards across the board will not help Hearts. If it's a crime to point that out, then well... :whistling:

As an aside E_L, do you honestly think I also have 25,000 plus posts on a Norwich forum anywhere? What do I bleed? Red. Like everyone else, in fact. :rolleyes:

Francis Albert

We haven't even had one season yet when at least one of the OF weren't guaranteed a CL Group place and the (by Scottish standards) untold riches that brings. There is a debate to be had on the coefficient (though I'm with the majority) but to suggest that the success of the OF this season proves something is nonsense.

Archived