Best ever Female Vocalist

gadgey55

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guess The Crowd

3 (equal) Millie Jackson / Etta James / Gladys Knight / Dionne Warwick and many more.

2 Karen Carpenter

1 Dusty Springfield (by miles)

A special mention though to the wonderful and underrated Ellen Foley. Around at the same time as Debbie Harry, except better looking, better voice and made better records. and Mick Jones of the Clash wrote 'Should I stay or should I go' about her.

No mention of Kirsty MacColl ??????

Great singer AND songwriter

crikey, i loved her sooooooooo much. played the album kite to death when i got it. terrific vocalist and wonderful songwriter

Great thread. Most of my favourites have already been mentioned - Nina Simone, Sandy Denny, Joni Mitchell, Liz Fraser, Natalie Merchant, Cat Power. I also like Eddie Reader and Joan As Police Woman, although both suffer from some fairly rank material. Martha Wainwright is a very good singer.

But Joni is head and shoulders above the rest for me. In her most creative decade she went from being a folk singer to fronting what was basically a jazz band, and vocally she covered all points in between. She hit musical heights with the popular song that no-one else before or since has done. Genius.

Sia Furler (just known as Sia) is amazing too.

Breathe Me is a great tune. :thumbsup:

I think you'll find I mentioned her ages ago. Your punishment is to buy me a pint tomorrow evening.

Just a few off the top of ma head...too many to mention to be honest.

Patti Russo

Alicia Keys

Annie Lennox

Reba McIntire

Shania Twain

Toni Braxton

Archived