The what are you reading at the moment fred

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

CavySlaveJambo

I am about to start reading 419gNXaMRfL._SS500_.jpg

Should be intresting.

Also reading Nat Geo magazine times 2 and New Scientist time 2.

Sorry about the picture size didn't realise it would be that big

Edited by helenllama

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Haken

• dougal

• Gigolo-Aunt

• Coco

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Half way through this. How the folk scene in California in the 60's started, moving on to the other music. Lots of stuff on The Byrds, Gram Parsons etc - really interesting read. That Dave Geffen was a bit of a go getter. There is a Cocaine blizzard in the air, about to get messy.

HotelCaliforniaBook.jpg

Half way through this. How the folk scene in California in the 60's started, moving on to the other music. Lots of stuff on The Byrds, Gram Parsons etc - really interesting read. That Dave Geffen was a bit of a go getter. There is a Cocaine blizzard in the air, about to get messy.

HotelCaliforniaBook.jpg

That's a really good read. I'm biased, as the output of all those stoned, laid-back melodic dudes makes up about 50% of my music collection - and there's simply nothing I wouldn't do for Joni. Didn't the BBC do a programme based on this fairly recently?

That's a really good read. I'm biased, as the output of all those stoned, laid-back melodic dudes makes up about 50% of my music collection - and there's simply nothing I wouldn't do for Joni. Didn't the BBC do a programme based on this fairly recently?

Not sure, tbh - it sounds like the kind of program you would find on BBC4.

BB4 is really good for its music docos.

Just started Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 by Hunter S Thompson. Even though I was born in '88, am not American and know very little about American politics from the 60s and 70s, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

To me it shows how good a writer Thompson is, or how much I enjoy him (or both!).

I enjoyed Dirty Havana so much I've bought the follow on, Tropical Animal, for after Campaign Trail. Will probably be popping back onto this thread for a few hints if I'm struggling for something after that.

On The Road Again - Jack Kerouac. It's very...meh.

Got The Rum Diaries then, I think, Dawkins' The Selfish Gene.

I'm assuming you mean on the road by Jack Kerouac.

I can't believe you are describing it as Meh... it is easily one of the best books I have read.

Looking forward to the Rum Diary film. The book is excellent

I would also recommend slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut, it is wonderful

Edited by GforGallo

Nearly finished with Ishmael and after that I'm thinking of revisiting Jurassic Park. Love Michael Crichton, not read JP in aaaaaaages.

I'm assuming you mean on the road by Jack Kerouac.

I can't believe you are describing it as Meh... it is easily one of the best books I have read.

Looking forward to the Rum Diary film. The book is excellent

I would also recommend slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut, it is wonderful

Yep, that's the one. I got through it and enjoyed it more as I went, but I just struggled to see a point to it. I don't think it helped that I found the narrator to be a bit whiny and pseudo-poetic and Dean Moriarty to be an annoying prick.

From Mexico onwards it got better for me, and I could start to appreciate what it was all about, but my mind had pretty much already been made up. Don't get me wrong; there were bits I thought were very, very good but they weren't often enough for my liking.

The People's Chimp

Just started Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 by Hunter S Thompson. Even though I was born in '88, am not American and know very little about American politics from the 60s and 70s, I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

To me it shows how good a writer Thompson is, or how much I enjoy him (or both!).

I enjoyed Dirty Havana so much I've bought the follow on, Tropical Animal, for after Campaign Trail. Will probably be popping back onto this thread for a few hints if I'm struggling for something after that.

Re dirty havana/tropical animal, can I just say "this" as mine arrived from amazon this morning.

As for Hunter, I loved his stuff and devoured it all a few years ago, and as much as I liked the political stuff, I think that (maybe) the rum diary was my favourite Hunter S read. The great shark hunt is a brilliant collection of his stuff, it includes things like fear and loathing on the campaign trail so it's a great way to cover a lot of bases.

I'm just about to start the foundation pit by Platonov. I've heard it's pretty dense stuff, and this is a new translation, which is more faithful to the original Russian. With comparisons to Beckett, and a heavily stylised original - insofar as it is redolent of the doublespeak of life under a dictatorship - with Platonov "deforming language" and making historical and biblical references, I don't think it'll be the lightest read...

screen-shot-2010-12-11-at-15-04-14.png?w=268&h=413

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Just finished the Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larsson and really enjoyed them. Have just started Buddah Da by Anne Donovan and it seems ok so far.

Each to their own dude, but I've finished the first two books of that trilogy and I'm absolutely hating it. Overrated doesn't go close IMO. But like a painful shite, I've started so I'll finish.

This just arrived through the post today:

5102%2BPJYZaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also got some books about the wars in Chechnya for Christmas which I'm looking forward to getting into:

51FTGCGWZGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51YYBYWH0RL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

I am about to start reading 'Pay As You Play: The True Price of Success in the Premier League Era'.

Should be intresting.

Thinking about getting that, worth a read?

Just put that on my kindle today along with 3-10 to Yuma and other stories.

Cant go worng, Benny - nobody ****s with Valdez.

thumbsup.gif

Started reading the following last night. Its a monster of a book so it should keep me busy for a while.

GrossmanLifeandFate.jpg

Snake Plissken

Just started Empire of Silver by Conn Iggulden.

I enjoyed the first three so I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this one.

Finished this on Friday.

A good read though feels like something of a bridge to the next (and probably final) book in the series.

Back to non-fiction with

400000000000000053436_s4.jpg

I'm filling in the gaps in my knowledge about the Roman Empire - well versed in the the first triumvirate so now moving onto the second and the end of the Republic.

Once of polished that off I'm going back to the fall of Carthage.

x31474.jpg

just finished this - i really enjoyed it. how he pulled some of the scams of, i have no idea

currently reading for 2nd time. :thumbsup: btw its not about me :teehee:

x31474.jpg

just finished this - i really enjoyed it. how he pulled some of the scams of, i have no idea

if you liked that mate you will love Snowblind by Robert Sabbag published by canongate books too. :thumbsup:

if you liked that mate you will love Snowblind by Robert Sabbag published by canongate books too. :thumbsup:

Remember reading that on holiday in 2000. Superb read.

read Smokescreen by same author, another good one :thumbsup:

Will check that out.

I take it you dont enjoy books about Japanese POWS <_<

Its next on my to read list. Problem has been nearly every relative sent me a book at Christmas. GA can only read so much.

God darn it.

Chad Sexington

Will check that out.

Its next on my to read list. Problem has been nearly every relative sent me a book at Christmas. GA can only read so much.

God darn it.

WHATEVER!!!

CB025354.jpg

the book of dave by will self. only a few chapters in but its funny so far and i'm getting the hang of the mockney used in the future chapters. its kind of enlightening so far, but i think translating it will be grating by the end of the book.

PeytonPlace2.jpg

Had heard of this book at the time Twin Peaks was first shown on TV. But had not realised just how important it was to the feel of the show. Trashy book but pretty enjoyable.

Any Simon Kernick (British crime fiction), or the numerous Micheal connelly books.

Just finshed 2 linwood barclay books "no time for goodbye" and "Too close to home" thought both were good reads.

The Lost Symbol, Dan Brown. Not too shabby but getting a bit bored of the symbologist stuff now.

The Flood, Ian Rankin. Before Rebus. I enjoyed this, a good coming of age novel set in the ficticious Fife town of Carsden, just outside Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes. Got it for ?1 in Asda, Bargain!

A Steroid hit the Earth, Martin Toesland. Misprints and typos, cannae go wrong! Good for a wee giggle on the pan.

Currently finishing off Conn Igguldens fourth book in the Ceaser series, The Gods Of War and have his fourth in the Gengis Khan series, Empire of Silver, to read after that. My favourite historical novelist, at this moment in time.

This is to be followed up by Dear Boy: The Life of Keith Moon by Tony Fletcher. A very hefty tome for such a short life!

I'm reading a collection of short stories by H.P. Lovecraft just now, only read at the mountains of madness before, I'm enjoying it.

D-Day by Stephen Ambrose.

90 pages in and The Allies are still at the planning stage. Looking forward to the actual invasion.

Superb book.

thumbsup.gif

Read about half of the following last night. For anyone who likes their military books - cant speak highly enough of it.

Singapore sounded a complete farce.

9781405507653.jpg

Read about half of the following last night. For anyone who likes their military books - cant speak highly enough of it.

Singapore sounded a complete farce.

9781405507653.jpg

The patent cure for foot-rot in the camps is interesting.

Didn't the author die at a football match in Inverness?