Big physical side today

Randle P McMurphy

Randle P McMurphy

well for one of the few times since this myth originated, we did line up with a big physical side today. with the exception of suso* and rudi* all of the side today were physically strong and used that power to completely dominate the sheep.

it doesn't do chelsea or man city any harm to line up this way and i think especially away from home it is all about winning your battles. as long as you have creative outlets in your team which we had in rudi and suso (especially today) we won't be a soft touch for anyone

* don't mean suso and rudi don't get stuck in, just that they are not as physically imposing as most of their team mates

Paulie Walnut

Totally agree with you on this. Do not under estimate the difference this makes in the SPL which is really tight ability wise.

Whitecapjambo

Kyle was an absolute beast today, don't think I have seen a hearts striker bully a back 4 like that....ever. The header that was cleared off the line was immense, shrugged off 2 defenders, moving away from goal and still almost scores.

I think in away games it will be good for us to stick with this less flashy, but more physical side. All Mrowiec and Jonsson had to do was win headers/tackles, give the ball to Suso and Rudi and hold their position.

Kyle was an absolute beast today, don't think I have seen a hearts striker bully a back 4 like that....ever. The header that was cleared off the line was immense, shrugged off 2 defenders, moving away from goal and still almost scores.

I think in away games it will be good for us to stick with this less flashy, but more physical side. All Mrowiec and Jonsson had to do was win headers/tackles, give the ball to Suso and Rudi and hold their position.

Good post

Playing witha big physical side means there are two places in the team for Suso, Skacel, Templeton and Driver to fight for. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Driver is fit. Templeton is going to struggle to get back in the side.

Regular occurance for the first couple of years that Clark was around. Kyle is going to prove a great signing - in fact, I'd give him another year on his contract now.

I think we should always have a physical presence. It's a physical game - physical doesn't mean useless though. Motherwell game aside, we're trying to play football especially with the wide players we have. When we get it right, we're looking pretty good. Cut out the approach we had to the Motherwell game and we'll be fine.

well for one of the few times since this myth originated, we did line up with a big physical side today. with the exception of suso* and rudi* all of the side today were physically strong and used that power to completely dominate the sheep.

it doesn't do chelsea or man city any harm to line up this way and i think especially away from home it is all about winning your battles. as long as you have creative outlets in your team which we had in rudi and suso (especially today) we won't be a soft touch for anyone

* don't mean suso and rudi don't get stuck in, just that they are not as physically imposing as most of their team mates

Good post. Don`t let the deluded purists kid you. Across the world the best teams are physical but it maybe isn`t as noticed because they have bundles of ability.

Being physcial doesn`t mean you are kicking teams of the park either. It just means you use your body correctly when required.

Brazil, Spain , Man U , Chelsea etc... Don `t just sit off opponents in and around their own area and just let teams play, they get stuck in alright. Its a part of football that will always remain.

With Hearts, i think JJ is slowly finding the right balance. We have very good creative outlets while also having the right physical presence.

Whitecapjambo

Regular occurance for the first couple of years that Clark was around. Kyle is going to prove a great signing - in fact, I'd give him another year on his contract now.

Yeah, I was pretty young then but point taken.....

I was just really impressed with how we played. Like D4 said, all good teams have a physical element. You need to ball to be able to play with it. Having Jonsson and Mrowiec in the middle of the park ultimatley led to Suso, Elliot, Kyle and Skacel having more of it.

I agree that JJ is slowly getting tha balance right, will be really interesting once all his options are again available. Would love to see us sign a Big centre Mid who could also play a bit (more than the 2 previously mentioned.....in the mould of Viera).

We have been so lightweight for so long. Gutless players in some cases. Players who didn't put any effort in for others. And also teams set up with not enough ballwinners.

Good to see us winning the physical battle on Saturday. It meant that the likes of Suso and Elliot were able to have very good games too because the rest of the team was stronger.

The problem I have with this is that we seem to pick up regular bookings on a weekly basis, these add up in the end. Kevin Kyle got booked today for example, during a very physical performance from him. With referees the way they are, we are leaving ourselves open to this abuse by referees. Skacel two yellows in two weeks as well. Kind of a no-win situation however!

Archived