Top 5 Premiership Goalies (Current)

Konrad von Carstein

Malcolm Tucker

Nobody will ever keep goal the way Big Nev did.

Mon the Binman!

I got Nev's autograph from when he was at Bradford. They were playing at Goodison.

Wonderful moment, my 1st Everton game too.

Napoleon  Wilson

Having a bit of a debate at work about this and thought it might be an idea to take the discussion onto here:

My list,

Cech

Van Der Saar

Craig Gordon (when fit)

Given

Jaaskelienen

They are all top class goal keepers, Jasskelienen is vastly underated. No Peip Reina though? I think he is class, apart from the erm beach ball incident. Could see him leaving Liverpool sooner rather than later.

GoldenChed.png

Thunderstruck

On current form:

Hart

Gilks

Van der Sar

Cech

Friedel

After them, Sorensen, Foster, Robinson.

Craig Gordon should get back in there when fully fit.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks Craig Gordon is one of the five best keepers in the Premiership needs to take their maroon-tinted specs off.

Petr Cech is an excellent goalkeeper. His problem is that after his bad injuries, he has not really recovered his form. Don't get me wrong, he is in the top five but he was about as good as there is anywhere prior to his injuries. He is still ridiculously consistent and an excellent goalkeeper but those ultra brave saves that he used to pull off and the almost unbelievable reactions seem to have eased, just slightly.

Van Der Sar

Reina

Given

Friedel

Cech

In my humble opinion.

Gregory House M.D.

Forgot about Given...

1. Van der Sar

2. Reina

3. Hart

4. Friedel

5. Given

6. Schwarzer

7. Gomis

8. CECH

9. Howard

10. GORDON

Thats where Cech and Gordon would be in mines.

jamboinglasgow

Forgot about Given...

1. Van der Sar

2. Reina

3. Hart

4. Friedel

5. Given

6. Schwarzer

7. Gomis

8. CECH

9. Howard

10. GORDON

Thats where Cech and Gordon would be in mines.

so how is Hart so good? Or do you just follow the over-hype the English media have (I do think he is a good goalkeeper btw but not top 3 in the EPL.)

While I admit HappyGrahamWeir has/does make some ludicrous contributions to this board, some people need to get over themselves on this thread.

It's about personal opinions. People should be able to make theirs without being shot down in flames. He's not the only one to put the likes of Friedel above Cech, and while Scwarzer might not be better than Cech, you can't argue he's not a very good goalie. Arsene Wenger has never been a poor judge of talent!

FWIW, I agree that Petr Cech is deteriorating as a 'keeper. He is a long way short of the form which won him 'keeper of the year a few seasons ago, and Chelsea's recent record is more down to their outstanding outfield players than him. That said, a couple of season's ago he was untouchable, the best 'keeper in the world by far, so he would still make it into my top 5.

Reina

van der Saar

Given

Cech

Hart

Fozzyonthefence

Van der sar

Reina

Cech

Freidel

Harte

I would then choose

Howard

Given

Jasskelinen/Gordon.

People need to calm down with the Gordon is thur best keepr in thur wurld chat. He needs to prove it at the highest level first.

Couldn't you apply that same logic to Harte and possibly Freidel too (not sure if he's played in any World Cups but Harte ceratinly hasn't or even CL)

Gregory House M.D.

so how is Hart so good? Or do you just follow the over-hype the English media have (I do think he is a good goalkeeper btw but not top 3 in the EPL.)

I watched him all last season and he was the most consistent keeper in the league (outwith VDS)

Reina is a fantastic keeper. His distribution is unbelievable, his shot stopping is also great. He can be suspect at crosses, however - which is often the way of the foreign keeper.

Cech isn't as good now that he wears his helmet. Maybe he should remove it.

Van Der Sar has some great games for Utd, although I reckon they're now looking to Replac him.

Hart is looking to be a great player, many years ahead of him too.

Given is also a great keeper, and needs to leave City.

Those are my 5 by the way, no order.

You put Craig in the top 5 goalkeepers in the premiership so excuse me if i don't change mines...

He's better than Schwarzer that's for sure.

Exactly... It's ludicrous to put him anywhere near it considering he can't get a game over Mignola ATM. As good as he was for us he's not been half the keeper at Sunderland because of injuries and a horrific defence.

Has it ever occured to you that him having a broken arm might have an effect on him playing for Sunderland whistling.gif

A horrific defence doesn't stop him being an outstanding goalkeeper...if we were taking defences into account it would be the "Top 5 Premiership Defences" thread, it's not.

Again, thanks for playing thumbsup.gif

I actually think the standard in the EPL is declining.

I don't think Scwarchzer , Jaaskelinen, Friedel eg are playing to the same standard as they were 3 or 4 years ago, both Arsenal keepers continue to have their moments, Cech (EPL champion mind in a tight fisted defence) hasn't recovered his supreme form, VDS has had a couple of very, very good years at Man U, but this season has been flapping at crosses in most away games.

Friedel and Howard (and even Given without playing) continue to be steady, with Gomes imo the biggest improver over the last 2 years.

Hart, for me still far too early for to say. Excellent against Suprs followed up by a very steady international game followed by dropsy (in awful conditions against the Swiss) and a comical error against Villa.

Gregory House M.D.

He's better than Schwarzer that's for sure.

Has it ever occured to you that him having a broken arm might have an effect on him playing for Sunderland whistling.gif

A horrific defence doesn't stop him being an outstanding goalkeeper...if we were taking defences into account it would be the "Top 5 Premiership Defences" thread, it's not.

Again, thanks for playing thumbsup.gif

No he isn't.

I mentioned his injuries but you've CHOSE to ignore that part to have ANOTHER dig at me...

Cheers for making a shop front of yourself.

No he isn't.

I mentioned his injuries but you've CHOSE to ignore that part to have ANOTHER dig at me...

He is, Schwarzer has a more competent defence in front of him than Gordon, something you seem to have overlooked.

You did, but you used Mignolet getting a game in front of him as a reason for Gordon not being good. Craig's injury is the only reason that Mignolet is getting a game, form or ability has zilch to do with it.

thumbsup.gif

Gregory House M.D.

Schwarzer has a more competent defence in front of him than Gordon, something you seem to have overlooked.

thumbsup.gif

Good grief i said this as well which proves you are just having a dig for the sake of it :facepalm:

Good grief i said this as well which proves you are just having a dig for the sake of it :facepalm:

Nope, just saying your reason for picking Schwarzer and discarding Gordon aren't what this thread is about. I did say this about 2 posts ago rolleyes.gif

Nice bit of selective quoting though whistling.gif

Frankenstein Jambo.

In order of the five best...

Peter Czech

Pepe Reina

Shay Given

Craig Gordon (when fit)

Heurelho Gomes

Edwin Van der Sar, while still a quality keeper is becoming more error prone and is now no longer the keeper he once was.

Joe hart is vastly over-rated keeper due to the English hype. Shay Given is a much better keeper.

Ben Foster will be a quality keeper if he cuts out the mistakes and gets first team football.

Happy Graham Weir - :facepalm:

Gregory House M.D.

Peter Czech

Pepe Reina

Shay Given

Craig Gordon (when fit)

Heurelho Gomes

Edwin Van der Sar, while still a quality keeper is becoming more error prone and is now no longer the keeper he once was.

Joe hart is vastly over-rated keeper due to the English hype. Shay Given is a much better keeper.

Ben Foster will be a quality keeper if he cuts out the mistakes and gets first team football.

5 keepers in England better than Edwin Van der Sar... :rofl::facepalm:

Craig Gordon better than Edwin Van der Sar... :facepalm:

Cech hasn't been the same since he started to wear the bunnet.

Paul Robinson is probably the best English goalie, he went through a rough patch and has come out just as good as before. Thankfully England don't give goalies a second chance.

Peter Czech

Pepe Reina

Shay Given

Craig Gordon (when fit)

Heurelho Gomes

For some reason this came into my head while reading these posts.

_47389809_brownlafferty_snsb466.jpg

HGW

Potentially due to Ferdinand and Vidic not always being available, this season VDS has taken it upon himself to throw himself at far too many crosses coming into the box and has had many 'flapping' moments.

Patience is one of the key attributes keepers must have and VDS for a player of is experience isn't shjowing just now. Then again maybe it's because he is finding it difficult to accept he isn't the keeper he was and that is clouding his judgement.

Man U are my English team but I'd go as far saying VDS is one of the weaker keepers in the EPL just now on current form in what I believe is a general declining of standards.

Very difficult to judge keepers against each other but from what i've seen over the past couple of years I'd say Gordon is definitely in that top five no matter how you look at it ... to suggest otherwise is indicative of someone who probably doesn't watch enough of the EPL.

Gregory House M.D.

HGW

Potentially due to Ferdinand and Vidic not always being available, this season VDS has taken it upon himself to throw himself at far too many crosses coming into the box and has had many 'flapping' moments.

Patience is one of the key attributes keepers must have and VDS for a player of is experience isn't shjowing just now. Then again maybe it's because he is finding it difficult to accept he isn't the keeper he was and that is clouding his judgement.

Man U are my English team but I'd go as far saying VDS is one of the weaker keepers in the EPL just now on current form in what I believe is a general declining of standards.

Yes he is coming out early alot this season but when ferdinand and Vidic are back in he'll have more confidence in his defence. Van der Sar will be back to his best soon enough.

I think United should be looking to buy Sergio Asenjo in January though.

I don't think there has ever been a more ironic post on this board. Ever.

1. Van der Sar(very rarely makes high profile blunders aside from just being a great goalie)2. Reina.

3. Cech

4. Given

5. Gordon(bias? maybe, but in all honesty, going by last seasons reports and what we all saw from highlights etc..he saved Sunderland many times in the fashion we know he can and i can`t recall any blunders. Faultless handling again and a strong character who, i have no doubt, could perform at a bigger club....puts him above Hart because he`s proven consistent)

lol, i think i`ll just quote myself before someone else does....

I did say "rarely".... :teehee:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Van Der Sar still the best goalie in the Premiership? laugh.gif

The fact that the mistake was a massive shock highlights how good he usually is. That's genuinely the only mistake I can ever remember from Van Der Sar.

There's not a goalkeeper on any of these lists that hasn't made a high profile blunder. Even Casillas and Buffon have had their fair share.

Means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

The fact that the mistake was a massive shock highlights how good he usually is. That's genuinely the only mistake I can ever remember from Van Der Sar.

There's not a goalkeeper on any of these lists that hasn't made a high profile blunder. Even Casillas and Buffon have had their fair share.

Ach I know that, I was (quite clearly rolleyes.gif) on the wind up down.gif

They all do Thommo, of course. I suppose what stands out the great one are when they do make one

1) Firstly, don't let it affect you for the remainder of that particular game and

2) Learn from it, and don't do it again for some considerable time.

I truely believe this is a great attribute Craig Gordon has.

VDS was a great keeper and very rarely makes mistakes, but as I mentioned earlier on this thread he has been showing general signs of impatience this season and I'm not surprised a fairly high profile blunder was imminent.

Archived