• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gregory House M.D.

I was at that game - randomly.

Great choice in the end though :thumbsup:

:facepalm:

What a lot of pish.

I've coached 13 year olds through to 17 year olds and always tried to do it the right way. I also know many great guys who live for football who have tried to do things the correct way as well, giving up hours and hours of their time for absolutely nothing every single week. Don't think you realise the effort and committment it takes. The problems in Scottish football are far deeper than simply blaming anyone who has coached over the past 30 years.

Interested to hear your response.

So AP where does it go so badly wrong that by the time the kids get to professional status they are miles behind in the basics of modern day football of hold, draw in, pass and move?

One of my work colleagues who coaches kids tells me the exact same thing the coaches teach the kids all the right things about holding the ball up, movement, centre halves not to go to ground for example and so on.

So I'll take it back, it's the pro guys that get it wrong.

I'm not trying to be smart ass but can you give me a brief resume of the key deep rooted areas why we are technically miles behind in the basics of modern day football?

Gregory House M.D.

iyo

I think i can safely say it's a fact... The goal tonight was a cheeky lob over a horribly out of position reserve Goal Keeper :thumbsup:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

So AP where does it go so badly wrong that by the time the kids get to professional status they are miles behind in the basics of modern day football of hold, draw in, pass and move?

One of my work colleagues who coaches kids tells me the exact same thing the coaches teach the kids all the right things about holding the ball up, movement, centre halves not to go to ground for example and so on.

So I'll take it back, it's the pro guys that get it wrong.

I'm not trying to be smart ass but can you give me a brief resume of the key deep rooted areas why we are technically miles behind in the basics of modern day football?

I'm by no means an expert on it and I concede that you do get the sort of bawbags who would rather win cups with 13 year olds than teach them how to pass a ball but it's very unfair to blame volunteers for the state of Scottish football and quite offensive, frankly. We had the same team for 4/5 seasons and while none of them were ever going to make it, they vastly improved their football skills and most of them are still playing to this day. That's all you can ask for. What was the hardest bit was when they found out they could get pished on a Friday night and chat up lassies. Loads of the problems are down to Scottish culture. When I was playing youth football, I remember getting a talk from a nutritionalist and that is something that has stuck with me to this day. When you're a young laddie you lap up that sort of thing as it makes you feel like your pro or something. Why can't we do more of that?

Speaking from personal experience though, volunteer coaches are given an abysmal education by the SFA. I don't know the stats but I'd guess the majority of juvenile coaches just get the very basic badges ... these courses are an utter joke and teach you absolutely nothing about how to develop players.

That for me is the big problem that could be easily fixed.

Not funny the first time. B)

I got to the game in the end. Pretty good performance (apart from the result), esp in the 1st half. Their number 10 was top notch. I take it he is teh ?6m man.

Bannan was esp good for us but for some reason Stark changed the wing he was on and he seemed to drift out of it after that.

Mcguire's goal was just amazing. Worth it for that alone!

Oh and final proof that Scottish football is clearly fecked was when 11,000 of the crowd cheering Martin kicking the ball from one end to the other and straight out for a bye-kick.

All in all loads of endeavour, but beaten by an average but far superior football team and anyone involved with the coaching of Scottish players at any level over the last 20-30 years should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

That's really harsh.

Scottish football is not in a good place but there were plenty positives from last night. Along with the comments re the performance in the Victory Shield win over N Ireland last month (I never saw it but folks on here were raving about it) I think Scotland look ok in the younger age groups. Coaching from now 'til peak is essential if we're to progress. The individual has to want it as well, it's not all about bad coaching.

Oh and btw I applauded what was decent vision from the keeper in spotting that the long ball to Maguire was in. The pass was overhit but if we nail youngsters for trying things then there really is no hope. The keeper didn't go long that often.

Finally I have to agree with the guys who say our team looked knackered after an hour and was amazed at the lack of activity on our bench until after Iceland scored.

And what an awful stand it is. Seriously, the inside looks like a construction site and it's totally devoid of atmosphere. Had a wee laugh at the "Hibernian Tours" holiday firm advertising... I wonder if they promise to get you home by the end of August :lol:

I saw that too LOL :lol:

I bet they don't do open top bus tours!

And what an awful stand it is. Seriously, the inside looks like a construction site and it's totally devoid of atmosphere. Had a wee laugh at the "Hibernian Tours" holiday firm advertising... I wonder if they promise to get you home by the end of August :lol:

This was my first visit to the new stand and I have to say I thought it was far better than it looks in pictures. It did lack atmosphere but the stadium now puts Tynecastle to shame (I'm sorry to say). I sit in Section P at Tynecastle and it takes ages to get out. Last night I was outside in a couple of minutes. The catering facilities were vastly superior as well and no one had to queue for 15 minutes to get a coffee. Last night convinced me we need a new stand a.s.a.p. but of better quality befitting the city's superior team. The pitch, incidentally, looked amazing and could have been mistaken for astroturf...and it was huge.

cba reading the whole thread, but how was Eggert Jonsson? And what position did he play?

This was my first visit to the new stand and I have to say I thought it was far better than it looks in pictures. It did lack atmosphere but the stadium now puts Tynecastle to shame (I'm sorry to say). I sit in Section P at Tynecastle and it takes ages to get out. Last night I was outside in a couple of minutes. The catering facilities were vastly superior as well and no one had to queue for 15 minutes to get a coffee. Last night convinced me we need a new stand a.s.a.p. but of better quality befitting the city's superior team. The pitch, incidentally, looked amazing and could have been mistaken for astroturf...and it was huge.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to agree. Food was great, pitch looked amazing and the new stand had lots of leg room. It is completely devoid of character however cement blocks and green seats, not the best combination.

cba reading the whole thread, but how was Eggert Jonsson? And what position did he play?

Fine, and Centre-half.

Fine, and Centre-half.

Had his head in his hands after McGuire's goal.

Hope he gives Jefferies the heads up on any of his team-mates that are potential signings :thumbsup:

Archived