Holy Week

The Doctor

Christmas has been, to a degree, secularised. Plenty of people who have no faith, indeed no time for organised religion of any sort, are happy to celebrate Christmas as a kind of nice happy holiday where we get together with family or friends and share presents, food, wine and joy. Happy to spend ?100's even ?1000's when the Christian message of Christmas (the incarnation) means nothing to them.

Which is fine, I have no problem with that. It's good that we can celebrate family and friends and have some time off and a good drink and perhaps think about some of the central messages of Christmas (peace, joy, love) without necessarily having the baby Jesus around.

But as we head into Holy Week and approach Good Friday and Easter Sunday, what does Easter mean in a secular 21st century Scotland? Is it just a chocolate glutton fest? Is it just a couple of days off work, a long weekend at the start of Spring? (The very start this year as Easter is so early, the second earliest it can possibly be fact fans).

Or does it have some deeper significance?

What does Easter mean for you?

I don't mean offence however it means absolutely nothing to me.

Not offended in the slightest. I appreciate your honesty and candour.

Please don't refrain from posting in case you offend, I genuinely want to know your thoughts and feelings.

Ryan Gosling

It doesn't mean lot to me, but it means something to members of my family so as such, it means something to me in that way.

Just another Hallmark holiday.(No offence)

Also Creme Eggs are still getting smaller.

How is that possible?

Means nothing to me also.

Actually, it does mean that i get a week's break from classes and hospital so I can tackle the essays due to be handed in over the next 2 months.

Two days off work.

ditto, and I beg forgiveness at being such an ignoramus but why is it held at different times every year

ditto, and I beg forgiveness at being such an ignoramus but why is it held at different times every year

It's based on the lunar calendar, which is how the Jews determine when the Passover is.

"The first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox".

Apparently.

It's also a pagan thing. We Christians nicked it off the pagans for whom it was the spring celebration, rebirth and stuff, hence all the fertility symbols, eggs, rabbits etc. Nothing to do with the death and resurrection of Christ in the first place, although that probably happened around this time of year.

to me it used to mean the beeb would show jesus christ superstar which i always loved, and to this day, think its the best thing lloyd webber ever EVER wrote.

nowadays it just means a long weekend.

i never grew up religious particularly, but was an excellent sunday school student and used to have loads of awards and bits and pieces.

you know, the gold fishes, certificates & stuff. i still have my old bible though

have to say the longer in tooth i get, and the more cynical i become, i do wonder what place religion actually has in society anymore, since people seem totally oblivious to the teaching, and the only ones i REALLY think people ought to abide by, such as respect and forgiveness

It's based on the lunar calendar, which is how the Jews determine when the Passover is.

"The first Sunday after the first full moon on or after the vernal equinox".

Apparently.

It's also a pagan thing. We Christians nicked it off the pagans for whom it was the spring celebration, rebirth and stuff, hence all the fertility symbols, eggs, rabbits etc. Nothing to do with the death and resurrection of Christ in the first place, although that probably happened around this time of year.

Thanks, I am in no way religious so I am just grateful for a couple of days off, especially just now , it's been the year from hell and we're just in March.

Easter is not significant as a religious event, unless you believe in that sort of thing. Humans marked the changes of the seasons before christian religions were invented, and no doubt they will continue to do so when christian religions are no longer part of the cultural scene. I like the fact that we mark the arrival of spring in some fashion. For me it's the day the hour is added to the clock, and the extra light in the evening always cheers me up. Sunday, March 30 this year. :)

As I am not a Christian, Easter has no spiritual meaning to me, however I would imagine that for Christians it is probably the most important event in their calendar.

I did like the Robert Powell "Jesus of Nazareth" tv mini-series as a kid so if they put that on again that's alright.

Stewart MacD

Holy week, shmoly week. The local Taliban decree that some of Sydney's biggest shopping malls are closed on Friday and Monday - for other bank holidays they are open. At least in my area most shops (apart from those in the mall) trade as normal. One of the many benefits of having many Shanghainese around!

This is the 21st century since the death of the Divine Julius - get over it!

Archived