How much longer...

jamboinglasgow

Tommy Wiseau

Thommo,

I wouldn't put NI up there as a shining example of modern day football. What have they qualified for in recent times? Close once but ultimately 2 games short. Also it was against the Italians who are notorious for just doing enough over the course of a campaign.

I reckon Scotland irrespective of how hopeless we are, could give anyone a decent game at Tynecastle for example.

I completely agree about the nature of no strker but I still stand by my ascertion that the problems are more deep rooted than a simple no outball.

This is also no excuse for Levein, but at least we could see his system. Over the course of the next few days Smith and McLeish will be lauded for their failures as Scotland manager and Belarus at home and Georgia away won't be mentioned where christ knows what they were trying to do.

I think I've maybe failed to make myself clear. I completely agree that the problems are much more deep rooted than just a formation or a set of tactics, and I've said as much elsewhere. The problems run right through the game. They're just manifesting at the top levels.

I'm also not holding NI up as an example of what to aspire to; quite the opposite, in fact. I'm holding NI and Estonia up as examples of teams who are weaker than us, have worse records than us and who were playing stronger teams than we were, yet still made more of an attempt to win their games than we did. What I'm trying to say is that we have sunk so low now that we don't even believe in ourselves as much as Estonia do. That's unforgivable IMO. Estonia, for instance, have such a collection of leading lights in their side that the biggest club side one of their players belongs to is Middlesbrough. We might be pish, but we can choose from players with Champions League winners medals, Premiership experience, UEFA Cup Final experience, players who have won things all through their careers - we should be doing better than going to a fallen Czech Republic and not even trying to score a goal.

I agree that we should be able to give anyone a game at a tight stadium like Tynie - but that just opens up more questions over why we can't give sides a game at the moment; AND why we spunked hundreds of millions on a national stadium when we have some perfectly adequate stadiums to choose from in our central belt.

Finally, you're right to point out that Smith and McLeish had a couple of horrible results and performances in their times as manager. That said, they balanced that off with some outstanding performances and a sense among fans and players that we were giving it everything to try and move forward as a nation. Smith and McLeish showed that even failing to qualify doesn't have to be a completely abject experience from start to finish.

CL and Scotlands fear of losing is what's wrong in the country.

We went out with no strikers hoping to snatch a 0-0 draw.

Why not just have a go. You never know. It would have given the Czechs something to think about and even if it didn't I'd rather Scotland got beat 3 or 4-1 rather than that pish.

Football is meant to be entertaining and watching tactics like that, it is pretty far from entertaining.

boy_in_maroon

a defensive formation (imo) is ok if the game is over 2 legs and you have a decent lead from the first leg, but to go into a game where we needed goals, with such a negative formation must have had every Scottish supporter puzzled, none of the other home nations would have set up a team in this way against such opposition, its still early in the competition, but we have made it extremely difficult for ourselves, as for levien, well we as hearts fans know how defensive minded he is, and always said that he may benefit from a robbo, mccoist, ect, ect. to assist him in the overall managing of the team.

but on the 3 games played 4 points gained....... it could have been 9 in a positive frame of mind, you need goals to win games, not a 10 man defence, he must know the mistake he has made, it has to be repaired, or this is another major competition that Scotland again shall be absent from.. and Scotland looking for another manager

Harry Palmer

Iwelumo should've been up front as the 1.

As I said last night, can't see further than our own nose...therefore nothing will change.

Jamie Mackie is probably sick of Scotland already, stuck on the right as a 2nd full back...

:thumbsup:

I think I've maybe failed to make myself clear. I completely agree that the problems are much more deep rooted than just a formation or a set of tactics, and I've said as much elsewhere. The problems run right through the game. They're just manifesting at the top levels.

I'm also not holding NI up as an example of what to aspire to; quite the opposite, in fact. I'm holding NI and Estonia up as examples of teams who are weaker than us, have worse records than us and who were playing stronger teams than we were, yet still made more of an attempt to win their games than we did. What I'm trying to say is that we have sunk so low now that we don't even believe in ourselves as much as Estonia do. That's unforgivable IMO. Estonia, for instance, have such a collection of leading lights in their side that the biggest club side one of their players belongs to is Middlesbrough. We might be pish, but we can choose from players with Champions League winners medals, Premiership experience, UEFA Cup Final experience, players who have won things all through their careers - we should be doing better than going to a fallen Czech Republic and not even trying to score a goal.

I agree that we should be able to give anyone a game at a tight stadium like Tynie - but that just opens up more questions over why we can't give sides a game at the moment; AND why we spunked hundreds of millions on a national stadium when we have some perfectly adequate stadiums to choose from in our central belt.

Finally, you're right to point out that Smith and McLeish had a couple of horrible results and performances in their times as manager. That said, they balanced that off with some outstanding performances and a sense among fans and players that we were giving it everything to try and move forward as a nation. Smith and McLeish showed that even failing to qualify doesn't have to be a completely abject experience from start to finish.

:thumbsup:

I suppose we could always add that at least against Bordeaux Levein played De Vries so even last night he surpassed (sic) his greatest ever defensive achievement.

So why do Scotland managers like playing defensive football? Because quite simply we have to as any player we come up against overseas is more skillful and better at holding the ball then the average Scot international.

But I think Scotland managers stiffle our players creativity and seem to almost drum into them they're not as good as other teams so this is the way we have to play. Dorrans is hailed by some as the best thing since Jim Baxter, Morrison and Fletcher are creative players and in Hutton and Whittaker we have two of the most attcking fullbacks we've had in years.

Why not just let them go out and play??

I had no issue with CL dropping Miller and playing Mackie instead but only if Mackie was going to play up front as a striker. What is the point in taking a 8 goal forward and asking him to play as a defensive right midfielder?! He would have been better off picking Ryan Stevenson!!!

Seriously, Franko, you're fast becoming my new favourite poster with this new leaf you've turned. Some signature. :rofl:

Bet you wish you'd just taken it in this good humour from the start, eh?

On topic, there are deep, deep rooted problems in the Scottish game, and it starts from the top. I think the media and the fans are side issues; the rot is more of a problem in grass roots coaching, the old boys' club running the game and the self-interest of club sides.

I've given up hope of them ever learning and giving the game the shake up it needs. Get used to these results, because they're going to keep on coming.

It is that simple ! Anyone who wants to find out why we are so shite at football as a nation then turn up to watch the youth teams or even saturday league football games. Anyone with any little bit of skilled is chopped out of the game at a early age. I've seen it many times, even in high school games when talent is cast aside for a 'big lad' ! Look at the forgein lads we brought in a few years ago, maybe the were little shites with big egos but were they really given a chance because they did not want to do the ulgy things in football !

There were people wantted robbie back becuase they thought he was abetter choice then wee thomo ! Its a culture thing that we need to change. One solution is for refs to come down really hard on tackling at grass roots level, trust me by the time these guys make it pro they will level to become mentilty and physically strong, they don't need it rammed into them at 12 years old !

But I think Scotland managers stiffle our players creativity and seem to almost drum into them they're not as good as other teams so this is the way we have to play. Dorrans is hailed by some as the best thing since Jim Baxter, Morrison and Fletcher are creative players and in Hutton and Whittaker we have two of the most attcking fullbacks we've had in years.

Why not just let them go out and play??

I had no issue with CL dropping Miller and playing Mackie instead but only if Mackie was going to play up front as a striker. What is the point in taking a 8 goal forward and asking him to play as a defensive right midfielder?! He would have been better off picking Ryan Stevenson!!!

On last nights profermence i would doubt if he can even just pass the ball forward ! I'll give you Hutton, but Whittaker was awful and sum his day up when he could have put the ball in the middle but went for goal and it ended up in row ZZ !

The truth of the matter is, the czechs were awful as well. It was almost like the last game against lechinstein, but the roles were reserved. The Czechs, were very low on confidence but Levein's tactics let them off the hook.

There's been nothing like last night ever before in Scotland's international history. Bad results yes, surprise defeats yes. But never before putting out a side which was designed to have no chance of winning.

The only good thing is that Levein's masterplan of getting a Premiership management job has all but evaporated already.

This is the heart of the matter. Like many of the oldies on here, I grew up watching Scotland in the late '60s and through the '70s. It was a rollercoaster. Often brilliant - transcendent even - and often rotten. Often over-confident and frequently a rabble. The '80s were a bit different; slightly more hard-nosed with less genius on show. Slightly less likely to implode too. And the qualifications continued.

Then we get to 1990, and by then the negativity has set in, recognisable as a trademark of Roxburgh's team. One Italian paper describes the defeat against Costa Rica as being evidence of "prehistoric football". The obvious benefit of playing with verve and swagger against Sweden in the next game is ignored for the crucial last match against a mediocre Brazil, where we set out to obtain a 0-0 draw in a game we need to win and fail with a miserable, craven performance. I still remember watching that embarrassment with a group of disbelieving Germans.

We have the odd qualification in the '90s, but the die is cast. With precious few exciting wins to lift the general gloom, we have been playing awful football in the main for the last twenty years and are now known for it. We're not even good at being negative. Even Berti's "help yourselves to goals, guys" free-gift philosophy wasn't a lot of fun.

But last night was a whole new ball game, an evil refinement of an already excruciatingly limited tactics book. A manager who would have been happy never to have crossed the half-way line as long as his players had achieved a 0-0 draw. Make no mistake, the Czechs are pretty poor. But just how poor, we didn't get the chance to find out. Anti-football.

Let's hope it was a watershed.

I watched Germany - Turkey later on yesterday evening. It was like watching a different sport.

Chad Sexington

This is the heart of the matter. Like many of the oldies on here, I grew up watching Scotland in the late '60s and through the '70s. It was a rollercoaster. Often brilliant - transcendent even - and often rotten. Often over-confident and frequently a rabble. The '80s were a bit different; slightly more hard-nosed with less genius on show. Slightly less likely to implode too. And the qualifications continued.

Then we get to 1990, and by then the negativity has set in, recognisable as a trademark of Roxburgh's team. One Italian paper describes the defeat against Costa Rica as being evidence of "prehistoric football". The obvious benefit of playing with verve and swagger against Sweden in the next game is ignored for the crucial last match against a mediocre Brazil, where we set out to obtain a 0-0 draw in a game we need to win and fail with a miserable, craven performance. I still remember watching that embarrassment with a group of disbelieving Germans.

We have the odd qualification in the '90s, but the die is cast. With precious few exciting wins to lift the general gloom, we have been playing awful football in the main for the last twenty years and are now known for it. We're not even good at being negative. Even Berti's "help yourselves to goals, guys" free-gift philosophy wasn't a lot of fun.

But last night was a whole new ball game, an evil refinement of an already excruciatingly limited tactics book. A manager who would have been happy never to have crossed the half-way line as long as his players had achieved a 0-0 draw. Make no mistake, the Czechs are pretty poor. But just how poor, we didn't get the chance to find out. Anti-football.

I watched Germany - Turkey later on yesterday evening. It was like watching a different sport.

Very, very fine post.

I used to love watching Scotland. After last nights fiasco I might not even watch the Spain game.

It's just as well we have no chance of qualifing for a major tournament because playing that kind of pathetic, cowardly football on a world stage would be shameful.

On last nights profermence i would doubt if he can even just pass the ball forward ! I'll give you Hutton, but Whittaker was awful and sum his day up when he could have put the ball in the middle but went for goal and it ended up in row ZZ !

The truth of the matter is, the czechs were awful as well. It was almost like the last game against lechinstein, but the roles were reserved. The Czechs, were very low on confidence but Levein's tactics let them off the hook.

Ok they're your opinions on individual players but that is not my point. What i'm saying is, as a team unit they were not allowed to play football. Until they fell behind.

Like Chad Sexington say it's shameful.

shaun.lawson

Mmm... but how much of the above is simply because of how much football has changed over the last 20 or 30 years, with law changes turning it into a borderline non-contact sport, and many, many nations gaining in understanding and technique, and becoming increasingly proficient? Turkey are one such example: 14 years after losing 8-0 to England, they were finishing 3rd in the world, and such is the size of their population and their passion for the game, their potential is almost limitless.

England and Scotland could have moved with the times - but neither did, and it's now harder than ever to paper over the cracks, leaving international coaches with little option other than to play very defensively. It's also harder than ever for a nation of 5 million with an incredibly successful league to the south, surrounded by water and with very cold winters (island nations in northern Europe always struggle with technique and are dull to watch) to punch above its weight: not least because the international game isn't respected as it once was, as both Walter Smith and Alex McLeish proved.

Mmm... but how much of the above is simply because of how much football has changed over the last 20 or 30 years, with law changes turning it into a borderline non-contact sport, and many, many nations gaining in understanding and technique, and becoming increasingly proficient? Turkey are one such example: 14 years after losing 8-0 to England, they were finishing 3rd in the world, and such is the size of their population and their passion for the game, their potential is almost limitless.

England and Scotland could have moved with the times - but neither did, and it's now harder than ever to paper over the cracks, leaving international coaches with little option other than to play very defensively. It's also harder than ever for a nation of 5 million with an incredibly successful league to the south, surrounded by water and with very cold winters (island nations in northern Europe always struggle with technique and are dull to watch) to punch above its weight: not least because the international game isn't respected as it once was, as both Walter Smith and Alex McLeish proved.

There's no doubt that a lot of factors have changed. Other countries with massively larger populations, harder-working players, more intelligent players, better diets and healthier lifestyles have overtaken us effortlessly. We have actually gone backwards in terms of technique and the physical specimens we produce.

That said, we are still not that bad that we should be playing what Levein served up on Friday night. There is no-one in Europe playing football as badly as we do at the moment. Norway pissed all over us recently. Liechtenstein outplayed us. Lithuania gave Spain a test last night and attacked them. We didn't trouble the Czech goalie once - he got the ball in the face from his own defender, but that was it. Craven, gutless, miserable, worthless. You'd be crazy to go to a stadium and watch that stuff unless you were doing it because it was ingrained in you. And it certainly won't be ingrained in future generations.

I don't mind defensive tactics. Didn't mind Levein as Hearts manager, didn't particularly mind Csaba either. But 4-6-0 last night was a bridge too far. The performance was a complete insult to the poor *******s that travelled to see it.

shaun.lawson

There's no doubt that a lot of factors have changed. Other countries with massively larger populations, harder-working players, more intelligent players, better diets and healthier lifestyles have overtaken us effortlessly. We have actually gone backwards in terms of technique and the physical specimens we produce.

That said, we are still not that bad that we should be playing what Levein served up on Friday night. There is no-one in Europe playing football as badly as we do at the moment. Norway pissed all over us recently. Liechtenstein outplayed us. Lithuania gave Spain a test last night and attacked them. We didn't trouble the Czech goalie once - he got the ball in the face from his own defender, but that was it. Craven, gutless, miserable, worthless. You'd be crazy to go to a stadium and watch that stuff unless you were doing it because it was ingrained in you. And it certainly won't be ingrained in future generations.

I don't mind defensive tactics. Didn't mind Levein as Hearts manager, didn't partulicularly mind Csaba either. But 4-6-0 last night was a bridge too far. The performance was a complete insult to the poor *******s that travelled to see it.

One other point about last night. That Levein inherited such a poor side, with zero confidence whatsoever can't be ignored. I've mentioned Jack Charlton elsewhere - and his early results and performances as Ireland manager were horrific. But as results improved and players bought into his methods, confidence and performances improved too: it was a virtuous cycle.

In Levein's case, it's still very early days - and the Liechtenstein game showed that Scotland have largely forgotten how to make the play or boss a game, no matter how poor the opponents. 11 years ago, Hearts underwent an appalling run of form, culminating in being turned over 3-0 at Tynecastle by Hibs. What JJ did was go 4-6-0 (actually, more like 9-1-0!) at Ibrox in the next match: attracting huge criticism in the press and from Dick Advocaat, but going within a few seconds of a 0-0 draw against hugely superior opponents.

Jefferies was trying to pull everyone together and get them working for one another. Such was how low their confidence was, nothing more ambitious than that could be attempted. I think it's a similar story in Levein's case. But if results start to come and confidence rises, then he'll be more able to aim for something more. Meaning, were Scotland to qualify for either Euro 2012 or the World Cup, you won't be as painful to watch in the finals as you were in Prague - because you'll have to become a much more dangerous, confident side in order to get there.

One other point about last night. That Levein inherited such a poor side, with zero confidence whatsoever can't be ignored. I've mentioned Jack Charlton elsewhere - and his early results and performances as Ireland manager were horrific. But as results improved and players bought into his methods, confidence and performances improved too: it was a virtuous cycle.

In Levein's case, it's still very early days - and the Liechtenstein game showed that Scotland have largely forgotten how to make the play or boss a game, no matter how poor the opponents. 11 years ago, Hearts underwent an appalling run of form, culminating in being turned over 3-0 at Tynecastle by Hibs. What JJ did was go 4-6-0 (actually, more like 9-1-0!) at Ibrox in the next match: attracting huge criticism in the press and from Dick Advocaat, but going within a few seconds of a 0-0 draw against hugely superior opponents.

Jefferies was trying to pull everyone together and get them working for one another. Such was how low their confidence was, nothing more ambitious than that could be attempted. I think it's a similar story in Levein's case. But if results start to come and confidence rises, then he'll be more able to aim for something more. Meaning, were Scotland to qualify for either Euro 2012 or the World Cup, you won't be as painful to watch in the finals as you were in Prague - because you'll have to become a much more dangerous, confident side in order to get there.

Far from being a backs-to-the-wall performance against vastly superior opponents that will have bonded the players, Friday's shambles could well have done irreparable damage to Levein's position, our prospects of qualifying, player morale and the bond between long-suffering fans and country. You could tell that the studio pundits - none of them daft - were horrified by what they were seeing. There was absolutely no reason to play no attacking threat against a team that had just lost at home to Lithuania and obviously had a shaky defence. As misjudgements go, it was a colossal one.

As I said above, I hope it will be some kind of watershed. Never again should a Scotland team take the field with that formation.

Far from being a backs-to-the-wall performance against vastly superior opponents that will have bonded the players, Friday's shambles could well have done irreparable damage to Levein's position, our prospects of qualifying, player morale and the bond between long-suffering fans and country. You could tell that the studio pundits - none of them daft - were horrified by what they were seeing. There was absolutely no reason to play no attacking threat against a team that had just lost at home to Lithuania and obviously had a shaky defence. As misjudgements go, it was a colossal one.

As I said above, I hope it will be some kind of watershed. Never again should a Scotland team take the field with that formation.

Roddy Forsyth wasn't. If the work rate, team ethic etc was improved from previous games, that in itself represents progress. And if the players didn't believe in what they'd been told to do, they'd surely have conceded a lot earlier, and lost by a lot more than 0-1.

Roddy Forsyth wasn't. If the work rate, team ethic etc was improved from previous games, that in itself represents progress. And if the players didn't believe in what they'd been told to do, they'd surely have conceded a lot earlier, and lost by a lot more than 0-1.

That the Czechs didn't score earlier was entirely down to their not actually being very good rather than our formation working well. They were gifted possession time and again both by our defence and our midfield (not part of the masterplan, surely?), which of course had two options - pass the ball across the pitch and risk being intercepted or blooter the ball up the pitch to no-one. The tactics ensured that the game was played almost exclusively in our half and that the Czechs were able to come at us at will.

That the Czechs didn't score earlier was entirely down to their not actually being very good rather than our formation working well. They were gifted possession time and again both by our defence and our midfield (not part of the masterplan, surely?), which of course had two options - pass the ball across the pitch and risk being intercepted or blooter the ball up the pitch to no-one. The tactics ensured that the game was played almost exclusively in our half and that the Czechs were able to come at us at will.

We'll see. Personally, I think Czech Republic 1-0 Scotland is par for the course; and Scotland 1-0 Czech Republic when the sides meet at Hampden would be slightly better than par. Scotland need to beware of winning that game 2-1, though; because when teams finish level, UEFA use head-to-heads rather than goal difference.

I think it's a similar story in Levein's case. But if results start to come and confidence rises, then he'll be more able to aim for something more. Meaning, were Scotland to qualify for either Euro 2012 or the World Cup, you won't be as painful to watch in the finals as you were in Prague - because you'll have to become a much more dangerous, confident side in order to get there.

I can't be sure how it came across on the box Shaun as I've not built up the will to have a flick through it on Sky+ as yet but there is no doubt in my mind having been at the match and therefore in a position to watch the body language, attitude, frustration, exasperation etc of many of the Scotland team last night that if it is a pulling together or siege mentality that CL is targeting it is going tits up thus far.

Last night I found myself in the unfortunate position of having nowhere to go in defending someone who I thought was a good appointment for Scotland. I still like and respect Craig Levein but there was absolutely no justification for what I and over 7000 other travelling fans (as well as the tens of thousands back home) endured last night. The fact that he and his staff were unable to adapt and change when it was so incredibly evident that we needed a focal point to at least offer a target and an outlet was just staggering. That we fortunately got to half time with no score should have been the catalyst to regroup and make some alterations but we were actually worse in the 2nd half.

Not one Scotland fan I spoke to thought it necessary to be gung ho or play in a manner which would leave us exposed, indeed many agreed that we needed to be cautious but the tactics we adopted simply galvanised a mediocre Czech side at the same time as leaving our own players completely flat. The fact this happened in a ground which felt like a virtual home match was even more galling. Levein is correct in his opinion that we are limited but he is actually doing several of his players a complete disservice reigning in their opportunity to at least attempt to express themselves and all it did was lead to frustration and in my opinion resentment. I do not believe it is a particularly together or happy camp despite the comments of couple of players in the aftermath. Of course he is not there to be liked and as you rightly say it is to early to judge him in an overall sense but he needs to be very careful now as he really did lose a hell of a lot of respect, credibility and goodwill for his tactics and maybe moreso his after match comments and apparent blase musings.

Despite the way he came across last night I suspect CL will struggle to sleep over the next night or two given the monumental task he faces on Tuesday night. Of course expectation is incredibly low for a positive outcome but every decision is going to be dissected over the next few days given the nature of the Prague 'performance' and a heavy defeat is going to mean a hell of a lot of pressure falling on his shoulders which despite the limited options I genuinely feel he has brought upon himself.

I think you are spot on in your assessment of last nights debacle. I'm really disappointed in how Craig has gone about this and the feeling was one being voiced by fans of all ages (however long suffering) and club allegiances in the bars of Prague last night. We have missed a great opportunity in the two away games against two extremely mediocre sides. I'd go as far as to say that we should have been looking for 4pts out of those two matches given the quality of the opposition and CL gave a completely unjustifiable amount of respect to the Czechs (nevemind a rubbish Lithuanian side last month). God alone knows what he was thinking standing in the technical area but him, Houston and Black must have been the only Scotsman in the stadium who could not see the blindingly obvious.

Shaun dot Lawson,

Levein is a clueless tit that thinks he is some kind of visionary tactical mastermind. The formation did not work at all, everyone could see that. Except Levein, he says he'd use it again. He even said that, in the future, everyone would be playing with no strikers. I don't think I've ever been so embarrassed watching a Scotland game in my life.

I posted this after the game:

I can't remember being so frustrated watching a Scotland game. I was reasonably happy when I saw the line-up as I thought we might line up in a counter-attacking 4-2-3-1 formation (although Mackie would have been my 4th choice up front). But 4-6-0? Seriously? WTF was that all about? I wanted see a line-up primarily set up to defend but that was ridiculous.

First of all, the Czechs aren't that good. In the first few minutes they looked nervous and we giving the ball away, but we didn't press their centre-halves at all (due to the lack of a striker). As a result, they were camped in our half for the entire 90 minutes, they grew in confidence and it was only a matter of time before they scored. The most successful teams defend from the front (in fact, all ******* teams defend from the front) it's part of defending. By playing 4-6-0 we actually put our defence under much more pressure.

Attacking wise, whenever we picked the ball up at the back, they were already camped in our half and pressing us. There were no options for forward passes as the 6 all stood in a straight line about midway through our own half.

I could see it clearly wasn't working about 20 minutes in and it needed changing yet it took a goal before he changed anything. It was far too late by then. Their defence was far from invincible. He then said after the game that he thought it worked up until they scored! What a missed opportunity and a waste of two years. Levein is utterly clueless and won't get us anywhere, I'm sad to say. That isn't just based on tonight, but all of the games so far and his failure to accept his mistakes.

Archived