How much longer...

jamboinglasgow

jamboinglasgow

I know we lost today due to a manager's mistake in a formation that was ultra-defensive, and I know this may sound a knee-jerk thread but I have thought this for the last few weeks. But there are elements in a few things in that match and the run up that are fault in our game.

So the question is how much longer till we finally decide something must be change?

Formation

We had a couple of Scottish managers in the last five years. Burley tried attacking, failed. Smith and McLeish did a more defensive formation that provide some success but ultimatly was a failure in getting us to qualify (after doing well against big teams and failing against some of the smaller teams. Levein is simply doing this the nth degree, sadly it is not working either.

So why do Scotland managers like playing defensive football? Because quite simply we have to as any player we come up against overseas is more skillful and better at holding the ball then the average Scot international. Which asks big questions of why are we not creating the right players, players that cant control, pass or have the mental tactical. We need to be prepared to look past 4-4-2, be more intelligent with our formations, get over the fear of 4-5-1 most fans and managers have where it can be an attacking formation rather then a negative one like we expect. We need a change in attitude in our football, quite simply, from coaches, players and even fans we need to change our attitudes.

Media

Sadly the media will have fun tomorrow with their headlines, and quite honestly I agree with Levein that I think some papers are not wanting Scotland to win. Not going to far as saying they want Scotland to lose but I think they are a hindrance for Scotland rather then a benefit. There are intelligent football journalists in Scotland, but there are many more who look at football in a very unintelligent way that is just a series for very basic arguments made to look more important then they are. The media can have a very powerful role in Scottish football, they could lead campaigns to change parts of Scottish football but they are no more then someone with another opinon, sadly one which people treat as their own in discussions and use to pressurise the wrong people.

Fans

We also have to change and admit we are wrong. Take two Scottish strikers playing today, Iwelumo and Mackie. Iwelumo has forever treated as an awful striker for a freak miss. People cast away his Championship form because of 'that miss.' The amount of people I have heard on here and under news stories in the last week who wrote off Mackie because 'well I haven't heard of him.' How on earth is that a good argument? Its like on Match of the Day a couple of weeks ago when Alan Shearer said after Hatem Ben Arfa scored a screamer for Newcastle that 'he was a player that no one had heard of' despite the fact that he was one for France's top prospects over the last five years and had been regularly been linked to the big four in England. We have to give trust to managers, and change our attitude to some of our football (like I have mentioned earlier) and that goes from international, to club level, to youth football.

There is so much we need to change but we have to start soon. We cant keep talking around it and doing nothing.

I know we lost today due to a manager's mistake in a formation that was ultra-defensive, and I know this may sound a knee-jerk thread but I have thought this for the last few weeks. But there are elements in a few things in that match and the run up that are fault in our game.

So the question is how much longer till we finally decide something must be change?

Formation

We had a couple of Scottish managers in the last five years. Burley tried attacking, failed. Smith and McLeish did a more defensive formation that provide some success but ultimatly was a failure in getting us to qualify (after doing well against big teams and failing against some of the smaller teams. Levein is simply doing this the nth degree, sadly it is not working either.

So why do Scotland managers like playing defensive football? Because quite simply we have to as any player we come up against overseas is more skillful and better at holding the ball then the average Scot international. Which asks big questions of why are we not creating the right players, players that cant control, pass or have the mental tactical. We need to be prepared to look past 4-4-2, be more intelligent with our formations, get over the fear of 4-5-1 most fans and managers have where it can be an attacking formation rather then a negative one like we expect. We need a change in attitude in our football, quite simply, from coaches, players and even fans we need to change our attitudes.

Media

Sadly the media will have fun tomorrow with their headlines, and quite honestly I agree with Levein that I think some papers are not wanting Scotland to win. Not going to far as saying they want Scotland to lose but I think they are a hindrance for Scotland rather then a benefit. There are intelligent football journalists in Scotland, but there are many more who look at football in a very unintelligent way that is just a series for very basic arguments made to look more important then they are. The media can have a very powerful role in Scottish football, they could lead campaigns to change parts of Scottish football but they are no more then someone with another opinon, sadly one which people treat as their own in discussions and use to pressurise the wrong people.

Fans

We also have to change and admit we are wrong. Take two Scottish strikers playing today, Iwelumo and Mackie. Iwelumo has forever treated as an awful striker for a freak miss. People cast away his Championship form because of 'that miss.' The amount of people I have heard on here and under news stories in the last week who wrote off Mackie because 'well I haven't heard of him.' How on earth is that a good argument? Its like on Match of the Day a couple of weeks ago when Alan Shearer said after Hatem Ben Arfa scored a screamer for Newcastle that 'he was a player that no one had heard of' despite the fact that he was one for France's top prospects over the last five years and had been regularly been linked to the big four in England. We have to give trust to managers, and change our attitude to some of our football (like I have mentioned earlier) and that goes from international, to club level, to youth football.

There is so much we need to change but we have to start soon. We cant keep talking around it and doing nothing.

I feel your pain but disagree with a fair amount of what you say here. Having just witnessed that game I think the biggest problem we had was entirely self imposed - the tactical error you mentioned as the 'mistake'? I don't think our problem had anything to do with ability and everything to do with confidence in the ability we have.

I promise you if I was playing midfield for the Czech's tonight I would have looked good, and I can assure you I am shite at football.

I think we are a third rate football nation who must aspire to become a second rate football nation ( because otherwise what is the point ) and tonight we were a third rate football team who had well and truly settled for that mantle - I am gutted.

I am ashamed to admit that by the end I was hoping for more from Bednar just because he used to play for u. We deserved nothing out of the game.

I blame no one but the manager. It is in my opinion not ok to give any team more respect than they deserve, it is in my opinion an unforgiveable sin which you can get away with only once - Levein has now done it twice in 3 games.

Are our players just thick? I heard the experts consistently moaning that when we lumped it up the park there was no forward to hold it up or play it back. They knew there was no one up front so who is to blame for giving away possession by lumping it? Not the manager. Too many moderately skillful players making sure they weren't caught in possession and therefore ruining the plan as set out by their manager. I don't think CL was right tonight, but I was disgusted by the inabillity, arrogance or whatever of highly paid professionals not to do the job outlined by their superior.

Frankenstein Jambo.

That was a shocking performance against a average Czech team.

CL is not rigt for the job.

So who is? What I saw was a pile of thickos on ?20k a week that couldn't follow basic instructions for an hour and a half. Not saying those instructions were correct, but it is not the job of the player to make that call. CL was let down. Possibly deservedly, but not honestly.

Tommy Wiseau

Seriously, Franko, you're fast becoming my new favourite poster with this new leaf you've turned. Some signature. :rofl:

Bet you wish you'd just taken it in this good humour from the start, eh?

On topic, there are deep, deep rooted problems in the Scottish game, and it starts from the top. I think the media and the fans are side issues; the rot is more of a problem in grass roots coaching, the old boys' club running the game and the self-interest of club sides.

I've given up hope of them ever learning and giving the game the shake up it needs. Get used to these results, because they're going to keep on coming.

Levein deserves the sack for that. His line up made rangers in Europe look attacking. Shameful. Czech republic are average now and we just sat back, great tactic.

Levein deserves the sack for that. His line up made rangers in Europe look attacking. Shameful. Czech republic are average now and we just sat back, great tactic.

Canny blame him when 75% of the back 4 were brought up with the international philosophy that worked for Rangers at OT and the Europa League. If Rangers instead of Scotland had lost 1-0, what are the headlines? I think CL got it wrong tonight, but when most of his team are used to playing that defensively in Europe, and are obviously too thick to change tactics, what else is Craigie expected to do. You can only work with the clay you are given.

Carl Weathers

So who is? What I saw was a pile of thickos on ?20k a week that couldn't follow basic instructions for an hour and a half. Not saying those instructions were correct, but it is not the job of the player to make that call. CL was let down. Possibly deservedly, but not honestly.

WTF.

We played for 75mins with no striker.

How did the players let Levein down? They ran their socks off.

The tactics were a disgrace.

Tommy Wiseau

Canny blame him when 75% of the back 4 were brought up with the international philosophy that worked for Rangers at OT and the Europa League. If Rangers instead of Scotland had lost 1-0, what are the headlines? I think CL got it wrong tonight, but when most of his team are used to playing that defensively in Europe, and are obviously too thick to change tactics, what else is Craigie expected to do. You can only work with the clay you are given.

Oh dear God.

You're embarrassing yourself.

CL is a class A plum. A 4/6 formation? After 35mins we could see their back four was suss. Did we press this? I think not. :angry:

those were the most ludicrous, self defeating instructions any bunch of players has ever been faced with, Levein will lose the dressing room within the next couple of games if he keeps this up

Sterling Archer

Seriously, Franko, you're fast becoming my new favourite poster with this new leaf you've turned. Some signature. :rofl:

Bet you wish you'd just taken it in this good humour from the start, eh?

On topic, there are deep, deep rooted problems in the Scottish game, and it starts from the top. I think the media and the fans are side issues; the rot is more of a problem in grass roots coaching, the old boys' club running the game and the self-interest of club sides.

I've given up hope of them ever learning and giving the game the shake up it needs. Get used to these results, because they're going to keep on coming.

Gotta agree with this. Best way to deal with the stick.

those were the most ludicrous, self defeating instructions any bunch of players has ever been faced with, Levein will lose the dressing room within the next couple of games if he keeps this up

And yet many of the same players followed similar instuctions without demur at OT recently. And got the same result CL was aiming for. I assume you think we were just unlucky tonight, therefore not CLs fault.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Gotta agree with this. Best way to deal with the stick.

Yep - I did take the stick rather badly and I shouldn't have TBH. Was some halarious ribbings Its usually me who dishes out the the ribbings in the real world but I guess my internet skills are are not quite up to standard.

Anyways, take it in my stride now. After all, tis only a message board.

Tommy Wiseau

Yep - I did take the stick rather badly and I shouldn't have TBH. Was some halarious ribbings Its usually me who dishes out the the ribbings in the real world but I guess my internet skills are are not quite up to standard.

Anyways, take it in my stride now. After all, tis only a message board.

As ringleader of the tormentors, I'll tell you right now that I'll not be giving you any more pelters - your username/signature combo is funnier than anything I've got left in the locker. :lol:

Tommy Wiseau

And yet many of the same players followed similar instuctions without demur at OT recently. And got the same result CL was aiming for. I assume you think we were just unlucky tonight, therefore not CLs fault.

So Rangers played without a striker or an out ball at Old Trafford, did they?

You need to get the blinkers off.

Frankenstein Jambo.

As ringleader of the tormentors, I'll tell you right now that I'll not be giving you any more pelters - your username/signature combo is funnier than anything I've got left in the locker. :lol:

I can't take the credit for the sig - Mr Picard sent me it and I almost spilled my beer over my laptop due to laughter.

Tommy Wiseau

I can't take the credit for the sig - Mr Picard sent me it and I almost spilled my beer over my laptop due to laughter.

It could only have been better if the boy with the fake chainsaw was hovering behind Frankie. :lol:

Well done Picard and Franko. :thumbsup:

Dagger Is Back

Got to be honest and say that I'm more down about HMFC losing than Scotland. A Scotland defeat doesn't leave me in a bad mood as one for HMFC does.

In saying that, I'd rather my team lost after having put up a fight than gone down like tonight.

That was awful, negative, soul destroying stuff. I feel for the fans who spent a lot of money travelling to watch that. CL should be ashamed of himself.The beautiful game? Not bloody likely.

I think we should forget all this 'let's qualify for x' rubbish. Even if we did qualify we'd get humped sideways so why don't we reassess our targets and settle for building a team for the future.

We should grow a set of balls and go out there and have a go. Against Spain we should just go for it. A 5-0 humping after having given it our best shot is better than playing anti football and leaving with a narrower loss.

Quite frankly embarrassing.

Harry Palmer

The trouble with Scotland, and dare I say it, many Scots is that we can't see further than our own nose especially where football is concerned.

We're stuck in the 'glorious failure' mindset of the past and long nay hope for those days to return without giving any real thought or action to actually achieving another 'glorious failure.' We just hope it'll happen because we had great players in the past.

Time to wake up...

ps. Frankenstein, thanks for changing your sig. :thumbsup:

pps. :lawson: will be along soon....

No I don't think that

Bottom line for me is -

Tonight Levein's tactics were designed to get a draw and those tactics failed, Scotland lost.

Thats fine! Honestly it is fine!

But as far as 'lets play for a draw lads' tactics go that was the most negative I have ever seen in all my 44 years of watching this country play this game.

I felt like, Levein thinks we are Lichtenstein or The Faroes or feckin Pumpherston for gods sake.

Like we can't even begin to compete with these uber football beings.

They simply just were not that good and we made them look that good, that is criminal.

So defend Craig all you want for his nearly draw, if we had achieved it it would have been as hollow as my empty beer Glass.

Suspect Device

No I don't think that

Bottom line for me is -

Tonight Levein's tactics were designed to get a draw and those tactics failed, Scotland lost.

Thats fine! Honestly it is fine!

But as far as 'lets play for a draw lads' tactics go that was the most negative I have ever seen in all my 44 years of watching this country play this game.

I felt like, Levein thinks we are Lichtenstein or The Faroes or feckin Pumpherston for gods sake.

Like we can't even begin to compete with these uber football beings.

They simply just were not that good and we made them look that good, that is criminal.

So defend Craig all you want for his nearly draw, if we had achieved it it would have been as hollow as my empty beer Glass.

this !!!!!

getting beat isn't that bad if you had a go.

IMO kenny miller is a very limited footballer, but tonight was perfect for his 'all action (run about and chase everything) ability'

wtf would anyone play any game, anywhere, against anyone and not try to score, 'cause thatsa exactly what Scotland did tonight people !

Anyone who thinks the manager and tactics is to blame is away with the goalie.

Scotland are a really below average side - thats the reality.

If Scotland played more open a formation tonight, it would have been 3 or 4 nil.

We are where we are, and it sucks cocks.

Harry Palmer

If Scotland played more open a formation tonight, it would have been 3 or 4 nil.

What would Mr Paterson say? :ninja:

I'm disregarding your first sentence btw, it never happened. :)

I haven't watched the last 2 Scotland games as i've seen the line up & thought nah! CL selection is WRONG! his tatics are WRONG! I was listening to the Northern Ireland game instead & sounded brill - Now there is a country we should try copy on the international stage. Get the players in their natural positions. Get them marked up to players & still have enough to get a result even if that result is a draw. Nearly everyone on this board could have picked a better team & set up then CL.

The biggest disappointment for me is i really wanted CL to kick ass in Scotland job, We should be up there challenging for 2nd at the very least. Wonder what other games are on Tuesday

P.S. My old man & most of my family from N.I. so take a keen interest in them anyway - before i get any smart arse remarks there

There is a difference between playing a constricting formation and playing without anyone up front.

Sorry, let me just repeat that. WE PLAYED WITHOUT ANYONE UP FRONT!

How, HOW, can anyone defend that?

Harry Palmer

JP1874..

We're still challenging for 2nd place but it'll be extremely difficult to believe that we are if we continue to play like that...

Was it 'anti-football?' Not playing the 'right way?' There is no 'right way' as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure what it was but it was lacking a De Vries to aim for....analogy with Bordeaux.

Anyway, this is about changing the whole attitude of Scotland when comes to football. I've made my point earlier.

Gordon Smith: Radio pundit to SFA back to Radio pundit.... :blink::facepalm:

I think we need to face the reality that there is only one out of work manager at present who is capable of taking this once proud footballing nation forward.

He has flair, can instill attractive free flowing football - and of course the man for the job is Yogi, would have the Dutch and Brazilians quaking in their boots.

JP1874..

We're still challenging for 2nd place but it'll be extremely difficult to believe that we are if we continue to play like that...

Was it 'anti-football?' Not playing the 'right way?' There is no 'right way' as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure what it was but it was lacking a De Vries to aim for....analogy with Bordeaux.

Anyway, this is about changing the whole attitude of Scotland when comes to football. I've made my point earlier.

Gordon Smith: Radio pundit to SFA back to Radio pundit.... :blink::facepalm:

You are right we are still challenging for 2nd place just. My post wasn't a go at "anti-football" whatever that is! Must have been loads of it when there was only 2 points for a win. Just that selection & tatcics were wrong & everyone knew that from Thursday. I agree this is just Scotland national team being crap it start right at the top! Speaking of which the biggest bottle merchant was on the radio aggain??? Can anyone take this man "seriously" anymore?? He had his chance to try change things. We would have loved to be in that job to make a difference but your icon says it all.

P.S. The thing we were lacking was a system to play & the players selected. This is the managers responsibilty. He you set out a team looking for a 0-0, once they scored. He must have a plan b. CL didn't appear to have 1. The changing iot to a 4-4-2 was panic & not thought threw (from what i've heard/seen after) Watch this we will beat Spain now B)

Harry Palmer

JP.....

I just thought I'd remind you that we're still in for 2nd.

I wouldn't say the selection was wrong as I think Mackie is playing very well atm...That was the major talking point beforehand.

Formation/Tactics WTF?

JP.....

I just thought I'd remind you that we're still in for 2nd.

I wouldn't say the selection was wrong as I think Mackie is playing very well atm...That was the major talking point beforehand.

Formation/Tactics WTF?

your last comment hits the nail on the head. IMHO his selection was wrong. CL played for a 0-0, he said the pressure was on Czechs and they need the result. Well they got it. No idea what team he will play on Tuesday but interesting will be 1 word for it. Mackie is playing well at the start of a championship season not even half way threw yet. I don't wanna go threw another Berti stage of 1 cap players .

P.S. I didn't realise Scotland were still 2nd so will put my hands up to that.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Off topic. Frankenstein = cushing.jpg

Frankenstein's monster = frankenstein.jpg

I didn't like the tactics or formation last night, they were horrendous and I have no idea why he did that as I think a 4-5-1 would have done a similar job (but may equally have resulted in a loss, you can never say if we did x then y will happen). Very disappointed in the play more than the result.

That said I still think Levein is a great manager and one of the best for the job. The bottom line was that he tried something new and it didn't come off this time. We were poor against Lechtinstein and not that great against Lithuania and to keep doing the same thing when it's not working properly is stupid. I'd rather he tried different tactics/players (thought Mackie had a good game tonight and will be good for us) than just sit doing the same things which aren't working.

One of our main problems is that we have a very self-destructing nature as a footballing country, if we don't win everything is branded as rubbish and needs changed - we need to give Levein time as I think we have a good group of decent players and a decent manager who is just trying to settle a new team together.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Every manager we've had since Brown (no fan of his) has been an utter failure. The whole country's to blame - the SFA (who think only abut themselves and waste money on things like the new motto that was unveiled before the Lith game), the managers (tactically inept), the players (no basic skills), the chairmen/owners (who pay players who can't play thousands of ?'s a week) and the fans (who demand players lump the ball into the box week in, week out).

That's my views from games before last night as I only (half) watched the first 20 minutes, before being entertained by Shaun William Ryder & The Charlatans.

Every manager we've had since Brown (no fan of his) has been an utter failure. The whole country's to blame - the SFA (who think only abut themselves and waste money on things like the new motto that was unveiled before the Lith game), the managers (tactically inept), the players (no basic skills), the chairmen/owners (who pay players who can't play thousands of ?'s a week) and the fans (who demand players lump the ball into the box week in, week out).

That's my views from games before last night as I only (half) watched the first 20 minutes, before being entertained by Shaun William Ryder & The Charlatans.

There's been nothing like last night ever before in Scotland's international history. Bad results yes, surprise defeats yes. But never before putting out a side which was designed to have no chance of winning.

The only good thing is that Levein's masterplan of getting a Premiership management job has all but evaporated already.

Jambof3tornado

But we weren't playing a team of anywhere near Man Utd's level. It was a tactical error and only Craig can take the blame. It was a game that could have gotten us 3 pts had we even tried to attack.

CL is way out of his depth and won't last until the end of the qualifiers.

Can't wait to see the set up for the Spain game,they must be shitting bricks!

Anyone who thinks we will get 2nd needs to have a serious word with themselves.

We are awful. Just awful.

GA,

I believe Levein's tactics were 100% wrong, but actually nearly there.

Bar a horrendous lack of concentration at a set piece we would have gotten a draw, but having no out ball was unfathonable. (Although did anyone else find Sqaureheid's analysis of no long ball option rather ironic)

However, as average as the Czechs were (compared to previous great sides) anyone who thinks with a more attacking option we would have given them a game away from home is clearly nuts and has no concept of the deep rooted problems in our game - Remember the Swedes were an average team too.

Last night our first touch, ability to hold the ball with an opposition player in close attendance and general off the ball movement was criminal. I can't remember the number of times I screamed at TV for someone to take a touch or even two , lay it off and move so that we could get sometime for the more 'attacking players' too push up the park. One incident in the second half the ball broke to Morrison at the corner of the edge of the box in loads of space with a simple lay off to Whittaker but just booted it out the park saws the pets scarpper out the house with the abuse the TV got.

Take Alan Hutton as a prime example and what wrong with our game. Tall, athletic, looks like a fekn player and one of our best players but

- Can't tackle

- Can't defend

- Can't cross the ball for an overlapping full back

- AND ZERO FIRST TOUCH UNLESS HE IS IN ACRES OF SPACE WITH NO-ONE NEAR HIM

So instead of making Levein a scapegoat someone needs the hee-haws to come out and state categorically what is wrong with the game in this country.

The person I'd like to come out and tell us to be Walter Smith, but the current badly fkawed system fits right up his self interest.

john brownlee

we as Hearts supporters, are we surprised. Leavin was awful (Every post match interview) players were awful, tactic were awful, pundits were awful bbc awful this mornings papers predictable. Just like the beasts collision with Bednar....not a pretty sight. Not in the least surprised by the events and it will be more of the same until leavin finds another club or excuse to depart from his post.

there was nothing there last night bit like an ex burd.

from the beast through cauldwell to the obnoxious albino no love but only pity

GA,

I believe Levein's tactics were 100% wrong, but actually nearly there.

Bar a horrendous lack of concentration at a set piece we would have gotten a draw, but having no out ball was unfathonable. (Although did anyone else find Sqaureheid's analysis of no long ball option rather ironic)

However, as average as the Czechs were (compared to previous great sides) anyone who thinks with a more attacking option we would have given them a game away from home is clearly nuts and has no concept of the deep rooted problems in our game - Remember the Swedes were an average team too.

Last night our first touch, ability to hold the ball with an opposition player in close attendance and general off the ball movement was criminal. I can't remember the number of times I screamed at TV for someone to take a touch or even two , lay it off and move so that we could get sometime for the more 'attacking players' too push up the park. One incident in the second half the ball broke to Morrison at the corner of the edge of the box in loads of space with a simple lay off to Whittaker but just booted it out the park saws the pets scarpper out the house with the abuse the TV got.

Take Alan Hutton as a prime example and what wrong with our game. Tall, athletic, looks like a fekn player and one of our best players but

- Can't tackle

- Can't defend

- Can't cross the ball for an overlapping full back

- AND ZERO FIRST TOUCH UNLESS HE IS IN ACRES OF SPACE WITH NO-ONE NEAR HIM

So instead of making Levein a scapegoat someone needs the hee-haws to come out and state categorically what is wrong with the game in this country.

The person I'd like to come out and tell us to be Walter Smith, but the current badly fkawed system fits right up his self interest.

He should be charged under the Trades Description Act!!!

?( million for that is the biggest joke the Botox Blues have ever played on the football world - and that's saying something!!!

Tommy Wiseau

Have to disagree with you for once GA.

When you play with no out ball, and no one to hold the ball up and take some pressure off the defence once in a while, you are always going to lose. We're a garbage side, granted, but we can and should be doing a lot better than going to the Czech Republic in front of 20,000 folk and playing no-one up front. Northern Ireland played a more open system against Italy last night and got a much better result. Estonia played a much more open system and beat Serbia away from home.

There are no excuses, I'm afraid.

Chad Sexington

Sorry mate but you're way off with this one.

Levein's tactics were appalling.

BobbyJenkins

I think he'll have lost it now.

Alba gu Brath

Agree. If CL couldn't see that the Czechs were there to be beaten then he should go now. I know we've got dud players whoever is in charge, but CL's tactics were the worst I've ever seen from a Scotland manager. It's minnow stuff - San Marino or Andorra type tactics.

Harry Palmer

ARF

Can't even remember making last night post - I stand by it though.

laugh.gifthumbsup.gif

And there I was disregarding your first sentence/comment as I didn't think you were being serious.... :(

:down:

Have to disagree with you for once GA.

When you play with no out ball, and no one to hold the ball up and take some pressure off the defence once in a while, you are always going to lose. We're a garbage side, granted, but we can and should be doing a lot better than going to the Czech Republic in front of 20,000 folk and playing no-one up front. Northern Ireland played a more open system against Italy last night and got a much better result. Estonia played a much more open system and beat Serbia away from home.

There are no excuses, I'm afraid.

Thommo,

I wouldn't put NI up there as a shining example of modern day football. What have they qualified for in recent times? Close once but ultimately 2 games short. Also it was against the Italians who are notorious for just doing enough over the course of a campaign.

I reckon Scotland irrespective of how hopeless we are, could give anyone a decent game at Tynecastle for example.

I completely agree about the nature of no strker but I still stand by my ascertion that the problems are more deep rooted than a simple no outball.

This is also no excuse for Levein, but at least we could see his system. Over the course of the next few days Smith and McLeish will be lauded for their failures as Scotland manager and Belarus at home and Georgia away won't be mentioned where christ knows what they were trying to do.

Carl Weathers

ARF

Can't even remember making last night post - I stand by it though.

laugh.gifthumbsup.gif

It was an appalling system used by the manager. Absolutely no thought of making counter-attacks.

Imo, there is only so long a team can defend in their own half before conceding a goal.

Liechtenstein's set up at Hampden(albeit thy lost in the 97th min)was far better than ours last night. And they really are pish.

Archived