Lack of fitness/ Injury

Jambomuzz

Hearts never seem to be without Injuries, and from what ive noticed when watching them warm up before matches, it seems to be all about getting thier muscles working and hardly any streching seems to be focused on. I was watching rangers warm up routine and I noticed that the dedicate a good 15 minuites to do almost every different streach imaginable, its no coincidence that rangers dont have many players out through "thigh strains" as an example. Hearts only seem to dedicate a very very short time to stretches.

What are your thoughts?

agree. Not that im often in early enough to see the full warm up but i don`t think many sides(in scotalnd) seem to have dedicated time to a good stretch.(maybe they do it inside but Tynecastle isn`t big enough inside for that really)

Foreign sides often stretch together in a routine for 10,15 mins instead of players doing their own stuff.

Nelly Terraces

Stretching the muscles before exercise isn?t always a good thing, it?s proven to do more damage than good. It?s post exercise that has the most benefits. If you look at tennis players for instance, the top guys don?t stretch at all before a match.

Lack of fitness has been a major concern at Hearts over the last few years, i've posted about this many times. A couple of recent examples were that we've played two teams(Utd & Rangers) at home this season that played in Europe only days before, the Dundee Utd one in particular, they were knocked out 3 days before in their away leg then they played us on the Saturday. Which team was it that were blowing out their backside in the last 10 minutes? It certainly wasn't Utd. The whole fitness/excersise/training regime at Hearts needs a complete overhall. What's the point of Riccarton? Ever since we've had it we've had nothing but problems. Either that or footballers are just a bunch of whinging wimps these days. Get it sorted Hearts!

polwarthjambo

Stretching the muscles before exercise isn?t always a good thing, it?s proven to do more damage than good. It?s post exercise that has the most benefits. If you look at tennis players for instance, the top guys don?t stretch at all before a match.

not so much that it does more damage but static stretching before activity hasn't been shown to reduce injury risk and has been shown to reduce muscle power/performance. static stretching after activity has been shown to reduce injury risk.

perhaps its a hangover from the last few years when the coaches showed no interest in fitness training the players.

JJ seemed to change things with heavy fitness training pre-season but it might take longer to kick-in. One thing is for sure we are not a fit side.

Any weaknesses in fitness are more likely to be due to a lack of strength and conditioning and poor diet in individual players.

These weaknesses in turn are down to poor discipline, which I hope is improving under JJ and his team.

I would prefer that JJ pushed our teams fitness levels to the limits this season, even if it costs us a good place finish in the leauge becuase it will pay dividends next season. You can never be too fit, you can have the best ball skills in the world, but if you can only last 30 minuites of the game your useless.

I'd prefer they spent more time with sports scientists and physios working out personalised programmes with conditioning and flexibility training that reduces the risk of injury. I'd prefer that they were given supplements with collagen and glucosamine to strengthen their ligaments and I'd prefer that they were fed the right foods at Riccarton and made to fill out food diary's to give to dieticians so that they can be prodded gently towards better foods in the first instance and monitored more closely if they are constantly eating the wrong foods and drinking too much alcohol.

I don't know how much is happening at the moment and how much isn't......

Cut The Crap

I'd prefer they spent more time with sports scientists and physios working out personalised programmes with conditioning and flexibility training that reduces the risk of injury. I'd prefer that they were given supplements with collagen and glucosamine to strengthen their ligaments and I'd prefer that they were fed the right foods at Riccarton and made to fill out food diary's to give to dieticians so that they can be prodded gently towards better foods in the first instance and monitored more closely if they are constantly eating the wrong foods and drinking too much alcohol.

I don't know how much is happening at the moment and how much isn't......

The number of times Calum "Dinny Tell The Gaffer" Elliot is clocked out of his skull in clubs suggests there's not too much monitoring going on.

Mind you, our first-team coach could hardly be said to have fully appreciated the importance of an athlete's diet when JJ first tried to improve things during his first spell in charge... :rolleyes:

Archived