water of leith

3fingersreid

3fingersreid

having recently had the pleasure of bring a puppy into the family home I`ve been walking thru many areas of my neighbourhood in recent weeks and one stretch of the water of leith in particular has left me wondering how it actually got its nick-name .

at the back of the cemetry at chesser next to the allotments and behind the asda the area of that stretch of water is known as the MAGWAH -(sp)

does anyone know how the fek it got that name :ermm: I`ve known it as that since I was a wee boy -40 bloody years ago :( - I appreciate it might well be some-one from this area of edinburgh that has an idea but if anyone can help

Toxteth O'Grady

having recently had the pleasure of bring a puppy into the family home I`ve been walking thru many areas of my neighbourhood in recent weeks and one stretch of the water of leith in particular has left me wondering how it actually got its nick-name .

at the back of the cemetry at chesser next to the allotments and behind the asda the area of that stretch of water is known as the MAGWAH -(sp)

does anyone know how the fek it got that name :ermm: I`ve known it as that since I was a wee boy -40 bloody years ago :( - I appreciate it might well be some-one from this area of edinburgh that has an idea but if anyone can help

I used to play there when I was a kid (bows and arrows shooting and stuff). The Last of the Mohicans was all the rage at the time and I think it was named after the character Magua.

I think I remember there was a bit of the old railway embankment there at the end of Newmarket Road that was permenantly smouldering?

Konrad von Carstein

I remember muckin about at the magwa when I was a boy (30 odd years ago now :( ) no idea why it was called that though, the big laddies called it that :D

I now live in the flats right next to it :mellow:

3fingersreid

I remember muckin about at the magwa when I was a boy (30 odd years ago now :( ) no idea why it was called that though, the big laddies called it that :D

I now live in the flats right next to it :mellow:

if it was 30 odd years ago I was probably there at the same time :woot:

any how I take it its not the flats with the big wall with barbed wire and security cameras :whistling:

Buffalo Bill

The 'Magwa' had a big tarzan swing as I recall.

Was more of a 'Lollies' boy, myself.

Fords Road also had a good tarzan.

I think it's named after the first cute wee gremlin out of the film Gremlins and, to a lesser extent the book, which was also called Gremlins :rolleyes: .

Mucked about wi guys from Hutchison ,probs about the same time (40 odd years ago)and thats the first time I,ve heard that name since , as we knew the area well also but I remember the same question being asked back then , never did find out. Another area of the Water Leith opposite the Murrayfield Bar and up that wee lane (Roseburn Cliff I think) was called The Tips, dunno where that came from either.

Never heard that term for I don't know how many years, brought up in Chesser Avenue, knew and know the area very well. Hadn't ever given it a thought about the name either, I'll be interested to hear from some octogenarians, if they know the origins of it. Just being a youngster in my fifties :whistling:

jt

the windae cleaner

dont know why its called the magwai but it had the best tarzan over the water and that was over 30 years ago ...spent many a summer there but only managed a tarzan jump over the water once :thumbsup:

I love walking along the water of Leith in the summer. Never knew that bit had a name... :unsure:

Toxteth O'Grady

Further down stream at the back of the prison was known to me as The Piggery Burn.

Thinking about that area I remember there was a stables and trotting track near where Saughton Mills carpets is now.

Further down stream at the back of the prison was known to me as The Piggery Burn.

Thinking about that area I remember there was a stables and trotting track near where Saughton Mills carpets is now.

That would be Stenhouse Greyhound Racing Stadium, thinkit closed in the 1950,s, maybe even earlier, there was a brickbuilt placings/scoreboard tower there up until a few years back still visible.

Archived