My Mcafee Virus Scan has ran out, what to replace it with?

Chrambo

I keep getting this pop up saying my McAfee Virus Scan has run out.

I have had my computer for about a year and a few months. I have only ever used the software (McAfee) that i got with my computer, and I am not a computer genius of any sort.

I have all the McAfee Security Centre stuff etc. but what can I download that will replace the Virus Scan?

Windows Defender for spyware

AVG for anti-virus

Zone Alarm for firewall

I'd recommend running SmitFraudFix from time to time too, just to clean up anything dodgy missed by these three and depending on where you surf...

AVG for anti-virus

Zone Alarm for firewall

I'd recommend running SmitFraudFix from time to time too, just to clean up anything dodgy missed by these three and depending on where you surf...

You missed the best bit..... They are FREE and good!

AVG for anti-virus

Zone Alarm for firewall

I've downloaded all of these, do I uninstall McAfee?

Will i have to let them all scan everyday?

I've downloaded all of these, do I uninstall McAfee?

Will i have to let them all scan everyday?

Uninstall McAfee, yes, it will interfere with the new stuff so remove it completely.

You don't have to manually scan (unless you want to) you set it to scan automatically at whatever time you want (AVG and defender). ZA learns what programmes you're happy to let access the trusted zone (whatever that is) but it has a good tutorial that's worth watching. AVG will update fairly regularly (every two or three days) and scan every day at whatever time you set it to.

They're are all pretty good, together I think they're as good, if not better then McAfee, Norton or any other that you pay ???'s for, but no doubt somebody else will come on and tell me that I'm an idiot and they're all crap compared to...

(I've been running these, well AVG and ZA, for about four years and I've never had a serious viral problem, at home or at work)

http://www.webuser.co.uk/

Try the above link : which recommends AVG for anti virus now. They used to push Zone Alarm for free firewall but are now recommending Commodo (sp?).

Look on the left side for free software : lots of freebies.

Archived