Squaddies @ HT

Perth to Paisley

So how many Hearts fans were there amongst them yesterday - one?

So you reckon a fan has to wear a scarf?!?!

I didn't yeterday... am I less of a fan?!?!

What crap.

You must be a real gem at your dinner parties also.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I see its now a case of dropping to personal abuse when your arguments are shot to flames.

Its easy to identify poor posters when they can't sustain a debate.

Please justify why it is our duty to show respect to people who clearly aren't interested in reciprocating it?

What the feck are you slavering about?

1. Please point me in the direction of any personal abuse I have gave out on this, or any other thread.

2. Please point me in the direction where I said it was ''our duty to show respect to people who clearly aren't interested in reciprocating it?''

You're starting to bug me.

So you reckon a fan has to wear a scarf?!?!

I didn't yeterday... am I less of a fan?!?!

What crap.

I already said that none of them should have worn scarves - they are supposed to be representing the army, not Rangers FC. The majority wore Rangers scarves and they all headed straight for their end.

Please read the posts to get the context next time.

If I represent my employer at events, there is a strict dress code to adhere to, and I am expected to behave and show respect to the hosts.

Thunderstruck

From my perspective, the whole "walkabout" thing is a bit clich?d. HMFC, like most SPL clubs, is signed up to scheme that allows serving personnel the chance to attend games - that's ALL serving personnel*, not just the Army. I would happy to leave it at that and have a couple come out at half-time on days when we collect for Erskine to thank the fans and perhaps outline/demonstrate what was donated, as has been done in the past.

I am a liitle uneasy that the walkabout at matches has the potential to be hijacked by those with agendas a million miles away from support for the Services. A read through this and associated threads gives a flavour of what is out there.

* A large proportion of the personnel on the ground in Afghanistan comes from the other two services, most notably the Marines but also including sailors and airmen.

What the feck are you slavering about?

1. Please point me in the direction of any personal abuse I have gave out on this, or any other thread.

2. Please point me in the direction where I said it was ''our duty to show respect to people who clearly aren't interested in reciprocating it?''

You're starting to bug me.

1. ... Er in the post you just replied to I quoted you agreeing with "Arnold" that anyone who didn't agree with your point of view are "raspers".

2. I was trying to restart constructive debate rather than personal abuse by asking you to explain why we should show respect to members of the armed services who aren't interested in reciprocating it. Your point on this thread is that they should be treated like gods. My argument is that those people yesterday didn't earn it.

I already said that none of them should have worn scarves - they are supposed to be representing the army, not Rangers FC. The majority wore Rangers scarves and they all headed straight for their end.

Please read the posts to get the context next time.

If I represent my employer at events, there is a strict dress code to adhere to, and I am expected to behave and show respect to the hosts.

Bet your employer rarely asks you to represent the company.

I and the majority at Tynecastle yesterday didn't seem in one way arsed about which squaddie was wearing what scarf... Hearts are proud about supporting Erskine and the armed forces and I don't for one moment think that they would risk a PR nightmare by insisting that nobody wore any scarfs on their lap of honour round the pitch.

Seriously, how small minded can someone be?!

Bet your employer rarely asks you to represent the company.

I and the majority at Tynecastle yesterday didn't seem in one way arsed about which squaddie was wearing what scarf... Hearts are proud about supporting Erskine and the armed forces and I don't for one moment think that they would risk a PR nightmare by insisting that nobody wore any scarfs on their lap of honour round the pitch.

Seriously, how small minded can someone be?!

How can a walk straight across the pitch to the Rangers end be considered a lap of honour?

Harry Palmer

Frank, please read the whole thread and I gave a fair and balanced opinion which was pretty much the same one I gave on the thread that was on here a few days before the match.

I fail to see any problem/issue to get worked up about.

Clearly some folk enjoy bashing the Armed Forces. :down:

I don't for one moment think that they would risk a PR nightmare by insisting that nobody wore any scarfs on their lap of honour round the pitch.

In what sense? :mellow:

1. ... Er in the post you just replied to I quoted you agreeing with "Arnold" that anyone who didn't agree with your point of view are "raspers".

2. I was trying to restart constructive debate rather than personal abuse by asking you to explain why we should show respect to members of the armed services who aren't interested in reciprocating it. Your point on this thread is that they should be treated like gods. My argument is that those people yesterday didn't earn it.

1. If I have gave out personal abuse, I trust the mods will deal with it accordingly. (IE, they will do feck all because there isn't any.)

2. I'm covering old ground here, but since you're persisting I'll explain again. I feel that people that are out protecting our country should be treated with respect, regardless of which football team they support (I'll say it again, there's more to life than a game of football). If you disagree with that then it's up to you. I have never once told anybody what they should be doing or thinking. (Go and read my posts back if you don't believe me).

How can a walk straight across the pitch to the Rangers end be considered a lap of honour?

Hearts refer to it as such when they invite the troops onto the pitch... they don't say 'Please welcome the troops onto the pitch as they walk to their respective supporter ends!'... it may seem a tad more descriptive to you but it's not what they say.

You have to be at the wind up... I can't imagine anyone who would seriuosly get his knickers in a twist over this.

Yes. :thumbsup:

So what's the problem?

huh.gif

No matter who they support, these guys are out there doing something that is heavy biscuits. Yesterday they got something back.

Frank, please read the whole thread and I gave a fair and balanced opinion which was pretty much the same one I gave on the thread that was on here a few days before the match.

I fail to see any problem/issue to get worked up about.

Clearly some folk enjoy bashing the Armed Forces. :down:

Nope - I made it clear that I stood at the bottom of the Wheatfield and applauded them onto the pitch, but their antics left a sour taste in my mouth, and I walked back into the Wheatfield tunnel in disgust.

A lap of honour should have started from the corner of school end (where they entered the pitch) - School End - Wheatfield - Roseburn - old stand - end. My point throughout this thread is that they showed a lack of respect to us as hosts.

Nope - I made it clear that I stood at the bottom of the Wheatfield and applauded them onto the pitch, but their antics left a sour taste in my mouth, and I walked back into the Wheatfield tunnel in disgust.

A lap of honour should have started from the corner of school end (where they entered the pitch) - School End - Wheatfield - Roseburn - old stand - end. My point throughout this thread is that they showed a lack of respect to us as hosts.

Frank, switch to de caf.

thumbsup.gif

In what sense? :mellow:

I can see the headlines in the weegie media... 'Brave soldiers refused onto Tynecastle pitch wearing their team's scarves!' Not very catchy, ok and it might be a tad over the top... but it's the sort of thing I wouldn't put past them.

At the end of the day... our lads are out there fighting for what we hold dear... the right to free speech... and we expect them not to wear their teams colours on what is essentially a great day out for them before they go to war?!?!

Way over the top reaction from certain jkb members.

Harry Palmer

Clearly, you don't know your School End from your Roseburn.... :teehee:

Well, I see your point but it's hardly worth getting worked up about. I don't care what team a squaddie supports, are they not allowed to support a team?

My brother supports Hibs and I'm sure he supported them whilst he was on tour as well, regardless of where he was sent.

Just seems a poor excuse.

As someone who has drank with guys from Erskine I applaud the club for their support of it.

Yesterday I applauded when the guys came out as I have respect for our servicemen and women.

However I thought the scarves were unnecessary. I do not care who these guys support as such but they should not have had been waving them around and then going to what looked like "their own fans!" They were supposed to be there representing the army not their football clubs.

As for the lowlife at the other end it was the ARMY on the pitch, NOT the navy. So you can cut out "Rule, Brittannia!" you rather clueless numpties.

Can I ask those who are critical of those who felt it was in bad taste to allow the scarves would you have felt the same if it was a Celtic supporter waving a scarf and going to the Celtic fans when they come to Tynie?

I ask as one of the ex soldiers I drink with that has stayed at Erskine is a Celtic fanatic!

Not that I think the Celtic fans would applaud him if he did, but would you?

broxburnjambo1874

I think it is to do with the fact Rangers done it against Celtic and there was a huge row over it (don't ask me why), but if we had done that against Celtic, Hibs etc we might get abuse for it and after the game, there could be more trouble than there usually is. I don't mind if soldiers from my country do a lap of honour at half time. Don't see how that can offend anyone. Yes there was a few Rangers scarfs but that is their team, what can you do?

As someone who has drank with guys from Erskine I applaud the club for their support of it.

Yesterday I applauded when the guys came out as I have respect for our servicemen and women.

However I thought the scarves were unnecessary. I do not care who these guys support as such but they should not have had been waving them around and then going to what looked like "their own fans!" They were supposed to be there representing the army not their football clubs.

As for the lowlife at the other end it was the ARMY on the pitch, NOT the navy. So you can cut out "Rule, Brittannia!" you rather clueless numpties.

Can I ask those who are critical of those who felt it was in bad taste to allow the scarves would you have felt the same if it was a Celtic supporter waving a scarf and going to the Celtic fans when they come to Tynie?

I ask as one of the ex soldiers I drink with that has stayed at Erskine is a Celtic fanatic!

Of course I would. Like I said, each and everyone of them deserves respect IMO, doesn't matter which football team they support.

Harry Palmer

Yes I would still applaud. It's not going to happen though as the polis wouldn't allow it which in itself is a sad indictment of Scotland as a society.

Hopefully, some of the troops get together and we can see them again for the Remembrance match. If not then, New Year would be good.

There's some crackers on here.

You know when I buy my poppy each year and stand in silence at Tynie or indeed Haymarket or when I recall the lads of Macraes Battalion who us Hearts fans are righfully very proud of I can't say I ever consider what team colours they may have favoured as individuals. I've never stood there and thought to myself "well done lads and thank you except of course for those of you who were Huns, Tic fans or verminous Hibees...you lot can beat it".

I'm willing to bet a few of the complainers on here would scream blue murder at Celtic fans ruining a Remembrance silence or Hibs fans ruining a commemoration of Macraes. They'd squeal about disrespect and be ever so offended but such actions.

Rightly or wrongly depending on your individual opinions Heart Of Midlothian football club have chosen to back Erskine and as fans we should applaud our club's involvement in any charity support. The club give tickets to the barracks regularly, not just on occasions like yesterday, but without ceremony and publicity and have done for a good while.

To those wittering on about it always being Rangers...you're wrong and if your gonna come on and throw your tuppenceworth in at least have your facts correct. To those offended that some of the soldiers wore Rangers colours...dearie me but we complain how small minded Rangers and Celtic fans are. Let's try rise above the level where we can't see past a piece of knitwear to the real reasons behind the visit. I can't recall such outrage at Ibrox when the Hearts scarf wearing soldier was running about the place.

There are arguments on both sides as to whether you agree with it or not but the fact is it does happen, we do parade soldiers and yes there may be better ways of showing our support to Erskine but no-one is forcing any of you to join in. If you disagree then don't applaud and don't react. Better still write to the club and tell them how it offends you.

As someone who has family in the armed forces who has done 2 tours in Afghan and readied a battalion for deployment for this current tour and been to more funerals than a man his age should I think a few small minded folk on here need to think before they type. You may not agree with the war, you may not support our troops but try and at least put yourself in the position these men and their families are in for one minute and then seriously question if you begrudge any of them 10 minutes of lapping up a bit of appreciation and attention while watching their team play football or if your dislike of certain football teams and they way their fans conduct themsleves is more important.

Rant over.

I do respect the guys in our armed forces and appreciate the dangers they face but they are all paid employees doing a job much the same as policemen and firemen etc and what about lifeboatmen I dont think they even get a salary just expenses for lost wages(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ).

Its wrong the way some people cant tell the difference between the sacrifices made by the modern day paid soldier and the previous generations of conscript soldiers in the 2nd WW.That generation saved us from oblivion.

Anyway Hearts could easily aviod this situation of good causes being hijacked by political and religious extremists in the visiting support.

My suggestion is to pick a single charity to support for each game and invite representitives of said charity on to the pitch at H/T to promote their cause. No colours allowed perhaps a banner with their telephone and website details and perhaps a short interview explaining their work.

The club are always preaching about how they are non political its about time they proved it and stopped looking evermore like a satelite of Glasgow Rangers FC.

MacDonald Jardine

The club are always preaching about how they are non political its about time they proved it and stopped looking evermore like a satelite of Glasgow Rangers FC.

Get a badword grip.

This is possibly the stupidest statement ever on this forum,

I can see the headlines in the weegie media... 'Brave soldiers refused onto Tynecastle pitch wearing their team's scarves!' Not very catchy, ok and it might be a tad over the top... but it's the sort of thing I wouldn't put past them.

PR nightmare, right enough. :rolleyes:

At the end of the day... our lads are out there fighting for what we hold dear... the right to free speech...

Are they?

Get a badword grip.

This is possibly the stupidest statement ever on this forum,

Its only an opinion mate.

Dont get your Union Jack knickers in a twist over it. :rolleyes:

I saw 4 soldiers in uniform before the game walking down Dalry Road towards the stadium. Two of them had Hearts scarfs on and one of them a Rangers scarf and 4th one didn't have a scarf on so it basically blows the theory they were all Huns out of the water.

Anyway what ridiculous thread considering Hearts long association with the armed forces and particularly the association with Erskine.

MacDonald Jardine

Its only an opinion mate.

Dont get your Union Jack knickers in a twist over it. :rolleyes:

Where is their the slightest indication that the club are operating as a satellite of Rangers?

Anyway would you not expect the union jack brigade to welcome that given they're "really Huns"?

You know when I buy my poppy each year and stand in silence at Tynie or indeed Haymarket or when I recall the lads of Macraes Battalion who us Hearts fans are righfully very proud of I can't say I ever consider what team colours they may have favoured as individuals. I've never stood there and thought to myself "well done lads and thank you except of course for those of you who were Huns, Tic fans or verminous Hibees...you lot can beat it".

I'm willing to bet a few of the complainers on here would scream blue murder at Celtic fans ruining a Remembrance silence or Hibs fans ruining a commemoration of Macraes. They'd squeal about disrespect and be ever so offended but such actions.

Rightly or wrongly depending on your individual opinions Heart Of Midlothian football club have chosen to back Erskine and as fans we should applaud our club's involvement in any charity support. The club give tickets to the barracks regularly, not just on occasions like yesterday, but without ceremony and publicity and have done for a good while.

To those wittering on about it always being Rangers...you're wrong and if your gonna come on and throw your tuppenceworth in at least have your facts correct. To those offended that some of the soldiers wore Rangers colours...dearie me but we complain how small minded Rangers and Celtic fans are. Let's try rise above the level where we can't see past a piece of knitwear to the real reasons behind the visit. I can't recall such outrage at Ibrox when the Hearts scarf wearing soldier was running about the place.

There are arguments on both sides as to whether you agree with it or not but the fact is it does happen, we do parade soldiers and yes there may be better ways of showing our support to Erskine but no-one is forcing any of you to join in. If you disagree then don't applaud and don't react. Better still write to the club and tell them how it offends you.

As someone who has family in the armed forces who has done 2 tours in Afghan and readied a battalion for deployment for this current tour and been to more funerals than a man his age should I think a few small minded folk on here need to think before they type. You may not agree with the war, you may not support our troops but try and at least put yourself in the position these men and their families are in for one minute and then seriously question if you begrudge any of them 10 minutes of lapping up a bit of appreciation and attention while watching their team play football or if your dislike of certain football teams and they way their fans conduct themsleves is more important.

Rant over.

Good post but you are wasting your time talking about facts as apart form a few posters this a board that ignores facts on a regular basis to suit particular agendas.

Governor Tarkin

Can't work out how to quote on this iPhone but JennyJambo that is a cracking post.

Some good, well thought out debate on this thread too, from all viewpoints. Makes for interesting reading.

Personally it wasn't the soldiers wearing scarves that I was uncomfortable with, but the reaction of the Rangers support. I farking hate the old firm. It's not too difficult to put these feelings aside though for the reasons stated by JennyJambo above.

Not sure its been covered but was there not a few of our fans in with the Rangers supporting squaddies who were on the pitch at Ibrox? Pretty sure it was last season?

They broke from the pack and made their way to the corner?

Harry Palmer

Rant over.

Fantastic post.

Rep. :thumbsup:

Harry Palmer

BOOOOO! Someone said feck you ya wee barsteward!

He's a Jambo, he's a Jambo.

I'm sure folk were seething about that......

Not sure its been covered but was there not a few of our fans in with the Rangers supporting squaddies who were on the pitch at Ibrox? Pretty sure it was last season?

They broke from the pack and made their way to the corner?

Yes indeed (thought it was only one tho' ?). Unfortunately as soon as the jambo(s) made their alliegance known the reception accorded to them "changed slightly" (this was viewed from the main stand where I was a guest). Without wanting to raise further issues my interpretation of this is that whenever the glasgow uglies are involved in anything they somehow manage to taint it basically because of their moronic hordes (appreciate there is decent supporters on all sides but somehow we dont seem to have them visiting Tynecastle !!!)

a satelite of Glasgow Rangers FC.

I hate to be picky, but there is no club called Glasgow Rangers FC. Fact.

I hate to be picky, but there is no club called Glasgow Rangers FC. Fact.

I think we have to trust this man on this one. :thumbsup:

Perth to Paisley

Posted Today, 11:12

View PostPerth to Paisley, on 02 October 2010 - 08:02 PM, said:

I am sure they are brave and perform an admirable function in the Gulf and that Erskine [home] is a fine cause but I would prefer that my club didn't invite them to games versus Rangers.

What we witnesseed today was quite disgusting that their presence was hijacked by our visitors for their vile agenda.

Never again .... please.

That is utter bollocks... if you can't stand those brave lads and lasses enjoying a day out at Tynecastle just because of the scarf they have around their necks then you have serious issues... you should stay at home in future.

... what a ******* stupid thing to post.

Hold on here - I think you are confusing Guests [squaddies] with Visitors [roseburn] - i personally couldn't care if our guests dressed up as the Pope; i detest any form of bigotry.

Read the bit "their presence was hijacked by our visitors for their vile agenda." again before you reply in apology......

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

It was a fantastic reception and brought a tear to my eye. Our brethren, Rangers FC gave our boys a fantastic backing as well. 10/10.

Some interesting comments in this debate, to an outsider looking in it really exposes the polarisation of views. Some feel it was an action to boost Rangers, some feel it was a public relations act by Hearts on behalf of Hearts, and I even get the sense that it in some way could be an act against Celtic. Al or any or none may be true, but it is certainly interesting reading.

The term used regularly in these threads is hero. Then the comparison of police, firefighters, and military is often raised for debate. Having personal experience of two of these fields and I will beg the patience of any firefighters to allow me to talk for them,I personally and no one I have known in any of these fields considered himself a hero, all these fields were subjected to rigorous training. What was included was the expectations, but the training provided the confidence to do the job, always realising the element of danger but especially when young knowing that the big one was something that happened to the other guy. What is often missed in the discussions is that there are many trades and professions where people are exposed to as much if not more than the three mentioned, but without uniform are less easily recognised or acknowledged.

With reference to the situation being discussed the reason for the presence of troops at football games and other venues. The answer is very simple, and has nothing to do with Rangers, Hearts, or anyone other than the military. Football is recognised as a sport frequented in the main by the working man. Where do the military get the main part of their personnel, hands up, that correct the working class. Now if you want to fill the vacancies in departments caused by the transfer of injured to places such as Erskine where would it seem the logical place to go. Hands up if you know, thats correct a venue where there are thousand of people particularly those of the working class, and where would that be, that is again correct somewhere like Tynecastle for a Hearts v Rangers game where you know there will be a large crowd of that same target group. And if I read JKB correctly a large group of that demographic are in the ranks of the unemployed. So what I am trying to say in a roundabout way is that the whole purpose of functions like yesterday are from the military point of view, recruiting. What an opportunity to an impressionable young unemployed man, fancy uniform, regular pay, and you even get to come out on the field at half time and be treated as a hero. What an offer, just like the famous an offer you can't refuse.

r

It was a fantastic reception and brought a tear to my eye. Our brethren, Rangers FC gave our boys a fantastic backing as well. 10/10.

Sorry to hear you are monocular, Alan.

Harry Palmer

Bob, I'm unemployed because NHS says so....Gone through my 3yrs training..and quite frankly can't be arsed with it.

A colleague who joined the Navy but left to do this course....married to a squaddie and is probably going to join up as a squaddie, and I said she would probably be right to do so.

always a jambo

I see no problem with what happened at half time yesterday. Both our clubs are big supporters of Erskine and I think we should all get behind our boys for the bravery they show in fighting for our country.

I see no problem with what happened at half time yesterday. Both our clubs are big supporters of Erskine and I think we should all get behind our boys for the bravery they show in fighting for our country.

I agree...but I re-iterate the relatively petty point I made 15 hours ago ( :ninja: ) that the club should have given scarves to the soldiers who were the Hearts supporters. If that had happened then the occasion might not have seen so 'one sided' to some.

Not gonna trawl through the pages of this thread 'cause CBA.

However, I see nothing wrong with celebrating the excellent work of the Armed Forces. Someone mentioned apparent sectarian singing when they were on; absolute nonsense! Rule Britannia was the main song that was sung.

Being proud to be British isn't a crime, folks. If you felt that passionate then drown the Huns out by singing Flower of Scotland!?

Harry Palmer

I agree...but I re-iterate the relatively petty point I made 15 hours ago ( :ninja: ) that the club should have given scarves to the soldiers who were the Hearts supporters. If that had happened then the occasion might not have seen so 'one sided' to some.

You were awake at 3am? :lol:

The fact folk are greeting about squaddies wearing scarves is something I can't mention as my warn status might go up further...thanks to this thread.

I still fail to see any issue/problem.

Perhaps I'll be enlightened soon.

Perhaps in future the club might give some thought to linking up with Linburn (Wilkieston on the A71) which is currently undergoing a refurbishment to accommodate the wounded coming back from current conflicts. An east of scotland equivalent to Erskine. Nothing against Erskine, or indeed any of the armed forces, but given its location and the fact that rangers apparently support it maybe we should look at somewhere closer to home.

Guest jambomickey

BOOOOO! Someone said feck you ya wee barsteward!

He's a Jambo, he's a Jambo.

I'm sure folk were seething about that......

that guy was brilliant last season.

Archived