Squaddies @ HT

Perth to Paisley

As I posted on the thread that was here many days ago....

Perhaps, the squaddies were asked which match they would like to attend. Perhaps many got together, saw they were on leave this weekend and said 'We'll go to Tynie and have a few beers at the same time.'

Perhaps, they won't have many other opportunities to see a football match before they're sent to some foreign clime.

I didn't see any issue then, I fail to see any issue now.

If folk are going on about Afghanistan, it's a NATO operation.

Support the Troops.

(I haven't read the whole thread so no idea what has gone before.)

Far too sensible to be on this thread, Arnold. I suggest you alter your post to better suit those of the knee-jerk variety.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a lot of discussion round our bit of the Wheatfield about this. A lot of people feeling a bit uneasy about it and the way it seemed to pander to our visitors in roseburn stand. Our PR/Marketing department need a rocket up the colon.

No-one is arguing about our links with the forces/memorials/erskine etc, but I'd like to know how many times they have arranged these 'Forces' type events where Rangers weren't the opponents (Remembrance day aside).

Now, no doubt some 'traditionalist' will come back and say "why shouldn't we celebrate these guys?". Well, first of all, I'm at a football match not the bloody tattoo, but most of all it always seems to be against Rangers. I still cringe when I think back to the weekend after Princess Margaret died. Only one ground in Scotland had a minute's silence that weekend. Yes - Tynecastle. Who were we playing? You don't need to take too long to guess.

No wonder we get the tag of mini-huns, if our PR department organizes events that cater for Rangers supporters.

Ah, the Pantomime Princess Margaret. B)

Cappuccino Kid

Found it interesting that even our token jambo was asked are you going out to Afgahnistan? No oh are you just back Em No.Might have been wrong choise of guy but from services personnel i was told we got the catering corp and the unfit for active duty wondering around. No wonder so many had Rangers scarves on.

If i am proved wrong i will donate another ?50 on top of the money i have already pledged to Erskine.

Harry Palmer

Found it interesting that even our token jambo was asked are you going out to Afgahnistan? No oh are you just back Em No.Might have been wrong choise of guy but from services personnel i was told we got the catering corp and the unfit for active duty wondering around. No wonder so many had Rangers scarves on.

If i am proved wrong i will donate another ?50 on top of the money i have already pledged to Erskine.

Still don't see why it matters what Regiment or who they support has anything to do with anything?

In fact, I think this is a rather pointless thread and one of a number regarding the Troops appearance today.

As far as I'm concerned, if they wear the uniform I'll give them my support. If they want to select which match they want to go to fair enough.

People who sign up for the armed forces are just doing a job, just like I do my job. I dont expect to be cheered on to tynecastle at half time so they can all **** off.

Harry Palmer

People who sign up for the armed forces are just doing a job, just like I do my job. I dont expect to be cheered on to tynecastle at half time so they can all **** off.

MOD edit

MOD EDIT

Fair enough!

Just because people sign up to get shot at I should treat them like heros? Nah.

Just the same as every other working man out there IMO.

Cappuccino Kid

Still don't see why it matters what Regiment or who they support has anything to do with anything?

In fact, I think this is a rather pointless thread and one of a number regarding the Troops appearance today.

As far as I'm concerned, if they wear the uniform I'll give them my support. If they want to select which match they want to go to fair enough.

Which regiment are you in Arnold??? i'll take an infraction for asking.

Harry Palmer

Even more bollocks imo.

Anyway, this was about 'why today?' I gave a reasonable explanation as to why.....

I'll support the Troops. Clearly you don't. Oh and in your job do you swear an oath of allegiance? I now await the inevitable...'I do as a matter of fact....or something.'

shaun.lawson

Fair enough!

Just because people sign up to get shot at I should treat them like heros? Nah.

Just the same as every other working man out there IMO.

So every other working man is in serious danger of losing their life every day that they work? I see. :rolleyes:

What do I think of the politics behind the Iraq and Afghanistan wars? Not a lot. What do I think of the troops who we send there, often with desperately poor equipment, in hideous conditions, amidst constant danger which neither you, I nor almost anyone else on here could even begin to imagine? I think they are heroes; lions led by our donkey politicians.

Is it really that difficult to just shut up for a few minutes when some of them get their moment at Tynecastle? Are you really so po faced, so small minded that you can't see what these people put themselves through in the name of this country? It's pathetic. And while I raised my eyebrows that it was another Hearts-Rangers game this was happening at, actually, it was hardly going to be a game against Celtic (for obvious reasons), and soldiers, like most fans, are bound to prioritise games v the OF or Hibs over the others. So it would've been a simple choice of Rangers or Hibs; and yesterday was what they chose.

Good for them. :thumbsup:

Harry Palmer

Which regiment are you in Arnold??? i'll take an infraction for asking.

I'm not in any regiment.

However, I do have a sibling in the RAF and another who was in the RA. A friend in some other regiment who was really looking forward to joining up... 3yrs ago that was..somewhere in Lincolnshire when I bought him a drink...

He said he wasn't scared in reply to my question.

I still fail to see the problem about some squaddies wanting to take in a football match.

Cappuccino Kid

Even more bollocks imo.

Anyway, this was about 'why today?' I gave a reasonable explanation as to why.....

I'll support the Troops. Clearly you don't. Oh and in your job do you swear an oath of allegiance? I now await the inevitable...'I do as a matter of fact....or something.'

So we going for the i can't explain anyone else talking bollocks. Christ if knew i was up against such a well thought out arguement......

Arnold you do realise that every Police officer swears a similar oath so don't ever drop a crisp poke or complain about Police at away games. Most have the crown on their uniform.

Harry Palmer

So every other working man is in serious danger of losing their life every day that they work? I see. :rolleyes:

What do I think of the politics behind the Iraq and Afghanistan wars? Not a lot. What do I think of the troops who we send there, often with desperately poor equipment, in hideous conditions, amidst constant danger which neither you, I nor almost anyone else on here could even begin to imagine? I think they are heroes; lions led by our donkey politicians.

Is it really that difficult to just shut up for a few minutes when some of them get their moment at Tynecastle? Are you really so po faced, so small minded that you can't see what these people put themselves through in the name of this country? It's pathetic. And while I raised my eyebrows that it was another Hearts-Rangers game this was happening at, actually, it was hardly going to be a game against Celtic (for obvious reasons), and soldiers, like most fans, are bound to prioritise games v the OF or Hibs over the others. So it would've been a simple choice of Rangers or Hibs; and yesterday was what they chose.

Good for them. :thumbsup:

Where's the rep button gone? BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Nice analogy as well...lions led by donkeys... Where have I heard that before?

:)

Harry Palmer

So we going for the i can't explain anyone else talking bollocks. Christ if knew i was up against such a well thought out arguement......

Arnold you do realise that every Police officer swears a similar oath so don't ever drop a crisp poke or complain about Police at away games. Most have the crown on their uniform.

I hope you realise I wasn't responding to you. Otherwise I would've quoted you, as I did.

Indeed, and do they not also put their lives on the line?

shaun.lawson

Where's the rep button gone? BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Nice analogy as well...lions led by donkeys... Where have I heard that before?

:)

Well, that's the thing. The Hearts players who joined up in 1914 weren't forced to join up either. Certainly, there was pressure applied; but nothing compelled them to. So I take it all those who have this appalling, so selfish it's unbelievable attitude of "no-one forces them to do it - so why should I respect them?" refuse to commemorate what those great heroes did 96 years ago either?

And before anyone says: "But they joined a life or death struggle for freedom", the thing is, they didn't. Unbeknown to them, they were walking into hideous mass slaughter which essentially achieved nothing. Yet we still remember and revere them - and damn right we do too.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

Does anyone else really not like the term 'squaddie'? This has no relevance to anything, really, I just don't like it. If were to become a solder and someone called me a squaddie, I'd have them shot or something.

Minging word.

Harry Palmer

I'm sure my brother didn't bother what he was called... Jock, squaddie, Cpl...he even referred to others as being a 'squaddie.' Therefore, I have no problem about saying/writing it.

Getintaethem

All the best to our squaddies whatever team they support.

Also a big cheer for Stephen Naismith for continually demonstrating how to avoid a landmine explosion. :thumbsup:

This post may appear a little sick, but having watched Frankie Boyle tonight I fear I've been a bit tame.

Seriously though, even if they are rangers fans I hope that they come back to thier families alive.

Anybody who is happy to go and fight a war to protect our country has got my respect, and as far as I'm concerned will always be welcome at Tynecastle Stadium. I don't give a fecking toss whether they're Hearts, Hibs, Rangers, Celtic, East Fife, Brechin or any other supporters. If they decide they want to take in a Hearts vs Rangers match, then what's the problem? I think I'm missing something here.

Some people could do with growing up.

andfultons baggio

There was a lot of discussion round our bit of the Wheatfield about this. A lot of people feeling a bit uneasy about it and the way it seemed to pander to our visitors in roseburn stand. Our PR/Marketing department need a rocket up the colon.

No-one is arguing about our links with the forces/memorials/erskine etc, but I'd like to know how many times they have arranged these 'Forces' type events where Rangers weren't the opponents (Remembrance day aside).

Now, no doubt some 'traditionalist' will come back and say "why shouldn't we celebrate these guys?". Well, first of all, I'm at a football match not the bloody tattoo, but most of all it always seems to be against Rangers. I still cringe when I think back to the weekend after Princess Margaret died. Only one ground in Scotland had a minute's silence that weekend. Yes - Tynecastle. Who were we playing? You don't need to take too long to guess.

No wonder we get the tag of mini-huns, if our PR department organizes events that cater for Rangers supporters.

Good post totally agree-it smacks of pandering and rightly or wrongly could be viewed by rest of Scottish football as a loyalist love in. It's football not politics.

I wasn't comfortable with it at all yesterday.

Its a football match, and we were the hosts. Guests should either be Hearts associated or neutral.

The armed forces are a personal choice, and not one I wish to have any association with. If we must celebrate them, do it on historically important dates such as VE Day, VJ Day, Remembrance Sunday. However, please never do it again with a bunch of Huns fans.

It gave Rangers fans a lift at half time. I clapped them onto their pitch but they lost all respect from me as soon as they all headed straight for the Rangers end with Hun scarves raised above their heads.

As I said, its a personal choice to join the forces, and comparisons with the first and second world wars aren't valid. Yesterday was a Hearts home football match, where a win or draw could have boosted our morale - all we did was score a huge own goal and lose the momentum we finished with in the first half.

MacDonald Jardine

Good post totally agree-it smacks of pandering and rightly or wrongly could be viewed by rest of Scottish football as a loyalist love in. It's football not politics.

Here we go again.

What is the obsession with doing things to make other clubs think better of us?

portobellojambo1

Anybody who is happy to go and fight a war to protect our country has got my respect, and as far as I'm concerned will always be welcome at Tynecastle Stadium. I don't give a fecking toss whether they're Hearts, Hibs, Rangers, Celtic, East Fife, Brechin or any other supporters. If they decide they want to take in a Hearts vs Rangers match, then what's the problem? I think I'm missing something here.

100% correct. What this thread has proved is that within Edinburgh not all tossers go to watch their football at Easter Road, although going by some of their comments either there or Parkhead would be a more sensible choice for them.

I wasn't comfortable with it at all yesterday.

Its a football match, and we were the hosts. Guests should either be Hearts associated or neutral.

The armed forces are a personal choice, and not one I wish to have any association with. If we must celebrate them, do it on historically important dates such as VE Day, VJ Day, Remembrance Sunday. However, please never do it again with a bunch of Huns fans.

It gave Rangers fans a lift at half time. I clapped them onto their pitch but they lost all respect from me as soon as they all headed straight for the Rangers end with Hun scarves raised above their heads.

As I said, its a personal choice to join the forces, and comparisons with the first and second world wars aren't valid. Yesterday was a Hearts home football match, where a win or draw could have boosted our morale - all we did was score a huge own goal and lose the momentum we finished with in the first half.

We'd have won the game if it was not for the squaddies wearing Rangers scarves is the best one yet. :teehee:

We'd have won the game if it was not for the squaddies wearing Rangers scarves is the best one yet. :teehee:

Congratulations, sir - you take the prize for the most illiterate poster on kickback. :thumbsup:

Francis Albert

I am certainly not going to do anything other than respectfully applaud but I'd be interested to know what those who were apopleptic about the Pope's silence "because it had nothing to do with football" think.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Genius contribution to the thread. We need much more of this inciteful intelligence. I have stated an opinion, you have.... well banged your bits on the keyboard with caplocks on.

What opinion did you state? If they want to wander about the pitch, wearing Hun gear, let them do it at Ibrox. If they weren't in the army they'd probably be in jail.

What opinion did you state? If they want to wander about the pitch, wearing Hun gear, let them do it at Ibrox.

Spot on.

I applauded them onto the pitch but once they raised their hun scaves en masse and headed for the huns end I went down the tunnel in disgust.

Agree 100%. Sums up exactly how I feel on this subject. Some of these posts have been an embarrassment.

Agree 100%. Sums up exactly how I feel on this subject. Some of these posts have been an embarrassment.

If they want to take in a Hearts vs Rangers match, next time they should sit in the visitors end and stay there.

By the way, if you want to make a point criticising other peoples replies at least try and be constructive. Your post is the worst type of etiquette you see on internet forums - quote an old post that is irrelevant to the current state on the thread then make a general remark without giving justification to it.

Francis Albert

One other point. Was there a collection at the game for Erskine? If we are going to provide a show for the flag-waving, loyalist hordes we should at least give them the opportunity to put their money where their mouths are ...

If they want to take in a Hearts vs Rangers match, next time they should sit in the visitors end and stay there.

By the way, if you want to make a point criticising other peoples replies at least try and be constructive. Your post is the worst type of etiquette you see on internet forums - quote an old post that is irrelevant to the current state on the thread then make a general remark without giving justification to it.

So you wouldn't want the chance to show your appreciation for the people protecting our country because they happen to be Rangers supporters?

I despair at this board at times, I really do. There's more to life than a game of football.

So you wouldn't want the chance to show your appreciation for the people protecting our country because they happen to be Rangers supporters?

There are plenty of ways to do that without having it forced down your throat at the football.

There are plenty of ways to do that without having it forced down your throat at the football.

I agree with this, but personally I don't see the problem with these servicemen being at Tynecastle aswell. I guess other people have issues with it, which they're more than entitled to.

I agree with this, but personally I don't see the problem with these servicemen being at Tynecastle aswell. I guess other people have issues with it, which they're more than entitled to.

Guests of the club should not he primarily supporters of the opposing team, dressed in their club colours.

As I said, I applauded them until they made a bee-line straight for the huns end, with Rangers scarves above their heads. As guests of the club they treated HMFC and its fans with disrespect.

I think in instances like yesterday where the vast majority of the soldiers were Rangers supporters it would be enough to give them their tickets in the Roseburn and at half time announce something along the lines of "as part of Hearts' association with Erskine we welcome some members of XXXXXXXXXX to the Roseburn stand as guests of the club".

That's all it needs IMO.

I despair at this board at times, I really do. There's more to life than a game of football.

Spot on mate. There are way too many bigoted imbeciles on here. :down:

Guests of the club should not he primarily supporters of the opposing team, dressed in their club colours.

As I said, I applauded them until they made a bee-line straight for the huns end, with Rangers scarves above their heads. As guests of the club they treated HMFC and its fans with disrespect.

These people are out protecting our nation in far worse conditions than me and you are used to, and your complaining that they go over to the supporters of the team they support. Crazy.

I seem to remember a game at Ibrox (2 seasons ago I think) where our armed forces came out at half time, and 2 or 3 of them were Hearts supporters, and came over to the Hearts support. I guess they disrespected Rangers that day aswell?

I am sure they are brave and perform an admirable function in the Gulf and that Erskine [home] is a fine cause but I would prefer that my club didn't invite them to games versus Rangers.

What we witnesseed today was quite disgusting that their presence was hijacked by our visitors for their vile agenda.

Never again .... please.

That is utter bollocks... if you can't stand those brave lads and lasses enjoying a day out at Tynecastle just because of the scarf they have around their necks then you have serious issues... you should stay at home in future.

... what a ******* stupid thing to post.

These people are out protecting our nations in far worse conditions than me and you are used to, and your complaining that they go over to the supporters of the team they support. Crazy.

That point is irrelevant - it is their personal choice, and it is debatable as to whether they/our politicians have made things more dangerous for us back home with the Iraq war and failure to deal with Israel, who are the root of all problems in the middle east.

The modern wars in Iraq and Afghanistan cannot be compared to the conflicts of the first and second world wars.

Red Cross volunteers and others are doing an equally valid role overseas. What about the people helping flood victims in Pakistan. When did we last have them on the pitch?

I seem to remember a game at Ibrox (2 seasons ago I think) where our armed forces came out at half time, and 2 or 3 of them were Hearts supporters, and came over to the Hearts support. I guess they disrespected Rangers that day aswell?

So how many Hearts fans were there amongst them yesterday - one?

None of them should have been wearing colours and they should have walked around the entire pitch not gone straight for the Huns end, scarves above heads.

That lot yesterday showed disrespect and in future should be given tickets for the stand and a brief half-time mention over the tannoy as per JamboJen's suggestion.

To sum up it was like inviting a guest for dinner only for them to leave a dump on the carpet.

That point is irrelevant - it is their personal choice, and it is debatable as to whether they/our politicians have made things more dangerous for us back home with the Iraq war and failure to deal with Israel, who are the root of all problems in the middle east.

The modern wars in Iraq and Afghanistan cannot be compared to the conflicts of the first and second world wars.

Red Cross volunteers and others are doing an equally valid role overseas. What about the people helping flood victims in Pakistan. When did we last have them on the pitch?

So how many Hearts fans were there amongst them yesterday - one?

None of them should have been wearing colours and they should have walked around the entire pitch not gone straight for the Huns end, scarves above heads.

That lot yesterday showed disrespect and in future should be given tickets for the stand and a brief half-time mention over the tannoy as per JamboJen's suggestion.

To sum up it was like inviting a guest for dinner only for them to leave a dump on the carpet.

Aye, alright.

Toxteth O'Grady

The Rangers fans were very quiet before half time, it gave them a boost and they were making plenty of noise at the start of the second half.

I don't think it worked in our favour in football terms.

You've just noticed? :blink:

Ah, I see its now a case of dropping to personal abuse when your arguments are shot to flames.

Its easy to identify poor posters when they can't sustain a debate.

Please justify why it is our duty to show respect to people who clearly aren't interested in reciprocating it?

Archived