What can we learn? / Various defence related grumbles (merged threads)

scratchy

stating the obvious

The defence needs work!!! Whether that involves riding it out until they click( presley, like Barr had a ingnominious start to his Hearts career :whistling: or recruiting from the youth ranks, it'll take time.

But, under the circumstances and not to underestimate the disappointment, credit has to be given for a second half performance which shows a fighting spirit that, albeit fruitless in the end, will galvanise the team for the long term.

How we react is the most important thing.

Move on!

It's a bummer, cause I would love to win the CIS, it's a bit o silver wear and it get's it up the Hobos, since they have an affinity with booby prizes.

But that's about it! Gutted, but I'll sleep tonight.

We need to learn (drum into the players) that the second half is how we should approach every game, that must be the minimum of effort that is expected.

After the first half away to a decent first division side, in a diddy cup and 2-0 down with 10men, i have to be pleased (disappointed to be out) with the effort shown in the second half, that is all we could have asked for at half time and we got it.

Will be interesting to see if Big Zal's allowed back into the team when he's fit again. Someone mentioned Ryan MacGown in central defence. On a positive note at least we're scoring goals. I imagine JJ's making the case to Vlad about our defence and maybe Capaldi will come back into the frame.

Big_Hearts_Runner

JJ prioritised bringing in a centre half....he got an unfit Skacel.

On the basis of tonight with Templeton and particularly Suso playing well I'd say he might be slightly peeved as our back two were very poor. We miss Zal & Wallace but another centre half is needed!

Tonight we learnt nothing much.

JJ is a motivator but not really a tactician.

Kyle is a good signing, but Barr is not (yet).

Defence is atrocious. Need Csaba to marshall them on the training pitch!

And BTW - I dont want 7 goals thrillers that we lose in. I want wins.

Maybe, just maybe, this is going to be for JJ what the 4-4 pens loss to Dundee was back in JJ's beginning?

After that, he reshaped the team, we got better and a couple of years later won the cup.

We learned that we have severe defensive problems, partly caused by continual change through injury. Maybe we need to protect the back 4 more,from a defensive midfield perspective.

We also learned that we have 4 guys in the team - Suso, Stevenson, Kyle and Templeton - who will give 100% for the jersey, and genuinely care about the club. They were magnificent in the 2nd half, almost taking the match from Falkirk on their own, only to be let down by more poor defending.

We also learned that Hearts still have the age old problem of, sometimes, under estimating lower league opposition. If we had started the match properly from the start, we would have won easily. As someone else said on another post, it was a copy of the Dundee League Cup tie without the extra time and penalties. Let's hope that we go on to have the same eventual outcome.

Captain Scarlett

Also think we learned that we must keep 11 players on the pitch.It seems like the old regime mentality is still there regarding stupid sending offs.Please Hearts start cutting this out.

We learned that we have severe defensive problems, partly caused by continual change through injury. Maybe we need to protect the back 4 more,from a defensive midfield perspective.

We also learned that we have 4 guys in the team - Suso, Stevenson, Kyle and Templeton - who will give 100% for the jersey, and genuinely care about the club. They were magnificent in the 2nd half, almost taking the match from Falkirk on their own, only to be let down by more poor defending.

We also learned that Hearts still have the age old problem of, sometimes, under estimating lower league opposition. If we had started the match properly from the start, we would have won easily. As someone else said on another post, it was a copy of the Dundee League Cup tie without the extra time and penalties. Let's hope that we go on to have the same eventual outcome.

What we should learn is that bBilly Browns obsession with not playing a defensive midfielder,because"it leaves us a man short in midfield and the CHs should do that job" will not work with Barr and Bouzid because they cant do the job.

Rueben is not the answer surely Park deserves a try at least

We need to get the balance right we now have 2 decent wingers and Kyle

We3 cannot have yet another season where club politics drag the team down Zaliukas is not demanding premiership wages,also playRudi at left back swallow your pride Jefferies and admit he is a decent signing,despite what some bubble you hardly know has told you.

Jefferies also said in Italy that Hearts fitness will not be an issue this seasin..it is

oh ah grantona

How the hell did we not strenghin our defence during the window 2 players down and we are screwed (some would say even with the 2 we are screwed).If jj is not willing to trust any our youngsters why did we not have a more active look at our defence? :verymad:

options as it clearly aint working

mcgowan= seen him play there for youths i think not bad

balatoni= if he is still around maybe time to promote

marowiec= im sure he filled in at back against aberdeen away (larry sending off) he was outstanding

left back

youngsters????

one of the thompson (prob more jason)

eggert ( of what i have seen of him out there he is stronger there than centre half)

rudi

I thought JJ just had a left back in on trial a couple of weeks ago, but instead of signing him he has been given a left sided attacking player. As for CH, that position wouldnt have been such an issue if it wasnt for the mad one seemingly banning a player for not agreeing new terms. :(

Start of the season came and we never signed any left-sided defenders. Knew this was going to be a problem this season, shame the scouts/coaches etc didn't recognise it, it is their job afterall. Last year, we were fairly solid defensively, attacking options were our problem. This has been sorted to a degree and now we can't defend to save ourselves!

Goncalves or Berra haven't been replaced properly and i knew that if Wallace was to be transferred or injured, we'd be in trouble. Now we have Palazuelos playing left-back while Obua doesn't play regularly even though he was originally signed as a left-back, Skacel's as much use there as a chocolate kettle so where do we go from here? Alan Maybury has played left-back many times for Hearts even though he's technically right-sided yet done a decent job, what do Hearts do? Let him sign for St Johnstone when he could have came in on a short-term contract at least. Pretty typical Hearts really. So far we've lost 4 precious home points this season, if we get another draw on Saturday against Motherwell we'll be doing well to actually get it. Funny how most other clubs can find solutions to their team weaknesses by signing someone on short-term deals or loan deals from down south and we can't. The scouts need a serious boot up the jacksy, if they don't do their job, sack them and bring some proper ones in instead!

Archived