So who should Rudi replace if good enough!

JamboJohn1874

Making the assumption that Rudi has not lost all his previous ability and has a game still suited to SPL, where should he play?

Does he get played at left back where Wallace is out for a long time?

In thinking about this, He is actually a similar kind of player in general style to Wallace and in Scotland would probably do pretty well here. Leaving aside his personal desire not to play in this position, I can?t help thinking that anyone who scored 17 goals in his last season with us, would be completely wasted here and I really don?t think the general support would be overly happy if JJ actually played him here. Left back seems out to me.

Does he replace Templeton?

No chance ? This young guy is a star in the making and has a big future in the game. He is also likely to be responsible for removing a large chunk of the club debt in the future.

Does he replace Black?

This is really tempting. I?m not a big fan of Black and as a left sided player this may work. The downside to this, if indeed there is one, is that the midfield may lose some dig. On the other side, we would really become an attack minded team to be reckoned with.

Does he replace Ruben?

As per Black.

Does he replace Stevenson?

The more I think about this, the more this actually makes sense! Stevenson seems to want to play an attacking midfield role and thinking about all his performances so far this season, this makes sence. Is he a better player than a fit Rudi and is he likely to score/create more goals ? No way! Being one of JJ?s signings however, he may actually be reluctant to drop him. This scenario has to be one of the favourites.

Does he replace Suso and put Templeton out right?

Who is a bigger goal threat and provider Suso or Templeton- I?m not so sure there is much between them really! You simply can?t drop Templeton however in my opinion, so this is another distinct possibility.

How about replacing Clum up front and playing Rudi just off Kyle. Would Skacel be a bigger goal threat playing a bit more central and upfront? Even playing out of position I actually think he would do quite well here, he has an eye for goal as his record shows. Clum has improved somewhat and is currently scoring some goals, although In my opinion he simply does not contribute enough. Someone else would score the same if not more goals and do better. This Skacel scenario may not be my first choice however but I?d like to see it tried a couple of times at least.

My favourite then!

I would like to see him tried off Kyle for a few weeks up front and if that does not work, replace Stevenson. If I thought Black could be removed without losing some dig in midfield, that would be my first choice. I just don?t think it would work.

Interesting to see what anyone else thinks!

Victor Meldrew

Making the assumption that Rudi has not lost all his previous ability and has a game still suited to SPL, where should he play?

In thinking about this, He is actually a similar kind of player in general style to Wallace and in Scotland would probably do pretty well here. Leaving aside his personal desire not to play in this position, I can?t help thinking that anyone who scored 17 goals in his last season with us, would be completely wasted here and I really don?t think the general support would be overly happy if JJ actually played him here. Left back seems out to me.

No chance ? This young guy is a star in the making and has a big future in the game. He is also likely to be responsible for removing a large chunk of the club debt in the future.

Does he replace Black?

This is really tempting. I?m not a big fan of Black and as a left sided player this may work. The downside to this, if indeed there is one, is that the midfield may lose some dig. On the other side, we would really become an attack minded team to be reckoned with.

Does he replace Ruben?

As per Black.

The more I think about this, the more this actually makes sense! Stevenson seems to want to play an attacking midfield role and thinking about all his performances so far this season, this makes sence. Is he a better player than a fit Rudi and is he likely to score/create more goals ? No way! Being one of JJ?s signings however, he may actually be reluctant to drop him. This scenario has to be one of the favourites.

Who is a bigger goal threat and provider Suso or Templeton- I?m not so sure there is much between them really! You simply can?t drop Templeton however in my opinion, so this is another distinct possibility.

How about replacing Clum up front and playing Rudi just off Kyle. Would Skacel be a bigger goal threat playing a bit more central and upfront? Even playing out of position I actually think he would do quite well here, he has an eye for goal as his record shows. Clum has improved somewhat and is currently scoring some goals, although In my opinion he simply does not contribute enough. Someone else would score the same if not more goals and do better. This Skacel scenario may not be my first choice however but I?d like to see it tried a couple of times at least.

My favourite then!

I would like to see him tried off Kyle for a few weeks up front and if that does not work, replace Stevenson. If I thought Black could be removed without losing some dig in midfield, that would be my first choice. I just don?t think it would work.

Er, you want to replace Clum?

That would be our top scorer, who has scored 4 in 3 SPL starts this season. Why exactly would you want to drop him to accommodate Rudi, who may or may not perform well?

To use Rudi's strengths, I would have thought the answer would be either to put Templeton on the right and Rudi on the left (dropping Suso) or having him on the left side of centre midfield in a 4-4-2 with Templeton Jonsson and Driver (when fit).

Frankenstein Jambo.

Does he replace Black?

Does he replace Ruben?

As per Black.

My favourite then!

I liked your post up until this point. How can you justify dropping a stiker who is full of confidence and scoring goals? There also seems to be a chemistry between Kyle and Elliot so putting Rudi there, while he may be a better player, doesn't mean a partnership will flourish.

marshallschunkychicken

Whatever we do, we CANNOT replace Calum 'confidence player' Elliott, just at the time he seems to have his tail up.

Tynecastle Valhalla

i'd play him in the centre of the park alongside stevo or jonsson. keep temps and suso on each wing and when driver comes back he will be a part of the midfield as well.

if he can run on to kyle's knock downs we could be looking at quite a few goals

Put Suso on the bench and switch Temps to the right.

Agree with you as Temps always seems to want to cut inside onto his right foot, rather than sometimes a better option would be to go outside his man and fire in a good left footed cross.So Rudi left Temps right until Driver is fit and then the problems really start.

Put Suso on the bench and switch Temps to the right.

This. With Suso coming on if one of them are having a bad game. That would be our wide midfield SORTED! :thumbsup:

Inside left in Midfield:

Templeton Rudi Johnsson/Pala Driver/Suso

or

Attacking Midfielder:

Rudi

Templeton Johnsson/Pala Driver/Suso

Black dropped. Stevenson covering for injuries. Johnsson is better than Pala at left back.

I can see trouble ahead with this one unless Rudi is outstanding.

The fall guys are Black, Stevenson, Templeton and JJ likes them all.

Rudi is going to have to go that extra mile to prove his worth.

ROMANOV FAN CLUB

It's a no brainer for me Stevenson has done faff all since joining Hearts and even his goal yesterday was a bit lucky to go in

Black has proved one thing since being with Hearts, that he's at best a 20 minute sub and truely is a squad player

I think Temps, Novi and Clum have done more than enough to merit their chances in the team and Rudi should be given the attacking midfield role

In my opinion Black and Stevenson should be loaned out in January or told to find new clubs

Would love to be proved wrong about these two as we have had our fair share of players since Vlad came in that have taken over a season to settle

Forward 6

Jonsson (dm)

Driver (lw)

Temps (rw)

Rudi(am)

Kyle (f)

Eliott (f)

I think that I a great midfield who will cause team a ton of probs, black, suso, Stevenson, obua, s eliott as back-up...I still hope Scott Robinson gets a sniff tho

Given the evident frailties at the heart of our defence and through the middle of the park, playing Suso, Templeton, Skacel, Kyle and Elliott together would be a luxury that we could rarely afford away from home and certainly not against either of the uglies. Even when most of the unavailable players are available, I can't imagine us playing the same eleven every week, so I imagine it will be horses for courses in the coming months, with JJ making adroit use of his substitutions.

Play Rudi on the left and Temps on the right.Just as Calum needs a strike partner I think Kyle needs the same other wise he'll just be flicking it onto no one.Temps can play just as good on the right hand side and when either of them tires bring on Suso.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

"Clum does not contribute enough"

Nearly fell of me seat! Incredible, I am genuinely flabbergasted abd I can only assume anyone making that statement has either not watched him in action anywhere other than that vid on Youtube or they do not recognise a footballer to save their life.

4 goals in 4 games without starting in all of them and better running in the chanels than anyone else at the club, great link-up play and a natural finisher who can score from acute angles as well as tap-ins. He is actually deceptively pacy too, maybe not a flat out speedster like Colin Samual or someone but he has a 'change of pace' and acceleration that allows him to spring defences as well as latch on to through balls or crosses.

Doesn't contribute enough? Gob-smacked!

interesting for me that a few seem to want to drop Suso. Temperment aside he IMHO has been about our most consistent if not best player this early in the season.

Rudi could easily do a Paul Hartley type role feom the middle of the park. Where Rudi would fall down is defending after going forward, not a natural back tracker. again we have to presume he is mostly the player he was and on that basis should walk into our current side. Temps floats in and out a game but not completely his fault and Skacel may be the type to bring him into play so would like to see him beside Jonsson in centre mid where Eggert concentrates on being the defensive midfielder and Rudi offensive. Dont think Temps or Suso deserve dropped but on a sperate note both of those could have been sent off yesterday, Suso for a barge off the ball on Tokley I think right in front of ref and temps for a shocking two foot lunge that could easily have had him red carded.

In conclusion Stevenson would have to drop out but he has been forced to play everywhere except his natural position so element of sympathy.

Calum Elliot although I am not his biggest fan has to continue as long as he is the in form striker with hopefully a fit KK beside him. I think we can put out a fairly settled side with players playing in natural positions although one exception is LB where we do not seem to be any nearer finding a solution. Pala was booked early on yesterday and it was obvious we had to get him out of there. He then committed another couple of fouls and Brines being the knob he is could have easily sent him off. It was much much later JJ decided to do just that and take Pala out of the firing line. TBF I am slightly bemused cos his best performances last year in a poor season for him were at LB but this season he doesnt look at the races in any position which means a long run of pretty poor form for him.

Bouzid is looking good much to my suprise and yesterday was the dominant one from our two CHs but hope with a settled run there Barr will improve

Suso has been excellent this season... I know that upsets a few folk but there you go.

I think that is bit of an exaggeration.

To put ourselves in a position where we had to depend on Rudi for 90 minutes would run contrary to our experience. Rudi was (is?) a 45 minute player.

For this reason I wouldn't be tempted to play him at LB. Rather I would play him as AM instead of Stevenson. When he gets tired/loses concentration/fancies a plate of chips then hook him and bring Stevo on.

Whatever position JJ decides, I hope it doesn't involve dropping Suso who has been one of the most consistent outfield players so far this season.

i'd play him in the centre of the park alongside stevo or jonsson. keep temps and suso on each wing and when driver comes back he will be a part of the midfield as well.

if he can run on to kyle's knock downs we could be looking at quite a few goals

Best option by far if he is not covering at left back.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

We need to have a good squad and Rudi will help with that, personaly I would have him competing with Stevenson and Jonsson for a slot in the middle of the park, we need competition and the guys who perform best should get the nod. Also there will be occasions where we will want to play with more midfielders and just one striker, or we will need to cover for injuries.

We need to have a good squad and Rudi will help with that, personaly I would have him competing with Stevenson and Jonsson for a slot in the middle of the park, we need competition and the guys who perform best should get the nod. Also there will be occasions where we will want to play with more midfielders and just one striker, or we will need to cover for injuries.

I would agree with this.

@ the folk saying Rudi would weaken our midfield defensively: Surely he has been playing as a defender ever since he left us. Surely he must be able to track back and tackle if he was getting a game as an international fullback. IIRC Rudi did a fair bit of this when he first joined us. I know people will counter this by saying, "Aye, but what about the second half of the season?" These people have a point, but I would put forward two arguments to this. The first is that Rudi was playing as a winger in the set-up that year. He had other people in the time to do the donkey work so that he could concentrate on scoring. My second argument is that we have not signed the same Rudi we sold. He is older now. Last time he had big dreams of his next move and was, by his own admission, scared of ruining his big move down south. We areRudi's last big move. He will want his homecoming to go to plan, complete with fan adoration and critical recognition. He mentioned in the press conference something about "staking his name" on his return to Hearts. I expect to see Heartly-esque commitment.

Suso and Templeton have been pretty good this season, so unless there's an injury to either one of them, we shouldnt be dropping either to make way for Rudi.

Rudi can play in attacking central midfield and I'd move Stevenson to Black's position and drop Black.

We also need to find someone who can play left back until Wallace is back and it sure aint Ruben Palazuelos so Skacel might have to play there to get a game. Templeton and Skacel down the left in an attacking sense looks good to me. Not sure it helps us defensively though.

To think that Templeton and Suso will continue to play at their current high standard and stay injury free for the whole season is naive.

BUT in the unlikely case that they do:

Skacel would firstly be a (hopefully) decent impact sub to bring on.

A direct to goal player with a belter of a left peg.

My favourite then!

Yet another anti Calum Elliot post from JamboJohn1874, who posts exclusively about Elliot and as I have posted before, seems to have some sort of bitter personal agenda against Calum. Honestly, you are by a considerable distance, the worst contributor to this board.

Jambof3tornado

Rudi should play at left back for now,and be given freedom to go beyond the midfield as and when he chooses. That covers us until shooter gets back. After that he will fill in where he is needed. Not sure he will start many games!

Johanes de Silentio

Given that we are struggling at LB, and that Rudi can play there, he should play at LB - but he don't wanna.

He's also not fully match-fit/sharp, in which case he should start on the bench until he claims a place.

Depending on our formation/tactics, he could maybe play in the Bruno Aguiar position - like Bruno, but a wee bit more dynamic.

Temps has done enough to keep his place - even with Rudi and (dare I say it) Driver available.

Good problem to have.

I do feel, though, that Rudi should be saying to JJ "Look, boss - I'm not really a left-back, and I hate playing there, but if it'll help the team, then I'll do it", but he doesn't seem to have said that.

Skacel always said that he thrived due to Fysass being at LB - if Skacel was up for it, he could return the favour, and do the same for wee Temps. (or Driver)

Good signing, though! :thumbsup:

start him off at LB because as it stands we're going to miss lee hugely. not just his ability to go forward but its impossible to marshall a backline when there is someone who doesnt know how to play their position. rudi has experience of being a left back.

i think that temps has been outstanding this season so far but he is young and will have a bad game or two eventually and will need protected. from that i'd have rudi at left wing when temps needs a break and playing off the strikers at any other time.

Drop Black and have him in the centre, with driver (when fit) and templeton on the wings with stevenson or pala in the centre and play jonsson at left back. Suso an impact player.

Do you think JJ will stick him straight into the squad when he's fit though?

Left Back !!!!

Who would we have played at left back had Rudi not signed ? Because THATS who we should play.

Its open to debate IMO as to whether Skacel would be as good/bad/indifferent a left back as Palazuelos is, or as anyone else at the club is.

But gents..Please............ Rudi Skacel is a forward with attacking menace and something to contribute up front. If he's going to play, lets fit him in somewhere where he can do some damage, not kicking his heels playing a position he doesnt want to play and probably isnt very good at. If we're going to have a not very good left back for a while, and it seems we are, then lets not have it be Skacel, who could and should be up there creating things and making a pest of himself for us

Pains me to say it, but JJ has his starting 11 sorted for now, so I can only see Rudi featuring from the bench.

Temps is undropable at the moment and isn't as effective on the right. Suso seems to have found some form, so again difficult to switch him or drop him to make way. I'd love to see Rudi play in the middle with Jonsson, but it's too lightweight, especially with Temps and Suso wide. AS for left back, potential but I'd worry about cover with Temps playing in front.

To conclude, probably appearances from the bench in most games and supporting Elliott or Kyle up front against the OF or in tough away games.

I wouldn't put him at left back whoever played there after pal was substituted did well enough was it egert? anyways for the first game I would use him as a sub and put him on later for a run out to replace temps/suso whichever one wasn't really in the game by yes a switch to the right for temps if suso is quiet - we have a good midfeild i bet hartley will soon regret choosing aberdeen like severin and lee miller they were average at best after leaving us :P

Jambof3tornado

How fit is Rudi meant to be? Is an appearance on tuesday really likely or are Hearts pulling a flanker by making it sound possible,just to sell extra tickets(which it will do!!)??

How fit is Rudi meant to be? Is an appearance on tuesday really likely or are Hearts pulling a flanker by making it sound possible,just to sell extra tickets(which it will do!!)??

He said in his interview that next Saturday is "more likely", before he was asked all the irrelevant crap about who signed him, to which he should have said "Heart of Midlothian FC signed me and I'm very pleased to be here"..........end of.

He said in his interview that next Saturday is "more likely", before he was asked all the irrelevant crap about who signed him, to which he should have said "Heart of Midlothian FC signed me and I'm very pleased to be here"..........end of.

To be fair, he said that he'd spoken to the manager before and if the manager didn't want him then he wouldn't be there.

To be fair, he said that he'd spoken to the manager before and if the manager didn't want him then he wouldn't be there.

Hmmm I thought he said he had "met him" once before but got the impression it wasnt that recent. I thought he then said when he was asked that he hadnt spoken to Jefferies until the day before (the interview) Could be wrong but what I took from the interview was that JJ didnt know a whole lot about it until it was a done deal.

I dont care much anyway. Its a good signing of someone who is proven and it doesnt matter much to me who actually came up with the idea. Its clear IMO that it wasnt Jefferies but that doesnt mean it was Romanov. Even if it was Romanov he can hardly be criticised for it since its a re- signing plenty of Hearts fans have been hoping for since he left.

Quite encouraging of Rudi to terminate his contract with his old club knowing that Hearts were interested but it would be after the window closed.That could have went wrong for him and hats off to him for making the move possible for that bit longer.

He sounds like he's here to work and it will only be 45 minutes before any reservations that JJ might still be harbouring, evaporate completely.

Wingers are always inconsistent especially young wingers so at the moment Skacel may have to wait for Templeton on Suso to have a bad game then put him in..

In my opinion Templeton cant last a full season every game so bring him in against the poorer teams when we can attack them.. Lets be honest I dont think Templeton left the Celtic left backs back pocket in the previous game.. I doubt you could have said that about Skacel had he been playing.. Templeton might be a great prospect but if we are playing our strongest eleven then skacel would probably be in it at left midfield..

Still its a great selection headache for the manager to have.. Its just a pity he doesnt have the same problems at Centre Back.. We desperately need Zaliukas to sort out his contract and get back playing.. At the moment our centre half pairing will cost us at least a goal a game..

Kello

C.Thompson Zal Bouzid Eggert

Suso Ruben Skacel Temps

Kyle C.Elliot

This would be my first choice, and if you think of the team we could make with the players who are injured/not fit etc, it really does make you moist

Balogh

J.Thomson Barr McGowan Wallace

Driver Black Obua Stevenson

S.Elliot Glen

Could we make a 3rd team?

Macdonald for starters?

I'm doing this of the top of my head so I probs have missed a few

Might be worth a try in the centre of midfield.Black.Ruben Stevenson and Jonsson have been average at best.Suso and Templeton have been far better than the central four.

Templeton is playing superbly well so he has to keep his place. And get him signed up for 5 years. Id be seething if he lost his place in the team anytime soon.

Id be tempted to try Skacel at LB due to our problems there. He cant be much worse than Ruben thats for sure. But i like to see him brought on against tired legs in the second half to get him started and settled back in. Also behind the strikers in 'the hole' could be a good role for him. I guess it all depends on how he does in training and if he's still got it.

:whistling:

Does he replace Black?

Does he replace Ruben?

As per Black.

My favourite then!

Archived