Midfield Balance

Ray Winstone

I thought the balance of the midfield looked a lot better today when Black went off and Stevenson dropped back into his more natural position.

I think Hearts play best with one attack minded CM and one who will sit and protect rather than playing with two holding midfielders.

Even when we have played with two up front their is a lack of creativity down the middle with Black/Jonnson/Palazuelos/Mroweic playing together and we rely too much on Suso and Temps from the wings.

I would like to see Stevo get an extended run as a central midfielder rather than support striker, I know a lot are touting Rudi for this position, but I thought Stevenson looked very comfortable today and took his goal well.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

One things for sure ... Stevenson can't play in 'the hole'. Nothing more than a squad player for me. Glad he got his goal today though, well taken.

I thought the centre of our midfield was poor today, until the closing stages when Mroiwec came on.

Eggert had a poor game but he hasn't played there for a while. He deserves a run to make it his.

Stevenson was anonymous but finished well. I like him but I think he has a bit to go until he can impose himself on a game.

The problem was that our defense and midfield lacked composure until the last ten minutes. Ball was relentlessly given away and the defense often by-passed the midfield.

I think having Rudi in there would give us some composure, and he is probably one of our best passers.

That will be the same Stevenson that lost his man for Caley's goal? A decent squad player no more. Took his goal well.

I think Stevenson will contribute, and his goal was well taken today

BUT - on today's showing

He is painfully slow and anyone with even average pace can turn him too easily!

I thought the centre of our midfield was poor today, until the closing stages when Mroiwec came on.

Eggert had a poor game but he hasn't played there for a while. He deserves a run to make it his.

Stevenson was anonymous but finished well. I like him but I think he has a bit to go until he can impose himself on a game.

The problem was that our defense and midfield lacked composure until the last ten minutes. Ball was relentlessly given away and the defense often by-passed the midfield.

I think having Rudi in there would give us some composure, and he is probably one of our best passers.

I think this might well be the set up that makes the most of our squad.

This is the main area were I have a problem with HEARTS.

Wide players we are fine....Temps, Suso, Driver and possibly Skacel we are well covered

We have an abundance to choose from for the centre mid area but don't have a dominant player who can take the game by the scruff....

Obviously we need to choose from who we have in the squad....Jonsson & Stevo are the favoured choice but they need to improve big time from today

That will be the same Stevenson that lost his man for Caley's goal? A decent squad player no more. Took his goal well.

He also gave the ball away in the lead up to the goal.

Jonsson was one of our best players last season, he was given the armband yesterday so it is obvious JJ rates him but Mrowiec is showing that he has something.

Mrowiec and Skacel in centre midfield is worth a try.

One things for sure ... Stevenson can't play in 'the hole'. Nothing more than a squad player for me. Glad he got his goal today though, well taken.

I think we need to see him play a few games in his natural position before we can make any real assumptions about his usefulness to this team. As you say, playing 'in the hole' has not brought out the best in him.

He didn't have the best of games yesterday but I'd still say he made more of a contribution than Eggert Jonsson for instance.

I think now he's finally got the goal he was clearly so desperate for he might calm down a bit and relax.

awadooningorgie2

Would love to see wee Robinson given a decent run. Would have contributed far more than Stevenson has in the hole this season, no doubt.

still think stevenson will be an important player for us even though the fantasy jkb managers don't. :lol:

if those who have been underwhelmed by him so far are "fantasy managers" what exactly does that make you?

Our central midfield was not strong enough yesterday IMO. I like Jonsson and Stevenson but felt they didn't impose themselves enough on ICT's midfield.

If we're gonna play 4-5-1 then one of the 2 central midfielders should be protecting the defence.

Having Karapidis there is probably the reason we were so sucessfull in Csaba's first season.

JJ does not like having a player in this role and prefers two central midfielders but neither sitting.

I am not a fan of this.

When KK came on, we looked better but we still had huge gaps which ICT did exploit and were unlucky not to capitalise on.

If we are to play 4-4-2 we need the following:

A central defensive partnership properly organised .

A central midfielder who can break up opposition attacks (but not sitting in front of the defence as this could stop attacking flow)

A central midfielder who can create attack (or provide good play towards the wide men) but who can also get stuck in.

Wide players who understand their defensive commitment.

Jonsson and Stevenson did struggle to hold the midfield against ICT, but you've got to remember they started the game with Black helping them.

Suso and Templeton started the game knowing that they did not have to help as much in centre midfield.

As soon as Black went off - Suso and Templeton no longer became wingers but left and right midfield.

Thye continued to play as wingers though and so Jonsson and Stevenson found it more difficult.

Archived