Dundee Utd U19s v Hearts U19s

Footballfirst

Hearts and Utd fought out a goalless draw at St Andrews University this morning despite dominating possession. Both sides ended up with 10 men as the young ref lost the place, going card happy in the 2nd half and that wasn't the worst of his decisions.

Hearts made one change for last Saturday with Aaron Murdoch coming in at CB and Jamie McCormack replacing Billy King in midfield.

Hearts Line up

Fairley

Mullen Murdoch Hamilton McHattie

Morton McCormack Prychynenko Holt Smith

Ogleby

Hearts just didn't have their shooting boots on today as a series of half chances came and went with a mix of snatched or wayward shots, with Morton most guilty with at least half a dozen efforts going high wide and not so handsome.

Dave Smith and Jason Holt came closest in the first half, with the former knocking the ball just over after controlling the ball well on his chest. and Holt at least testing the keeper with a snap snop when under pressure from a defender.

Hearts had the wind behind them in the second half and shots started raining in from Morton, Ogleby and Smith, before the ref took centre stage midway through the half. He had already booked a couple of people for dissent earlier in the match before Colin Hamilton needlessly found himself on the wrong side of the ref. After awarded a free kick, he complained about the challenge by the Utd forward and was booked for dissent. Before the free kick was taken he was shown a second yellow again for saying something out of turn, leaving Hearts with 10 men for the last 20 mins. McCormack dropped back to CB leaving four across midfield.

The dismissal didn't change the flow of the game any as Hearts continued to press for the opening goal. With around 8 mins left the ref awarded Hearts a penalty after Morton was tripped at the edge of the box. However, the female assistant ref, decided otherwise and called the ref over, only for him to give a bounce ball at the edge of the box. I can?t work out the sequence of events that led to it being a bounce ball. It could have been any of a penalty, a free kick at the edge of the box, a goal kick or a corner, but not a bounce ball. Anyway, Morton was booked, not for a dive , but for protesting against the decision.

United then went down to 10 men themselves as their no 8 was booked for dissent for the 2nd time as the refereeing disintegrated into farcical proportions.

There was still time for Morton to finally get a shot on target, which the keeper did well to touch onto the post, but Ogleby and Holt were unable to force the rebound over the line.

Hearts will be disappointed to have dropped two points today, in a game that they dominated throughout. I can't recall Fairley making any save of note and was only tested by a rebound that came off his own defender.

Good performances for Hearts from Mullen and the centre three midfielders, but I thought that Hearts biggest threat today came from Dave Smith.

Hearts and Utd fought out a goalless draw at St Andrews University this morning despite dominating possession. Both sides ended up with 10 men as the young ref lost the place, going card happy in the 2nd half and that wasn't the worst of his decisions.

Hearts made one change for last Saturday with Aaron Murdoch coming in at CB and Jamie McCormack replacing Billy King in midfield.

Hearts Line up

Fairley

Mullen Murdoch Hamilton McHattie

Morton McCormack Prychynenko Holt Smith

Ogleby

Hearts just didn't have their shooting boots on today as a series of half chances came and went with a mix of snatched or wayward shots, with Morton most guilty with at least half a dozen efforts going high wide and not so handsome.

Dave Smith and Jason Holt came closest in the first half, with the former knocking the ball just over after controlling the ball well on his chest. and Holt at least testing the keeper with a snap snop when under pressure from a defender.

Hearts had the wind behind them in the second half and shots started raining in from Morton, Ogleby and Smith, before the ref took centre stage midway through the half. He had already booked a couple of people for dissent earlier in the match before Colin Hamilton needlessly found himself on the wrong side of the ref. After awarded a free kick, he complained about the challenge by the Utd forward and was booked for dissent. Before the free kick was taken he was shown a second yellow again for saying something out of turn, leaving Hearts with 10 men for the last 20 mins. McCormack dropped back to CB leaving four across midfield.

The dismissal didn't change the flow of the game any as Hearts continued to press for the opening goal. With around 8 mins left the ref awarded Hearts a penalty after Morton was tripped at the edge of the box. However, the female assistant ref, decided otherwise and called the ref over, only for him to give a bounce ball at the edge of the box. I can?t work out the sequence of events that led to it being a bounce ball. It could have been any of a penalty, a free kick at the edge of the box, a goal kick or a corner, but not a bounce ball. Anyway, Morton was booked, not for a dive , but for protesting against the decision.

United then went down to 10 men themselves as their no 8 was booked for dissent for the 2nd time as the refereeing disintegrated into farcical proportions.

There was still time for Morton to finally get a shot on target, which the keeper did well to touch onto the post, but Ogleby and Holt were unable to force the rebound over the line.

Hearts will be disappointed to have dropped two points today, in a game that they dominated throughout. I can't recall Fairley making any save of note and was only tested by a rebound that came off his own defender.

Good performances for Hearts from Mullen and the centre three midfielders, but I thought that Hearts biggest threat today came from Dave Smith.

Nice report. :thumbsup:

Who was the ref today?

Nice report. :thumbsup:

Who was the ref today?

Don't know him but he was being referred to as "Willie" by some onlookers and "you *!#@!!#** Willy" by the Hearts bench:teehee:.

Billy King in midfield

Hopefully this lad will break through into the first team soon. :whistling:

Don't know him but he was being referred to as "Willie" by some onlookers and "you *!#@!!#** Willy" by the Hearts bench:teehee:.

:thumbsup:

Hopefully this lad will break through into the first team soon. :whistling:

He's going to struggle to hold down in a place in the U19's imo.

He's a couple of years younger than a lot of the lads and it shows.

jamboinglasgow

Just watched the highlights.

WTF :blink:

I agree, the softest two yellow cards for both players to be sent off and I dont know how the linewoman did not think that was a penalty.

I agree, the softest two yellow cards for both players to be sent off and I dont know how the linewoman did not think that was a penalty.

You probably answered your own question there, JIG.

tdudp2.jpg

Nucky Thompson

So this is the standard of the referee we have to look forward to :rolleyes: No change from what we get now I suppose.

The highlights didn't show that Colin Hamilton's two yellows were withing 30 seconds of one another. Given he was that captain, I don't think that it was unreasonable for him to ask the ref about the challenge. However, he was daft to continue to talk when it was clear that the ref had already lost it with some of the earlier yellows.

A quote from one of the player's facebook page - "it is ****king criminal for woman to be any type off referee in football should be illegal. !!"

Anothe quote from the Dundee Utd website "The Tannadice teenagers had to fight tooth and nail to share the spoils with their Tynecastle counterparts at St Andrews on Saturday morning.

Indeed, both halves were a mirror image of each other with the bigger and stronger visitors taking the initiative early on, but United eventually coming into the game."

Yes, Jason Holt is huge! :woot:

Archived