What is Your Reason for not making it into Professional Football ?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Emdy else waiting for HN1F to post about his promising career? :D

I reckon hes probably camped outside raydale park with his boots waiting for a game :mw_rolleyes:

was not really good enough

had that slatters problem or whatever its called by the time i was 14

too lazy

Played for Broxburn, Currie (called Motherwell East at our age as they gave us strips, equipment and training gear) and Blackburn. Best player I remember playing against was David Robertson that plays for Dun Utd absolute nightmare to get the ball off and doesn't waste a pass- very smart player.

My Brother who posts on here probably would have made it though really good goalkeeper. Torn all the muscles from his knee to his hip taking a goal kick and didnt get treated for about 3 years. He now tries to teach americans how to play.

I believe Scottish football is ridden with clique`s and this is why we have fallen so far behind IMO... No, i`m not bitter or jealous, just miffed at the whole set-up in Scotland, it stinks. I firmly belive alot of good players slip through the net because clubs think if they haven`t made it by 18 they`ll never be good enough.

I think more players slip through the net because we don't have a culture that's about health, fitness, and playing as opposed to watching.

I played in a Scout League in Cumbernauld up to 1970. For some reason a lot of the best players in the town played scouts rather than schools at the time. I was a bit of a journeyman myself, but at under 14s my team beat Brian Whittaker's for the League. Brian was a good player, but it's no exagerration to say that between his team and mine there were at least half a dozen players that were better - and a couple of them a lot better - than a guy who went on to play at the top level in Scotland. That was in just two scout teams in just one year in just one town, but Brian was the only one who went on to make a career in football - all the others just disappeared out of the game in their teens. And sadly, I'm not sure it's much different today.

I'm the best player in the world, I just hide it VERY well. I tried out for a team once, but the manager said I was so good, it wouldn't be worth the other team turning up, so rejected me.

Used to play in goals until the 2003-2004 season when I started to go and watch Hearts regularly and with the age group playing on a Saturday I preferred to go to the Hearts games.

I was also fed-up with being a 'keeper even though I was half decent up until a point where I just couldn't be bothered playing any more.

Play 5's a couple of times a week whcih is absolutely class. Even though I am pretty pish footballer I have good fitness levels so can run around like a headless chicken for the hour.

Since my fitness has improved since going to the gym and playing 5's every week I would love to get back into playing properly. But would have to be a sunday as I ain't giving up the Hearts.

Im 26 I still day dream about putting the ball in the Hibees net. I just drifted away from football despite being pretty good after I left school. Going to private school with no footie team never helped but I always stayed pretty good.

Drink smokes junk food have taken there toll but im not giving up hope until im 31 because I figure if Steve Clarridge can make his debut at 30 then so can I!

Thinking about it more the people I hung out with started taking drugs and drinking in the park instead of playing football at ages 16-17. I resisted such temptations but still it stopped the dailly kick about.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
Every-body on here is a frustrated player or manager .

But what is your excuse for not making it as a professional player ?

The excuse you tell your kids or grandbairns ?

The only offer I had was from Hibs. Signed on instead. The rest, like their last cup win, is history.... ;)

alwaysthereinspirit

My coach at youth level played me out off position. Idiot, what he knew about football wasn't worth knowing. That and the fact I was crap.:P

S Forms with Livi, unfortunately I found booze n birds! :mad:

Och well! :)

Panilla has made a career out it, why couldn't you? ;)

Height ? Weight ? Hair colour ? or your Burd didnae like you playing footy ?

Injury , gammy knee is an old favourite .

I am blaming the fact I wasn't born in Kaunas ;)

Lack of height, unfortunately didn't lack weight, no hair to speak of.

Mind you, I know of three people to score direct from a corner at Tynecastle and I'm one of them (Gigalo-Aunt and Neil McCann are the other two). If I have grandbairns I'll show them the DVD and tell them I WAS a Hearts player;)

It was that Mitre ball. If that ball had never been invented Scotland would have been world cup winners

I chose to swim instead of playing football more seriously.

I had made a lot of friends there and didnt want to stop. Wish I'd done both.

Who knows what could have been when I was struck down with a career ending injury. Mind you I was 47 at the time

Apart from not being good just some hard luck stories

1) Donald Park picked me to go training with Meadowbank , but a couple of days later Terry Christie got the sack and Donald Park took over as caretaker manager. That was the end of that

2) Had trials to get in the Scotland Boys Club Team. Got through the East Stage and was scoring for fun. Played against the West at Irvine in the next stage. Played against the wind in the first half and never got a kick of the ball. The wind was so strong that our goalie took a by kick the ball went out to the 18 yard box and blew out for a corner. I got subbed in the 2nd half. That was the end of that

3) Trained with Dunfermline for a wee while but never made an impression

I stick to playing bowls now (which I managed to do for Scotland U25's afew years ago - does that count?)

chester copperpot

Played with Dunfermline's yoof team when I was younger.

Unfortunately was miles better at basketball than I was at footie.

I chose to swim instead of playing football more seriously.

Wish I'd done both.

If you'd been signed for Motherwell.....

...you could've done both this season :laugh:

Guest GhostHunter

Ended up at a private school, where "soccer" was frowned upon.

Played rugby instead.

Still a frustrated footballer....

Ended up at a private school, where "soccer" was frowned upon.

Played rugby instead.

Still a frustrated footballer....

That's a fairly 'gay' admission Smithers........:P

Walter Kidd

I was a better player in my head than in practice. My mates still talk of when I nutmegged the same defender twice in five seconds and started laughing at him. Shouldn't have did that I learned as he tore my ankle ligaments in the next challenge and gave me two deep gouges on my ankle just incase he missed.

Then burds, bevvy and Hearts got the better of me.

I was always brilliant at the egg and spoon and wheelbarrow races at school. I'd have got a game for Malofeev, wish he had been around then.

If you'd been signed for Motherwell.....

...you could've done both this season :laugh:

Exactly. Sods law eh?!

I also played Rugby for 6 years at school.

When I grew up you were expected to be able to trap and pass a ball with both feet, something many players can't do know.

I only played pub level and honestly think that a large number of players playing in the SPL now would not have even made it in the pub leagues.

So there you go - I was born 20 years too early

rossthejambo

i had the pace but unfortunately a lack of skill held me back. im sure drink would have held me back eventually though. scored a couple of quality goals for my primary school though.

had trials for an under 12's team once but because i need glasses they turned me away. that and they were playing me out of position. im a winger not a centre back :rolleyes:

i dont play too bad at 5's though

I was born at the wrong time of year and was the youngest in the school (academy) team. Was a skinny wee thing then so just didn't have the physical presence. By the time I had filled out a bit I had found the booze and the rest as they say, is history.

i had the pace but unfortunately a lack of skill held me back. im sure drink would have held me back eventually though. scored a couple of quality goals for my primary school though.

had trials for an under 12's team once but because i need glasses they turned me away. that and they were playing me out of position. im a winger not a centre back :rolleyes:

i dont play too bad at 5's though

You can shoot from anywhere in any direction and it goes in!:P

rossthejambo
You can shoot from anywhere in any direction and it goes in!:P

that is true. unfortunately there are never any scouts watching my immense finishing skills. to be fair that is the only thing i can do. beating a player is completely beyond me

I think more players slip through the net because we don't have a culture that's about health, fitness, and playing as opposed to watching.

I played in a Scout League in Cumbernauld up to 1970. For some reason a lot of the best players in the town played scouts rather than schools at the time. I was a bit of a journeyman myself, but at under 14s my team beat Brian Whittaker's for the League. Brian was a good player, but it's no exagerration to say that between his team and mine there were at least half a dozen players that were better - and a couple of them a lot better - than a guy who went on to play at the top level in Scotland. That was in just two scout teams in just one year in just one town, but Brian was the only one who went on to make a career in football - all the others just disappeared out of the game in their teens. And sadly, I'm not sure it's much different today.

Firmly agree. Dedication is a big problem in Scotland and has been for a long time, and this has contributed to the standard dropping too.

I often wonder why Scotland never really produces top top players anymore like it did in the past and partly the problem is that we did`nt move with the times.

Young players get to a certain age and think they`ve made it and the desire to keep improving disperses. Keeping young players away from the booze and birds until they are mature enough in Scotland seems to be a big problem for us to control.

I don`t believe we have never had many talented players at young ages in the last ten years, it seems when the time comes to make the jump it all falls apart.

John Findlay
Firmly agree. Dedication is a big problem in Scotland and has been for a long time, and this has contributed to the standard dropping too.

I often wonder why Scotland never really produces top top players anymore like it did in the past and partly the problem is that we did`nt move with the times.

Young players get to a certain age and think they`ve made it and the desire to keep improving disperses. Keeping young players away from the booze and birds until they are mature enough in Scotland seems to be a big problem for us to control.

I don`t believe we have never had many talented players at young ages in the last ten years, it seems when the time comes to make the jump it all falls apart.

It's not rocket science. They gat far to much far to quickly.

When I was growing up in Ferry Road Drive between the ages of 13 and 16, there were no cars in the street and we played football in the street everyday in the light and dark using the street lamps to see the ball with. We used the gates that were entrances to the stairs as goals and as anyone knows they were 3ft wide at the most. Trying to get a football in there from any angle and any distance honed your skills a great deal. The ball bouncing of concrete and kerbs at all heights and angles honed your control skills, it really did. All this is gone now as you cant move in Ferry Road Drive for cars parked on both sides of the street.

I cleaned all my kit myself boots the lot. It all gets done for them nowadays and the incentives they get offered to sign for a club are to put it plainly are obscene. I know this sounds like claptrap and sentimental tosh but if Hearts had asked me to sign for them I would have walked over hot coals to do it. I dont think there are many if any with that attitude for a team nowadays.

John

Gigolo-Aunt

When I was growing up in Ferry Road Drive between the ages of 13 and 16, there were no cars in the street and we played football in the street everyday in the light and dark using the street lamps to see the ball with. We used the gates that were entrances to the stairs as goals and as anyone knows they were 3ft wide at the most. Trying to get a football in there from any angle and any distance honed your skills a great deal. The ball bouncing of concrete and kerbs at all heights and angles honed your control skills, it really did. All this is gone now as you cant move in Ferry Road Drive for cars parked on both sides of the street.

John

My auld man was saying just that last week. He was also saying how it saddens him that when he goes past Saughton Park there are no games of football going on between lads using "Jumpers for goalposts" He said that when he was growing up there, you could hardly get an area of pitch to play on.

John Findlay
My auld man was saying just that last week. He was also saying how it saddens him that when he goes past Saughton Park there are no games of football going on between lads using "Jumpers for goalposts" He said that when he was growing up there, you could hardly get an area of pitch to play on.

That was another thing Sunday afternoons would be at least 11 a side in St Davids school. You would have both teams with ages of 12yrs to 22yrs and as a teenager you learnt to take the knocks from the adults and also learn how to avoid them and give them back. Like modern society football is becoming to sanatised and SOFT.

John

I cleaned all my kit myself boots the lot. It all gets done for them nowadays and the incentives they get offered to sign for a club are to put it plainly are obscene. I know this sounds like claptrap and sentimental tosh but if Hearts had asked me to sign for them I would have walked over hot coals to do it. I dont think there are many if any with that attitude for a team nowadays.

John

Thanks for making that clear.:cool: John, i was lucky enough to be part of one of the last generations who was brought up playing "street" football.

We played football from 10 in the morning to 10 at night during the holidays and weekends(and i still didn`t make it!). When i used to go back to my Mum and Dad`s house to visit, after i was married, the grass had grown in the normally bare parts of the goalmouths and most of the time when i visited there wasn`t even many kids playing outside.

In my day the place was bustling with kids playing football or playing other games. It is sad.

The Jambo Janny

My reason --- In the sixtys naebody offered me ?50,000 a week,a top of the range Porche and the pick of the spice girls ,so I said stuff it I want to be a sparky!!! besides I wisnae awfy good -much like some players these days!!

I had a cripping lack of talent injury at a crucial stage in my development, which I never really recovered from. Another good prospect lost. :(

The white middle class establishment that it the Scottish Football Association wasn't ready for female professional footballers.

Still isn't.

I played for Hibs a few times when I was younger then got chucked....

Trained with Cowdenbeath to lol....

Was a bit pants to be honest and no I play no football what so ever...

Because I was shet.

Archived