What is Your Reason for not making it into Professional Football ?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Every-body on here is a frustrated player or manager .

But what is your excuse for not making it as a professional player ?

Height ? Weight ? Hair colour ? or your Burd didnae like you playing footy ?

Injury , gammy knee is an old favourite .

The excuse you tell your kids or grandbairns ?

Csaba's Broon Shoes

I was just a wee bit unlucky , a tricky , jinky , tanner ba skills type of player

but had ginger hair .

The school team used to play with orange net balls , WTF was that all about ?

Was there a pig leather shortage in the 80s

I was compared to Gazza when i was younger.......

Compared to Gazza he was a lightweight bevvy merchant!!!:beer::beer::beer:

hearts_crazy

I was just really crap at football. I, like most of the boys of my age would play football 24/7, it didn't make me any better though. I will still join in a game anytime I love playing, not that good although I can score a goal or two in any given game. I even get my daughters to kick a ball around the park with me from time to time.

We doidn't even need a football, any spherical object would do, I played many a game with a tennis ball. If anyone here went to Trinity Primary in the 70s you will remember playing football with balls made of old socks because we weren't allowed footballs in the playground, I think it was to stop windows getting broken. Ludicrous when you think about it as a big wet bundle of socks would be much more likely to break a window than a football.

loveofthegame

I was good, still like to think i am quite good...(excuse me while i try to get my head through the door).

Played for Alloa at 14s then was signed by and played for Dunfermline (when they were a Prem club) at under 14s through until 16s under Bert Paton and JR . I then did my medial ligaments in my left knee and altho i didnt rupture the cruciate i did it some damage- all in a tackle which pushed my knee back the wrong way.

Was out 10 months with the knee then for another 6 months on and off picking up niggly injuries. Also discovered the lures of alcohol and birds in that time. Never was the same again and lost a yard of pace. Ach well....

hearts_crazy
I was good, still like to think i am quite good...(excuse me while i try to get my head through the door).

Played for Alloa at 14s then was signed by and played for Dunfermline (when they were a Prem club) at under 14s through until 16s under Bert Paton and JR . I then did my medial ligaments in my left knee and altho i didnt rupture the cruciate i did it some damage- all in a tackle which pushed my knee back the wrong way.

Was out 10 months with the knee then for another 6 months on and off picking up niggly injuries. Also discovered the lures of alcohol and birds in that time. Never was the same again and lost a yard of pace. Ach well....

Are you Mauricio Pinilla?

Gillsland jack

Banged in to an old mate of mine.....we used to play for a team based out of the Tynecastle arms on a Sunday morning....quick as a flash he said " the greatest player I ever seen.... was the one YOU thought you were".....said it all really...

Bindy Badgy

I was crap at football.

I was in the British under 20s judo team though:o I wasn't good enough to make a career out of it but I was half decent.

sauchiejambo

Utter lack of skill and ability plus an almost fanatical devotion to beer ,fags and birds didny help much but still kicked lumps out of a few flair players when called on ......

No talent, poor fitness. Can play a decent 5's games but it's down to sheer work rate and determination more than anything else.

Walter Bishop

I was with Hearts from 11 - 13 , Robbie Horn was there at the time and Gordon Ross(Rugby player) we trained at saughton, Got picked up by Falkirk at 15 and was there for 2 years under John Blackley (JJ was Falkirk gaffer at the time) Then broke my Ankle at 17, came back and 2 games later ruptured my anterior cruciate ligament and needed 2 cartilage operations!!:( That ended it for me, played juniors and amateur football but lost interest eventually!!

Pat Stanton took over as Dunfermline manager. Having kept Eamon Bannon out of the Edinburgh under 18 select for 1 game and had the Dunfermline scout ask for my phne number Stanton took over and nothing more was mentioned. that and I was not actually that good on a consistent basis. Magic every once in a while though.

Denny Crane

Pizzas, pudding suppers, Italian ice-cream and the final nail in the coffin.......the pub, all contributed to my not making it (well, that's what I tell myself anyway......)

Plus as a keeper, I had one very obvious weakness regarding low shots to my left.

A bit miffed I was never spotted to do some sort of job within rugby. I was a right bone-cruncher as an openside. Joost van der Westhuizen would have got a slap had he tried his carry on with me............(ahem, ahem and double ahem.. cough...splutter)

Captain Canada

A series of dislocated shoulder injuries combined with my infamous 9 iron right foot which was legendary at school. I could kick the ball higher than anyone else by way of arching my lanky frame into a well honed lean back position, hoof and watch it fly, an invaluable time wasting tactic as the ball usually stayed in the air for a good twenty seconds or so at a time!

Was quite good but way too slow. I also decided I was more interested in girls when I was 16/17.

Started again when out of the forces, and played at one level or another till retiring permanently after playin:beer for two years in Canada. Never had any regrets, knew the level of my abilities and was happy playing at that level. Always knew watching the guys that did make it that they were at a different level and ability.:beer:

Castle Magyar

I was the white man's 'Tony the Plough' - well you try spriniting with such a heavy weight, ruderless so I was.

:)

Commander Harris
No talent, poor fitness. Can play a decent 5's games but it's down to sheer work rate and determination more than anything else.

I'm the opposite, terrible at 5s because although I'm fairly skillful I'm unfit and lazy :)

gowestjambo

I'm not really that good, but my manager and club owner say I should play most weeks!

I try to get the crowd to like me but they boo me a lot, I have no idea why that should be. Quite honestly its beginning to get me down!

I have asked to be transferred to a team at my level, but they bloody well insist on playing me! I think I will just have to pretend to be injured like most of my team mates, that way I will benefit the team from not playing!

Signed Miko

ps

(I know I scored today, but it was going past until a deflection took it in)

Ron Atkinsons Microphone

I played for St Johnstone inititiave as a 'keeper when I was younger, done my cruciate ligament when I was 12 and that was me. :(

Ray Winstone

Extremely bad fitness and then headed to a school where I was encouraged to play rugby before discovering a talent for Hockey.

Managed to represent East District and now play at National Level 3 (which would be like playing in the 2nd Division football wise)

Geoff Kilpatrick

I was better at cricket, which is not exactly a well-played sport in Northern Ireland!

i got caught having a 3sum with the managers wife and daughter.curtains after that for me:107years:

Ryan Gosling

(I know I scored today, but it was going past until a deflection took it in)

i know you're trying to be funny, but what?

flogelisgod

ended up going to an egg chasers school in secondary (same year as Gordon Ross the rugby player funnily enough)

I wasnttoo shabby a goalkeeper actually..

PsychocAndy

When your 6ft at 13 and can get served in the gunner I found that more enjoyable that kicking people and taking the ball out of defence. I wanted to be a forward and didnae like being a centre half. Also being 6ft at 13 and getting served in pubs made me more attractive to females and fitba' was never going to top that.

:107years:

WeeWillyWinky

Haven't bothered reading the other posts - far too drunk!!

Honestly feel that i was a product of the poor scottish football system. Could of been a contender but wasn't a centre half and couldnt head a ball - game over as far as my school was concerned!

Ok i'm drunk and im crap but honestly think im great! my mates tell me different ( i can never spell different. did i get it right?)

Boaby Ewing

Scottish football just wasn't ready for my jinky skills.

As a side note, I got a text from my 'football manager' of the Saturday team I (very) occasionally turn out for saying we'd secured the league today.

I'd like to thank God for the talent he's blessed me with. I think I played in four of our fourteen games we had to play this season. My first league winner's medal in football and I spent the afternoon watching the rugby due to a suspect hamstring. Get in!

Big ChipButty

2 left feet and the fact that I liked to eat and drink alot, other than that, I'm sure I would have made it!!!

Amoruso Lets it Run ...

Are you Robbie Neilson ??

The Comedian

I played for Celtic during the Wim Jansen years, Eric Black used to train us. I was a attacking midfielder much like Colin Cameron.

I used to leave school early to go and train with the club gear on which was cool for a young laddie. Scored against Arbroath & Hibs :107years:

I found the cliques that existed a issue and the fact that I never wanted to make it, I just played because I enjoyed It, I look back now and wish I was tougher and more determined.

Gigolo-Aunt

Trained with a couple of senior clubs (Meadowbank and Dunfermline), but the if Im being honest, a few things never helped..

Was not brave enough at times

Never taken advise onboad enough

The taste of beer awoke the beer monster

Dont play at all any more, but if a ball is put at my feet - can usually do something with it. Pace has gone, but you dont need to be fast to beat a man. You dont loose the quick feet.

My agent is working on a Bosman rule move abroad for me...:mw_rolleyes:

It`s easy to say "because we weren`t good enough", but for the sake of the thread here`s my tuppence worth.

I believe Scottish football is ridden with clique`s and this is why we have fallen so far behind IMO. Sorry, that`s for another day............

Anyway, like many i played youth football, had a spell at seniors then back to amateurs. End of the day, i think it can be about luck aswell. I played against many guys and beside many who were cracking players but then i scratched my head when i heard of other guys who got trials with clubs.

One example was a guy who played with Lochend back in the early 90`s at Under 21 level. I played with Merchi at the time and believe me, he wasn`t anything special. Next thing, he`s training with Hearts and went missing for a few months from under21`s.

Apparently got the trial because his Dad had connections. Near the end of the season he was bombed out and back playing 21`s.

No, i`m not bitter or jealous, just miffed at the whole set-up in Scotland, it stinks. I firmly belive alot of good players slip through the net because clubs think if they haven`t made it by 18 they`ll never be good enough.

I remember playing Hibs under18`s in a pre-season friendly. We were under 21`s but most of us had just made the jump so we were still about 18 ourselves.

We beat them 3-1 and a certain Alex Miller was so incensed during the game that he gave a shout " get into these hasbeens!" at his team.

That`s a professional (or supposed) person for you.

Clerry Jambo
It`s easy to say "because we weren`t good enough", but for the sake of the thread here`s my tuppence worth.

I believe Scottish football is ridden with clique`s and this is why we have fallen so far behind IMO. Sorry, that`s for another day............

Anyway, like many i played youth football, had a spell at seniors then back to amateurs. End of the day, i think it can be about luck aswell. I played against many guys and beside many who were cracking players but then i scratched my head when i heard of other guys who got trials with clubs.

One example was a guy who played with Lochend back in the early 90`s at Under 21 level. I played with Merchi at the time and believe me, he wasn`t anything special. Next thing, he`s training with Hearts and went missing for a few months from under21`s.

Apparently got the trial because his Dad had connections. Near the end of the season he was bombed out and back playing 21`s.

No, i`m not bitter or jealous, just miffed at the whole set-up in Scotland, it stinks. I firmly belive alot of good players slip through the net because clubs think if they haven`t made it by 18 they`ll never be good enough.

I remember playing Hibs under18`s in a pre-season friendly. We were under 21`s but most of us had just made the jump so we were still about 18 ourselves.

We beat them 3-1 and a certain Alex Miller was so incensed during the game that he gave a shout " get into these hasbeens!" at his team.

That`s a professional (or supposed) person for you.

hahahahahaha, debut you couldnae lace yir big bruvs Boots:mw_rolleyes:

Buffalo Bill
Trained with a couple of senior clubs (Meadowbank and Dunfermline), but the if Im being honest, a few things never helped..

Was not brave enough at times

Never taken advise onboad enough

The taste of beer awoke the beer monster

Dont play at all any more, but if a ball is put at my feet - can usually do something with it. Pace has gone, but you dont need to be fast to beat a man. You dont loose the quick feet.

My agent is working on a Bosman rule move abroad for me...:mw_rolleyes:

Not brave, like beer and you didn't take advice?

If you were Lithuanian, you'd probably start every game or Hearts.

Buffalo Bill

Gigolo-Aunt
Not brave, like beer and you didn't take advice?

If you were Lithuanian, you'd probably start every game or Hearts.

Buffalo Bill

:biggrin:

Geez the baw!

I do like kickback at times, often for the strident statements in which it indulges and "Every-body on here is a frustrated player or manager ." is a more harmless and affectionate example than most. I never had that much talent, but at Boghall Aces, Blackburn and Broxburn I just never paid enough attention and didn?t make enough effort. I started out when I was only 10 and it was just a carry on. We were a good team and my school team was also a good team, with one professional player (Keigan Parker) emerging rom our ranks. I am not a bad goalie, not Craig Gordon but maybe Craig Nelson standard. On the few occasions that I have played football as an adult, I have found it rather boring and much prefer watching and reading about it than participating.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I agree with people who say it's more about who you know than how much ability you have.

I am a decent enough player but play more for the enjoyment of it than taking it too seriously.

Can't beat a good game of fives with the lads.

John Findlay

I was given a trial by St Mirren aged 14.

During the game a situation arose where I was the last defender and the opposing striker got round me at stuck the ball in the pokey.

I was told by the then St Mirren manager I was not a winner as I had not whipped the legs from the striker, hence preventing him a goalscoring opportunity. I have never played my football that way and told the St Mirren manager this. Alex Ferguson was not amused.

According to my father when I was 15 Man Utd were looking at me as a goalkeeper but, my lack of height put paid to that. I am only 5ft 7.

John

Archived