Penicuik

Jambo Maroon

A friend asked me if Penicuik was a nice town, (I'm abroad at the moment), he said he had to visit familly there when he's in the UK. Anyone ?

The Future's Maroon

Due my ex coming from there I spent a lot of time through there....I liked it, but that was at a nice bit - the pubs at the weekend are almost guaranteed a fight of some kind kicking off (in the town centre) - there are a few other pubs which are better, mainly the ones which concentrate on food. Not much to see or doo - but it is only a 15/20min drive to Edinburgh anyway.

A friend asked me if Penicuik was a nice town, (I'm abroad at the moment), he said he had to visit familly there when he's in the UK. Anyone ?

I'm lucky enough not to live there, no.

:thumbsup:

I live in Penicuik. Can count on one hand the number of times I have frequented the pubs never really felt the need when it's hardly a long way into Edinburgh. If he's just visiting family though, it's not so bad. 37 or 47 bus straight into Edinburgh

I have family and the bird in Peniculk. It's nice enough. Fresh air and enough pubs to keep you going. The countryside around Peniculk is amazing and most of my summer nights has been spent finding a nice spot in the sun for a few brewski's.

It's certainly not Fightsville in my experience. The squaddies are banned from the town and stay out the way at Glencoarse these days. Certainly no worse than grassmarket etc. Unless fifteen year old with spotty coupons and slutty little skirts cause you problems.

Anyway I really like it and could quite happily live there.

lived there for ten years until 2 years ago - family and most of my best mates still do.

It's a great wee place, don't agree completely about the fighting, but it does happen every now and again. It's the wee ******s that start it though.

Best places to stay (IMO) are either the Cornbank (parents live there), Eskhill, Valleyfield, or along the top edge of Ruillion Road.

Windsor Drive / Ladywood area is probably place to avoid.

graeme

lived there for ten years until 2 years ago - family and most of my best mates still do.

It's a great wee place, don't agree completely about the fighting, but it does happen every now and again. It's the wee ******s that start it though.

Best places to stay (IMO) are either the Cornbank (parents live there), Eskhill, Valleyfield, or along the top edge of Ruillion Road.

Windsor Drive / Ladywood area is probably place to avoid.

graeme

What do you mean probably......?i ve lived in ladywood for 5 years and never a peep...the places you mention at the start are ok if you fancy a massive mortgage in other words spam valley

What do you mean probably......?i ve lived in ladywood for 5 years and never a peep...the places you mention at the start are ok if you fancy a massive mortgage in other words spam valley

it was meant in the way that the only fights ive been involved with in Penicuik were down that end, and it's also where a lot of the wuckfits in penicuik happen to stay...

And less of the spam valley, i don't imagine the mortgages down your way are massively cheap either. :P

It was fine until Deek moved there :whistling:

:D

Hmmm,,,,I am just about to get the bus into Edinburgh for a drink. Thats how bad Penicuik is!!!

:ermm:

it was meant in the way that the only fights ive been involved with in Penicuik were down that end, and it's also where a lot of the wuckfits in penicuik happen to stay...

And less of the spam valley, i don't imagine the mortgages down your way are massively cheap either. :P

well why did you go to those areas to get involved in the fights ?you sound like a right heedthebaw,no the mortgages are not the cheapest either but you seem to be contradicting yourself by saying these areas are bad.... (bad when you came to have fights) <_< ......methinks you be da wuckfit bigboy :ermm:

I spent most of my teen years living in Penicuik and still spend a fair bit of time down there. There are a lot worse places to live and no scheme too bad to live in. The worst thing about Penicuik is it looks so dull, not any money into making the place look pretty. Pubs are not bad well the crown and royal the best. Good place to live if working in Edinburgh and there is night buses back if you want a night out in Edinburgh.

Snow does seem to lie there until approx July though :)

Penicuik is ok. Its nothing special, its close to edinburgh which has everything so penicuik tends not to have to much. The pubs are ok, its not fight central as some would have you beleive.

Got a good jambo support tho!

:ermm:

well why did you go to those areas to get involved in the fights ?you sound like a right heedthebaw,no the mortgages are not the cheapest either but you seem to be contradicting yourself by saying these areas are bad.... (bad when you came to have fights) <_< ......methinks you be da wuckfit bigboy :ermm:

wow, is that some kind of ghetto slang i've missed somewhere along the line? Or are you a Beeslack kid? That would explain a lot. Gimme a high 6. For what it's worth three of my best mates live in the Windsor Road / Eastfield area.

I didn't say I had went to get involved in the fights - we actually got jumped for no apparent reason - by people that don't actually live in penicuik anymore admittedly, but my point stands that its the only place in Penicuik where i've been involved in a fight.

wow, is that some kind of ghetto slang i've missed somewhere along the line? Or are you a Beeslack kid? That would explain a lot. Gimme a high 6. For what it's worth three of my best mates live in the Windsor Road / Eastfield area.

I didn't say I had went to get involved in the fights - we actually got jumped for no apparent reason - by people that don't actually live in penicuik anymore admittedly, but my point stands that its the only place in Penicuik where i've been involved in a fight.

I frequent Windsor square on a regular basis and never seen any trouble, but I went from living in Eskhill to Glaskhill as a teenager and that was a bit of a culture shock at 1st but was fine when got to know people.

I frequent Windsor square on a regular basis and never seen any trouble, but I went from living in Eskhill to Glaskhill as a teenager and that was a bit of a culture shock at 1st but was fine when got to know people.

Best mates mum and dad stay in there. It wasn't really the square, but more down the back past the old leisure centre. It was a few years ago mind!

Craig Gordons Gloves

It's funny reading all the opinions on Penicuik, i lived there as a bairn until the age of 11 (nearly 25 years ago now!)and i have nothing but fond memories of the place. Playing football in the park opposite the high school, roaming the woods behind mauricewood (where i lived), BB's down the South Church hall on a Friday. It seemed like such a huge place when i was wee. Going walks up Carnethy or down Sir John's estate was always fun. Obviously 10 year olds aren't running around trying to get their end away/get pished/have a fight.

It's funny reading all the opinions on Penicuik, i lived there as a bairn until the age of 11 (nearly 25 years ago now!)and i have nothing but fond memories of the place. Playing football in the park opposite the high school, roaming the woods behind mauricewood (where i lived), BB's down the South Church hall on a Friday. It seemed like such a huge place when i was wee. Going walks up Carnethy or down Sir John's estate was always fun. Obviously 10 year olds aren't running around trying to get their end away/get pished/have a fight.

Hmm round about the time I was a BB leader for the junior section :)

Craig Gordons Gloves

Hmm round about the time I was a BB leader for the junior section :)

No!! George Neil was the 'Captain' and Jim Slater/Colin Pryde ran the company section?

No!! George Neil was the 'Captain' and Jim Slater/Colin Pryde ran the company section?

Yip :) Always got my make up supplies from George (which actually sounds way more dodgy than it was!) Andrew Carmichael and another girl called Linda were there when I was.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Is that the same guy whose brother ran Eskmills Boys club?

I'm not sure, i don't think so. Jim was my neighbour growing up in Deanburn when i was very wee. Unfortunately both he and his daughters are all hibbies, as was Colin Pryde. I'm amazed i made it out the BB's.

JamboInSouthsea

Grew up in Cuikenburn from 75 then Glencorse after that til left the high school.

Basically, Penicuik is a commuter town so don't expect too much. Having said that I reckon it's a great place to bring up a family up as loads of space and the schools' are/were good too, was at Mauricewood Primary then PHS but can't comment on Beeslack.

JamboInSouthsea

Oh yeah and Andy Goram used to play for the cricket side...if that sways anybody??

Oh yeah, again, the only bother that i can remember growing up there involved hobos.

I'm from the rooky cooky. Some nice areas. Some not so nice. The crown and railway tavern pubs are ok and pagger free (or they used to be). Same for navaar and cragiebield though rarely drank at these places. Mill and cuiken inn were rougher. Fishers tryst was a problem with squadies till they were banned. Folks still live on rullion road.

I didn't say I had went to get involved in the fights - we actually got jumped for no apparent reason

I also know people who got attacked for no reason in penicuik but that was like 10 years ago whilst at school.

It was outside the shop which used to be along from the tower chippy (towards tesco)

I have family there though and over the past 27 years of visiting penicuik, i've not personally witnessed anything bad happening in the area.

Archived