Tremendous Bands That "Sold Out"

Moriarty

14197_Stock200.JPG

Saw this last week. :blink:

I don't know what's more sad, the fact they're being used to sell perfume, or the fact people will buy it because of their name.

:unsure:

rock-star-slash-sells-guitar-hero-iii-to-the-first-fans-in-line-at-the-launch-party-for-guitar-hero-iii-legends-of-rock-prese-jcW6Hg.jpg

Just slash mind. Axl, for all his thousands of faults, at least is not a sell out.

Axl's response

I think that article shows that Axl is only pissed off that they didn't go to him, but lets be honest here - this is a game about guitar players not vocalists!

muse_-_the_resistance-blue-mc.jpg

This cack sounds like fecking Queen :yucky:

:lol:

What a load of pesh! Seems to me that this is a "we hate it when our pet bands find success" type thread... what utter nonsense.

:lol:

What a load of pesh! Seems to me that this is a "we hate it when our pet bands find success" type thread... what utter nonsense.

Why is it a load of pish? The Resistance is full of bland, cheesey songs that appeal to the masses and is totally inferior to all of their previous albums.

Stero MC's

after saying they would not let any of their songs be used for advertising

you can guess the rest but the thread title says it all.

Why is it a load of pish? The Resistance is full of bland, cheesey songs that appeal to the masses and is totally inferior to all of their previous albums.

Oh aye - right enough so it is!! Cr@p album compared to their previous!!! LOL!! :whistling::lol: But really, i'm not talking about the merits or lack there of, of 'The Resistance'... that's beside the point.

Really, how many times have I heard this nonsense about bands 'selling out'?!! The only 'terrible' thing they've done is try and be more successful. Bad people.

Anyway. Muse - Sold out?! Deary me...

Kings Of Leon are the number one shout on this.

They're quoted as saying they changed their sound to something they didn't like as much to try and make more money. First two albums are great, the third is questionable and the latest was horrific. Shameful selling out because it was engineered so much.

They're quoted as saying they changed their sound to something they didn't like as much to try and make more money. First two albums are great, the third is questionable and the latest was horrific. Shameful selling out because it was engineered so much.

I really hope they go back to the older sound for the next album but I can't see it. Youth & Young Manhood is one of the best albums of the last 10 years. Absolutely brilliant. :thumbsup:

Only By The Night was at best average and at worst utter pish. :rolleyes:

Dean Winchester

Well they certainly looked like the had sold out Wembley when I was down on Friday... :whistling:

Explain what makes Tom Morello a sell out please.

Same as what apparently makes Slash a sell out. He's involved in the making of a computer game.

Same as what apparently makes Slash a sell out. He's involved in the making of a computer game.

I agree then, he is a sell out. :down:

The Who.

Grew their hair :yucky:

Slash is happy to sell his persona of being rock'n'roll for a few bucks that he doesnt need in order to promote something utterly un-rock'n'roll. Its pretty much the definition of being a sell-out.

Sure, i could argue that his music over the last 15 years shows all the creative growth of a chain smoking, stunted elf with a severe case of dwarfism all so that he can play music to a very safe audience, but that would be more a case of opinion. Whats not up for debate is that slash's selling of his image to anyone for a buck is beaten only by the likes of KISS.

I came onto the thread to post Kings of Leon as well. Their earlier stuff was great and their sound was actually different from a lot of bands.

Oh aye - right enough so it is!! Cr@p album compared to their previous!!! LOL!! :whistling::lol: But really, i'm not talking about the merits or lack there of, of 'The Resistance'... that's beside the point.

Really, how many times have I heard this nonsense about bands 'selling out'?!! The only 'terrible' thing they've done is try and be more successful. Bad people.

Hilarious. :ermm:

I'm not saying they 'sold out'. I never said anyone sold out.

I was asking why that suggestion was apparently so hilarious compared to the rest of the ones on this thread.

Slash is happy to sell his persona of being rock'n'roll for a few bucks that he doesnt need in order to promote something utterly un-rock'n'roll. Its pretty much the definition of being a sell-out.

Sure, i could argue that his music over the last 15 years shows all the creative growth of a chain smoking, stunted elf with a severe case of dwarfism all so that he can play music to a very safe audience, but that would be more a case of opinion. Whats not up for debate is that slash's selling of his image to anyone for a buck is beaten only by the likes of KISS.

TBH my suggestion was ever so slightly tongue in cheek. I'm fairly sure TM would be quite far down the sell-out list. Just pointing out that a guy who was involved in such an "anti-system" band (who I adore ftr) is also in the exact game that Slash was being chastised for appearing/being involved in.

TBH my suggestion was ever so slightly tongue in cheek. I'm fairly sure TM would be quite far down the sell-out list. Just pointing out that a guy who was involved in such an "anti-system" band (who I adore ftr) is also in the exact game that Slash was being chastised for appearing/being involved in.

Sorry i missed that. Humour by-pass on my part.

Morello being involved with guitar hero was a bit of a sickener considering the lofty position he's known to take; that said i'm ignorant of the situation regarding TM, i'm sure he'll have donated his proceeds to a worthy cause or something so long as it makes me come across as very small minded.

That said, considering how highly i think of slash i'm probably being overly critical of him too but there's something very whorish about the way he bottles rock'n'roll and sells it off so regularly. Looking at some of the shite he teamed up with on his solo album is painful.

Agreed 100% the new album reeks of 'U2 style' stadium horribleness...

Paul McCartney on X-Factor

McCartney sold out 48 years previous.

But then isn't any act a sell-out if they promote their image and recorded material to the public?

Hilarious. :ermm:

I'm not saying they 'sold out'. I never said anyone sold out.

I was asking why that suggestion was apparently so hilarious compared to the rest of the ones on this thread.

Sorry, what was the point of the thread again? I assumed you'd put Muse in there, because you'd thought they'd sold out... not because 'The Resistance' was a good/bad/indifferent album!

But ok, fair enough - that's your opinion re that album.

To say that many of the others on here though have sold out though is hilarious and smacks of folk taking the hump because 'the masses' have discovered their pet band!!!

McCartney sold out 48 years previous.

But then isn't any act a sell-out if they promote their image and recorded material to the public?

As a huge Beatles fan i don,t understand this comment. :unsure:

Loving how people with no talent can slag off people with talent.

Ever had a go at a hearts player for not being good enough Geoff? Yeah I thought so.

lolololz - what a terrible post. Who pashed in your cheerios?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Being serious for a moment, what constitutes a sell out and why get so pious about it? I refuse to take musicians and anything they say or do seriously and if I enjoy the actual music, I'll listen to it.

i usually like your posts geoff but thats one of the stupidest things i've read on this site.

Geoff Kilpatrick

i usually like your posts geoff but thats one of the stupidest things i've read on this site.

Fair enough. I used my phone and should have used emoticons. Apologies.

Being serious for a moment, what constitutes a sell out and why get so pious about it? I refuse to take musicians and anything they say or do seriously and if I enjoy the actual music, I'll listen to it.

It's really about context. If you're selling a image, or principles like most bands do to an extent, especially "alternative" bands, and then abandon this for the sake of a few bucks then it cheapens the art.

Im not really bothered about musicians who endorse things (unless they have been against it in the past). Im more annoyed by bands who change their sound to something they don't even like to be successful.

Archived