Wireless Connection Help

neave

Afternoon folks. Got a day off work today so installed the new router that's been gathering dust in the cupboard. Now, my ancient PC doesn't do wireless without a network card, so I've connected it with the wires and it's, clearly, working fine.

My question, though, is this. Can I set up a wireless network for the rest of the house from the new router, but still keep my wired connection at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Afternoon folks. Got a day off work today so installed the new router that's been gathering dust in the cupboard. Now, my ancient PC doesn't do wireless without a network card, so I've connected it with the wires and it's, clearly, working fine.

My question, though, is this. Can I set up a wireless network for the rest of the house from the new router, but still keep my wired connection at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

I'm no expert by any means but I don't see why you would't be able to do that.

You could always get a USB port to plug into your old PC and then everything would be wireless should your first idea fail :thumbsup:

Commander Harris

yes.

i imagine the wireless is on by default so just use the connection info provided with the router to connect from a wireless device. It doesn't matter if your PC is plugged in directly to the router - the wireless will still be available.

Will work fine, thats the setup i have. Main PC is wired the rest are wireless.

Just make sure you secure the wireless or some scallywag will be piggy-backing before you know it :thumbsup:

Will work fine, thats the setup i have. Main PC is wired the rest are wireless.

Just make sure you secure the wireless or some scallywag will be piggy-backing before you know it :thumbsup:

Totally agree with the security part, if you know how to password protect your wireless then I strongly recommend you do that first.

Its actually pretty easy to do :)

Yep, I've got a set up like that.

Archived