William Hague / "we Occasionally Shared Hotel Rooms" (Merged Threads)

Deek

Anything wrong with that. :whistling:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11156963

William Hague's special adviser has resigned over "untrue and malicious" allegations made against him, the Foreign Secretary has said.

Mr Hague said suggestions Christopher Myers' appointment was due to an improper relationship between them were "utterly false".

In a statement, he also denied his marriage to wife Ffion was in trouble.Mr Myers, 25, was employed by Mr Hague during the election campaign as a constituency aide and after the election worked for the foreign secretary as a policy adviser.

Mr Hague admitted to "occasionally" sharing hotel rooms with Mr Myers during the election.

But he added: "Neither of us would have done so if we had thought that it in any way meant or implied something else.

"In hindsight I should have given greater consideration to what might have been made of that, but this is in itself no justification for allegations of this kind, which are untrue and deeply distressing to me, to Ffion and to Christopher."

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well well well... :whistling:

Not that I give a monkeys what people get up to behind closed doors and in their own time.

Unless they're members of the Conservative party that is :thumbsup:

Guest John Meurig Thomas

I quite like Hague tbh. Couldn't care less if he was a gayer or not, but that goes for anyone really. Quite sad that his assistant had to resign over it.

Why would 2 rich guys feel the need to share a room?

Each to their own though.

I'm very rich. Many of my mates are rich, albeit not as rich as me. We always share hotel rooms on Hearts Yooro trips and nobody has ever accused us of homosexuality.

I'm very rich. Many of my mates are rich, albeit not as rich as me. We always share hotel rooms on Hearts Yooro trips and nobody has ever accused us of homosexuality.

Gay post IMO. :whistling:

Yeah but in your scenario its mates going to the football and having a wee drink or 10. They are 2 businessmen sharing. I think there's a difference.

Still there's probably nothing in it.

I'd want a room on my own anyway. Nothing worse than other people snoring.

The only admirable aspect of the Conservative and Unionist Party is their ability to attract recruits outwith nepotism. Since they all seem to be "deniably" gay, they cannot give jobs to their offspring (a trick of the other main Unionists). They must be good at grooming future members from their friends who are part of hard working "normal" families.

alwaysthereinspirit

Why would 2 rich guys feel the need to share a room?

Each to their own though.

Recession? Just throwing it out there.

Extremely personal statement by Hague, if it turns out he's lying about the relationship with the young man then using infertility and miscarriages to deflect the pressure is utterly inexcusable.

Extremely personal statement by Hague, if it turns out he's lying about the relationship with the young man then using infertility and miscarriages to deflect the pressure is utterly inexcusable.

Indeed CJ.

That statement decoded

"[Christopher Myers had] demonstrated commitment and political talent" over the past 18 months and was "easily qualified" for the job he held.

Meaning: "At the end of a hard-days campaigning we'd check into a Best Western, oil-up and play trojans against spartans. So what ? Greek wrestling is de-stressing."

"I have made no secret of the fact that Ffion and I would love to start a family. Sadly this has proved more difficult for us than for most couples. We have encountered many difficulties and suffered multiple miscarriages"

Meaning: "I've 'ad me lass up the duff more times than you've had hot breakfasts sonny. I'm not a bufty, I'm from Yorkshire OK ?"

Jury is out on this one.

Gay post.

Everybody loves Baz

_654874_loadsamoney150.jpg

0.jpg

People away on business would never share a room, although in the case of two tory politicians perhaps it's a win win situation.

A bit of hide the sausage, one room to pay for and a double expenses claim.

Quit like Hague, sharp guy but he does have previous for talking pish with his 15 pints nonsense.

I know. Thats twice now he's decided its best we all know what a big hunk of true Yorkshire we're dealing with.

He drinks 14 pints and has been nobbing Ffion senseless for years blah blah blah .. we get the picture...

Still could be a sausage smuggler though.

Surely with the Saturday job you won't need to do this now. :cool_shades:

What impact would a lie in that regard have on his job as Foreign Secretary and Member of Parliament, especially when it's very obvious why someone would lie in that context?

His job is as member of Parliament for Richmond. The fact that he is a government minister for the whole electorate of the U.K. suggests lying about anything compromises his position as a fit and proper person to hold Her Majesty's office. Why should it be a political problem to be homosexual. I know 3 homosexual elected politicians, and none of them have ever had any pressure from their party to pretend otherwise.

His job is as member of Parliament for Richmond. The fact that he is a government minister for the whole electorate of the U.K. suggests lying about anything compromises his position as a fit and proper person to hold Her Majesty's office. Why should it be a political problem to be homosexual. I know 3 homosexual elected politicians, and none of them have ever had any pressure from their party to pretend otherwise.

It'd be a personal problem if either he hadn't come to terms with it (highly likely if it is indeed the case), or his family and/or friends couldn't come to terms with it. Who do we think we are to lecture others on how to handle their personal lives?

And oh, big deal, he might've told a lie about it. I take it you've never lied about anything in your entire life? What do we want? Politicians; or eunuchs?

Tiberius Stinkfinger

It'd be a personal problem if either he hadn't come to terms with it (highly likely if it is indeed the case), or his family and/or friends couldn't come to terms with it. Who do we think we are to lecture others on how to handle their personal lives?

And oh, big deal, he might've told a lie about it. I take it you've never lied about anything in your entire life? What do we want? Politicians; or eunuchs?

Are you trying to create an anti gay debate Mr Lawson, shame on you and slap your face with a feather duster, sweety x x x x x x

Are you trying to create an anti gay debate Mr Lawson, shame on you and slap your face with a feather duster, sweety x x x x x x

I love it when you talk dirty, Lionheart. :)

Don't know how involved you got in the last election, but there is no such thing as a private life for a candidate any more. The vetting proceedure is savage in all parties and when people ask why there are no characters in politics anymore? Because the parties know how the media react and won't sanction them as candidates. They become advisors. Very good advisors generally. We have mediocre candidates because we buy the Sun and the Mail and believe the BBC.

It's rude to speak with your mouth full.

Don't know how involved you got in the last election, but there is no such thing as a private life for a candidate any more. The vetting proceedure is savage in all parties and when people ask why there are no characters in politics anymore? Because the parties know how the media react and won't sanction them as candidates. They become advisors. Very good advisors generally. We have mediocre candidates because we buy the Sun and the Mail and believe the BBC.

Well, there damn well should be.

Over 200 years ago, Horatio Nelson conducted an affair with Lady Hamilton in Naples. None of the locals regarded it as any of their business. On his return to Britain - where the aristocracy routinely shagged anything with a pulse, took wives 40 or 50 years younger than them, and even regarded tales of their son contracting STIs during the Grand Tour of Europe as a rite of passage - he was ostracised.

Nothing changes. For some reason, Britons love to hector others on their private lives, or sexual morality: precisely because we remain so astonishingly repressed about anything to do with sex. This is what makes us drink to such excess; this is why there's this bizarre paradox between Brits being simultaneously known around the world for politeness and manners; and for drunken violence. Essentially, we're all a bunch of total hypocrites, uncomfortable in our own skin: meaning we pretend to condemn anything to do with sexual morality, all the while lapping it up and being titilated by it. This pious hypocrisy is what's sustained the tabloid press for hundreds of years.

I'm interested in what a politican does politically: the decisions he makes, the policies he oversees. Unless their private life involves something criminal, I couldn't give a damn about it.

Well, there damn well should be.

Over 200 years ago, Horatio Nelson conducted an affair with Lady Hamilton in Naples. None of the locals regarded it as any of their business. On his return to Britain - where the aristocracy routinely shagged anything with a pulse, took wives 40 or 50 years younger than them, and even regarded tales of their son contracting STIs during the Grand Tour of Europe as a rite of passage - he was ostracised.

Nothing changes. For some reason, Britons love to hector others on their private lives, or sexual morality: precisely because we remain so astonishingly repressed about anything to do with sex. This is what makes us drink to such excess; this is why there's this bizarre paradox between Brits being simultaneously known around the world for politeness and manners; and for drunken violence. Essentially, we're all a bunch of total hypocrites, uncomfortable in our own skin: meaning we pretend to condemn anything to do with sexual morality, all the while lapping it up and being titilated by it. This pious hypocrisy is what's sustained the tabloid press for hundreds of years.

I'm interested in what a politican does politically: the decisions he makes, the policies he oversees. Unless their private life involves something criminal, I couldn't give a damn about it.

I doubt that the blue rinse brigade in the Tory party see it that way. :whistling:

I doubt that the blue rinse brigade in the Tory party see it that way. :whistling:

Only some of them won't. The Tory party is now full of economic liberals, and social liberals.

Who knows? It might be true; it might not. The bottom line is: does it matter in any way?

I agree with this.

What I find amusing is the public "personal" opinion of relatively famous folk is usually one of common decency towards homosexuals but suggest one could be one and you get comments referring to how disturbing it is to be, heaven forbid, sleeping with somebody of the same sex. Only made funnier by the comments like "I'm not a poof, I really do shag birds".

I mean, how crass is it to refer (true or not) to miscarriages when asked if you are a friend of Dorothy. Many people have suffered the trauma of miscarrying but somebody is so scared of being called queer that he will launder his alleged private matters. Watch for Hague telling us that his private life is private, then telling us that he has a big willy that his wife loves.

I agree with this.

What I find amusing is the public "personal" opinion of relatively famous folk is usually one of common decency towards homosexuals but suggest one could be one and you get comments referring to how disturbing it is to be, heaven forbid, sleeping with somebody of the same sex. Only made funnier by the comments like "I'm not a poof, I really do shag birds".

I mean, how crass is it to refer (true or not) to miscarriages when asked if you are a friend of Dorothy. Many people have suffered the trauma of miscarrying but somebody is so scared of being called queer that he will launder his alleged private matters. Watch for Hague telling us that his private life is private, then telling us that he has a big willy that his wife loves.

On the contrary: Hague made these comments in response to assertions that his marriage was in trouble, and after his Special Advisor resigned. I can entirely understand why he would've done so, and I'm quite sure he'd have talked it over with his wife beforehand.

Rumours that William Hague was homosexual have followed him around ever since he became Tory leader. I couldn't care less if he is or not; though if he is, it's a tragedy he's apparently felt it necessary to live a lie about it. But then, in Britain in 2010, many people still do, for all sorts of reasons, often to do with how their family would react.

Meanwhile, we all tell ourselves how 'tolerant' we are nowadays - yet the mainstream media only depicts lesbian sex which conforms to red blooded male fantasies, and the only successful gay male celebrities are camp ones: people like John Inman, Graham Norton or Dale Winton. That there are no successful butch gay male celebrities must be because our oh-so-tolerant public couldn't deal with it.

But that should be no surprise. If a straight couple walk down the street holding hands or kissing, nothing is said. If two gay men do the same, people will stop and stare. Pathetic, don't you think?

Irony abounds of course. Many will recall how during the election campaign, the (then) shadow home secretary got himself into a complete tizzy about gay couples and B&B's...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page last updated at 12:46 GMT, Sunday, 4 April 2010 13:46 UK

Grayling suggests B&Bs should be able to bar gay guests

o.gif_47584844_008827936-1.jpg

A key Conservative has been recorded suggesting people who run bed and breakfasts in their homes should have the right to reject homosexual guests.

But shadow home secretary Chris Grayling said hotels should not be allowed to discriminate in that way.

Labour and the Lib Dems said the Tories would allow discrimination "to thrive".

Mr Grayling later said he was looking at being "sensitive to the genuinely held principles of faith groups" but was not seeking a change in the law.

The secret recording has been published on the Observer newspaper's website.

The BBC's political correspondent Norman Smith said the stance taken by Mr Grayling, MP for Epsom and Ewell, "put him at odds with the law".

Irony abounds of course. Many will recall how during the election campaign, the (then) shadow home secretary got himself into a complete tizzy about gay couples and B&B's...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page last updated at 12:46 GMT, Sunday, 4 April 2010 13:46 UK

Grayling suggests B&Bs should be able to bar gay guests

o.gif_47584844_008827936-1.jpg

A key Conservative has been recorded suggesting people who run bed and breakfasts in their homes should have the right to reject homosexual guests.

But shadow home secretary Chris Grayling said hotels should not be allowed to discriminate in that way.

Labour and the Lib Dems said the Tories would allow discrimination "to thrive".

Mr Grayling later said he was looking at being "sensitive to the genuinely held principles of faith groups" but was not seeking a change in the law.

The secret recording has been published on the Observer newspaper's website.

The BBC's political correspondent Norman Smith said the stance taken by Mr Grayling, MP for Epsom and Ewell, "put him at odds with the law".

Except Chris Grayling was then denied the Home Secretary's job, and kept out of the Cabinet altogether. Rightly so too. :thumbsup:

Ooh La La, Nelson and Lady Hamilton, had a heterosexual affair 200 years ago and nobody cared.

Shaun this is 2010, so why hide if you are gay or Bi sexual? Are you saying that nothing has changed since then.

I could give you a list of openly gay MPs and other prominent members of society and nobody would give a hoot. Even a wife beating Stella drinking alcoholic probably wouldn't care.

So if a Tory front bencher was gay or Bi sexual why doesn't he just come out and say? Probably because he would lose his job, wife, some friends and influence. Instead he may, have lied, as it is the Tories who are living in the past.

The Lib Dems are full of gays and nobody cares. Simon Hughes is a prime example. Their most vote-able MP!!

Ooh La La, Nelson and Lady Hamilton, had a heterosexual affair 200 years ago and nobody cared.

Shaun this is 2010, so why hide if you are gay or Bi sexual? Are you saying that nothing has changed since then.

I could give you a list of openly gay MPs and other prominent members of society and nobody would give a hoot. Even a wife beating Stella drinking alcoholic probably wouldn't care.

So if a Tory front bencher was gay or Bi sexual why doesn't he just come out and say? Probably because he would lose his job, wife, some friends and influence. Instead he may, have lied, as it is the Tories who are living in the past.

The Lib Dems are full of gays and nobody cares. Simon Hughes is a prime example. Their most vote-able MP!!

I've already explained why. How do you know that if he is gay, William Hague's family would be OK with it? I've also pointed out the many, many areas in which our oh so tolerant public actually aren't tolerant at all.

And when you have a society notorious even now for being sexually repressed, it stands to reason that homosexual members of it are often even more repressed. If he's gay, maybe it's simply that Hague himself can't come to terms with it; it's very obvious that applied in David Laws' case too.

On the contrary: Hague made these comments in response to assertions that his marriage was in trouble, and after his Special Advisor resigned. I can entirely understand why he would've done so, and I'm quite sure he'd have talked it over with his wife beforehand.

Rumours that William Hague was homosexual have followed him around ever since he became Tory leader. I couldn't care less if he is or not; though if he is, it's a tragedy he's apparently felt it necessary to live a lie about it. But then, in Britain in 2010, many people still do, for all sorts of reasons, often to do with how their family would react.

Meanwhile, we all tell ourselves how 'tolerant' we are nowadays - yet the mainstream media only depicts lesbian sex which conforms to red blooded male fantasies, and the only successful gay male celebrities are camp ones: people like John Inman, Graham Norton or Dale Winton. That there are no successful butch male celebrities must be because our oh-so-tolerant public couldn't deal with it.

But that should be no surprise. If a straight couple walk down the street holding hands or kissing, nothing is said. If two gay men do the same, people will stop and stare. Pathetic, don't you think?

When you say people, I think you mean Tory and Labour voters. There is a difference. Intelligent Scots don't align themselves with those, and share your distaste for their pathetic attitudes. More gay politicians means less nepotism. I'm in favour.

Meanwhile, we all tell ourselves how 'tolerant' we are nowadays - yet the mainstream media only depicts lesbian sex which conforms to red blooded male fantasies, and the only successful gay male celebrities are camp ones: people like John Inman, Graham Norton or Dale Winton. That there are no successful butch male celebrities must be because our oh-so-tolerant public couldn't deal with it.

I'm not homophobic so I agree with you Shaun.

On the other hand, I hate hypocrisy. William Hague may well have travelled a journey of enlightenment in reappriasing his former views. It may be a genuine journey or it may be a convenient journey. But as leader in 2001 he opposed same-sex civil partnerships.

So when politicians pontificate on social mores and personal relationships, they better be 100% honest about what may be hiding in their own closet. Hague may or may not be in that closet and questions will be raised now about his honesty and integrity.

I find his aides resignation mysterious - and entirely unjustified if theres nothing to hide. If it now transpires that his aide is gay (and the media will be hunting deeply for former boyfriends and/or girlfriends) then William is in deep personal doo-doo.

When you say people, I think you mean Tory and Labour voters. There is a difference. Intelligent Scots don't align themselves with those, and share your distaste for their pathetic attitudes. More gay politicians means less nepotism. I'm in favour.

If you are seriously suggesting that Scots are, by some miracle of geography, less homophobic than their English counterparts, or that there are no homophobic SNP voters anywhere, I think you've finally entered the realms of self-parody, D. :thumbsup:

Archived