How Rank Are Scotland And Spl Clubs In Europe

dirtyharry

Oh FFS,English clubs had Scottish players in their ranks because all they really had to pick from was the home nations and Ireland,now,as you say,the are picking up the best talent from around the bloody globe.

I don't really see where your getting this "total joke" from,we are a tiny nation of about 5-6 million,how the hell are we expected to turn out talent year in year out,FFs much larger countries than us fail to qualify year after year.

As for now blaming the english league system deary me.

Kenny Dalgleish, John Wark, Steve Nicol, Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen, Billy Bremner, Joe Jordan etc....etc.... Those players were brought down to or through English clubs quite young, where are these types now?

They could have picked up players from Europe back then too but they rarely did.

We had 5-6 million back then too but we still qualified for tournaments regularly so why not anymore?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenny Dalgleish, John Wark, Steve Nicol, Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen, Billy Bremner, Joe Jordan etc....etc.... Those players were brought down to or through English clubs quite young, where are these types now?

They could have picked up players from Europe back then too but they rarely did.

We had 5-6 million back then too but we still qualified for tournaments regularly so why not anymore?

More countries now play football at a higher standard now add to that the break up of the USSR and you have a world of difference,oh and as for the "where are they now",Craig Gordon and Darren Fletcher.

Oh FFS,English clubs had Scottish players in their ranks because all they really had to pick from was the home nations and Ireland,now,as you say,the are picking up the best talent from around the bloody globe.

I don't really see where your getting this "total joke" from,we are a tiny nation of about 5-6 million,how the hell are we expected to turn out talent year in year out,FFs much larger countries than us fail to qualify year after year.

As for now blaming the english league system deary me.

But these players they were getting from Scotland were papping the best teams from around europe year in year out. They didn`t have to buy abroad.

Britain has never heavily exported players either but in the 80`s Mark Hughes and Lineker were playing for Barca, just to name two.

There wasn`t many players here from abroad because we didn`t need them.

I touched on too many mups running youth teams and lifestyle but i think a big thing is we`ve lost alot of our intelligence on the park. We don`t have enough clever players now. I don`t think its solely down to technical ability as to why we have fell behind, football comes from the brain and we don`t have that level of intelligence in the game now.

One player who is a bit of a throw back to the old days is McFadden imo. He has a bit know how in his game and most of the time stands out for Scotland.

But these players they were getting from Scotland were papping the best teams from around europe year in year out. They didn`t have to buy abroad.

Britain has never heavily exported players either but in the 80`s Mark Hughes and Lineker were playing for Barca, just to name two.

There wasn`t many players here from abroad because we didn`t need them.

I touched on too many mups running youth teams and lifestyle but i think a big thing is we`ve lost alot of our intelligence on the park. We don`t have enough clever players now. I don`t think its solely down to technical ability as to why we have fell behind, football comes from the brain and we don`t have that level of intelligence in the game now.

One player who is a bit of a throw back to the old days is McFadden imo. He has a bit know how in his game and most of the time stands out for Scotland.

TBF these teams were also quite limited as to where they got their players,it's a different ball game all together now(pardon the pun)I do agree that we seem to be lagging behind when it comes to training and all that but I still think we punch above our weight at times.

Look at how poor France and engerlund were and look at the size of the population,even look at their academies,not done engerlund that well really.

Some people will but not many people will argue that we are now producing players of the same standard as the players of 20, 30, 40 years ago.

Not having a go at you Debut, but maybe we should cut out all the technospeak and refer instead to concepts such as "skill". Maybe that would help the yoofs understand what is required.

Having said that, the Scottish national team is an absolute embarrassment - as are the TA dildos that follow it - and I really believe we should withdraw from international competition until (or if) we can get our act together. As it is we're just whipping boys for all and sundry which has a demotivating and demoralising effect on yoofs who may otherwise be interested in the game.

TBF these teams were also quite limited as to where they got their players,it's a different ball game all together now(pardon the pun)I do agree that we seem to be lagging behind when it comes to training and all that but I still think we punch above our weight at times.

Look at how poor France and engerlund were and look at the size of the population,even look at their academies,not done engerlund that well really.

well, thats the point. The best from this island were defeating the best from europe. It was a different world then in terms of players going here there and everywhere but it still happened although more rarely.

We didn`t need to buy abroad, thats the point and the teams abroad didn`t have the clout as they do now to poach the best from abroad, in which they might have done then if the money situation was as it is now...because British players were just as good. Don`t get me wrong, there were obviously an abundance of great players abroad but we COULD compete...or at least english teams were more often with homebred players.

Not having a go at you Debut, but maybe we should cut out all the technospeak and refer instead to concepts such as "skill". Maybe that would help the yoofs understand what is required.

Having said that, the Scottish national team is an absolute embarrassment - as are the TA dildos that follow it - and I really believe we should withdraw from international competition until (or if) we can get our act together. As it is we're just whipping boys for all and sundry which has a demotivating and demoralising effect on yoofs who may otherwise be interested in the game.

You couldn't make it up. :woot:

your right, ive been brainwashed with modern pap anaw. its skill! :thumbsup:

You couldn't make it up. :woot:

Had a wee chuckle at Torypest's use of the word "we" too. Scotland has been left behind because all these newly independent countries in Europe are choosing to use their wealth to develop their sporting infrastructure. Decisions we cannot take. In a country with 8 month winters, there should be indoor facilities in every town over 50000. We were good in the past because football was more important in Scotland than virtually anywhere in Europe. Now, plenty independent countries see the value in it, and invest their resources accordingly.

alwaysthereinspirit

Scotlands biggest downfall, other than the obvious ($#!t association, puppet managers) is the dumb attitude that "good enough,old enough" doesn't count in Scotland.

Said it a million times on here. Wayne Rooney would not have been given a chance at 19 if Scottish.

Decisions we cannot take.

It's those bad men at Westminster's fault. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Scotlands biggest downfall, other than the obvious ($#!t association, puppet managers) is the dumb attitude that "good enough,old enough" doesn't count in Scotland.

Said it a million times on here. Wayne Rooney would not have been given a chance at 19 if Scottish.

I saw Rooney when he was 19. He was a top player then.

You have to accept we have not been producing players that are good enough.

If clubs could save thousands or in the case of the Old Firm millions of pounds by playing home produced players they would.

It's those bad men at Westminster's fault. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not Westminster. After all the happily brainwashed Scots electorate keep electing these glory hunters in that place. My point is that we have a fixed budget, so the ability to allocate resources for sporting vanity projects is limited. This is not a problem for the countries whose clubs now regularly destroy Scots teams.

This is not a problem for the countries whose clubs now regularly destroy Scots teams.

So you're saying that other countries do not work under budgetary constraints and have unlimited amounts of munny? :whistling:

I hope the McLeish report gets put into action. The game is the national one of Scotland, and it should have a structure in place to develop talent. The Netherlands are a small nation, and they do very well. Scotland should be looking to do the same. Holyrood should come up with some finance, in conjunction with the private sector, and get a plan in place.

So you're saying that other countries do not work under budgetary constraints and have unlimited amounts of munny? :whistling:

No. Your interpretation is foolish. I said that we have a fixed budget. Scotland is a net contributer to the U.K. treasury,(GERS report) but have a fixed income. If we earn more money, we are not any better off. If countries like Denmark, Slovakia, Croatia etc. earn more money, they can choose to spend their extra wealth exactly how they choose. Often that is on sporting infrastructure. We cannot do that.

I said that we have a fixed budget.

Any budget is, by definition, fixed.

Incidentally, Scotland is a net beneficiary from the Union, not a contributor. You can thank all the spongers who have thrived under Liebore and SNP governments for that.

I think the problem lies squarely with the Old Firm. They have a stranglehold on the game which stamps out the competition.

As long as we have sponging clubs that can't survive without two visits from the ugly sisters, we will continue to struggle.

We need to ensure that TV money and SPL sponsorship cash is divided evenly, which means the Old Firm get less.

The league split is a joke of an idea and needs to be binned.

I'd like to see 16 or 18 teams in the SPL, with each team playing each other once at home and once away. I do think there would be enough reasonable teams to make up the difference - Raith Rovers, Dunfermline, Queen Of The South, Dundee, etc.

League football needs to start two weeks before the first team enters European Qualifying. If that means we start earlier and play more games in the Summer, I don't have a problem with that.

The chances of any of this happening are zero while we have the spongers and hangers on that don't contribute to our game. Any votes to change things for the better always end in votes for self interest, rather than the betterment of the game.

We also need to get rid of duplicate organisations - merge the SFA, SPL, and SFL.

Any budget is, by definition, fixed.

Incidentally, Scotland is a net beneficiary from the Union, not a contributor. You can thank all the spongers who have thrived under Liebore and SNP governments for that.

Incidentally you are wrong. Read the GERS report. Even Westminster admit we are a net contributer, even without our share of oil revenues being counted.

Again you foolishly miss my point. Budgets are fixed. Of course. But when you earn more money, you alter the budget to perhaps indulge in luxuries. Sport is a luxury, but unlike, Norway, Czech Republic, Slovenia, etc. we do not get an increased budget when we earn more money, therefore cannot include luxuries in the budget without cutting services elsewhere.

Budgets are fixed. Of course.

Thanks for admitting I was right.

Thanks for admitting I was right.

Incidentally you are wrong.

How did you miss the opening sentence? The problem with capitalist democracies seems to be that illiterates can earn a lot of money.

I was hoping you would explain how Scottish football can be improved without any extra funding, because that is the issue. Personally, I know it can't be done, but you seem certain that the opposite is true. Always open to logical reasoned arguements.

I was hoping you would explain how Scottish football can be improved without any extra funding, because that is the issue.

If money was the answer, countries like Ghana, Cameroon and South Africa wouldn't be light years ahead of our diddy national team. And the United Arab Emirates would be world cup holders.

Next!

If money was the answer, countries like Ghana, Cameroon and South Africa wouldn't be light years ahead of our diddy national team. And the United Arab Emirates would be world cup holders.

Next!

The difference is that those countries don't have teams that swallow up all the TV cash and buy the best players from their opponents simply to weaken them.

How many promising Scottish internationals have been ruined by the old firm, by signing from decent SPL sides only to sit in the reserves?

Weakening the old firm is the only way to make our game stronger.

The difference is that those countries don't have teams that swallow up all the TV cash and buy the best players from their opponents simply to weaken them.

How many promising Scottish internationals have been ruined by the old firm, by signing from decent SPL sides only to sit in the reserves?

Weakening the old firm is the only way to make our game stronger.

What a load of nonsense. There is no incentive in this country for kids to play football. The on-field product is pish so they don't aspire to play football and reach the SPL, and there are loads of alternative ways to spend their time.

southside1874

Scottish football seems to have an acceptable level of corruption that scottish folk seem to accept. Rangers and Celtic market themselves on sectarianism that fuels hatred amongst their fans but then work closely at boardroom level to ensure they have the lions share. I wouldn't be surprised if there was an SFA directive to make sure they get the refs full backing during games. If anyone challenges them they get crap from the media and any dirt is dug up and splattered over the papers. They are made out to be the nut house of a squad. Any manager and club owner would find it difficult to maintain focus while this goes on. You would spend your time dealing with nonsense instead of ensuring progress.

Rangers and Celtic don't produce the talent they are capable of because its easy for them to buy their payers from the rest of us and thus giving the rest of the clubs another financial lifeline.

You can't change things for the better until you accept what is truly wrong. What you get is piecemeal gestures.

What a load of nonsense. There is no incentive in this country for kids to play football. The on-field product is pish so they don't aspire to play football and reach the SPL, and there are loads of alternative ways to spend their time.

Nope. I think you'll find I'm right and you are wrong.

There are many reasons for kinds not having an incentive to play football:

• They don't get to see much of it on TV with highlights programmes at 11:30pm on a Monday night. I used to have Sportscene at 10pm on a Saturday AND Scotsport at 5pm on a Sunday. ESPN and Sky are pay tv and not accessible for large sections of the population.
  • Schools have sold off their playing fields for PFI projects put in place by NU Labour.

Computer games etc, do play a part as you said, but if the game isn't marketed at Schools and kids can't see the games, how are they going to get hooked if they aren't taken to them?

The fault of this lies with the SPL for selling stupid TV rights.

There are many reasons for kinds not having an incentive to play football:

[*]They don't get to see much of it on TV with highlights programmes at 11:30pm on a Monday night. I used to have Sportscene at 10pm on a Saturday AND Scotsport at 5pm on a Sunday. ESPN and Sky are pay tv and not accessible for large sections of the population.

That's actually a positive. If the kids did see more of it, it's so pish it'd put them right off.

Anyway, your point is nonsense. There are many ways for kids to access SPL pish, not just tv.

There is no incentive in this country for kids to play football. The on-field product is pish so they don't aspire to play football and reach the SPL, and there are loads of alternative ways to spend their time.

Not often i'll agree with Therapist, but he's absolutely right with this. Blaming computer games et al, is a tad simplistic. Kids have more sporting options than they used to have and thats a main point which many miss. A main reason for the shift is how Scotland coaches kids, which turns many off the sport and into others. The media also have a big part to play with constant scaremongering too.

I think the problem lies squarely with the Old Firm. They have a stranglehold on the game which stamps out the competition.

The same rubbish time and again. The whole of Scotland can sit back and do ef all because it is all the Old Firm's fault the young players coming through every club cannot kick a ball.

Not often i'll agree with Therapist, but he's absolutely right with this. Blaming computer games et al, is a tad simplistic. Kids have more sporting options than they used to have and thats a main point which many miss. A main reason for the shift is how Scotland coaches kids, which turns many off the sport and into others. The media also have a big part to play with constant scaremongering too.

I'll not disagree that the on-field product is pish, but there are reasons for that, which I already covered. The old firm have a stranglehold on our game, and the hangers on are quite happy with that as most of them won't ever make Europe anyway.

I think that the old firm winning the league and usually treble every season is the primary reason for people not picking it up.

Not everyone gets taken to the football by their parents. Therefore they need to see the game on TV. BBC (or EBC as it should be known) is a disgrace and needs to drop its English football saturation of our Scottish Saturday nights.

It used to be that we had Sportscene on a Saturday night with the highlights of the Scottish games then the Premiership highlights after. It should be the same again or the English football shouldn't be broadcast in Scotland.

I don't think its right that the BBC spend all their cash on English domestic and international football, while sticking the finger up at us.

I guess its a catch-22 situation - how do you make the game exciting to watch and of good quality, and get kids interested?

Surely the kids have to see the games in some way to be interested. I don't believe that computer games etc is the sole reason. Remember we had Sinclair Spectrums, Atari Consoles, Commodore 64, Amigas etc in the mid 80s. That would have meant that the previous generation or two would also have been crap at football.

I can't really comment on the quality of the youth coaching, but we need to get rid of the loser parents who think they are all Alex Ferguson and sit on the sidelines shouting unhelpful abuse. There are times I've walked past these games to buy a weekend newspaper and just shaken my head. Perhaps we should exclude the parents from the games for a start.

The same rubbish time and again. The whole of Scotland can sit back and do ef all because it is all the Old Firm's fault the young players coming through every club cannot kick a ball.

What are the coaches doing with them between them signing their S Forms and them playing in the first team?

Too much emphasis seems to be on physical conditioning e.g. running and weights. How much ball skills work is done?

In any case Celtic only had two Scottish players in your team, so your argument is bollocks.

The standard is crap right across the board and no club is doing enough. Not Rangers or celtic, Hearts or hibs. We're miles from where we once were.

I think that the old firm winning the league and usually treble every season is the primary reason for people not picking it up.

It's always been like that yet we've had decent international teams in the past.

BBC (or EBC as it should be known) is a disgrace and needs to drop its English football saturation of our Scottish Saturday nights.

It used to be that we had Sportscene on a Saturday night with the highlights of the Scottish games then the Premiership highlights after. It should be the same again or the English football shouldn't be broadcast in Scotland.

I don't think its right that the BBC spend all their cash on English domestic and international football, while sticking the finger up at us.

:woot:

Frank, I suspect you vote SNP. In fact, I suspect you may have set fire to incomers holiday homes. You have issues - I suggest you seek help urgently.

They don't aspire to play football. Does that answer your own question about why the UAE are not world champions? It is not all about money. Let me make this very simple for you. If kids want to play football in Scotland it is now very difficult because we cannot choose to pay for the infrastructure to support them. We need the investment and the encouragement. In the modern game you need both, and Scotland cannot have both under our present funding model.

It is not all about money.

You said it was.

If kids want to play football in Scotland it is now very difficult because we cannot choose to pay for the infrastructure to support them. We need the investment and the encouragement.

In the days when we had decent international teams - and no Tartan Army - kids played in the park or playground using jumpers for goalposts. "Infrastructure" is another meaningless term like "technical ability".

Next!

Frank, I suspect you vote SNP. In fact, I suspect you may have set fire to incomers holiday homes. You have issues - I suggest you seek help urgently.

So, do you think its fair that teams such as Hearts get less funding because BBC won't invest in our game?

It has a duty to spend its budget evenly and the Scots don't get their fair share of TV money for sport.

Complete waste of license payers money, when they are paying stupid money for stuff that should be on pay TV like Scotland home matches are.

Its a disgrace that people in Scotland see more of the premiership teams on TV than they do our own. Like it or not, this does correlate with the decline in Scottish football in club and international football.

So, do you think its fair that teams such as Hearts get less funding because BBC won't invest in our game?

It has a duty to spend its budget evenly and the Scots don't get their fair share of TV money for sport.

Complete waste of license payers money, when they are paying stupid money for stuff that should be on pay TV like Scotland home matches are.

Its a disgrace that people in Scotland see more of the premiership teams on TV than they do our own. Like it or not, this does correlate with the decline in Scottish football in club and international football.

As a matter of interest, how much do the BBC spend on English football compared to Scottish?

In the days when we had decent international teams - and no Tartan Army - kids played in the park or playground using jumpers for goalposts. "Infrastructure" is another meaningless term like "technical ability".

Next!

Lets take your ridiculous statements in turn.

1. How EXACTLY does the Tartan Army relate to the decline in kids playing football?

2. Kids still do play football in parks with jumpers as goalposts.

However there are fewer green spaces to play football and lots of "No Football" signs on the green areas around newer houses. Where are kids supposed to go for a kick-about nowadays? Don't say the road, as few people played properly on the street when I grew up in the '70s and '80s.

By your scarily warped logic, Elgin FC would get the same TV dosh as Heart of Midlothian FC or Chelsea FC.

Are you a really brilliant wind up merchant or just barking mad? Not being funny.

southside1874

why are we blaming the kids coming trough when they don't even play for the first team. Clubs have foreigners in their team and don't seem to compete. Its the ruling bodies that are to blame for the whole nonsense. They are simply not strong enough to stand up to Rangers and Celtic. They folk running things are more than likely Celtic and Rangers fans first and foremost and wont do anything that will effect these clubs. Its no coincidence that poor ref decisions are there throughout the whole lot of refs, they are briefed before games and they follow orders. They never seem to get punished for making a complete erse of it because they would blow the whistle. Rangers players sticking their fingers up is because they know their club is bigger than the SFA.

1. How EXACTLY does the Tartan Army relate to the decline in kids playing football?

Their drunken, anti-social antics scare kids and put them off playing football. :down:

Their drunken, anti-social antics scare kids and put them off playing football. :down:

Everyone loves a trier. :lol:

As a matter of interest, how much do the BBC spend on English football compared to Scottish?

I don't have the figures to hand, but it wouldn't take a genius to work out its considerably more than the Monday 11:30pm highlights package we get.

How much do you think it costs to get second-hand highlights lasting 2 minutes per match, and show at that ridiculous time?

You said it was.

Next!

Can you actually read? The fact that I said it is not all about money, and then pointed what else it was about was obviously too subtle for your stereotypes. The next stuff. Great SAHB album, poor banter.

I'll not disagree that the on-field product is pish, but there are reasons for that, which I already covered. The old firm have a stranglehold on our game, and the hangers on are quite happy with that as most of them won't ever make Europe anyway.

Not everyone gets taken to the football by their parents. Therefore they need to see the game on TV. BBC (or EBC as it should be known) is a disgrace and needs to drop its English football saturation of our Scottish Saturday nights.

I guess its a catch-22 situation - how do you make the game exciting to watch and of good quality, and get kids interested?

Surely the kids have to see the games in some way to be interested.

I can't really comment on the quality of the youth coaching

While they maybe do, you could point the same finger at Spain and it hasnt really harmed them has it? To talk about TV is again, for me, too simplistic. The problems are much deeper than simply saying that children dont see it on TV. Kids dont see a lot of sports, yet other sports are currently booming. Why is that?

You say you cant comment, then proceed to in the next post. But your point is correct. There is far too much emphasis on being 'big and strong' rather than having the skills to play. Its a nonsense. There is far too many who think its still the right way which absolutely beggars belief. It really does turn many kids off the sport, where in others they can be nurtured and taught properly, rather being told to run all day and constantly berated.

By your scarily warped logic, Elgin FC would get the same TV dosh as Heart of Midlothian FC or Chelsea FC.

Are you a really brilliant wind up merchant or just barking mad? Not being funny.

1. I was talking about the SPL teams getting equal shares of the TV cash, and since Elgin aren't in the SPL they don't qualify.

2. I'm not on the wind-up, just pointing out that the BBC is doing a disgraceful job of Scottish sport. My argument is that all the money is being spent on English football at our expense. The fact they are better than us is irrelevant, as the BBC still has a duty to do its job and Scottish football should come first in BBC Scotland.

I don't have the figures to hand, but it wouldn't take a genius to work out its considerably more than the Monday 11:30pm highlights package we get.

How much do you think it costs to get second-hand highlights lasting 2 minutes per match, and show at that ridiculous time?

By your logic if it was 10 times then that would be acceptable given the population differences.

By your logic if it was 10 times then that would be acceptable given the population differences.

What is your point, caller?

It looks like you are fishing.

My point is purely that the BBC should be able to afford proper Saturday night SPL highlights as they are supposed to be regionalised. The money spent on EPL Highlights + Championship Highlights & Live games + English International live games is unfair compared to the pishy token late Monday night SPL highlights package.

Do you disagree with this? If so, at least try and post some constructive arguments.

Archived