How Rank Are Scotland And Spl Clubs In Europe

dirtyharry

with these results tonight and over the last 20 years as a whole,we must be on a par with luxembourg and estonia..i am watching better quality in tns tonight compared to murderwell and the likes..

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fozzyonthefence

Amazing! Scottish clubs seem to manage to get even worse each season even when it seems the previous season is the lowest of the low. So glad we didn't qualify this year!

And the national team seems to be on the same downward spiral too

Francis Albert

with these results tonight and over the last 20 years as a whole,we must be on a par with luxembourg and estonia..i am watching better quality in tns tonight compared to murderwell and the likes..

No need to exaggerate. How many teams from Estonia and Luxembourg have reached a European final in recent years?

and with that group rankers got they will get murdered by man ure and valencia,at best a point at home agaisnt buraspor is all they will pick up i feel..all we seem to do as a nation is look back at the success we had as a nation and the clubs had 40 odd years ago etc and we do nothing to try and make it better for the future..really i feel total network solutions would give most of our spl a good game..i mean they are winning agaisnt cska sofia tonight a certain cillian sheridans outfit lol

and with that group rankers got they will get murdered by man ure and valencia,at best a point at home agaisnt buraspor is all they will pick up i feel..all we seem to do as a nation is look back at the success we had as a nation and the clubs had 40 odd years ago etc and we do nothing to try and make it better for the future..really i feel total network solutions would give most of our spl a good game..i mean they are winning agaisnt cska sofia tonight a certain cillian sheridans outfit lol

TNS and New saints are two diffrent teams bud but agree with the rest of the post

Malinga the Swinga

From the ugly sisters point of view, they are paying the penalty for a lack of youth investment over the last 20 odd years. They would rather playan old has been foreigner, than chuck in a youngster. Celtic appointed the cheap option in Lennon, and so far, he has had 2 difficult games he had to win, against Ross County and tonight. result, abject failure.

Rangers, well they plead poverty and sign some foreign centre forward, when they have had Murray Park for years. What is wrong with giving Andrew Little a chance. Why not play young guys, instead of getting loan players for a year. What will happen when Weiss goes back next year to Man City, will they borrow someone else. They are so short sighted so as not to be true.

Motherwell had a fluke season last year with a small squad somehow surviving with no injuries, and having no crowd support, a crap pitch and no money, means they will always struggle to perform to any standard.

Dundee Utd threw it away with nerves at home. A 1-1 against AEK away, whereever it was played, is not a bad result, but again, low crowds and lack of investment means they will struggle.

As for Hibs, well they lost with flair.

No-one at other clubs had any sympathy when we lost to AEk, Spartaor Dynamo, so why should we shed a tear for any of them. They all want to stand together to change thngs when it suits them, but when we asked for assistance, they just laughed and walked away, so tough, what goes around comes around.

Change the SPL to 16 teams, 30 games, 15 home and away, and start by splitting cash evenly. Then get refs to play fair by everyone, so when it comes to Europe, old firm are not stunned by refs who don't give them everything.

Then, merge SPL, SFA, SFL into 1 body and get rid of the balzers who run football fo rtheir own means. Guys from semi pro and juniors should have no say on SPL. Get regional structure underneath the 1st division, with 1 team from North and South regions being promoted into SFL division. Teams like Albion Rovers, Dumbarton etc should either merge with othe rlocal clubs or be replaced as the days of clubs with 200 supporters is past, Kids from their areas no longer care about their local team as they support Man U or Chelsea or Arsenal, and once you lose your local backbone of support, you are finished.

Francis Albert

A bit arrogant IMO to be shocked by tonight's results. AEK and Utrecht come from bigger, stronger leagues, and the possible exception Odense are less of a European minnow than Motherwell. The first step in making progress is is to recognise we are small country with shockingly poor infrastructure and coaching resources.

TNS and New saints are two diffrent teams bud but agree with the rest of the post

No they're not. Total Network Solutions were known as TNS. When the sponsorship deal came to an end they renamed themselves The New Saints, partly due to having previously been nicknamed the Saints and partly because it fitted the TNS acronym which is still used.

Disagree that TNS would give most SPL teams a good game. Welsh football is a signifcantly lower standard the the SPL. Agree with Francis Albert that none of this set of Scottish results can really be considered a shock.

No they're not. Total Network Solutions were known as TNS. When the sponsorship deal came to an end they renamed themselves The New Saints, partly due to having previously been nicknamed the Saints and partly because it fitted the TNS acronym which is still used.

Disagree that TNS would give most SPL teams a good game. Welsh football is a signifcantly lower standard the the SPL. Agree with Francis Albert that none of this set of Scottish results can really be considered a shock.

och well learn something new everyday

eh? when were hibs in europe this season?lol i blinked and missed it :lol:

From the ugly sisters point of view, they are paying the penalty for a lack of youth investment over the last 20 odd years. They would rather playan old has been foreigner, than chuck in a youngster. Celtic appointed the cheap option in Lennon, and so far, he has had 2 difficult games he had to win, against Ross County and tonight. result, abject failure.

Rangers, well they plead poverty and sign some foreign centre forward, when they have had Murray Park for years. What is wrong with giving Andrew Little a chance. Why not play young guys, instead of getting loan players for a year. What will happen when Weiss goes back next year to Man City, will they borrow someone else. They are so short sighted so as not to be true.

Motherwell had a fluke season last year with a small squad somehow surviving with no injuries, and having no crowd support, a crap pitch and no money, means they will always struggle to perform to any standard.

Dundee Utd threw it away with nerves at home. A 1-1 against AEK away, whereever it was played, is not a bad result, but again, low crowds and lack of investment means they will struggle.

As for Hibs, well they lost with flair.

No-one at other clubs had any sympathy when we lost to AEk, Spartaor Dynamo, so why should we shed a tear for any of them. They all want to stand together to change thngs when it suits them, but when we asked for assistance, they just laughed and walked away, so tough, what goes around comes around.

Change the SPL to 16 teams, 30 games, 15 home and away, and start by splitting cash evenly. Then get refs to play fair by everyone, so when it comes to Europe, old firm are not stunned by refs who don't give them everything.

Then, merge SPL, SFA, SFL into 1 body and get rid of the balzers who run football fo rtheir own means. Guys from semi pro and juniors should have no say on SPL. Get regional structure underneath the 1st division, with 1 team from North and South regions being promoted into SFL division. Teams like Albion Rovers, Dumbarton etc should either merge with othe rlocal clubs or be replaced as the days of clubs with 200 supporters is past, Kids from their areas no longer care about their local team as they support Man U or Chelsea or Arsenal, and once you lose your local backbone of support, you are finished.

The Old Tolbooth

Scottish football is getting exactly what it deserves right now

The sick man of European football!

Behold!!!

The Legacy of Sir David Murray!!!

He is to Scottish Football what Nero was to Rome!!!

Scottish football is pish but does anyone really bother anymore?

Really?

I enjoy going along to the football and having a bevvy with my mates but couldn't really care how crap scottish football is.

alwaysthereinspirit

As an ex-pat I have absolutely no sympathy for all the failings Scottish teams have in Europe and that includes the national team.

I love Scotland and I wish every Scottish sports team well (football excluded) no matter what sport they are participating in. Even cricket.

Hearts always have been and always will be my only football issue.

Over the years the GFA have ruined what ever love there was for the national team.

Rant over.

Behold!!!

I have to agree however at least Dundee and Motherwell went down fighting ,Smeltic were rank and lucky to get beat 4-0, although I have to say anyone who changes the vast majority of his team as Lennon has is asking for trouble.......

Probably the most ludicrous post I've ever read on Kickback.

Who really cares how teams like Dundee United and Motherwell do in Europe? Really. I don't, I quite like to see these teams get papped out rather humourusly.

Drylaw Hearts

The Scottish co-efficient is getting so bad that we can't be far away from losing another European spot altogether.

It will soon be the Top 3 only which only makes it harder for us.

jamboinglasgow

Behold!!!

Exactly. Added to that he built an army of journalists who ensured he was safe from criticism, very few in the media will dare criticise him.

As someone else has said, Rangers are suffering from short-termism. They would of been best (long term) to get a new manager in during the summer who has a reputation for working with youngsters, building them up, making the best out of limited resources. Yes it may mean they might not win the league this season (with Lennon in charge it might not be the case) but the new manager would have a blank canvas of a team which he could build his way. But they go for the safety blanket, Walter Smith. He has bought players on deals he wants despite not being here next season, trying to get players signed up on deals. But as we all know Ally McCoist is taking over, it could be a disaster next season for them.

The Scottish co-efficient is getting so bad that we can't be far away from losing another European spot altogether.

Thats true, but how much money do we make on average each season from european competition? Not much I bet.

Celtic and rangers will lose out on millions for failing to make the champions league which makes the SPL a more level playing field.

The more pish the old firm perform in europe the more chance there is of a team outside them winning the league. All IMO.

False info again from you.

Total Network Solutions changed their name to The New Saints, I trust you will now apologise to the OP.

There`s many issues to why we aren`t as good as we used to be. Scottish people love football and many have a good knowledge of the game and have been inspirational and leaders in the professional game down South.

But on the playing side it just isn`t happening. One thing for me is, is that there are still too many ar seholes running youth teams. Not everyone, there are many good coaches out there but they are in equal measure to the muppets who run under 10`s etc and just want trophies and don`t have a clue how to nurture laddies.

The other is dedication and lifestyle. Scotland finds it hard keeping young players on the straight and narrow and more slip through the net than ones who are saved. Our sides at youth level(as in local teams) continually win tourneys abroad but it all comes to a halt at the crucial ages when they have to make the jump to the big time.

Drylaw Hearts

Thats true, but how much money do we make on average each season from european competition? Not much I bet.

Celtic and rangers will lose out on millions for failing to make the champions league which makes the SPL a more level playing field.

The more pish the old firm perform in europe the more chance there is of a team outside them winning the league. All IMO.

It's not the money that concerns me it's the lack of European trips that has me worried.

Btw...

I 100% agree with the rest of your post.

But on the playing side it just isn`t happening. One thing for me is, is that there are still too many ar seholes running youth teams. Not everyone, there are many good coaches out there but they are in equal measure to the muppets who run under 10`s etc and just want trophies and don`t have a clue how to nurture laddies.

Nail hit of the head.

AllowayJambo

Scottish football goes round in peaks and troughs, Not that long ago Celtic and Rangers were in Cup finals and Scotland were doing France in Paris.

Don't forget the cause has not been helped by cup runners up getting into Europe and then losing to dross (Gretna, Dunfermline, QOS)

Whether we accept it or not the old firm have propped up our co-efficient and now they are faltering. This year Motherwell (who were 5th remember) beat 2 teams they should have before losing out tonight after missing a penalty (I know that wouldn't have put them theough but it could have changed the game), Dundee U losing 2-1 on aggregate to AEK is by no means a disgrace, Hibs defeat to Maribor and Celtic's performances have been shambles (personally I think due to 2 very inexperienced (and niave) managers at this level).

There is no doubt Rangers will struggle.

FWIW I think we are too weak a league so the only way we can catch teams out would be to start our league earlier, this way players would be much sharper rather than playing their first competitive match in a Euro tie (Dinamo Zagreb anyone?) whereas the opposition may struggle. But this brings in the old chestnut of Summer football and that's another ball game altogether!

As for next year, I wouldn't be surprised if all the Scottish clubs were out after one game or they all qualified for the group stages!

I agree entirely.

This constant failure in Europe is great for the SPL as it makes the playing field a little bit more level in terms of revenue.

All, of course, IMO.

I agree entirely.

This constant failure in Europe is great for the SPL as it makes the playing field a little bit more level in terms of revenue.

All, of course, IMO.

So things will be great when we become like the Welsh or Irish league? :unsure:

Francis Albert

So things will be great when we become like the Welsh or Irish league? :unsure:

We are a long way from becoming like the Irish or Welsh leagues. The huge problem with the Scottish game is OF dominance, which any Scottish success in Europe (given the CL riches) currently massively exacerbates. A decade or so of failure in Europe might just let other Scottish clubs compete better with the OF, and move Scotland in the direction of the Greek, Dutch and Danish examples, where the biggest teams win most of the time, but not always.

So be it. The SPL is not of good enough quality to merit any more than three european slots and as far as i am concerned if HMFC cannot reach third in this league then we do not deserve european football. Time and time and time again we see 'nobody's' from eastern europe rip apart Scottish sides and it is high time we accepted that the standard of football in this country is poor and no more than the top three sides should gain entry to european football.

It IS just the top 3 THIS season plus the Scottish Cup place.

1st Champions League 2nd Qualifying round*1

2nd Europa League 3rd Qualifying round

3rd Europa League 2nd Qualifying round

4th --

CW Europa League 3rd Qualifying round*2

*1 Will move up to the CL 3rd Qualifying Round for Champions if this season's Champions League winner (2010/11) is from associations 1-15 and qualifies from their domestic league.

*2 Will move up to the Europa League Play Off round if this season's Europa League winner qualifies for the Champions League.

We basically need Rangers to finish in the top 3 in their group, winning as many games as possible.

We also want the following clubs to do badly;

CFR Cluj (Romania), in the Champions League group with Bayern Munich, Roma and Basel.

Steaua Bucharest (Romania), Europa League.

Anderlecht (Belgium), Europa League.

Club Brugge (Belgium), Europa League.

Gent (Belgium), Europa League.

Basel (Switzerland), in the Champions League group with Bayern Munich, Roma and CFR Cluj.

Young Boys (Switzerland), Europa League.

Lausanne-Sport (Switzerland), Europa League.

Hapoel Tel Aviv (Israel), in the Champions League group with Lyon, Benfica and Schalke.

Red Bull Salzburg (Austria), Europa League.

Rapid Vienna (Austria), Europa League.

Sparta Prague (Czech Rep.), Europa League.

Scotland has to finish in the top 15 to get the 2 Champions League places back for season 2012/13, we are currently 15th. We finished 16th last season.

13th 24.491 Romania

14th 24.400 Belgium

15th 23.541 SCOTLAND

------------------------

16th 22.100 Switzerland

17th 21.000 Israel

18th 19.700 Austria

19th 18.850 Czech Rep.

Sadly Scottish football is awful.

I was hoping for United and Well to go through tonight. I dont support either, but as clubs go, at least their supporters are not glory hunting bigots ala Celtic and Rangers. We needed some form of success for Scottish based clubs this year as it will soon be impossible for our club to have any chance of a run in Europe.

I cannot back either of the old squirm as they are mainly responsible for the mess we are in.

The great transformation that Murray gave to Scottish football has screwed the entire country.

So well done to him and his sycophants in the media.

EDITED

1st Champions League 2nd Qualifying round*1

2nd Europa League 3rd Qualifying round

3rd Europa League 2nd Qualifying round

4th --

CW Europa League 3rd Qualifying round*2

*1 Will move up to the CL 3rd Qualifying Round for Champions if this season's Champions League winner (2010/11) is from associations 1-15 and qualifies from their domestic league.

*2 Will move up to the Europa League Play Off round if this season's Europa League winner qualifies for the Champions League.

We basically need Rangers to finish in the top 3 in their group, winning as many games as possible.

We also want the following clubs to do badly;

CFR Cluj (Romania), in the Champions League group with Bayern Munich, Roma and Basel.

Steaua Bucharest (Romania), Europa League group with Liverpool, Napoli and Utrecht.

Anderlecht (Belgium), Europa League group with Zenit, AEK Athens and Hajduk Split.

Club Brugge (Belgium), Europa League group with Villarreal, Dinamo Zagreb and PAOK.

Gent (Belgium), Europa League group with Sporting CP, Lille and Levski Sofia.

Basel (Switzerland), in the Champions League group with Bayern Munich, Roma and CFR Cluj.

Young Boys (Switzerland), Europa League group with Stuttgart, Getafe and Odense.

Lausanne-Sport (Switzerland), Europa League group with CSKA Moscow, Palermo and Sparta Prague.

Hapoel Tel Aviv (Israel), in the Champions League group with Lyon, Benfica and Schalke.

Red Bull Salzburg (Austria), Europa League group with Juventus, Manchester City and Lech Poznan.

Rapid Vienna (Austria), Europa League group with Porto, Besiktas and CSKA Sofia.

Sparta Prague (Czech Rep.), Europa League group with CSKA Moscow, Palermo and Lausanne-Sport.

Scotland has to finish in the top 15 to get the 2 Champions League places back for season 2012/13, we are currently 15th. We finished 16th last season.

13th 24.491 Romania

14th 24.400 Belgium

15th 23.541 SCOTLAND

------------------------

16th 22.100 Switzerland

17th 21.000 Israel

18th 19.700 Austria

19th 18.850 Czech Rep.

One of the problems is in 2 groups, there are 2 teams from the associations ranked 13-19 which means at least one of them will get points in each tie. This is the case for CFR Cluj and Basel in the Champions League and Lausanne-Sport and Sparta Prague in the Europa League.

The best results for us would be Cluj of Romania to win because they are ahead of Scotland anyway and Sparta Prague to beat LS because they are more unlikely to catch Scotland than the Swiss.

Scottish football is pish but does anyone really bother anymore?

Really?

I enjoy going along to the football and having a bevvy with my mates but couldn't really care how crap scottish football is.

I agree totally with this, Scottish fitba is all we have so lets us all just get on with it.

The Treasurer

I felt sorry for Motherwell and Dundee Utd.

Having to play in a league against pishy wee teams like sellik means they don't get the competitive games they need to compete in Europe laugh.gif

I agree entirely.

All, of course, IMO.

Agree also. If the coefficient gets so low that Celtic and Rangers never get a realistic chance to qualify for the CL group stages then it will be a price worth paying to level the playing field in the SPL.

You have to love JKB.

Threads creasing ourselves over fellow Scottish club's failure one day.

A thread bemoaning the poor quality of Scottish football the next.

I accept that individual posters are not being hypocritical. But where were some of you when other posters were adamantly defending their stance that it was better to briefly rejoice in our league opponents misery than consider that their success is better for Hearts?

We are the third biggest club in this country. Therefore we are always going to be there, or there abouts, when it comes to challenging for Europe. Last season was pretty dreadful and we still came within two games of qualifying. Granted we don't want our rivals to enjoy European success on a continued basis, but when we don't make it we need them to at least achieve respectability. Right now we are stability away from being able to finish in the top 4 or 5 every season. As it stands that means European football every season which is brilliant for the club and can only help us grow. However, as another poster mentioned, we could soon find that we need to finish 3rd every year to make Europe. A much, much harder task.

But it's fine. Just celebrate Celtic getting pumped. I bet you any money you won't even remember that result a year or so down the line. Why? Because it's happening all the time. It was hilarious when they were rogered by Bratislava because that was a rarity. Now it's just the norm. It's getting boring and, to be honest, a little sad.

Francis Albert

For the good of SCOTTISH football - we need Rangers to do well in Eurpope!!

Why? So the OF can make money in the CL? Because an extra Scottish club gets to play in (and probably lose money in) one or two rounds of the Europa League qualifiers? And, more interestingly, was that "Eurpope" deliberate? -clever if so!

A bit arrogant IMO to be shocked by tonight's results. AEK and Utrecht come from bigger, stronger leagues, and the possible exception Odense are less of a European minnow than Motherwell. The first step in making progress is is to recognise we are small country with shockingly poor infrastructure and coaching resources.

And every club in the country is to blame.

Oh no they are not.

Francis Albert

You have to love JKB.

Threads creasing ourselves over fellow Scottish club's failure one day.

A thread bemoaning the poor quality of Scottish football the next.

I accept that individual posters are not being hypocritical. But where were some of you when other posters were adamantly defending their stance that it was better to briefly rejoice in our league opponents misery than consider that their success is better for Hearts?

We are the third biggest club in this country. Therefore we are always going to be there, or there abouts, when it comes to challenging for Europe. Last season was pretty dreadful and we still came within two games of qualifying. Granted we don't want our rivals to enjoy European success on a continued basis, but when we don't make it we need them to at least achieve respectability. Right now we are stability away from being able to finish in the top 4 or 5 every season. As it stands that means European football every season which is brilliant for the club and can only help us grow. However, as another poster mentioned, we could soon find that we need to finish 3rd every year to make Europe. A much, much harder task.

But it's fine. Just celebrate Celtic getting pumped. I bet you any money you won't even remember that result a year or so down the line. Why? Because it's happening all the time. It was hilarious when they were rogered by Bratislava because that was a rarity. Now it's just the norm. It's getting boring and, to be honest, a little sad.

I'll take that bet.

But I actually think the obsession with "qualifying for Europe" is detrimental to the game. Clubs take the view that "qualifying for Europe" means they have had a successful season. I really don't understand measuring success by gaining entry to a competition you have no chance of winning and where the odds of getting through even the qualifying rounds are against. No-one is interested in the league cup because it doesn't come with a European place but I'd much rather win it than qualify to play in the qualifiers for the Europa League by finishing fourth or fifth in the league. Scottish clubs should be concentrating on trying to reduce the gap with the OF in the league (a real measure of success) and winning the cups, a task that is just made more difficult by OF success in Europe. Instead Scottish clubs deem finishing 20 or 30 points behind the OF as a cause for celebration just because it gets them a game or two in "Europe" in the same rounds as the likes of The New Saints or Shamrock Rovers

In case anyone isn't aware Scotland has only four European places for 2011/12. Only the Champions will get into Champions League qualifying with 2nd and 3rd going into Europa League qualifying. The final place in Europa League qualifying will go to either the Scottish Cup winners, Scottish Cup runners-up (if they lose to the League Champions) or 4th placed team.

Can you tell me what clubs are representing Luxembourg and Estonia in the champions league?

Exactly. I find it small minded and sad that people on here would revel in Scottish teams getting humped in Europe. All it means is our league becomes a joke and makes it harder and harder for us to qualify.

1 - The League is garbage thanks mostly to Rangers and Celtic dominating

2 - Rangers in particular were so desperate to bring on their own young players with Murray Park yet still insist on bringing in 3rd rate foreigners

3 - We, in Scotland pay the same subscriptions to Sky that the English do yet they get millions of squid, we get peanuts in comparison, we should shell out 50% less than that lot

and 4 - Maybe if more local folk supported their own clubs instead of financing Rangers and Celtic, we'd have a much more competitive League again like we did in the 80's.

These things have been the major problems with Scottish Football for years now but no-one in the SFA do a thing about it, as long as they've got their beloved oldfirm to cream themselves over, they're happy!

Finally, in the past, English clubs used to have a fair amount of Scottish players in their teams, now, instead of nurturing young players they'd rather bring in Africans or any other nationality, hence the reason the Scotland team is a total joke, half the players in the squad are barely good enough for club squads, never mind International teams!

While I'm not going to pretend to stand up for Celtic.... okay, I won't they were gash :lol:, I see a trend of anti-Scottish posts from the OP.

I reckon it will be a cold day in hell before Millwall get the chance to disgrace the European stage. A truly odious thuggish club, which the OP supports, while criticising the behaviour of Scottish International fans, and now our clubs.

Dundee Utd were a little bit unlucky, and certainly put up more of a fight against AEK than we did. Motherwell were perhaps a little bit out of their depth, but they were punching above their weight as Hearts weren't good enough to get the European place last year.

Hibs on the other hand, were completely outclassed by a team full of nobodies from a nothing club in a backwater country. However, you have to take into account that they have (I was going to say plenty, but they don't qualify too often) previous experience of embarrassing themselves in Europe e.g. remember when Valdas Ivanauskis' team, Vetra, put them out.

1 - The League is garbage thanks mostly to Rangers and Celtic dominating

2 - Rangers in particular were so desperate to bring on their own young players with Murray Park yet still insist on bringing in 3rd rate foreigners

3 - We, in Scotland pay the same subscriptions to Sky that the English do yet they get millions of squid, we get peanuts in comparison, we should shell out 50% less than that lot

and 4 - Maybe if more local folk supported their own clubs instead of financing Rangers and Celtic, we'd have a much more competitive League again like we did in the 80's.

These things have been the major problems with Scottish Football for years now but no-one in the SFA do a thing about it, as long as they've got their beloved oldfirm to cream themselves over, they're happy!

Finally, in the past, English clubs used to have a fair amount of Scottish players in their teams, now, instead of nurturing young players they'd rather bring in Africans or any other nationality, hence the reason the Scotland team is a total joke, half the players in the squad are barely good enough for club squads, never mind International teams!

Oh FFS,English clubs had Scottish players in their ranks because all they really had to pick from was the home nations and Ireland,now,as you say,the are picking up the best talent from around the bloody globe.

I don't really see where your getting this "total joke" from,we are a tiny nation of about 5-6 million,how the hell are we expected to turn out talent year in year out,FFs much larger countries than us fail to qualify year after year.

As for now blaming the english league system deary me.

Archived