What Ever Happened To This Famous Sign?

Swanny17

I have also had a copy of the print adorning my living room wall for years it is a really interesting picture and it reveals more and more each time you look at it.

Previous poster mentioned the Hobo being lifted and when you look closely each cop has an end of the scarf and it is wrapped round the degenerates neck and the cops have got him throttled. His mate is standing to one side scatching his head as if to say "Uh Duh how did that happen ?"

The board on the church with the religious message of the day says "Lift up your Hearts"

Evening kick-off and the crowd mostly in with the clock showing 25 past 7.

Well researched on the detail and whatever you look at the eye is drawn to the big sign that is almost making a proclamation - where you are and who we are. As a wee boy, actually not just a wee boy - all my life, when I walked past that sign the old heart used to swell with pride and it should have a place today.

The only inaccuracy is that the church does'nt have a clock :rolleyes:

The sign is now in protected air controlled storage (out near the airport somewhere) on behalf the club, who have indicated that they want it restored at some stage and used as a main gate when the old stand is redeveloped.

Friends of friends have it lovingly in their custody for when its required but its in a hell of a state because it lay under the Wheatfield stand for years.

Find that hard to believe tbh.

Hackney Hearts

... and out-dated almost immediately as Hearts fans wouldn't be using that entrance any more.

Well researched on the detail and whatever you look at the eye is drawn to the big sign that is almost making a proclamation - where you are and who we are. As a wee boy, actually not just a wee boy - all my life, when I walked past that sign the old heart used to swell with pride and it should have a place today.

Stirring stuff.

Best post I've read on here in ages :thumbsup:

New desktop background - Tremendous :)

As for the picture itself I remember it pretty much taking pride of place at home in the hall. Always nice to look at when you went by it :thumbsup:

postcardf.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My father had a similar one to this when I was growing up was black and white and was raining outside Tynie - Great Picture would love to get my hands on one.

I have both the pictures mentioned on this thread in my lounge- (Old ground view and Killie one) real quality prints :thumbsup:

Teuchterjambo

Ha Ha - good spot. :thumbsup:

Must have been inserted for atmospheric purposes,similarly it is unlikely the Cops would try and throttle a Hobo , well then again !!!!!

Buffalo Bill

postcardf.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Those grey, metallic bus stops were cool.

Craigyboy: that is just amazing.

Re the actual sign: once more, the club got something wrong. That beautiful and iconic sign was designed to specifically advertise and promote the club at its most public viewpoint.

To be fair, the club is well advertised on McLeod Street but they are missing a trick on Gorgie Road.

39.jpg

I asked the same question from the Club about 10 years ago and was advised that it was gone.

New desktop background - Tremendous :)

As for the picture itself I remember it pretty much taking pride of place at home in the hall. Always nice to look at when you went by it :thumbsup:

I have a wee black and white photo of myself and a mate sitting on the turnstile under the sign taken in 1958 {when I was 15}.I still get the same thrill standing outside Tynecastle as I did then!

Somewhere in my folks attic, I have some black and white pictures of the famous sign, as well as the likes of Henry Smith, Sandly Clark etc, so I'll ask them to dig them out.

If they're found, I'll scan them and post them on here.

:)

linkin- hearts

Another one with a Julie Ramsey here!

I loved that sign at Tynie back in the day. You always had to look that way as you passed on a bus!

I still do look for it when i pass the famous old ground.:thumbsup:

Clerry Jambo

Ach can add much more to what has already been posted, marvellous board which just brings back very fond memories walking along Gorgie Road and feeling the pride of being a Jambo :thumbsup:

But i wanna know who used to ride their motor cycles to the match as per the picture wi their scarf roond their neck :rolleyes:

Come on you lot someone must have :whistling:

the windae cleaner

Was there not a "Beware Of Pickpockets" sign there as well.

there also used to be a large solid brass nameplate where the original players entrance at the old stand

which said Heart of Midlothian fc lTD

Tynecastle Park Edinburgh 11

Registered office

some sneaky bugger made off with it in their school bag when they were building the brick extension

glad i skived teccy drawing that day ... :thumbsup:

Doctor FinnBarr

Ach can add much more to what has already been posted, marvellous board which just brings back very fond memories walking along Gorgie Road and feeling the pride of being a Jambo :thumbsup:

But i wanna know who used to ride their motor cycles to the match as per the picture wi their scarf roond their neck :rolleyes:

Come on you lot someone must have :whistling:

I sometimes used to take the bike until the neds couldn't leave it in peace when it was parked up, but never with a scarf flapping wildly!

:ninja:

Fantastic news to hear that the sign is still in existence and safe.

It should be that we (JKB) insist to the club that any new development of the new stand incorporate The Sign.

I'd contribute for its restoration too.

Doctor FinnBarr

Fantastic news to hear that the sign is still in existence and safe.

It should be that we (JKB) insist to the club that any new development of the new stand incorporate The Sign.

I'd contribute for its restoration too.

I'm in.

:thumbsup:

I would be happy to make a ?50 donation towards the restoration of this sign if a fund/account was set up.

As someone said we owe it too our Grandchildren.

Let me know.

I would also donate ?50 towards restoration and or erection of this Fine piece of artwork. If I could show my young kids one piece of HMFC Landmarks this would be it.

PS...... Sorry OP I have copied that pic and started printing :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gods a Jambo

My dad painted the Hearts sign on my bedroom wall in the 80's and then a 2nd time at a different house in the 90's.

Here is the 90's one.

A pure work of art that even made it into the newspapers.

HeartsSign1.jpg

HeartsSign2.jpg

That has to be one of the best decorating jobs I've ever seen! Class, a work of art!

Its been a long time baby

I still do look for it when i pass the famous old ground.:thumbsup:

Yep, every time I drive past I always look over and think of it being there. Liked when they put the Hearts badge at the back of the main stand a few years back, good feeling to drive past and look up and see your teams crest up there, just pity its not on a main road.

If everybody contacts the club it will highlight the importance of the sign to the HMFCs heritage.

Surely it would not be beyond the realms of possibility to recreate the sign.

Slightly of topic here folks....

When did HMFC LTD change to HMFC PLC ?????. Was it Mercer ( rip )or am I way out.

Gods a Jambo

Being born in Gorgie and brought up directly across the road from the entrance it was something i looked at every day. To hear that it is in storage is a surprise and a welcome one at that. I think Kickback should start a campaign to get the club to commit to including this in any stadium redevelopment, i know that like others i would be glad to pay something towards it restoration.

As side issue, this is probably the best thread i have read on here for a long time.

If everybody contacts the club it will highlight the importance of the sign to the HMFCs heritage.

Surely it would not be beyond the realms of possibility to recreate the sign.

I would like the origanal to be restored and put in its rightfull place, not some new thing ,I would not contribute ?? to that.

I asked the same question from the Club about 10 years ago and was advised that it was gone.

My understanding is that it was destroyed when they demolished the Gorgie Road end. The one seen behind the wheatfield was a much smaller metal replica that was made and used for a few years.

We should start a campaign to get one back is it used to be a stirring sight when passing on a bus along Gorgie Road.

The sign is iconic & should be re-established.

I'm absolutely positive that the fans would raise a fund to achieve such.

Anyone know a good artist? :whistling:

I would like the origanal to be restored and put in its rightfull place, not some new thing ,I would not contribute ?? to that.

Is that a Freudian slip in your post?

I would be very surprised if the "original" still exists, hence the suggestion of a replica being commissioned.

maroonedinbriz

I'd be willing to put ?50 towards restoration. Perhaps the supporters trust (HoMST) could take up the cause.

Fine Scottish Wine

I have recoloured the crest in Maroon. Better than the gold one?

If you like it then cool. Enjoy. :)

Anyway, back on track.

1) Is there any proof that the original is still out there. Does anyone have images of the original in it's place of storage.

2) Can people who have photos of this cultural icon post them as there are far too few images of this particular image around, there are really just the two that are regularly posted around the web and for a landmark that had such an impact on people who went past or under it that is just not enough (that and the fact i would like a nice big clear image myself as all of us do):)

I'd be willing to put ?50 towards restoration. Perhaps the supporters trust (HoMST) could take up the cause.

I would certainly donate. It was iconic. :thumbsup:

Colonel Kurtz

My understanding is that it was destroyed when they demolished the Gorgie Road end. The one seen behind the wheatfield was a much smaller metal replica that was made and used for a few years.

We should start a campaign to get one back is it used to be a stirring sight when passing on a bus along Gorgie Road.

This also my understanding.

I recall a dinner years ago when Bernard Hunter was talking about the demolition job,but drink that evening and time have perhaps eroded my recall

john brownlee

I have a few photos of the old sign my fav is my sons first maroon mini cooper parked in the street with the sign in the back ground

I also do Paintings of Players I'm doing the gangsta at the moment. I will do a good sized oils or acrylic painting. you can see from my avatar that from one of my water colours (The King of Hearts)about A2 size and finished on photoshop to the illustration you see.

If the photo is of a good standard and does not infringe copyright I will do one for a small fee.

Archived