What Ever Happened To This Famous Sign?

Swanny17

Id like to think it was taken down in one piece and carefully stored away somewhere under the Wheatfield.

...chances are tho it was torn down in bits due to some muppet at the Club not thinkin straight :verymad:

I agree. I'd love it to return.

A Design Classic.

Some years ago a young art student, I think, painted a Lowryesque of Tynecastle with the sign as a major part. I think prints are still doing the rounds. Does anyone else have any info on it, remember it, or even a pic of it to post on here?

I always got the feeling you were about to walk into a saloon when approaching it.

marshallschunkychicken

Some years ago a young art student, I think, painted a Lowryesque of Tynecastle with the sign as a major part. I think prints are still doing the rounds. Does anyone else have any info on it, remember it, or even a pic of it to post on here?

I've got a print of it on my hall wall. It's not great quality though.

I'm pretty sure better copies of it are still available.

doesnt some hearts fan have it in storage

I think so. Remember reading some guy had it in his garage or something. :ninja:

Francis Albert

Julie Ramsay is the artist - "Night Game" the title of the print. 1978 I think.

She also did one of the 1998 cup parade in Princes Street.

I too have a framed copy of that print on my hall wall. I'm sure they used to be on sale in the old Hearts shop (before the new superstore).

It's signed Julie Ramsay '78 in the bottom right corner.

Particularly like the hibs fan down the front getting strangled with his own scarf by 2 policewomen!

Captain Scarlett

Brings back great memories and some not so great, still brilliant to see it again all the same :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Got one on my living room wall

We have one up in the family home, too.

Nice that a few have the print in their hoose and thanks for the other info. I will have to try and source one. Anyone selling?

The original would be rather nice but expensive

Do you mean this one?

34i0120.jpg

Another one with a Julie Ramsey here!

I loved that sign at Tynie back in the day. You always had to look that way as you passed on a bus!

Do you mean this one?

34i0120.jpg

:lol:

I've had this picture hanging on my lounge wall for many years and it has been a great source of discussion with friends and neighbours.

If you look at the bottom left corner , just above the lady with the dog , you will see a Hobo being arrested by the cops

It was stored intact at the back of the Wheatfield for a while, and then disappeared. Too big to hide so I presume it went up in smoke somwhere. However, some of us had the foresight to take a decent picture of it in its' pomp :thumbsup: ...

Do you mean this one?

The very one and thanks to FSW also.

It would be nice to find out that some jambo somewhere has the original sign intact. Nice topic Swanny :thumbsup:

Craig Herbertson

I've had this picture hanging on my lounge wall for many years and it has been a great source of discussion with friends and neighbours.

If you look at the bottom left corner , just above the lady with the dog , you will see a Hobo being arrested by the cops

I miss that sign.I just tried Julie Ramsey's picture on the PC as background. It's brilliant.

the jambo poet

Even Dr Who's a jambo !!!

Sergio Garcia

Used to remember walking past a shop with this picture in it as a youngster thinking it was the greatest picture ever and when I grew up i was going buy it. I owe it to the young Elvis_Legend to make that happen!

Colonel Kurtz

Even Dr Who's a jambo !!!

I have a framed colour drawing of a Hearts Hibs match looking the old school end ,done by C Rankin

Bought it about 20 years ago in The picture shop in Nicholson Street

Would love to get my hands on one of those prints. Found some of her stuff online, but none of the Hearts stuff. If anyone knows if they're available anywhere then I'd love to know.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, a print is hanging up in my bedroom! I love that picture.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Has anyone got a picture of the Hearts v Kilmarnock (5-3) game? That was a smart photo!

I have a print of that picture hanging in my basement.

39.jpg

The sign is now in protected air controlled storage (out near the airport somewhere) on behalf the club, who have indicated that they want it restored at some stage and used as a main gate when the old stand is redeveloped.

Friends of friends have it lovingly in their custody for when its required but its in a hell of a state because it lay under the Wheatfield stand for years.

boy_in_maroon

Do you mean this one?

34i0120.jpg

Now being used as my Desktop background picture,

Big thanks for that :thumbsup:

The sign is now in protected air controlled storage (out near the airport somewhere) on behalf the club, who have indicated that they want it restored at some stage and used as a main gate when the old stand is redeveloped.

Friends of friends have it lovingly in their custody for when its required but its in a hell of a state because it lay under the Wheatfield stand for years.

Good news (not that it's in a state obviously, but that it has survived). Hopefully it'll be resurrected sooner rather than later.

Absolutely brilliant to know that its still about :teehee: Albeit in a bad condition. Never mind waiting for the new stand, I'd be getting it restored now, and have it up as soon as possible. Great news :D

When the sign was taken down I asked the Pieman (aka Chris Robinson) if it would be put back up somewhere. He looked incredulous and asked why I thought it important! Nae class! I am glad that it still exists and that there is a chance that it will see the light of day again. I consider it part of my heritage. And I also have the print on my wall.

Teuchterjambo

I have also had a copy of the print adorning my living room wall for years it is a really interesting picture and it reveals more and more each time you look at it.

Previous poster mentioned the Hobo being lifted and when you look closely each cop has an end of the scarf and it is wrapped round the degenerates neck and the cops have got him throttled. His mate is standing to one side scatching his head as if to say "Uh Duh how did that happen ?"

The board on the church with the religious message of the day says "Lift up your Hearts"

Evening kick-off and the crowd mostly in with the clock showing 25 past 7.

Well researched on the detail and whatever you look at the eye is drawn to the big sign that is almost making a proclamation - where you are and who we are. As a wee boy, actually not just a wee boy - all my life, when I walked past that sign the old heart used to swell with pride and it should have a place today.

scots civil war

wonderful,wonderful stuff...........

that is superb news that it is in storage

iirc,it was made up from planking or tongue and groove boards with the signwriting on them

no problem taking it all down........and even putting it back together,no bov

Perth to Paisley

I would be happy to make a ?50 donation towards the restoration of this sign if a fund/account was set up.

As someone said we owe it too our Grandchildren.

Let me know.

it would be great to see the sign back up at some point :thumbsup:

when my dad first started taking me to games as a youngster i remember that i always looked forward to seeing the sign before getting into the ground.

Midfield Terrier

Nice that a few have the print in their hoose and thanks for the other info. I will have to try and source one. Anyone selling?

The original would be rather nice but expensive

MacRaes of Gorgie have the pictures in stock. How do I know this? Julie is my big sister!

My dad painted the Hearts sign on my bedroom wall in the 80's and then a 2nd time at a different house in the 90's.

Here is the 90's one.

A pure work of art that even made it into the newspapers.

HeartsSign1.jpg

HeartsSign2.jpg

I too would happily contribute to the restoration of the famous old sign. It should be stuck onto the back of the Gorgie stand, so future generations will be able to see it as they pass on the bus!

Facebook page for the restoration folks?

As an aside, would the sign have to be changed? I mean, are we still a Ltd co?

It was stored intact at the back of the Wheatfield for a while, and then disappeared. Too big to hide so I presume it went up in smoke somwhere. However, some of us had the foresight to take a decent picture of it in its' pomp :thumbsup: ...

You don't fancy posting a decent quality copy on here we can all steal errr.......... copy, do you ?

heartgarfunkel

My dad painted the Hearts sign on my bedroom wall in the 80's and then a 2nd time at a different house in the 90's.

Here is the 90's one.

HeartsSign1.jpg

HeartsSign2.jpg

Absolutely SUPERB mate! :D That, is interior decorating done by a Hearts man

Here is the 90's one.

HeartsSign1.jpg

HeartsSign2.jpg

Your old man is a legend mate. Nice work. thumbsup.gif

As an aside, would the sign have to be changed? I mean, are we still a Ltd co?

It was already changed to 'Plc' before it came down (see my profile pic). It would actually be a nice touch to restore it to 'Ltd' if it gets put back up again, to give it the full historical gravitas.

Mcraes frame shop Gorgie road has the prints.

Got this up on my living room wall in ma hoose on the Costa del sol :thumbsup:

Archived