Scotland Squad.

Guest jambomickey

Guest JamboRobbo

Fully agreed. Weir should never have been asked back and I was not and still am not happy about it. More Christian Daillys, less Davie Weirs. He can get away with being the old man in SPL as the refs allow him to. International is another thing altogether and he's looked so past it in his last few games, it has been embarassing.

I agree Weir should no longer be playing for Scotland as he's pretty much past it.

On the other hand, the alternatives who are coming in to replace old men like Weir seem to get shown up for being completely out of their depth at interational level.

In the short term, Weir is a better option. If we want to forget trying to qualify for next tournament, and build a team for 2 or 4 years time, then I could see the sense in playing some of the younger guys and taking some more hammerings whilst trying to develop young talented players. But Levein would probably lose his job if he did it - just as Bertie Vogts...

Cannot for the life of me understand why players who cannot get a game for their league team should even be near the squad. And as for McGregor and Boyd. Disgrace for different reasons.

Indeed. Also just noticed that Velicka is listed in the Lithuanian squad. Not necessarily a bad thing from our perspective but you have to wonder at the logic applied by those who pick these players...

As for us, Weir I can (reluctantly) understand but Broadfoot? Come on. :unsure:

Indeed. Also just noticed that Velicka is listed in the Lithuanian squad. Not necessarily a bad thing from our perspective but you have to wonder at the logic applied by those who pick these players...

As for us, Weir I can (reluctantly) understand but Broadfoot? Come on. :unsure:

Plays for the OF so has to be included.

Shiting myself now after seeing their team,wish I wasn't going now.

As for broadfoot,think CL gave you all you need to know,he's versatile,TBH if we had 2 decent players for every position,clubfoot would be nowhere near the squad.

I think he just means because of lack of games. He hasn't even been on the bench for Rangers (after a quick check on BBC, so I could be wrong). Needs to get himself a move.

Not sure about Temps - he turned 21 during last season - not quite sure how the cutp-off dates work. If he's available then it's ridiculous that he and Thomson aren't quoted.

He was injured. Apparently he's back in contention for this weekend's match.

Fully agreed. Weir should never have been asked back and I was not and still am not happy about it. More Christian Daillys, less Davie Weirs. He can get away with being the old man in SPL as the refs allow him to. International is another thing altogether and he's looked so past it in his last few games, it has been embarassing.

In his last few games? The last few games Weir has played (IIRC) have been Norway (h), Macedonia (h) and Netherlands (h). Apart from the error that cost us a goal against Holland, he strolled through these matches (we conceded no other goals) and the defence looked far more settled with him in the side. None of our defenders have pace, but Weir's reading of the game means he makes up for it to a degree.

With Weir (WC campaign) - 3 games, 1 goal conceded.

Without Weir - 5 games, 10 goals conceded

willie wallace

I am bit disappointed that Levein dropped a decent Scottish keeper in favour of a decent English keeper.I know his assistant has been searching all over for players with Scottish links but is Matt Gilks much better than Neil Alexander,i am not so sure.

Archived