Scotland Squad.

Guest jambomickey

heartsfc_fan

Is this the first Aberdeen player (apart from Lee Miller when he was there) to be included in a squad for about 20 years? :rolleyes:

davie weir and paul hartley are included by levein.

I would sincerely hope that Weir is along for the training and advice side of things. Hartley would be in my squad every day of the week.

rossthejambo

Charlie Adam (Blackpool)

Christophe Berra (Wolves)

Kris Boyd (Middlesbrough)

Kirk Broadfoot (Rangers)

Scott Brown (Celtic)

Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion)

Darren Fletcher (Manchester United)

Steven Fletcher (Wolves)*

Matt Gilks (Blackpool)

Paul Hartley (Aberdeen)

Alan Hutton (Tottenham Hotspur)*

Chris Iwelumo (Burnley)

David Marshall (Cardiff City)

Lee McCulloch (Rangers)

James McFadden (Birmingham City)

Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Stephen McManus (Middlesbrough)

Kevin McNaughton (Cardiff City)*

Kenny Miller (Rangers)

James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion)

Steven Naismith (Rangers)

Barry Robson (Middlesbrough)

Lee Wallace (Heart of Midlothian)

Andy Webster (Rangers)

David Weir (Rangers)

Steven Whittaker (Rangers)

* These players may be available for Liechtenstein game depending on fitness status

How Broadfoot gets a call-up I've no idea, he's bloody chronic. Don't even get me started on Weir and McCulloch being there <_<

Interesting to see the Blackpool 'keeper getting a call up.

Patrick Bateman

I really hope we blood the likes of Danny Wilson and Tom Cairney as soon as possible so they can get much needed experience.

The Treasurer

Bad as that squad is there's not really many I can think of that would improve it, such is the lack of quality available.

Still no excuse for including Boyd and McGregor though

I suppose i can understand Hartley, but weir??

Why oh Why do Scottish managers not even sideways glance at Scottish talent (usually) unless they are in the old firm..

Kris Boyd at Kilmarnock could have done a job for Scotland, but no we had to wait till he was bought by one of the ugly sisters before he was considered.

Bad as that squad is there's not really many I can think of that would improve it, such is the lack of quality available.

I would have liked to have seen a core of about 18 known players but then some of the better youth players brought in for the experience - guys like Templeton, Wotherspoon, Forrest, Fleck, Goodwillie etc. Not saying they should be thrown in but no harm in having a couple of guys like Temps on the bench to take players on in the last 20 minutes against Liechstenstein is there?

alwaysthereinspirit

I would have liked to have seen a core of about 18 known players but then some of the better youth players brought in for the experience - guys like Templeton, Wotherspoon, Forrest, Fleck, Goodwillie etc. Not saying they should be thrown in but no harm in having a couple of guys like Temps on the bench to take players on in the last 20 minutes against Liechstenstein is there?

You were doing OK till you wrote Fleck. Is he still world class? I thought I remembered reading that on here a while back.

Squad would and will look better with Driver and Gordon in it.

Apart from that, not sure I agree with all the above names but yeh why not. There's McArthur too and Cairney and Wilson were mentioned above. Barry Bannan is getting quoted at Villa now too. Nowt wrong with taking them along. There are a few in the squad I just don't see getting a game, so someone gaining from the experience will help us in future years.

Just looking at the u21 squad and I can't believe Craig T isn't in it. Can't get my head round that one, I have to say. We don't have many other candidates I don't think but Craigy should be in there for my money (Robinson, Holt and Walker are in the u19s)

Goalkeepers

Jamie Barclay (Falkirk)

Scott Gallacher (Rangers*)

Alan Martin (Leeds United**)

Defenders

Paul Caddis (Swindon Town)

Paul Hanlon (Hibernian)

Jason Marr (Celtic***)

Ross Perry (Rangers)

Steven Saunders (Motherwell)

Thomas Scobbie (Falkirk)

Daniel Wilson (Liverpool)

Midfield

Scott Arfield (Huddersfield Town)

Barry Bannan (Aston Villa)

Paul Coutts (Preston North End)

Murray Davidson (St Johnstone)

Stephen McGinn (Watford)

Andrew Shinnie (Rangers)

David Wotherspoon (Hibernian)

Forwards

James Forrest (Celtic)

David Goodwillie (Dundee United)

Leigh Griffiths (Dundee)

Chris Maguire (Aberdeen)

Jamie Murphy (Motherwell)

*On loan to Forfar

** On loan to Barrow

*** On loan to Falkirk

Midloth_Iain

Best available team from that lot would be :

The Cheat

Whittaker * - Grandad - Berra - Wallace

Hartley

Brown - D.Fletcher

Dorrans - McFadden

Miller

* on the basis that Hutton will probably not make it

rossthejambo

Best from that squad:

McGregor

Whittaker Webster Berra Wallace

Brown Hartley D.Fletcher McFadden

Dorrans

Miller

I'd sooner be playing Driver, Gordon, S.Fletcher and Hutton but unfortunately got to make do.

I must add that I don't think that's how Levein will go. Weir is bound to get picked dry.gif

I suppose it goes to prove that Celtic are a team full of foreigners now that Hearts have the same number of players as Hearts in the full Scotland squad.. And as usual the flair team have nobody.. despite Nevin telling anyone who will listen that Riordan is the best finisher in the league.

It is a bit disappointing though that we have nobody of enough quality for the under 21's.. hopefully with a good season a could of our youngsters will break into the U21 squad..

Best available team from that lot would be :

The Cheat

Whittaker * - Grandad - Berra - Wallace

Hartley

Brown - D.Fletcher

Dorrans - McFadden

Miller

* on the basis that Hutton will probably not make it

Aye, I'd probably agree with that. I do like Steven Fletch as a player, but the above is about the team for me. I'd replace Weir in that team but with whom is the prob. Webster seems the obvious but he isn't playing*

*Smith believes Webster is a good player but doesn't have enough of an "OF mentality". He is very unlikely to get much of a shout unless things change personnel wise at Ibrox.

Thundercats Are Go

Possible because Boyd can score goals and McGregor is a decent keeper.

We get you dont like anything to do with Rangers but why leave out people who can only help.

rossthejambo

Aye, I'd probably agree with that. I do like Steven Fletch as a player, but the above is about the team for me. I'd replace Weir in that team but with whom is the prob. Webster seems the obvious but he isn't playing*

*Smith believes Webster is a good player but doesn't have enough of an "OF mentality". He is very unlikely to get much of a shout unless things change personnel wise at Ibrox.

He doesn't have an OF mentality?!

Is screwing your club out of millions of pound so that you can play for Rangers not a good enough mentality these days? :whistling:

He doesn't have an OF mentality?!

Is screwing your club out of millions of pound so that you can play for Rangers not a good enough mentality these days? :whistling:

That's what i'd have thought!! Also elbowing a 17 yearold (Scott Robinson) in the face in a friendly match, almost breaking his jaw. I'd have thought these types of things would add up to the perfect OF player, but Uncle Wattie just doesn't fancy him as having the fortitude - for want of a better word - that's needed to play regularly for der hun. But Lafferty does?? Go figure!

Ah well, yet more misery piled on to that waste of skin and talent which Webster most certainly is. The only downside to it is that waste of talent as we are a bit bereft of it at centre half for Scotland at the mo.

rossthejambo

David Weir, at the age of 40, is still our best CB.

Surely you're joking right?

Berra has to be the best CB at the moment.

Correct (well best as in good enough for the squad, probably play for a good 60 mins too).

Also.... we should be 'blooding' youngsters through in friendlies not qualifiers.... these are the only games Scotland play that matter... until we finally get through a qualification campaign.

rossthejambo

That's what i'd have thought!! Also elbowing a 17 yearold (Scott Robinson) in the face in a friendly match, almost breaking his jaw. I'd have thought these types of things would add up to the perfect OF player, but Uncle Wattie just doesn't fancy him as having the fortitude - for want of a better word - that's needed to play regularly for der hun. But Lafferty does?? Go figure!

Ah well, yet more misery piled on to that waste of skin and talent which Webster most certainly is. The only downside to it is that waste of talent as we are a bit bereft of it at centre half for Scotland at the mo.

It couldn't happen to a more deserving player really IMO :D

Surely you're joking right?

Berra has to be the best CB at the moment.

No.

When Walter Smith took over Scotland and brought Weir back the defence immediately looked more solid. Our defence looked shite in the last campaign before Weir was brought back in and tere was a massive improvement.

It's a sad fact but he's still our best.

Frankenstein Jambo.

No.

When Walter Smith took over Scotland and brought Weir back the defence immediately looked more solid. Our defence looked shite in the last campaign before Weir was brought back in and tere was a massive improvement.

It's a sad fact but he's still our best.

Webster, Danny Wilson and Berra are all better than weir. That is a fact.

The Treasurer

Possible because Boyd can score goals and McGregor is a decent keeper.

We get you dont like anything to do with Rangers but why leave out people who can only help.

It has nothing to do with who they play for.

One disgraced the country with his behaviour and was (rightly) banned for "life"

The other has decided to pick and choose when (or who) he plays for the national team.

Whatever happened to "no-one is bigger than the team"

mikescotland

I think Weir alongside Berra is a good shout. Weir's much slower than he ever has been, but he seems to bring the best out in those around him and organises the defence well. No doubts over fitness like Webster either. Sad to say, but I'd have Weir as one of the first names on the teamsheet.

I'm guessing the number of Celtic players in the squad will have large articles in the press about how they're ruining our chances of qualification by signing all these foreigners?

We currently have enough young players that could be moulded into one of the best scotland team for years but we need to say 'shove the Euro's in 2010, we are building a team for the 2014 world cup'!

If you have a squad of

Craig Gordon

Alan Hutton

Lee Wallace

Danny Wilson

Christophe Berra

Steven Whittaker

Paul Dixon

Graham Dorrans

Kris Commons

Darren Fletcher

Andy Driver

Scott Brown

JamesMorrison

Ross McCormack

Steven Fletcher

David Goodwillie

Steven Naismith

bulk out that squad with players from the 21's and give them licence to form a team and the freedom to play and attack other teams regardless of the results!

Come the qualifiers for WC2014 we would have built a team to try and compete and not to be everyones favourite loser as usual!

There is no point whatsoever in calling up a 40yr old man for International Football, there are a whole host of international managers that are younger than that FFS!

Short shighted GFA crap as usual, no wonder more and more fans couldn't give a flying about the national team anymore!

Webster, Danny Wilson and Berra are all better than weir. That is a fact.

Yes, but it's a 'Heartsfc1210' fact. Which makes it bollocks.:thumbsup:

Webster is arguable. Danny Wilson and Christophe Berra are certainly not better than Weir.

Webster is arguable. Danny Wilson and Christophe Berra are certainly not better than Weir.

They will be 12 months from now when weir has retired or dropped to the 3rd division!

rossthejambo

Danny Wilson really isn't better than Weir. Not yet anyway.

I'd argue that, technically, Webster and Berra are better. Weir knows how to organise a defence and that's why he'll be picked.

as sad as that is I agree. play him with berraand Id be happy enough

webster doesnt cut it for me and as for kenneth...thank god he has been cut from the squad

We currently have enough young players that could be moulded into one of the best scotland team for years but we need to say 'shove the Euro's in 2010, we are building a team for the 2014 world cup'!

If you have a squad of

Craig Gordon

Alan Hutton

Lee Wallace

Danny Wilson

Christophe Berra

Steven Whittaker

Paul Dixon

Graham Dorrans

Kris Commons

Darren Fletcher

Andy Driver

Scott Brown

JamesMorrison

Ross McCormack

Steven Fletcher

David Goodwillie

Steven Naismith

bulk out that squad with players from the 21's and give them licence to form a team and the freedom to play and attack other teams regardless of the results!

Come the qualifiers for WC2014 we would have built a team to try and compete and not to be everyones favourite loser as usual!

There is no point whatsoever in calling up a 40yr old man for International Football, there are a whole host of international managers that are younger than that FFS!

Short shighted GFA crap as usual, no wonder more and more fans couldn't give a flying about the national team anymore!

Kenny Miller has to be in the squad. For me, he's the best option we have up front

Weir is the best right sided CH we have available (Berra, Webster and McMcnaus all left sided), and since Lithuania is a must win game he is rightly included. When Caldwell is available again I'd imagine he'll drop out. CH is our worst position at teh moment and we do need to identify better, but Garry Kenneth is no the answer.

We_are_the_Hearts

Weir had to come back as there was no organisation at the back against Sweden. If we were playing Spain or the Caechs then you would worry about his lack of pace but against Lithuania and Lichtenstein he can keep us organised and compact and make sure we don;t concede any gifts. Get Berra beside him for pace and Hutton (Fit?) and Wallace at Full back.......same could be said for the midfield which left acres of space behind it and failed to track runners. Hartley could defo do the sitting job in there and allow the others to get forward more.

Team along the lines of:

........McGregor..........

Hutton-Weir-Berra-Wallace

........Hartley............

Morrison-D Fletcher-Dorrans-McFadden

...........Miller..................

Kenny Miller has to be in the squad. For me, he's the best option we have up front

Currently I agree he is our best striker but the squad I listed would be the squad if you were building for the 2014 WC, doubt Millers hamstrings will allow him to continue playing at an international level when he's 34!

Smoked-Glass

you always get to take more than you need so hence why there are so many players there. Some are just for cover if we get injuries or suspensions.

Craig gordon is already out so that's why mcgregor is in there

AT LEAST THE CALDWELL'S ARENY THERE :thumbsup:

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

Going by that squad, I would expect the team for the Lithuania game to be something like:

McGregor

Whittaker Weir McManus Wallace

Brown Fletcher Dorrans

Robson Miller McFadden

Has Webster played for Rangers yet.If not he should be nowhere near the squad.What age is Templeton,does he not qualify for the under 21 squad.

Bert Le Clos

Has Webster played for Rangers yet.If not he should be nowhere near the squad.What age is Templeton,does he not qualify for the under 21 squad.

Why not? He was in the Scotland squad when he playd for Hearts. He played very well for Dundee Utd last season.

Like it or not, he's one of ur best centre-halfs.

I'd have him partnering Berra before Weir.

Why not? He was in the Scotland squad when he playd for Hearts. He played very well for Dundee Utd last season.

Like it or not, he's one of ur best centre-halfs.

I'd have him partnering Berra before Weir.

I think he just means because of lack of games. He hasn't even been on the bench for Rangers (after a quick check on BBC, so I could be wrong). Needs to get himself a move.

Not sure about Temps - he turned 21 during last season - not quite sure how the cutp-off dates work. If he's available then it's ridiculous that he and Thomson aren't quoted.

Weir should never have been allowed back after he spit the dummy out after the Faroes game. In any case I've lost count of how many goals he has cost Scotland due to his lack of pace - and that's just before he turned 30. He might get away with it against the likes of Hamilton and Kilmarnock - but he gets truly found out at international level.

Cannot for the life of me understand why players who cannot get a game for their league team should even be near the squad. And as for McGregor and Boyd. Disgrace for different reasons.

Auld Reekin'

http://www2.omnitel....010.html#100824

A few familiar names in the Lithuanian squad, dont think it will be too long before Novikovas joins them after last nights display.

And one (or two, if you include his less famous - on this forum, anyway :whistling: - brother!) from the Belarus team that beat them 0-2 in a recent friendly: Viacheslav HLEB [shenzhen Ruby (CHN)] :woot:

Novikovas was great last night. If he turns in similar performances on a consistent basis against SPL opposition, then he'll soon be a regular in the full Lithuanian squad.

Weir should never have been allowed back after he spit the dummy out after the Faroes game. In any case I've lost count of how many goals he has cost Scotland due to his lack of pace - and that's just before he turned 30. He might get away with it against the likes of Hamilton and Kilmarnock - but he gets truly found out at international level.

Fully agreed. Weir should never have been asked back and I was not and still am not happy about it. More Christian Daillys, less Davie Weirs. He can get away with being the old man in SPL as the refs allow him to. International is another thing altogether and he's looked so past it in his last few games, it has been embarassing.

And as for McGregor and Boyd. Disgrace for different reasons.

It total agreement here too. If you turn your back, it should stay turned.

I don't mind the likes of Chris Burke who has had terrible injury problems and I think some family stuff asking not to be selected for the time being. Players are people. But the likes of Boyd, Weir, McCulloch and the rest who spat dummies and basically pissed on their country can stay fekt off. Still support Scotland and I'll cheer if any of these guys score and that, but bad taste that Levein and previous managers have touched their toes for them

Archived