Scottish Identity

The Broo

menstrie1874

Maybe it was just me but i like it when the inernationals are on and most of our first 11 are away on duty. I know its been a few years since this has happened but can see it happening soon again.

Charlie-Brown

Apart from 3 or 4 the Liths were crap.

I really hate this fricking Lithuanian love-in on here.

Where are all these turkeys playing now ?

It's hardly a love-in DH that's stretching it way too far especially when there was umpteen thousand threads criticising them as individual players & slagging them off etc.

However they did also contribute to some very enjoyable and memorable moments that were some of the more pleasant highlights since the last cup win.

Iva-choo-choo scored in our biggest league victories over the Old Firm in many decades with 3-1 wins at parkhead and 4-2 over Rangers at Tynie, Velicka's fantastic double to secure our first cup win at parkhead in over half a century, Jankauskas goal from Zibby's fumble and Miko's screamer to win 3-2 over the Muppets in the ill-tempered 'Pub-team' Boxing day derby match, Zaliukas glorius winner at Fester to ruin their wee cup victory celebrations ..... Velicka was also the last hearts striker to score into double figures in consecutive seasons including vital goals home & away against Rangers, Hibs & Celtic something no Hearts striker since Robbo has managed so it was hardly all bad ...... Iam sure many other johnny-foreigner types took a lot more out of the club and put a lot less back in?

Drylaw Hearts

It's hardly a love-in DH that's stretching it way too far especially when there was umpteen thousand threads criticising them as individual players & slagging them off etc.

However they did also contribute to some very enjoyable and memorable moments that were some of the more pleasant highlights since the last cup win.

Iva-choo-choo scored in our biggest league victories over the Old Firm in many decades with 3-1 wins at parkhead and 4-2 over Rangers at Tynie, Velicka's fantastic double to secure our first cup win at parkhead in over half a century, Jankauskas goal from Zibby's fumble and Miko's screamer to win 3-2 over the Muppets in the ill-tempered 'Pub-team' Boxing day derby match, Zaliukas glorius winner at Fester to ruin their wee cup victory celebrations ..... Velicka was also the last hearts striker to score into double figures in consecutive seasons including vital goals home & away against Rangers, Hibs & Celtic something no Hearts striker since Robbo has managed so it was hardly all bad ...... Iam sure many other johnny-foreigner types took a lot more out of the club and put a lot less back in?

There is a Lithuanian love-in from some and I don't know why cause the majority of them were donkey dung.

Kurkis is the most vile excuse for a goalkeeper I have seen in nearly 30 years of watching Hearts, Barasa was a huddy, Kanchelskis had more fouls than touches of the ball, No.28 and Pillowbiter were just stinking, Miko and Chesney barely turned up in most of the matches they played and Cinikas was so far out his depth he should have wore a frog suit over his strip. Kizys had one decent match at Parkhead whilst Audrey and Bennyuseless were just another 2 Liths who should never have left Kaunas.

I frickin hated watching all these utter donkeys getting a game because of where they were born.

Zal, Velicka and Jank all made reasonable to very good contributions to the side.

Also....

Of course thre have been many other foreign players who took money from the club with very little return but they were purchased for their apparent ability and not because of where their nationality.

With the exception of Arkadiusz Klimeck who was only brought to the club because he could sit on a horse.

Charlie-Brown

There is a Lithuanian love-in from some and I don't know why cause the majority of them were donkey dung.

Kurkis is the most vile excuse for a goalkeeper I have seen in nearly 30 years of watching Hearts, Barasa was a huddy, Kanchelskis had more fouls than touches of the ball, No.28 and Pillowbiter were just stinking, Miko and Chesney barely turned up in most of the matches they played and Cinikas was so far out his depth he should have wore a frog suit over his strip. Kizys had one decent match at Parkhead whilst Audrey and Bennyuseless were just another 2 Liths who should never have left Kaunas.

I frickin hated watching all these utter donkeys getting a game because of where they were born.

Zal, Velicka and Jank all made reasonable to very good contributions to the side.

Also....

Of course thre have been many other foreign players who took money from the club with very little return but they were purchased for their apparent ability and not because of where their nationality.

With the exception of Arkadiusz Klimeck who was only brought to the club because he could sit on a horse.

Pillowbiters goal that knocked the Sticky Buns out of the Champions League was one of the funniest things ever unless of course to those few saddo's that wanted Kaunas to lose 10-0 ...... however if you want to look deeper for a supposed Lithuanian love-in well the next time you sit in your seat at Tynie remember the only reason you can still do that is because of some rich football enthusiast aka 'mad one' from Lithuania made that possible and kept the wrecking ball from Tynie that our previous Scottish owners, Scottish Media & Financial shareholders and Scottish bank would have rather seen turned into Cala Homes as that suited their financial interests...... so maybe watching a few extra duffers as well as Robbie Neilson was a small price to pay?

Also....

Helped your post a wee bit there.

This was a good positive thread started by Broo. You've ruined it. You are a gomeral of the highest order and no mistaking.

I think it's great to see Hearts playing a good few Scots now and I think our predicted first XI will have 6 or 7 each week.

Kello

CraigT

Zal

Bouzid

Lee

Temps

Stevo

Eggy

Driver

Kyle

Elliot(t)

That's 7 if Calum plays. It'd be 6 if Elliott plays. Barr will be in and about the team too, as will Black, probably on occasion

As some have said, don't care where they're from as long as they produce, but I do like seeing our boys play for Scotland and I like to think that Hearts can help Scottish football in general. Lee and Driver are the only candidates just now but Kyle might push and our younger ones, you never know.

Drylaw Hearts

Pillowbiters goal that knocked the Sticky Buns out of the Champions League was one of the funniest things ever unless of course to those few saddo's that wanted Kaunas to lose 10-0 ...... however if you want to look deeper for a supposed Lithuanian love-in well the next time you sit in your seat at Tynie remember the only reason you can still do that is because of some rich football enthusiast aka 'mad one' from Lithuania made that possible and kept the wrecking ball from Tynie that our previous Scottish owners, Scottish Media & Financial shareholders and Scottish bank would have rather seen turned into Cala Homes as that suited their financial interests...... so maybe watching a few extra duffers as well as Robbie Neilson was a small price to pay?

What Pillow did for FBK barely registers with me - he was dog crap for Hearts and most definitely not good enough.

Regarding the love-in for VR - I can fully understand that and I'm as grateful as anyone for him saving Tynecastle. It doesn't mean I have to love all his other his decisions and it certainly doesn't mean his countrymen deserve some sort of special treatment from the fans.

We may have to accept that we're going to get lumbered with the odd donkey from the VR files but it doesn't mean we have to like it.

What Pillow did for FBK barely registers with me - he was dog crap for Hearts and most definitely not good enough.

Regarding the love-in for VR - I can fully understand that and I'm as grateful as anyone for him saving Tynecastle. It doesn't mean I have to love all his other his decisions and it certainly doesn't mean his countrymen deserve some sort of special treatment from the fans.

We may have to accept that we're going to get lumbered with the odd donkey from the VR files but it doesn't mean we have to like it.

But it does mean we have to discuss it on every thread?

It's relevant to this thread imo.

If your agenda is to turn everything positive into something negative even if you have to delve into the past to do so

Getintaethem

Seem to remember Vlad saying in an interview that bringing in the Eastern Europeans was a short term measure until the money invested in the youth set up bore fruit and young scottish talent could emerge. When Burley first came in he bemoaned the fact that there was very little talent coming through from the youth ranks. Five years on and we are now seeing the near ?2M investment in our youth system begin to pay off. We have seen the likes of C.Thomson (still only 19), Templeton, Robinson and Novikovas break into the first team. Add to this the likes of McGowan, J.Thomson and Smith who have yet to make their mark on the first team and you can see that we have a good young batch of players coming through. The next batch is already performing superbly at u19 level, the likes of Jamie Walker and Pyrechenko (sp?) are exciting talents, I'm sure FF could name a few more.

The bottom line is now that we are producing our own, we no longer need the influx of cheap Eastern Europeans. There will still be signings from this region but not in the same numbers. We appear to be taking them at a far earlier age and letting them work up through our youth ranks. e.g Novikovas, Snapkauskas (really hope he makes it and debuts against Hibs) and Pyrechenko (sp? again).

I agree that the short term swamping of the club was detrimental but feel that it was seen as a cheap option until the right youth structure was in place. Lets be honest it didnt prove to disasterous, last season was the worst in those 5 years and we have qualified for Europe a couple of times too.

I think the club is in good shape just now and the next five years could be surprisingly good. :thumbsup:

Seem to remember Vlad saying in an interview that bringing in the Eastern Europeans was a short term measure until the money invested in the youth set up bore fruit and young scottish talent could emerge. When Burley first came in he bemoaned the fact that there was very little talent coming through from the youth ranks. Five years on and we are now seeing the near ?2M investment in our youth system begin to pay off. We have seen the likes of C.Thomson (still only 19), Templeton, Robinson and Novikovas break into the first team. Add to this the likes of McGowan, J.Thomson and Smith who have yet to make their mark on the first team and you can see that we have a good young batch of players coming through. The next batch is already performing superbly at u19 level, the likes of Jamie Walker and Pyrechenko (sp?) are exciting talents, I'm sure FF could name a few more.

The bottom line is now that we are producing our own, we no longer need the influx of cheap Eastern Europeans. There will still be signings from this region but not in the same numbers. We appear to be taking them at a far earlier age and letting them work up through our youth ranks. e.g Novikovas, Snapkauskas (really hope he makes it and debuts against Hibs) and Pyrechenko (sp? again).

I agree that the short term swamping of the club was detrimental but feel that it was seen as a cheap option until the right youth structure was in place. Lets be honest it didnt prove to disasterous, last season was the worst in those 5 years and we have qualified for Europe a couple of times too.

I think the club is in good shape just now and the next five years could be surprisingly good. :thumbsup:

I agree with all that and I do hope that the plan is as well structured as all that.

Only minor point, the season we came 8th was worse than last season. And in a way, last season was good in that we got JJ and rid of a lot of deadwood and expense. Also bled some younger ones. None of that really happened in the season we came 8th (or not in the right way)

Getintaethem

I agree with all that and I do hope that the plan is as well structured as all that.

Only minor point, the season we came 8th was worse than last season. And in a way, last season was good in that we got JJ and rid of a lot of deadwood and expense. Also bled some younger ones. None of that really happened in the season we came 8th (or not in the right way)

You are of course right about the 8th place finish being the worst placing but early last season under Csaba was the lowest point for me, wasn't even bothered about going to the games to watch negative boring dross. This season is totally different however can't wait for the next game to come around. Some of that is to do with JJ he's given us stability and a more attack-minded team aswell as better quality signings, but alot of it is to do with the potential of the youngsters coming through.

'Mon the Hearts :thumbs_up:

You are of course right about the 8th place finish being the worst placing but early last season under Csaba was the lowest point for me, wasn't even bothered about going to the games to watch negative boring dross. This season is totally different however can't wait for the next game to come around. Some of that is to do with JJ he's given us stability and a more attack-minded team aswell as better quality signings, but alot of it is to do with the potential of the youngsters coming through.

'Mon the Hearts :thumbs_up:

Aye, see what you mean but the 8th season just seemed like the whole thing was going chebs up and all the early promise had fully evaporated. Didn't feel like Hearts. Last season, we just had a crap manager!!!

Anyway, minor points! I'm fully in agreement that it's looking good. Only unfortunate thing for me was I was at home for the 8th season and now I'm abroad! Sod's law!

Commander Harris

I think that philosophy was mentioned a short while after he realised that promoting Lithuanian players might not be the money maker he had hoped.?:)

I don't mind who wears our jersey as long as they do it with the right attitude (if they can play football that would also be nice) but I do think it's very important that we keep some sort of local or Scottish nucleus. Aside from the fact that I want the national side to benefit from a raft of quality players brought through the ranks of the club I support, I also like the idea of kids growing up and wanting to be part of something they view as being part of the city and country in which they live. Football creates heroes and there are few better than the 'local boy done good' sorts.?

Plus, while some foreign players have taken to the culture of Hearts like ducks to water (Fyssas springs to mind) there's still something to be said for those who have lived the same sort of life in the same sort of places with the same sort of experiences as those who sit in the stands.?

indeedily do. ?I'd echo all that. ?

While winning is of course the main priority, and in that respect it doesn't matter a jot to me where players are from, I do think it is very important for players, Scottish or otherwise, to buy into the culture of the club. ?Having a core group of local players is key in this regard. ?

For me it's not even a question of Scottish Identity, but a local identity that supporters can relate to. ? Speaking generally it seems to me that the problem at many clubs in relation to the question of an identity that supporters can relate to is not primarily a question of nationality but more to do with the huge turnaround in players. ?No longer do you get a core group of players that stay together at the same club for a significant period of time. ?I think this is something that has turned quite a few people off in recent years, yes the quality of football is poor but I don't think we can overestimate the importance of the tribal nature of football and the importance of identity to supporters. ?

indeedily do. ?I'd echo all that. ?

While winning is of course the main priority, and in that respect it doesn't matter a jot to me where players are from, I do think it is very important for players, Scottish or otherwise, to buy into the culture of the club. ?Having a core group of local players is key in this regard. ?

For me it's not even a question of Scottish Identity, but a local identity that supporters can relate to. ? Speaking generally it seems to me that the problem at many clubs in relation to the question of an identity that supporters can relate to is not primarily a question of nationality but more to do with the huge turnaround in players. ?No longer do you get a core group of players that stay together at the same club for a significant period of time. ?I think this is something that has turned quite a few people off in recent years, yes the quality of football is poor but I don't think we can overestimate the importance of the tribal nature of football and the importance of identity to supporters. ?

Very true. look at the bigger English clubs. As long as Chelsea have Terry and Lampard they will feel like Chelsea to their support. Likewise Liverpool with Gerrard and Carragher. When these players go, the fans could well be left with nothing to identify to. Of course success would be deemed to be more important, but for some fans the identity of their club is paramount.

Their fans are terrible for it and famous for it, but you saw how quickly the tims turned on their team last year. More leeway given if it was a team they could identify with (read: plastics)

Man U do this very well. Scholes, Giggs and Neville will go soon, but Fletcher and Evans will remain and will be joined by the likes of Gibson. Of course easier for the big teams to hold on to players.

Archived