Scottish Identity

The Broo

A lot has been said about Saturday's win in terms of what it means for the coming season. On the way home from the game it ocurred to me that another of the great things about the game was that the team was predominantly Scottish (6 of the starting 11), building on this most of the Scots had come through our academy and all four goals were scored by Scots...

I know most of us dont care about the makeup of the team as long as we are successful but after many years of drivel in the press about us being a Lithuanian club and full of foreigners i think it is really positive that we have clearly regained our Scottish identity and are bringing through lots of young players. I know we wont get any credit in the press for this but it it something we should be proud of i think.....

The Real Maroonblood

A lot has been said about Saturday's win in terms of what it means for the coming season. On the way home from the game it ocurred to me that another of the great things about the game was that the team was predominantly Scottish (6 of the starting 11), building on this most of the Scots had come through our academy and all four goals were scored by Scots...

I know most of us dont care about the makeup of the team as long as we are successful but after many years of drivel in the press about us being a Lithuanian club and full of foreigners i think it is really positive that we have clearly regained our Scottish identity and are bringing through lots of young players. I know we wont get any credit in the press for this but it it something we should be proud of i think.....

Fair comment.

Drewjambobusby

Very fair comment. Early days and i am sure it will take a while but exciting times ahead i think with some of talent we are producing. Whilst we are a selling club, through necessity, it is stisfying to see the youngsters breaking through and we will certainly get the benefit of them for a decent time before they are sold. Can`t remember being so excited by a season, even if it is only early days , and have a feeling good things are about to happen

Ray Winstone

It is always the Hibs youth 'conveyor belt' that gets all the credit - but I think recent times have shown, if anything, that the Hearts youth system is just as good, if not better.

I think over this decade we will see the full effects of having a brilliant Academy and youth set up.

Drewjambobusby

I'd take 11 Lith's winning the league over 6 Scot's finishing 5th.

Couldn`t disagree with the sentiment however, for the well being of the club i sincerely hope that it nevercomes to that. Don`t think, judging by what we are seeing it will. On top of that Vlad`s own philosophy is to have 11 sots is it not ?

Couldn`t disagree with the sentiment however, for the well being of the club i sincerely hope that it nevercomes to that. Don`t think, judging by what we are seeing it will. On top of that Vlad`s own philosophy is to have 11 sots is it not ?

I think that philosophy was mentioned a short while after he realised that promoting Lithuanian players might not be the money maker he had hoped.?:)

I don't mind who wears our jersey as long as they do it with the right attitude (if they can play football that would also be nice) but I do think it's very important that we keep some sort of local or Scottish nucleus. Aside from the fact that I want the national side to benefit from a raft of quality players brought through the ranks of the club I support, I also like the idea of kids growing up and wanting to be part of something they view as being part of the city and country in which they live. Football creates heroes and there are few better than the 'local boy done good' sorts.?

Plus, while some foreign players have taken to the culture of Hearts like ducks to water (Fyssas springs to mind) there's still something to be said for those who have lived the same sort of life in the same sort of places with the same sort of experiences as those who sit in the stands.?

Genghis Khan

Fair point but, according to the hacks that frequent the cess-pit that is Darkheid, foreign players are the new black. It's cool to have loads of johnny-foreigners in your squad this year for a reason that I can't put my finger on..........

Chris Benoit

Fair point but, according to the hacks that frequent the cess-pit that is Darkheid, foreign players are the new black. It's cool to have loads of johnny-foreigners in your squad this year for a reason that I can't put my finger on..........

thats_racist.gif

Drylaw Hearts

I'd take 11 Lith's winning the league over 6 Scot's finishing 5th.

We'd have been relegated if he had 11 Lith's in our team :

Kurkis

Barasa

Kanchelskis

Zaliukas

Kizys

Miko

Pillow

No.28

Chesney

Jankauskas

Velicka

Subs :

Some rajpot Goalie

Cinikas

Audrey

Beniuseless

Novikovas

Basil Hayden

I actually think the is more of a Heart's identity than a Scottish one. The big deal is being raised a Jambo.

I am more attached to Eggert than I am to Kyle

Dr Ian Malcolm

It is always the Hibs youth 'conveyor belt' that gets all the credit - but I think recent times have shown, if anything, that the Hearts youth system is just as good, if not better.

I think over this decade we will see the full effects of having a brilliant Academy and youth set up.

They're still getting the credit for bringing through one (admittedly good) crop of youngsters. Riordan, Brown, Thomson and Whittaker. That was about 5 years ago. Who since? Hanlon? Wotherspoon?.

In comparison, we've had individuals spread out over a number of seasons. Wallace, Berra, Elliot, Jonsson. Only in the last couple of seasons have we seen a group start to come through together - Temps, Novikovas, Smith, Glen and Thomson are all more or less the same age group.

Chris Benoit

You do indeed - but you lose in sooooo many other ways. :thumbsup:

sadface.jpg

Anyway back on topic as good as it is to see more Scots in the team it's much more important to see 11 players with the right attitude and the ability to foster a good team spirit and the perfect example of this would be our current and previous captain.

I actually think the is more of a Heart's identity than a Scottish one.??The big deal is being raised a Jambo.

I am more attached to Eggert than I am to Kyle

Eggy's a bit special though. I'm convinced he's going to end up a real Jambo legend. He's been here since he was a youngster, he's the consummate professional, he appears to have real affection for the club, he works his socks off, he doesn't ever let us down, he's been through some interesting times with us and he seems to 'get it'. Not all foreign players are like Eggy. Few Scottish players are like Eggy, for that matter. ?:)

And maybe you're right, maybe it's not so much about being Scottish...it's about having shared history of some description or an understanding of the culture of the club at the very least. It's just a fact that Scottish players might manage that a little better and demonstrate it more effectively. Not always, mind.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

Kurkis

Barasa

Kanchelskis

Zaliukas

Kizys

Miko

Pillow

No.28

Chesney

Jankauskas

Velicka

Subs :

Some rajpot Goalie

Cinikas

Audrey

Beniuseless

Novikovas

P.S That team would stroll into the top 6, and possibly push on. They would never get relegated.

Genghis Khan

Eggy's a bit special though. I'm convinced he's going to end up a real Jambo legend. He's been here since he was a youngster, he's the consummate professional, he appears to have real affection for the club, he works his socks off, he doesn't ever let us down, he's been through some interesting times with us and he seems to 'get it'. Not all foreign players are like Eggy. Few Scottish players are like Eggy, for that matter. ?:)

And maybe you're right, maybe it's not so much about being Scottish...it's about having shared history of some description or an understanding of the culture of the club at the very least. It's just a fact that Scottish players might manage that a little better and demonstrate it more effectively. Not always, mind.

....and he scores spectacular goals!! How could you forget?

Drylaw Hearts

P.S That team would stroll into the top 6, and possibly push on. They would never get relegated.

:lol:

Behave.

Commander Harris

and he's well fit too? ;)

Dr Ian Malcolm

Behave.

Decent strikeforce tbf. Chesny on the right, Novikovas on the left, Zal at centre half. The rest can bolt.

Drylaw Hearts

Decent strikeforce tbf. Chesny on the right, Novikovas on the left, Zal at centre half. The rest can bolt.

They certainly would not get relegated.

We'd have the worst goalie and the worst midfield in the SPL.

We'd also have the slowest strikeforce in the whole universe.

jamboinglasgow

I think its because there has been a line that has run in the media over the summer crying about the loss of "quality" in the SPL, by that they mean Rangers and Celtic losing their top players. So for them Celtic making big signings is this getting fixed, for them who cares if they are all foreign, Scottish football is keeping its quality. Of course they ignore the fact that by fixing below, building up young Scottish players Scotland can improve its quality but who wants to wait a few years to do that, buying fancy sounding foreign players sounds more impressive.

As for a Scottish identity or at least core to the team I do agree with that. Though I would also agree with overseas players who have come up through the ranks and know what it means to be Hearts and play in Scotland such as Eggert Jonsson and Ryan McGowan. I think then you have overseas players who can adapt and add something a little different and you get a strong team.

Interestingly, on Saturday the U19s only had 2 non-Scottish players in the starting XI, Denis Prychnenko who is Ukranian and Robert Ogilby who is English. Last season we often played with 3 or 4. In the whole U19 squad we have only 4 non-Scottish players. I am not saying we should not have overseas players, quite the opposite as I think they can complement what we already have, but its nice to know we bring through talented young Scottish lads, something the press seem to ignore.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

We'd have the worst goalie and the worst midfield in the SPL.

No, we wouldn't.

We'd also have the slowest strikeforce in the whole universe SPL.

No, we wouldn't.

Guest John Meurig Thomas

I disagree.

Fair enough. I realise this is rather pointless anyway so let's just leave it. I'd back that team against Hamilton, St Mirren, Kilmarnock etc though.

jamboinglasgow

Kurkis

Barasa

Kanchelskis

Zaliukas

Kizys

Miko

Pillow

No.28

Chesney

Jankauskas

Velicka

Subs :

Some rajpot Goalie

Cinikas

Audrey

Beniuseless

Novikovas

I love how you ignore what is written to suit your agenda.

Drylaw Hearts

I love how you ignore what is written to suit your agenda.

I didn't ignore it.

And.....

what agenda ?

Hackney Hearts

Kurkis

Barasa

Kanchelskis

Zaliukas

Kizys

Miko

Pillow

No.28

Chesney

Jankauskas

Velicka

Subs :

Some rajpot Goalie

Cinikas

Audrey

Beniuseless

Novikovas

In an attacking sense, that side is well above average for the SPL. Velicka is with champions Rangers, and Jankauskas played at a higher level than the current OF sides. Miko and Chesney played for us when we finished 2nd.

Not so hot at the back admittedly (apart from our current centre half!), but overall I reckon that lot (with a reasonable manager...) would finish in this year's top 5. They would certainly be nowhere near relegation (I think Hamilton might have that sewn up already in any case!).

heartsfc_fan

Kurkis

Barasa

Kanchelskis

Zaliukas

Kizys

Miko

Pillow

No.28

Chesney

Jankauskas

Velicka

Subs :

Some rajpot Goalie

Cinikas

Audrey

Beniuseless

Novikovas

Just so long as we play hoof ball with that team (the midfield is too lightweight) and get the balls up to big janny and velicka, that team would finish 5th or 6th.

The SPL is pesh remember.

jamboinglasgow

I didn't ignore it.

And.....

what agenda ?

You did, what the guy was saying is that he wants to see Hearts win so didn't care if the winning team had 11 Lithuanians in it. You changed it to show how we could never win with 11 Lithuanians, the nationality in the example was immaterial, he could of said Estonians, Ghanians or even Mongolians but your agenda of having a pop at the past of bringing Lithunaians here means you used it to have a go at said nationality of player.

....and he scores spectacular goals!! How could you forget?

Indeed, who else provides us with acrobatics?

and he's well fit too???;)

And he wears sharp suits. Can't ask for more than that from a footballer. ?:)

Dr Ian Malcolm

Indeed, who else provides us with acrobatics?

And he wears sharp suits. Can't ask for more than that from a footballer. ?:)

Needs to bring back the long hair/headband combo he sported oh too briefly.

Everyone knows long hair + headband = 'mazin player.

rossthejambo

Kurkis

Barasa

Kanchelskis

Zaliukas

Kizys

Miko

Pillow

No.28

Chesney

Jankauskas

Velicka

Subs :

Some rajpot Goalie

Cinikas

Audrey

Beniuseless

Novikovas

Glad to see that Ivaskevicius still gets his "nickname" as well as Pilibaitis (the guy who knocked Rangers out the Champions League only 2 seasons ago).

That team would easily be in the top 6. But hey lets not let that get in the way of a good ol' Lith Bashing. ermm.gif

Hackney Hearts

In an attacking sense, that side is well above average for the SPL. Velicka is with champions Rangers, and Jankauskas played at a higher level than the current OF sides. Miko and Chesney played for us when we finished 2nd.

Not so hot at the back admittedly (apart from our current centre half!), but overall I reckon that lot (with a reasonable manager...) would finish in this year's top 5. They would certainly be nowhere near relegation (I think Hamilton might have that sewn up already in any case!).

Also think some of the 'weaker' members of that line-up might benefit from getting a game every week and not being singled out for abuse by their own fans for their nationality. In their defence, even Pilibaitis I seem to remember knocking Rangers out of Europe - and Ivaskevicius scoring in a win at Parkhead.

FWIW, I would have Novikovas in the starting 11 though.

ernie winchester

I think that philosophy was mentioned a short while after he realised that promoting Lithuanian players might not be the money maker he had hoped.?:)

I don't mind who wears our jersey as long as they do it with the right attitude (if they can play football that would also be nice) but I do think it's very important that we keep some sort of local or Scottish nucleus. Aside from the fact that I want the national side to benefit from a raft of quality players brought through the ranks of the club I support, I also like the idea of kids growing up and wanting to be part of something they view as being part of the city and country in which they live. Football creates heroes and there are few better than the 'local boy done good' sorts.?

Plus, while some foreign players have taken to the culture of Hearts like ducks to water (Fyssas springs to mind) there's still something to be said for those who have lived the same sort of life in the same sort of places with the same sort of experiences as those who sit in the stands.?

This is a very good post! :thumbsup:

Drylaw Hearts

Apart from 3 or 4 the Liths were crap.

I really hate this fricking Lithuanian love-in on here.

Where are all these turkeys playing now ?

rossthejambo

Apart from 3 or 4 the Liths were crap.

I really hate this fricking Lithuanian love-in on here.

Where are all these turkeys playing now ?

Velicka - Rangers (SCO)

Zaliukas - Hearts (SCO)

Mikoliunas - Arsenal Kiev (UKR)

Cesnauskis - Aris (GRE)

Ivaskevicius - Bnei Yehuda (ISR)

Kizys - Gorica (POL)

Kancelskis - KFK Siauliai (LTU)

Kurskis - FC Smarhon (BLR)

Beniusis - Hapoel Ra'anana (ISR)

Pilibaitis - Gyori (HUN)

Jankauskas - New England Revolution (USA)

Barasa - Retired due to injury

Ksanavicius - Kaunas (LTU)

Novikovas - Hearts (SCO)

Don't think they've done too bad for themselves mostly.

Tbh there's a difference between having a "love-in" and being indifferent about the majority of them but disliking the abuse measured out at them. As I said at the time, not their fault they were getting picked all the time. The majority of them tried their best on a weekly basis and some of them were unfortunately out of their depth. Not their fault.

Drylaw Hearts

Velicka - Rangers (SCO)

Zaliukas - Hearts (SCO)

Mikoliunas - Arsenal Kiev (UKR)

Cesnauskis - Aris (GRE)

Ivaskevicius - Bnei Yehuda (ISR)

Kizys - Gorica (POL)

Kancelskis - KFK Siauliai (LTU)

Kurskis - FC Smarhon (BLR)

Beniusis - Hapoel Ra'anana (ISR)

Pilibaitis - Gyori (HUN)

Jankauskas - New England Revolution (USA)

Barasa - Retired due to injury

Ksanavicius - Kaunas (LTU)

Novikovas - Hearts (SCO)

Don't think they've done too bad for themselves mostly.

Tbh there's a difference between having a "love-in" and being indifferent about the majority of them but disliking the abuse measured out at them. As I said at the time, not their fault they were getting picked all the time. The majority of them tried their best on a weekly basis and some of them were unfortunately out of their depth. Not their fault.

Drylaw Hearts

You laugh but they probably still get paid more than you!

Probably ?

I would say most definitely.

However.....

It does not remove the fact that most of these guys were/are utter garbage at best.

Guest Dipped Flake

Probably ?

I would say most definitely.

However.....

It does not remove the fact that most of these guys were/are utter garbage at best.

Can I ask what your point is regarding the OP???? I presume you agree that it is good to see a team with a spine of home-raised talent in it? If so is there any reason to use this as yet another chance to Vlad/Lith bash???

Independence

Spot on but as you say the press will give us no praise. They are too busy reporting on Hibs flair through their greta youth system!

Airdrie United, Alloa Athletic, Ayr United, Brechin City, Dumbarton, East Fife, Forfar Athletic, Livingston, Peterhead, Stenhousemuir, Cowdenbeath, Dundee, Dunfermline Athletic, Falkirk, Greenock Morton, Partick Thistle, Queen of the South, Raith Rovers, Ross County, Stirling Albion and many many many more do not get praise for playing Scottish players.

Archived