The Mcbride Red

Francis Albert

McBride got sent off for playing the ball. That is not a sending off, it's not a booking either.

I remember Stevie Fulton being far more blunt about a similar sitiuation at Tynecastle to win a corner.

Hibs are pathetic, that doesn't mean it was the correct decision.

Just seen the two red cards incident at ER. McBride deserved a talking to, at the very worst a yellow. But yet again, faced with having to send an OF player off, a Scottish ref looks for an excuse to send one of the opposition off. McBride was assaulted by half the Rangers team, which would have resulted in a few yellows or even reds if Hearts players behaved similarly. While part of me is delighted at any misfortune that befalls Hibs, the better part of me sees this as yet another example of OF favouritism. And only two games in.

I laugh when any Hivee gets sent off. Well done to the referee. :thumbsup:

A yellow card for unsporting behaviour would have been the correct decision,that said,it was the kind of red card that we would certainly be on the end of so maybe we are begining to see a bit of consistency.

I've just looked at the highlights and if that was red card offence for McBride then football is well and truly fecked.

People are saying the whistle had gone but it can only have been a fraction before he booted the ball.

rossthejambo

Originally thought McBride's sending off was harsh but if it's the letter of the law and Brines seen it as violent conduct then no other option but to send him off.

Lafferty's tackle was ******* atrocious. If Miller was on his feet instead of falling over his leg would have been broken, and as much as I hate Hibs, I hate the fact that all this will be swept under the carpet by the press because bad Kevin McBride hit Lafferty with the football.

McGregor should be hit with a big ban for feigning injury TWICE, and a retrospective ban for aiming a fly kick at Elliot two seasons ago. Dirty barsteward that he is. :verymad:

givememychoice

I've just looked at the highlights and if that was red card offence for McBride then football is well and truly fecked.

People are saying the whistle had gone but it can only have been a fraction before he booted the ball.

i agree. Look at the 1 second BEFORE the whistle goes. What is mcbride about to do? He is about to hoof the ball. What happens a split second after the whistle goes? he hoofs the ball.

linkin- hearts

Would be interesting to know the stats on how often when one of the OF get a player sent off, the other team is also reduced to 10 either at the same time or later in the game? Sometimes it feels that refs won't RC an OF player unless he can keep it even and on the rare occasions he has to, he'll look to even it up asap...

Same could also be said if a ref has to award a penalty against them, he'll look to give them one at every opportunity.:verymad:

You get booked for kicking the ball away. He kicked it full pelt at a player lying on the ground. If he was to do that to Temp's you would not be so forgiving.

Lafferty did nothing wrong. Ref's cannot expect players not to react in every situation. He should have knocked the shit out of McBride.

You get booked for kicking the ball away. He kicked it full pelt at a player lying on the ground. If he was to do that to Temp's you would not be so forgiving.

Lafferty did nothing wrong. Ref's cannot expect players not to react in every situation. He should have knocked the shit out of McBride.

Fair enough comment but it's not the ref's responsibilty. Players know if they retaliate they will be booked/sent off.

I think yellow cards for both would have sufficed. Like I said before the whistle can only have gone a fraction before McBride hit the ball and he was probably already in the act of kicking the ball.

It is weird that being struck with a football can be interpreted as violent conduct in a game of football...Are we to afford GKs more protection for making saves?, does blasting the ball into a wall receive a red? If it is intention then how about players who intentionally hit other players in order to get throw-ins or corners. Stupid rule IMO.

rossthejambo

Apart from a potentially leg-breaking tackle you're right Lafferty was very harshly treated :blink:

Both players deserved a red as the rules state that kicking the ball at a player which Mcbride did is violent conduct and in all fairness Lafferty probably wouldnt have reacted if he didnt do that. I also think Mcgregor should get hammered for his play acting in the first incident.

Jam Tarts 1874

The referees decided before the start of the season to really crack down on violent conduct and all the players were made aware of this.

McBride deliberately booted the ball as hard as he could at a player lying on the ground - that is violent conduct. End of.

Dean Winchester

Here's one for you - in my playing days I had a half decent throw-in. This game the opposition put a guy in front of me at a throw-in,literally right on the touchline. I did the decent thing - took a run up and launched it straight into his coupon. After the ensuing mel?e the ref booked me for ungentlemanly conduct but we had another throw-in. I said to the ref you can't book me for this or you'll have to book someone everytime a freekick hits the wall, if he doesn't want me to hit him with the ball, why is he standing there? The poor ref was baffled and as I lined up to take the next throw they lined up a different guy (who was gonna punch my lights out if I hit him). I called to the ref and said you have to book him for ungentlemanly conduct as he's trying to get me sent off as he knows my throw-in will hit him and I've already been booked. The ref went over to their manager and asked him not to do it as it was likely to incite a riot and fortunately they agreed. Leaving after the game the ref came over and said he was genuinely baffled as to what to do! I still think I was right - if you don't want hit, don't stand there!!

So your number 16!

Tell you what thats some throw you've got ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ldlAI3bUTU&feature=related

McBride had both feet off the ground when he hits the ball so we can safely assume it wasnt going to be a measured pass and there is no need to hoof the ball out the park.

So McBride deliberately went to hit the ball off Lafferty (no bad thing) in turn putting himself in a situation where the ref has a situation to deal with the actions of the player Brines had no option but to send McBride off and if I were the manager I will be fining him for stupidity at the same time.

it wasnt going to be a measured pass and there is no need to hoof the ball out the park.

Because it's just not the Hibs way you mean? :whistling:

Genghis Khan

And how do we quantify whether someone blooters a ball in a violent way?? Its hard enough for refs. Lets get this straight,the boy got a red card as Brines wanted to even things up because he is A a cheat and B he is scared to rock the old firm boat,no other reason.

Neil Pointon was sent off at Ibrox for kicking the post. Kind of puts this into perspective don't you think - straight red - and Stokes should have walked as well for the violent assault on Lafferty that went unnoticed.

scottish_chicP

I thought it should have been a yellow card and let's face it had it been a Rangers player that done it then it would have been at most! I haven't read the whole thread so perhaps someone has already mentioned this but does anyone else get really peed off at seeing Davie Weir once again getting away with grabbing players by the throat? According to the Rangers fans I watched the game with this is the first dirty thing Weir has ever done. I asked them to remove the red, blue and white tinted glasses. :down:

I thought it should have been a yellow card and let's face it had it been a Rangers player that done it then it would have been at most! I haven't read the whole thread so perhaps someone has already mentioned this but does anyone else get really peed off at seeing Davie Weir once again getting away with grabbing players by the throat? According to the Rangers fans I watched the game with this is the first dirty thing Weir has ever done. I asked them to remove the red, blue and white tinted glasses. :down:

If it had been a Rangers' player doing that to an Hearts' player we would all have been screaming for a red.

scottish_chicP

If it had been a Rangers' player doing that to an Hearts' player we would all have been screaming for a red.

Yeah I guess looking at it that way you're right.

Harry Palmer

Hopefully the incident is reviewed with further reds for Weir and Stroker.

Referee was correct.

Francis Albert

... but with little prospect of success.

Hopefully the incident is reviewed with further reds for Weir and Stroker.

Referee was correct.

During the melee that followed the commentator said punches are being thrown. That being the case the GFA will want close the book on it as soon as poss since there were RFC players involved.................a protected species dont you know :whistling:

TOTALLY! I've been watching Weir do that for the past few seasons, just wading in to anything that happens acting like a young hardman. He's 40 years old. That was clear as day on camera yesterday and nothing will get done.

As for vermin of the Earth McGregor, nothing will happen to him as he was already booked. Despite the fact that he tried to get someone sent off, almost incited a brawl and (watch carefully) goes to headbutt Stokes in the 'gentleman place' as he tries to get up from his terrible facial injury.

I'm starting to think his disgusting, probably disease-ridden, uber-ned burd is the classy one in their relationship.

McBride had both feet off the ground when he hits the ball so we can safely assume it wasnt going to be a measured pass and there is no need to hoof the ball out the park.

So McBride deliberately went to hit the ball off Lafferty (no bad thing) in turn putting himself in a situation where the ref has a situation to deal with the actions of the player Brines had no option but to send McBride off and if I were the manager I will be fining him for stupidity at the same time.

McBride is a celtic reject. He'll be boasting about this for years to come.

Sadly, I am less acrobatic than that! and mine was more of a blatant assualt - that kind of looked accidental! :whistling:

Seats,

If you are admitting to throwing the ball at the player on purpose then you should have been red carded, not yellowed.

It is weird that being struck with a football can be interpreted as violent conduct in a game of football...Are we to afford GKs more protection for making saves?, does blasting the ball into a wall receive a red? If it is intention then how about players who intentionally hit other players in order to get throw-ins or corners. Stupid rule IMO.

Spellczech,

You are right,

Being struck with a football CAN be interperted as violent, or it CAN be interperted as part of the game.

It's all about CONTEXT.

McBride's deliberately kicked the ball against Lafferty for no other purpose than to hit him, not gain any form of footballing/sporting advantage.

While the rules are there in black and white, they have to be interperted and be in context.

Last week we had an embarrassing number of Hearts fans booing the St. Jonstone player and the ref for stopping the game when Grainger was off the pitch. 'He's off the pitch, play on'

But the context was that a player was just off the pitch, looking seriously injured and Hearts having a corner. And as again, as in most cases the ref was right and again, the fans wrong.

Just seen the two red cards incident at ER. McBride deserved a talking to, at the very worst a yellow. But yet again, faced with having to send an OF player off, a Scottish ref looks for an excuse to send one of the opposition off. McBride was assaulted by half the Rangers team, which would have resulted in a few yellows or even reds if Hearts players behaved similarly. While part of me is delighted at any misfortune that befalls Hibs, the better part of me sees this as yet another example of OF favouritism. And only two games in.

Tough, heck them!

We spoke out we were slagged and mocked when they could have supported us - they did not, so now it is their turn I say tough ****.

Guest Dipped Flake

Brines is from Paisley which last time i checked wasn't in Glasgow.

Both players deserved reds.Lafferty for the tackle and McBride for kicking the ball directly at him full force whilst he was on the ground.

Am i right in thinking as McGregor got booked for the "dive" the SPL cannot take more action against him?

If he got booked then that's it. The SFA can only act if the referee misses it

There's no way McBride hit him deliberately with the ball, if he'd aimed it at him he'd have shanked it past him.

FFS What game were you watching?? I've never seen anything more deliberate in my life!

clubs outwith the old firm have had plenty opportunities to get behind hearts after unfair fines and unfair sending offs' etc.

i am not fully up to spec. with the laws of the game with regard to mcbrides sending off but, even supposing it wasn`t a sending off hibs are on there own as far as i`m concerned.

NoseLikeMahe

There should be a ref waiting at the end of the tunnel to give Lafferty a straight red card every time he attempts to bring his coupon anywhere near a paying audience. :down:

Genghis Khan

FFS What game were you watching?? I've never seen anything more deliberate in my life!

WOOOOOOSH!

By some people theory on this thread if a player deliberately got in the way of a keeper kicking the ball both the keeper and blocking player would get booked. And what about when you kick the ball as hard as you can off an opponent to try and deflect the ball for a throw in or corner,is that too a booking,my arse it is. Brines was evening things up,in typical SFA fashion.

Rubbish.

I see you're unfamiliar with the concept of 'context'. If McBride had been trying to play a pass or get the ball out of play, then you'd have a valid point. Booting the ball against Lafferty was his own form of retribution for the original tackle on Miller.

McBride got sent off for playing the ball. That is not a sending off, it's not a booking either.

No, he got sent of for violent conduct, I sugest you read through the match report before making silly comments :thumbsup:

I take it you didn't watch this ill tempered fixture then? Brines made an example out of both Lafferty and McBride to try and retain some control of the match. You let things like that go, you are going to lose the game.

Rubbish.

I see you're unfamiliar with the concept of 'context'. If McBride had been trying to play a pass or get the ball out of play, then you'd have a valid point. Booting the ball against Lafferty was his own form of retribution for the original tackle on Miller.

No, he got sent of for violent conduct, I sugest you read through the match report before making silly comments :thumbsup:

I take it you didn't watch this ill tempered fixture then? Brines made an example out of both Lafferty and McBride to try and retain some control of the match. You let things like that go, you are going to lose the game.

Eck,

We are virtually in agreement but I slightly disagree as I don't believe he had an option. Both incidents were clear red card offences, irrespective of what went on before.

What I've done here DETTY, is explain to the idiocracy on here, that football isn't just about black and white.

Both were clear red card offences, but when you take the context of the game here too, it's been a bit bad tempered, few tasty challenges and one scrap already, you can't let anyone get away with anything.

Both Lafferty and McBride got what they deserved in this instance, anyone who argues otherwise is just clueless.

What I've done here DETTY, is explain to the idiocracy on here, that football isn't just about black and white.

Both were clear red card offences, but when you take the context of the game here too, it's been a bit bad tempered, few tasty challenges and one scrap already, you can't let anyone get away with anything.

Both Lafferty and McBride got what they deserved in this instance, anyone who argues otherwise is just clueless.

:thumbsup:

Archived