Paul Scholes - By Far Best European Midfielder For Past 15 Years. (Merged Threads)

Ray Winstone

Gavsy Van Gaverson

I just think he is a quiet lad who happens to be good at football.

It's obvious that he doesn't enjoy giving interviews.

I tried to listen to him this morning. Terrible stuff but usual boring questions.

No idea who the interviewer was, but his questions and the style of delivery had me cringing.

You have to wonder how much of the "will the boss shoot me if I say this or don't say that" goes through his head when being interviewed. I once saw a conference when both he and Fergie were present and Paul kept looking sideways at him when asked a question. At one stage he delayed giving an answer before Alex said: "Go on son, it's alright.. answer the question".

I recall when Leeds United won the Premier League down south (while not actually playing) and the broadcasters had a camera on David Batty sat on a sofa while watching Man U fail to win, thereby handing LUFC the title. When the final whistle went Batty exhibited a level of rejoicing and exuberance consistent with someone who had just finished a nice plate of beans on toast; he really was astonishingly dull. I suspect Scholes is of similar ilk.

I'd love a bore like Scholes at Tynecastle ! He's not dull, just can't be bothered with the lime light.

Along with Giggs ,Scholes is possibly the best footballer I,ve ever seen.A model profesional who has simply done it all.Exemplarory both on and off the field,a fine example to every boy who wants to be a success in football.

shaun.lawson

I recall when Leeds United won the Premier League down south (while not actually playing) and the broadcasters had a camera on David Batty sat on a sofa while watching Man U fail to win, thereby handing LUFC the title. When the final whistle went Batty exhibited a level of rejoicing and exuberance consistent with someone who had just finished a nice plate of beans on toast; he really was astonishingly dull. I suspect Scholes is of similar ilk.

Except that in Batty's case, it was all one big wind-up. Leeds won the league; ITV went to Batty and team mates for their reaction. "Just a bonus", they deadpanned, "Europe was our main aim. The title's a bit of a bonus, that's all". Every one of them said the exact same thing. ITV fell for it completely; and you bought it too. :P

As for Scholes: after his career, he can be as dull as he damn well likes. One minute we're slagging celebrity footballers; the next we're complaining if they're boring on camera. What do we expect? Einstein? Comic genius? Or for them to be good at football?

I thought the headline was a bit harsh ... then i watched the interview. Jesus, he doesnt know what he likes. He's not sure about anything!

I used to think he was indecisive ... now i'm not too sure :)

Zizou his biggest fan - My link

"He scores goals galore, he scores goals"

Absolute legend.

As the writer of the article would agree, you name one person who has a better claim to that title than Scholes.

Charlie-Brown

iam sorry but that's laughable jamie, couldn't get anywhere near xavi or iniesta in the 2009 champions league final plus they also both have european championship and world cup winners medals. Even in his prime he was barely the best player in england nevermind all of europe.

Just a quiet lad who's good at football and not a total arse like the vast majority of footballers nowadays. You might call him dull but I'd take him and any other player of his calibre and reservedness to Tynecastle any day.

Ray Winstone

For those who have failed to read the OP properly - I am not taking anything away from his ability as a footballer.

But the guy is dull as ****!

Geoff Kilpatrick

What annoys me most about this whole Scholes eulogy at present is people with received opinion. People who understood football always knew how good he was, yet at that time all the spotlight fell on Beckham. Not taking anything away from Beckham because his determination to be something better than he was is admirable but he never had the ability of Paul Scholes.

Dr Ian Malcolm

No idea who the interviewer was, but his questions and the style of delivery had me cringing.

Spoke to him like he was about six!

Asking him if he#d ever been tempted to leave? The guy has been a regular for his hometown club, won countless honours, individual plaudits and will be on serioursly good money, with the likelyhood that he'll be remembered as ome of the best players in the club and country's history. Moronic question.

Tbf, if there was a United player who you would imagine that Fergie would give a bit more leeway to in terms of what he said/did, ot would probably ne Scholes. I'm sure Fergie's been quoted as saying he's the best player he's ever help produce. Just so happens the guy's a model pro and an exceptional player.

I'm no lover of Man Utd btw. Some of their "stars" over the years have been incredibly overrated (Keane, Neville). Scholes was, and is, genuine class though.

Dr Ian Malcolm

iam sorry but that's laughable jamie, couldn't get anywhere near xavi or iniesta in the 2009 champions league final plus they also both have european championship and world cup winners medals. Even in his prime he was barely the best player in england nevermind all of europe.

He's 35. You can't seriously expect him to still be reaching the levels he did consistantly 8/0/10 years ago. As for international honours, he can't help that he played for England. Best never even played at a major finals, yet it hasn't effected his standing as one of the all time best.

Scholes his prime was easily up there with Xavi and Iniesta, and by far the best English midfielder in the last 20 years.

Scholes was easily as good as Xavi and Iniesta in his prime the main difference he scored a hell of a lot more goals than them while still dictated a game.

Napoleon  Wilson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8933749.stm

Great player but treads a fine line between being down to earth and just dull.

No! without a doubt the title of "Dullest Footballer" would be a straight fight between Michael Owen and Alan Shearer. Id rather watch paint dry than listen to an interview with either of them. I think they may have had an experimental personality lobotomy at one stage during both of there careers. (Which could explain why Michael Owen is so cr@p now)

aberhill jambo

As the writer of the article would agree, you name one person who has a better claim to that title than Scholes.

GIGGS

Drylaw Hearts

A silly post imo.

Scholes is nearing the end of his career whilst Xavi and Iniesta are in their prime.

Also......International honours cannot be included in arguments like this.

Paul Scholes is one of the greatest midfielders England have ever produced.

With regards to passing and goalscoring then yes but his inability to tackle lets him down and puts the likes of xavi and inesta ahead of him imho! Still an excellent player but for a professional to have not developed the weakest part of his game in 15 years is rather slack tbh!

Actually thing for an all round midfield player then Gerrard is about as good as you can get, can play DM, ACM, left or right, scores goals, tackles, great free kicks, penalties and creates goals for others! Might not have the passing of Scholes but has a better all round game!

If only more "professional" footballers had his attitude. The game might still be saved.

Exactly, give me Paul Scholes and Ryan Giggs over John Terrys and Ashley Coles any day.

Except that in Batty's case, it was all one big wind-up. Leeds won the league; ITV went to Batty and team mates for their reaction. "Just a bonus", they deadpanned, "Europe was our main aim. The title's a bit of a bonus, that's all". Every one of them said the exact same thing. ITV fell for it completely; and you bought it too. :P

As for Scholes: after his career, he can be as dull as he damn well likes. One minute we're slagging celebrity footballers; the next we're complaining if they're boring on camera. What do we expect? Einstein? Comic genius? Or for them to be good at football?

I think it's a characteristic of quality humour that it isn't so obscure that your audience doesn't get it. At that point it becomes a simple 'in' joke, which anyone can do...

People can be dull in any walk of life. Just because they are footballers doesn't mean it's any less of a crime against humanity to be so dull.

With regards to passing and goalscoring then yes but his inability to tackle lets him down and puts the likes of xavi and inesta ahead of him imho! Still an excellent player but for a professional to have not developed the weakest part of his game in 15 years is rather slack tbh!

That is meant to be a total fallacy BTW. While it obviously looks like he cannot tackle, many of his colleagues and former colleagues say he's a superb tackler. What he does though is kick you early so you dont go near him!

As for Scholes and his place, Drylaw has it spot on.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

There's possibly another side to it - that Batty hates football and always has. Just saw it as his job

Zidane has clearly never watched the likes of Beuzelin, Miller, Brown and Thomson in their prime at Easrer Road. :) :) :)

Bert Le Clos

Not nearly as good as Steven Gerrard -- a man who can pick a team up and carry it - streets ahead of Scholes

Probably the best English footballer since Gazza.

Gerrard has taken over from him I'd say.

I respect your opinions, but for me in his prime Scholes was streets ahead of Gerrard. Scholes was and still is one of those players who makes the game look ridiculously easy. His positioning give him so much time on the ball.

Technically I think he's one of England's best ever players.

I respect your opinions, but for me in his prime Scholes was streets ahead of Gerrard. Scholes was and still is one of those players who makes the game look ridiculously easy. His positioning give him so much time on the ball.

Technically I think he's one of England's best ever players.

Just look at one game -- Champions League Final v AC Milan -- that is how one man can make a difference and whilst Scholes is good and was very good at his peak -- he is/was not as good as Gerrard at his peak.

Gerrard has an inspirational quality that only a few have -- if he signed for us (yeah I know !!) we could win the league -- if Scholes signed we would improve but not to the same extent -- simply put I know but true :thumbsup:

Just look at one game -- Champions League Final v AC Milan -- that is how one man can make a difference and whilst Scholes is good and was very good at his peak -- he is/was not as good as Gerrard at his peak.

Gerrard has an inspirational quality that only a few have -- if he signed for us (yeah I know !!) we could win the league -- if Scholes signed we would improve but not to the same extent -- simply put I know but true :thumbsup:

That was without doubt Gerrards finest hour and he is capable of influencing a game more than Scholes but he is nowhere near as consistent as Scholes. Gerrard can tend to drift out of matches while Scholes is always on the ball.

Surprised Beckhams name hasn't cropped up yet. For a period of a few years he was outstanding and as good as anyone in the world. I remember watching an england match when he was captain (might have been the greece match where he scored last minute freekick) and he was unbelievable, everywhere on the pitch. I preferred him playing centre mid as he wasn't involved enough on the right wing. But overall he wasn't as influential as Scholes Imo

Bert Le Clos

That's fair enough. But if I were to list the number of games Scholes has won we would be here all day. I think Gerrard's influence on Liverpoool cannot be underestimated. But you souldn't underestimate how much poorer a side Liverpool are and have been compared to Man Utd for the best part of 15 years.

So of course Gerrard's influence on Liverpool will sometimes be more apparent that Scholes' influence on Man U.

Scholes even now is better than gerrard. Gerrard is consistently poor and turns it on now and again. Scholes is always superb. Gerrard cant pass a ball like scholes can. Infact no one in england can

Surprised Beckhams name hasn't cropped up yet. For a period of a few years he was outstanding and as good as anyone in the world. I remember watching an england match when he was captain (might have been the greece match where he scored last minute freekick) and he was unbelievable, everywhere on the pitch. I preferred him playing centre mid as he wasn't involved enough on the right wing. But overall he wasn't as influential as Scholes Imo

All the English players mentioned are great club players,not many recently have made their mark at Intenational level.You could also say the same for Cantona,the only player the rags have had better than Scholes in the Fergie years.

Not nearly as good as Steven Gerrard -- a man who can pick a team up and carry it - streets ahead of Scholes

In their prime, would you honestly pick Gerrard over Scholes?

The English love to bum up players by saying so and so is 'world class'. Scholes in his prime was the 1 English player who truely was. An excellent player. :thumbsup:

So Andy,

Ian Cocker lets you know about Galbraith's career with Hearts and Man U and you come out with a long line of youth talent Hibs produce line.

Walloper.

Wrong thread. Doh

Tommy Wiseau

Second best European midfielder of the last 20 years, behind only the man who rates him as the best. The guy is 35 years old and still dominating matches in one of the 3 best leagues in the world.

Beckham and Gerrard are nowhere near Scholesy in the reckoning; seriously, be reasonable here.

Second best European midfielder of the last 20 years, behind only the man who rates him as the best. The guy is 35 years old and still dominating matches in one of the 3 best leagues in the world.

Beckham and Gerrard are nowhere near Scholesy in the reckoning; seriously, be reasonable here.

The fact he is still running the show at 35 says it all :thumbsup:

Archived