"we're Gunning For Third!"

JewelsOfTheRomanovs

Its been a while since I had to do it but I remember doing business plans and budgets and having to state goals and objectives. One of the main guidelines was to be realistic and have achievables. I have no doubt that an objective of third place is achievable. This however does not rule out the possibility of first or second happening. No one would complain if a higher position is achieved but if stating we will win the league was given as achievable, not doing so would be seen as abject failure. The failure could also if reasonably early in the campaign result in low morale, leading to lack of effort. The danger of taking risks in team selection in desperation could also have more dire results.

For me for now third would be very satisfactory, anything more would be a bonus, anything less would be disappointing.

Its been a while since I had to do it but I remember doing business plans and budgets and having to state goals and objectives. One of the main guidelines was to be realistic and have achievables. I have no doubt that an objective of third place is achievable. This however does not rule out the possibility of first or second happening. No one would complain if a higher position is achieved but if stating we will win the league was given as achievable, not doing so would be seen as abject failure. The failure could also if reasonably early in the campaign result in low morale, leading to lack of effort. The danger of taking risks in team selection in desperation could also have more dire results.

For me for now third would be very satisfactory, anything more would be a bonus, anything less would be disappointing.

And fans blaming the players because they cannot achieve their unrealistic goals and then creating a negative atmosphere inside Tynecastle

Crikey i wouldnt want half of you in my team. You should always aim to win every competition you enter. Aim for 3rd and its unlikely you'll achieve any higher.

if we had the players that could compete for the title.

It would probably help if we had players who believed we could compete for the title!

I start every season not thinking about "splitting" the old firm, but finishing above both of them. In fact, at the moment, the Treble's still on!!!

The problem is most Hearts supporters dont believe we can win, the players, management or owners dont believe this - so is it any wonder we continually under achieve for a club of our stature?

Chris Hoy - I'm a Jambo, forget the gold medal, a bronze will do for me!

OK, you have got the top job - what can I not have the third best job in the company?

Thats a nice bird over there - naw lets find the third best looking to go out with!

What is the fascination with the third loser spot with us?

I can see Paul Mckenna's motivational book would be the third best seller with Hears fans!

Third - Pah..................

JewelsOfTheRomanovs

:verymad: I hate lack of ambition shown by Hearts team and management. The we are aiming for 3rd place mentality is in my opinion very wrong and the mind set of players and management going into any match let alone old firm matches cant be right. The above quote from Bouzid is highlighted on our web site as if this is something to be proud of. I also hate the word realistic!

Just wanted to get this off my chest. :verymad:

Sorry new to posting and not sure how to edit please change or tell me how to change the we're to We're as really annoys me. Not sure how to get upgraded from new/warm but my father, grand father and great grand father all support/supported Hearts and if you ask any of my children who the best football team in the world are and they will answer Heart of Midlothian. I was on the pitch when Liddell headed the winner, at Dundee when tic fans came out of the woodwork on the way home and cried at celtic park when we won the cup. Does any of this count for anything or do I have to post for a few years to be truly recognised as a Hearts Fan?

It would probably help if we had players who believed we could compete for the title!

The problem is most Hearts supporters dont believe we can win, the players, management or owners dont believe this - so is it any wonder we continually under achieve for a club of our stature?

The hibs believe they are Brazil but have not won the big cup since 1902

"Reach for the stars and you'll get the moon" - keep telling my kids that.

"If you think you can, you might - if you think you can't, you won't".

Tell them that as well. B)

portobellojambo1

Possibly the best reply any Hearts player could make if posed the question "what are your aims for this season" would be to say "we are looking to finish third, at worst".

That way they are not overstating their potential achievements, but also aren't saying we have no hope in hell of splitting the OF so just want to be the best of the rest.

If you don't aim to be the best you will never reach that pinnacle, however you don't want to come out and openly state something you feel might not be possible, as that could be taken as a sign of failure before trying.

If Hearts were anywhere near finishing 2nd or even 1st, the powers-that-be would not allow it to happen. Referees would be told to clamp down on anything Hearts players did and let off other clubs for similar things. Look what happened last time, beating Celtic 1-0 at Tynie, ref sends off Fyssas for basically nothing, gives them 2 free-kicks from where Fyssas would've been defending, one of which a Hearts player was pushed, should have been a free-kick to us but no, final score? 2-1 Celtic, job done! Then to add salt to the wound, Fyssas's red card was recinded!! Well... the challenge was albeit over, had to think of a way to show no bias against Hearts of course!(nudge-nudge). The challenge died from that game onwards.

Don't mean to be pedantic, actually, I do, but we were 2-1 ahead when Fyssas was sent off. 2-0 ahead inside 7 minutes through Jankauskas and Pressley with Pearson scoring early in the second half to get the first back. No doubt that the ref had an impact on the result but even worse i.m.o was the fact that having conceded one goal from a free kick the team didn't learn from it and conceded another, virtually identical goal within a minute or so. Even a draw that day would have sustained our challenge a little bit longer.

the only stock phrase i detest when it comes to this sort of thing is when people continually troop out "split the OF", or variations of it. as if it's the ultimate goal to attain. in this league if you're good enough to split them then you're good enough to go all the way and win the league... which nobody is by the way.

i really don't know why people get upset by our players saying they're aiming for third because it's really the only credible target right now. it might be better if they were careful to say that we are aiming to finish as high as we possibly can (which would be 3rd). perhaps then some people wouldn't get leeds united about it.

i reckon we'll be doing very well to finish 3rd. a top 5 place looks likely but 3rd/4th could be pushing it a bit.

Not trying to be pedantic but I don't get your point in the first paragraph. In Scotland, teams outwith that poisonous city all set their targets for third, the only real achievable aim. This aim is achievable as the two Glasgow sides are invariably first and second. Splitting the Glasgow two is aiming for second. How can you say it is okay to aim for third but not second? If saying you are good enough for third is a credible aim, why is it not credible to suggest you may reach and exceed one of the Glasgow two? Whilst it doesn't happen very often, it does happen and we can testify to that. That particular year, we were good enough to finish second but not first.

As for the thread and our aims for the season, Hearts should be comfortably good enough for third. With the money we spend and the time that Jefferies has been allowed to bed in, third is our only target. Fourth is failure IMO.

Archived