Malky Robertson

systemx

WAy too many of the 'Hearts Family' of days gone by have left us recently. It's oh so very sad...;( :(

gorgiebootboy

one of my favorite players from the past we all new he liked a we tipple but boy could he play , i was also a member of the MALCOLM ROBERTSON HEARTS SUPPORTERS CLUB , what great bus this used to be all the boys will no me as the baker man ..........MR MALCOLM ROBERTSON REST IN PEACE ........a gorgie son who will never be forgotting ....................gorgiebootboy

I work with Malky's youngest son John, having seen his dad play a lot for Hearts it was always good banter between us as John supports Hibs, RIP Malky, condolences to all the Robertson family

When I was little before the fence was put up at Tynie my mate and I used to sit down the front of the Gorgie Road end on the wall leaning against an advertising hoarding. During one match Malky chased a ball that was going out of play. He got it, crossed it but his momentum took him crashing over the top of the hoarding and he landed in our laps. He sat up, said 'hello!' and ruffled our hair before going back onto the pitch.

An early hero of mine - sad news indeed.

Glamorgan Jambo

Very sad news.

A tricky winger and Hearts man through and through.

He used to frequent the bookies (Ladbrokes I think) in Nicholson Square in the 80s after his career was over. Took the time to talk to anyone who wanted a few words.

r.i.p

met him a few times in my own heavy drinking days and was in his pub the odd time. he used to go in the buffs club at the east end on a sunday morning sometimes.

Used to meet him on the High Street regularly while coming and going to my work.

A true Gentleman.

Malky R.I.P

The cup game on the ice at Kirkcaldy sticks out in my memory.Outstanding performance on the day,the only player on the pitch that mastered the conditions.

Malky was a bit of a player in his day and a bit of a lad off the pitch aswell. RIP Malky Robertson

That's probably my abiding memory of him. Nobody else could keep their feet and he was having a field day !

Game would never have started under current safety rules

Was with Gordon(Pogo) Smith earlier tonight and he said that He had had a call saying that Malky had died today.Anyone have any info?

Saw Malky play against Celtic for us and tear Danny McGrain to shreds. There weren't many could do that in those days. Another sad loss for the hearts family

Doctor FinnBarr

Sad news indeed, my thoughts are with his family and friends.

Another, as far as I remember that always gave 100%.

RIP

I wish they'd confirm it on the Hearts website. :unsure:

I suppose that is up to his family to say if it's OK for Hearts to make a statement.

51 Shirts -Moments in Time

RIP Malky, had the pleasure of having a couple of shandies with him and his banter was second to none.

I actually played in the same side as him in the Meadows in the 70's. I am sorry to hear of his death he was a good guy.

My first real memories for Hearts involved watching Malky Robertson. He was a big favourite of mine.

I geniunely was upset at this news when I heard this morning.

RIP Big Man.

I have many fond memories of watching Malky turn it on for the famous at Tynie and like paranoid android remember the cross to Liddell to win the 1st division title against Airdrie in 1980, what a night that was.

My sincerest condolences go to his family and friends. RIP Malky.

One of my first real Hearts heroes when I was a kid.

RIP Malky.

This. Was at the cup game in Kirkcaldy as a young 12 year old, Malky played a blinder that day and the game is about the farthest back I can remember clearly, which speaks for itself about his skills I suppose.

Condolences to the family.

Mr God Awful Ugly

Like many have stated already, Malky was my first Hearts hero too.

Thanks for the memories. RIP.

I had heard last night when i was at an East of Scotland game

One of my first Hearts heroes... RIP Malcolm..

Don't mess with the 'tashe.

Perhaps his epitaph

A good Hearts man.

RIP

Malky, Boaby Prentice and Drew Busby all came to the Drylaw Hearts POTY at the Craigroyston Community Centre in the late 70's/ early 80's. I was a young laddie and annoyed that he'd turned up as I thought he was going to take over from Boaby, until Mr P himself introduced Malky as a great guy and a bloody great player. Always liked him after that. The cross for Big Frank's goal cemented that. The first silverware I'd seen us win.

RIP.

Have spent a lot of time with Malcolm lately. As others have said,he was a great guy,always friendly and had time for everyone.could tell a cracking story and enjoyed a pint or two!

He was living down the High St,and was always a southsider.Born in Blackfriars St he never really moved far from his roots.Even after sampling Canada et al,Edinburgh was HIS city. Was very proud of his 3 sons (Malcolm,Sandy & Billy),altougth he attributed his greying hair to them,and was also extremely proud to be a grandfather doing the babysitting duties!

I was with him on friday,and actually drove him home as he was feeling unwell.We presumed it was a bug !!

I was due to meet with him this week...I honestly can't believe this news.

Rest in Peace Malcolm...

That explains a lot as I used to serve him when I was a ( crap )bank teller in the RBS North Bridge branch in the late 70s.

I remember when he signed from Ayr. I thought it would weaken them enough that we would avoid our first relegation but it was not to be. RIP Malky.

netherleejambo

Penicuik Athletic legend too - RIP Malky!

First watched him at Eastfield Park where he was amazing and was a member of the great Athletic team that made the junior cup final in 1970 (beating west coast teams all the way!) He went to Raith Rovers with Gordon Wallace and Murray McDermott. Delighted when he joined Hearts - a real winger with style (and a tache to match)

Still not confirmed on Hearts site. Strange. Can anybody 100% confirm it on here? Sorry to be a pain, but I hate loose ends!

Lynn :ninja:

I think he was what would nowadays be described as a character. Fine wee winger on his day and played from the Heart. Had the pleasure of having a couple of beers in his company in The Wine Glass at Newington (or whatever it was called at the time) circa 96, genuinely nice guy. RIP Malky and thanks.

132goals1958

This is very sad news which I have just found out.. He was a close friend of my late brother in law, and for the first time in years my wife and I briefly met him last Friday night in the Cannongate when there was a quiet bit of reminiscing. A genuine down to earth person who was also a very talented football player.

Still not confirmed on Hearts site. Strange. Can anybody 100% confirm it on here? Sorry to be a pain, but I hate loose ends!

Lynn :ninja:

Lynn...I can confirm for you. I have spoke with members of his family.

Really sad news. He always used to drive me mad with the number of times he'd run the ball out of play without getting his cross in. I think in my mind he suffered a bit from following Bobby Prentice who was a real hero.

He always gave his all though.

RIP

A friend of my Dad used to criticise Hearts players with comments such as 'I could do better than you!' One Sunday, he lined up at right back for his pub team to find Malky, who'd played for Hearts the day before, on the left wing for the opposition. Malky tore him apart, showing that there was at least one Hearts player who could do considerably better than him!

RIP.

Lynn...I can confirm for you. I have spoke with members of his family.

Thanks Mead'. I see it's up on the Hearts' site now aswell. Only 59 years old. Just doesn't seem fair.

Gutted.

Lynn

I met him when I was very young in my Grandad`s house during restoration work in Whitson. Pretty sure he was a plasterer, remember him saying he`d play for Hearts for nothing. Not long after he joined, the players were in dispute over money(think it was before a Scottish Cup tie at Dumbarton) and by all accounts Malky was the spokesman. Thankfully it all got sorted. They did lose to Dumbarton in the replay.

I too remember that game at Kirkcaldy after Bannon was sold and he was outstanding.

RIP.

just switched on the computer and went straight to the HMFC home page to be met with the news that Malky Robertson ,my first REAL hero is gone ,really am stuck for words to describe how I feel. Thanks for the cross for big Frank in April 80 Malky RIP My first hero xxxx cooky

forthriverjambo

Mind he got sent off

in what was the relegation

decider against Ayr

He lamped an Ayr boy

and was sent off

He cared

i remember that night vividly, i was only feet away from that incident when it happened, wee malky lamped the guy hollywood style, i remember hearing ssssssssmmmmmmaaaackkkkkkk!, wee malky got sent off, but the game was going tatsup up for us and we were down, i remember walking home with a very heavy heart(no pun).

Met Malky a few weeks back and over a few pints he told some hilarious stories about his time at Hearts and when he played in Toronto with the likes of Rab Prentice, Drew Busby and George Best. Great lad.

I went to watch him in Toronto he also played for Tampa he was a big Jambo.

He stayed down in Balmwell Grove for a while and I went to his door to get his autograph .Really nice guy. As others have said, a first footballing hero. He cared about the club. He was one of us. I'll also remember his two wee boys dressed in full Hearts kit going about Gracemount . He must have been so proud to wear the maroon . RIP

Malky played with pride and passion, something that some of our current players saddly lack. One of my first heroes for the mighty JT's.

RIP Malky

Condolences to the family

Teuchterjambo

I made my debut in Junior football for Tranent against Penicuik I think about 1968 and Malky was playing for Penicuik - he was absolutely unbelievable playing on the right wing and to this day have never seen a left back get such a roasting as ours did that day. I have never forgotten that performance and it frightened the living daylights out of me that I was coming into that level but fortunately there were vey few other Malky Robertson standard players around.

Great talent and a real character - condolences to his family.

I actually played in a charity match with malky about 6-7 years ago...after sending in a beckham-esque cross for the equaliser i fancied my chances when we got a free kick approx 25yds out....i went up to claim the ball to find this older guy insisting on taking it....anyway (i didnt know who he was @ the time) i assured him "ive got this one"....took the kick & stuck it just over the bar! Wasnt until after the game i was getting stick from some of the older boys...."i cannae believe u shunned malky for the free kick" it was only then my mistake came to light! Went on to speak with him for the remainder of the project we were working on @ the time, and indeed some of his stories were tremendous. A fantastic character, a fantastic man & im sure he will be genuinely missed. RIP Malky.

Archived