Malky Robertson

systemx

Was with Gordon(Pogo) Smith earlier tonight and he said that He had had a call saying that Malky had died today.Anyone have any info?

Gods a Jambo

Was with Gordon(Pogo) Smith earlier tonight and he said that He had had a call saying that Malky had died today.Anyone have any info?

Who is he? I knew a guy by that name who played bowls for Gorgie mills, other than that i don't know.

jambos are go!

Malcolm Robertson was a talented but somewhat wayward winger we signed from Ayr in the 1970s . His son played for Rangers and was an outstanding Schoolboy. RIP if its true.

Found this morning, suspected heart attack i understand.

That's a real shame.

Somewhat cruelly christened Malky the Alky he actually turned out for the Hibs a few times towards the end of his career I believe. As already said, "wayward" but by all accounts a decent bloke.

Far too young to have left us.

RIP

Sadly this is correct ...

I will always remember Malky Robertson for supplying the cross for Frank Liddell to score against Airdrie when we won the first division championship in 1980. I have also had the pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions over the past few years and he was a really nice bloke.

Thoughts with his family,

RIP Malcolm

Remember him well, very talented but much like Bobby Prentice he only showed it in flashes. Sad news if true. Were his best years with Ayr United before he came to us, or was it somewhere else?

Johanes de Silentio

Remember him well, very talented but much like Bobby Prentice he only showed it in flashes. Sad news if true. Were his best years with Ayr United before he came to us, or was it somewhere else?

I think Malky was at Raith before Ayr - I was very young when Malky played for us, but I think you're right to say that he was like Rab Prentice, or maybe even McQuade - a typical winger, in other words - not that consistent, but quite exciting.

I do remember Malky's corner for Liddell's header against Airdrie in the last game of '79/80, but I also remember a righteous 4-2 win against a pretty good Ayr Utd team at Tynecastle earlier that season - Malky scored at least one, and pretty much ran riot in that game. (Gibson and O'Connor also scored! :thumbsup: )

Mind he got sent off

in what was the relegation

decider against Ayr

He lamped an Ayr boy

and was sent off

He cared

gorgie_rebel

Sad news.

One of my favourite players back then.

Remember him getting kicked up in the air all afternoon in a game against Morton at Cappilow by their big centre half.

Further on in the game, this guy then gets himself caught in possesion and knocks the ball out wide and goes to chase after it....

Wee Malky must have covered 30 yards in about one and a half seconds....Took the boy, the ball and about 6yards of grass and mud all crashing into the wall at the bottom of the cowshed.

Don't mess with the 'tashe.

Thoughts are with family and friends.

Thank you for the memories Malky.

RIP

cousinsofnoone

Seem to remember him playing particularly well at Kirkcaldy in the Cup, the day after Bannon had been sold to Chelsea and LP covers were thrown on the park. The win calmed the support a bit.

The defeat to Ayr in 1977 was unforgiveable, though, and had long term consequences.

Not a bad player, hadn't realised I'd seen him play for Penicuik at Hampden.

Yo Yo the Parrot

Met Malky a few weeks back and over a few pints he told some hilarious stories about his time at Hearts and when he played in Toronto with the likes of Rab Prentice, Drew Busby and George Best. Great lad.

This is Shock. He was a great guy. Shared many stories with him at The White Horse Bar in the Canongate. He was a no bad chanter too. always had time for anyone

thoughts go out to Sandy and the family

R.I.P Malcolm

He was a drinking buddy of my father-in-laws in the White Horse. Lovely bloke.

I grew up watching the likes of him back in the day when football was a game for the working man - not the prawn sandwich mob we have to put up with these days.

Hopefully, the club will note this. A half decent player in unfortunately not the best Hearts side..

RIP.

Very sad news. Malky was a tricky wee winger. Had that kind of pitter patter short stride. He was superb on his day. I also remember the cup tie at Raith. The ground was hard as a brick. Malky slotted a double in that day. He just kinda skated over the grass!

RIP Malky.

Lynn :(

One of my first real Hearts heros when I was a kid.

RIP Malky.

My thoughts exactly.

For those struggling to remember him, look out your Back From The Brink video. Malky scored the Juanjo type curler against Rangers (I think) and ran away with his arms out wide and nodding like he did that all the time!!!

Have spent a lot of time with Malcolm lately. As others have said,he was a great guy,always friendly and had time for everyone.could tell a cracking story and enjoyed a pint or two!

He was living down the High St,and was always a southsider.Born in Blackfriars St he never really moved far from his roots.Even after sampling Canada et al,Edinburgh was HIS city. Was very proud of his 3 sons (Malcolm,Sandy & Billy),altougth he attributed his greying hair to them,and was also extremely proud to be a grandfather doing the babysitting duties!

I was with him on friday,and actually drove him home as he was feeling unwell.We presumed it was a bug !!

I was due to meet with him this week...I honestly can't believe this news.

Rest in Peace Malcolm...

Auldreekie1874

Malky was part of the first Hearts team that I had the pleasure of watching.

Sad news to wake up to.

RIP Malky

I remember making my way to an East of Scotland Shield game and saw Malky bouncing off the shop windows in easter road as he walked towards the ground. He played that day too, but I recall he did miss an open goal.

It is nice to read from people that knew him and he was obviously well liked as a man.

I remember him from his playing days, sort of, I was usually a bit out of my face. :rolleyes:

Therefore the most endearing memory I have of him is his moustache.

RIP Malky

HMFC will I am sure have a minutes silence/applause for him at the next home game and quite rightly so.

The cup game on the ice at Kirkcaldy sticks out in my memory.Outstanding performance on the day,the only player on the pitch that mastered the conditions.

Malky was a bit of a player in his day and a bit of a lad off the pitch aswell. RIP Malky Robertson

Punks No Deid

RIP Malky, lightened up a few games when Hearts were .. shall we say not at their best!

He was before my time. But I watched the league cup game against Celtic ( velicka with the two goals) in the cannons gait. And got talking to him.

Nice guy. Told us a few stories. And was delighted when we beat Celtic 2-0

Rest in piece

Guest Dipped Flake

Real shame. Met him a few times and was a great laugh. Also on his day a great winger. Travelled on the Malky Robertson bus in the 70s too....

Billy the Jambo

Sad news i didnt know him that well but he always had a chat with me whenever i seen him .Great guy good player .I hope Hearts do a minutes applause at the next league game at Tynecastle

RIP Malcolm, my deepest condolences go to the family at this very sad time. As somebody already posted , hopefully the club will have a minutes silence or applause in his memory.

Mind he got sent off

in what was the relegation

decider against Ayr

He lamped an Ayr boy

and was sent off

He cared

Your bang on mate he did care ...remember it like it was yesterday.. hand in the air what have i done ref !

RIP Malky

Say What Again
Shared many stories with him at The White Horse Bar in the Canongate.

The same place I blethered away to him over the past few years.

RIP Malky

Archived