Times Interview

Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

Excellent positive interview in this mornings Thunderer,with Jefferies and Speirs

Totos career held back with Metz because he had to return to Cameroon due his fathers illness.

Mccarthy endorsement of Elliott by mCcarthy after Wolves game.

Still wants Bryson and one more striker

Perhaps someone with more technical ability can post the full interview

Genghis Khan

Excellent positive interview in this mornings Thunderer,with Jefferies and Speirs

Totos career held back with Metz because he had to return to Cameroon due his fathers illness.

Mccarthy endorsement of Elliott by mCcarthy after Wolves game.

Still wants Bryson and one more striker

Perhaps someone with more technical ability can post the full interview

You mean someone with a paid subscription to the site?

Colonel Kurtz

You mean someone with a paid subscription to the site?

No

I get free access as a times plus member, which you get with subscription.

However I dont know how to do it

The Comedian

No

Highlight it all, right click, select copy then past onto a new post here.

:thumbsup:

No

Just do a Barry Anderson - remember to add in phrases like "a Hearts insider" or "Hearts sources" which gives you license to make up whatever you want

CTRL & C then CTRL & V

Do The Dance

Just do a Barry Anderson - remember to add in phrases like "a Hearts insider" or "Hearts sources" which gives you license to make up whatever you want

CTRL & C then CTRL & V

Ha ha.

:thumbsup:

tommythejambo

Now that they have implemented a charge, they may have disabled copy and pasting?

Now that they have implemented a charge, they may have disabled copy and pasting?

If so Print screen and upload the picture to image shack or something similar then post the link.

open the page in the times. open a new page of jkb and go to post reply. then simply type the aerticle from the times into the jkb page and post reply. simple (you could have had it done by now). :ninja:

Colonel Kurtz

Come on CK, just type it out! :mellow:

Christ son,it would take me until lunchtime

I cant even find the piece on the Times site

cmon CK. pm Dexter your login details. The suspense is killing me!

Don't say your going to have a press conference at 3 to announce the details. THEY NEVER SEEM TO HAPPEN!

Colonel Kurtz

Thanks mate

Used to drink in a boozer in Hackney at the top of matelot Street cant remember the name

cheers hackney.

reading that, i'd be amazed if we dont make another effor to get bryson. JJ also makes a dry dig at johnson.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Speirs claims that we have signed Toto, is that correct? I do not remember confirmation of that.

Good interview though. :thumbsup:

Very interesting article ty HH

Intriguing he states the following - "My main point of contact on a daily basis is with Sergei Fedotovas, the club director, and with Alex Metlitski, the club?s sporting director. I think me and Alex get along fairly well."

Could be seeing something that is not there in him not mentioning Sergei in the same sentance.

Still he does seem happy with the squad he has and the improvements being made and accepts that dealing with the mad one is a different task than hes used to (and accepts it).

All bodes well for the future.

Hackney Hearts

Used to drink in a boozer in Hackney at the top of matelot Street cant remember the name

Don't know a Matelot Street.... there's a Martello Street - runs along London Fields? In which case the pub would be the Pub On The Park (formerly the Queen Eleanor).

Speirs claims that we have signed Toto, is that correct? I do not remember confirmation of that.

Good interview though. :thumbsup:

I don't recall there being confirmation of Mroweic returning yet either.

Marmeladent?rtchen

Players in: Darren Barr (Falkirk), Adrian Mrowiec (Kaunas, loan), Kevin Kyle (Kilmarnock), Jonathan Toto (free agent), Stephen Elliott (Preston North End).

So have we signed Toto? :unsure:

Colonel Kurtz

Speirs looks like the sort of chap who eats his lunch in the John Lewis cafe.

Gourmet Pasta in Morningside last time I talked to him

One more striker in.I take it he means Toto ?

Good article though.

That's not how I read it. JJ seems to be talking about Toto as being outside the first team. I think he is looking at another striker and a midfielder. From what he said just before the Elliott deal We might not be too far away on the one of the other deals either.

Hearts of Vladland

From what he said just before the Elliott deal We might not be too far away on the one of the other deals either.

As in before the Elliott deal in the article or before the Elliott deal in general? Do you mean when he said we are looking at a couple of players and one is close?

That's not how I read it. JJ seems to be talking about Toto as being outside the first team. I think he is looking at another striker and a midfielder. From what he said just before the Elliott deal We might not be too far away on the one of the other deals either.

Maybe Clarkson after all ?

As in before the Elliott deal in the article or before the Elliott deal in general? Do you mean when he said we are looking at a couple of players and one is close?

Sorry, I was not particularly clear there. I have posted the article I was talking about on a new thread as I thought it might be a bit off the topic on this one.

The bit I was talking about was this:

JJ hints at another striker

Jim Jefferies tonight revealed that he's moving closer to the addition of another striker following the recruitment of Kevin Kyle earlier in the summer.

The Hearts manager has been working away feverishly at trying to add a fresh face to the Gorgie squad.

Article continues

Advertisement

And JJ admitted he might yet be able to add the forward to his pool in time for this weekend's game against Blackburn.

"We've got some enquiries going on at the moment for a couple of players that we are getting a wee bit closer too, especially maybe on the striking front," he told Hearts.TV tonight after tonight's friendly defeat to Wolves.

"We are hoping it will go our way in the next 48 hours and that we might have a wee chance of something for Saturday but if we don't we'll keep working for the St Johnstone."

When asked if he could give any clues the manager grinned: "I can't because I don't want to alert any other clubs!"

The manager, who was pleased with the work-out against strong opposition in Wolves, has also confirmed that Adrian Mrowiec is likely to be handed a deal at Tynecastle.

And Jim also confirmed that David Obua could now be a doubt for the start of the season after picking up a groin injury which is a little more serious that feared.

He also confirmed that Kevin Kyle is still a couple of weeks away from action and could miss the first game of the season.

Hearts of Vladland

I think if we do get another striker will be a complete unknown plucked out of somewhere, JJ has done it in the past and as he gets older his contacts will only grow and become better or Vlad maybe have someone in mind with could be a Witteveen or a Bednar which doesn't rule it done.

Malcolm Tucker

Well, isn't JKBMod 10 a wee jobsworth :teehee:

Could someone PM me the article s'il vous plait?

Well, isn't JKBMod 10 a wee jobsworth :teehee:

Could someone PM me the article s'il vous plait?

Basic summary(feel free to add/correct):

Jim sounds quite happy. Pleased to have deals in place for Kyle and Elliott.

Was asked bout Toto, said good one for the future was pleased with what he did against lower opposition and his 20 mins v Blackburn. Might loan him out til Crimbo or he might surprise us and fight his way into first team. Also gave some biographical about the reasons he left Metz. (Had to be absent from training to go back to Cameroon for the illness and death of his father. Came at a bad time and de-railled things for him at Metz. Looking for a fresh start with us.)

Jim mentioned that he would like another striker and a midfielder. (sounded to me like this was as well as Toto whom the author assumed we had already signed).

Jim was asked about Bryson and said he was still hopeful a deal could be done and that he "knew how the chairman" (of Killie) "works". Sounded like he was implying it was a case of brinksmanship that would lead to a last minute deal.

Sounded very positive all in all.

Malcolm Tucker

Basic summary(feel free to add/correct):

Jim sounds quite happy. Pleased to have deals in place for Kyle and Elliott.

Was asked bout Toto, said good one for the future was pleased with what he did against lower opposition and his 20 mins v Blackburn. Might loan him out til Crimbo or he might surprise us and fight his way into first team. Also gave some biographical about the reasons he left Metz. (Had to be absent from training to go back to Cameroon for the illness and death of his father. Came at a bad time and de-railled things for him at Metz. Looking for a fresh start with us.)

Jim mentioned that he would like another striker and a midfielder. (sounded to me like this was as well as Toto whom the author assumed we had already signed).

Jim was asked about Bryson and said he was still hopeful a deal could be done and that he "knew how the chairman" (of Killie) "works". Sounded like he was implying it was a case of brinksmanship that would lead to a last minute deal.

Sounded very positive all in all.

Cheers CMc, JR sent me the whole interview so thought I'd fire through it.

I don't think I can disagree with 4th as his prediction, as that is probably mine as well.

Agreed that it is quite interesting that JJ says he knows how Michael Johnson works and negotiates, that says to me that we will put in another bid for Bryson, and it may be one that Johnson has to take a serious look at this time.

I'm liking that JJ likes Toto, and I'm liking that he isn't planning to thrust him straight into the 1st team like some of the folk on here! I reckon a loan spell for the laddie would be best, get his confidence up etc. (This is assuming he has signed, of course).

Good article, nice read. Pretty much everything I've now come to expect from Graham Spiers.

Malcolm Tucker

Shhh. Don't tell the mods. :whistling:

John Robertson is gonna be piiiiissed at me.

Jim mentioned that he would like another striker and a midfielder. (sounded to me like this was as well as Toto whom the author assumed we had already signed)

FFS another striker !!!!!! AND a midfielder !!!!!...AND Toto !!!!! I feel a strange stirring in my loins all of a sudden.

jamtartsandbees

Last updated August 10 2010 12:01AM

Graham Spiers begins his countdown to the start of the SPL season by chatting with the Heart of Midlothian manager

You always get the impression when talking to Jim Jefferies that this is an authentic football man absolutely steeped in his game. The Heart of Midlothian manager is on the cusp of his 23rd successive season as a coach and, as usual, is utterly savouring the prospect.

He was up to an old Jefferies trick yesterday ? relishing his ability to pluck players from relative obscurity and give them a stage. On Saturday, Hearts fans were taken aback to see a young Cameroonian, Jonathan Toto, go on for the final 20 minutes against Blackburn Rovers in the pre-season friendly at Tynecastle. Toto is the latest in a long line of players whom Jefferies, ever casting his net, has uncovered.

They don?t always work out. Over all the years of his building of teams, Jefferies has discovered quite a few players ? as well as one or two duds. Don?t mention Hans Eskilsson to him. But, with limited finance ever his companion, he has a canny way about him.

?It?s like all these things ? you look around, you cast your net, you hope to find a player,? he says. ?Jonathan Toto was brought to our attention by an agent who we have used before, and come to trust, and I told him to bring the lad here to have a look at him.

?It?s a sad story in a way. Toto is from Cameroon, and came through the youth ranks at Metz, but he had to return home last year when his father took ill. His father eventually died, and the lad?s career just seemed to stall.

?I see something in him that we think we can work on and cultivate. He has played in bounce games for us against Coldstream and Dunbar, and scored quite a few goals, so we gave him those 20 minutes against Blackburn on Saturday. We thought he showed up well.

?It may be that we put him out on loan to a lower-division team, or that he quickly proves that he can be a first-team player. Who knows? It?s just part and parcel of trying to build a new team.?

The looming 2010-11 season that kicks off on Saturday will be Jefferies?s eighth campaign as Hearts manager, over two tours of duty. It is very different at Tynecastle today from back in 1995. The very mention of Vladimir Romanov, and the unorthodox ways of the club?s Lithuanian owners, is something Hearts fans are forever debating.

?The structure of the club now is obviously different,? Jefferies says. ?In the 1990s my chairmen were Chris Robinson and Leslie Deans and I?d see these guys every day. Obviously, it?s not like that now. Mr Romanov has been over here twice since I came back, and I?ve been over to Lithuania once to see him.

?My main point of contact on a daily basis is with Sergei Fedotovas, the club director, and with Alex Metlitski, the club?s sporting director.

?I think me and Alex get along fairly well ? our working relationship is fine. He?s an ex-player, who played for Belarus, and we?re on a similar wavelength. Obviously, though, it?s not the conventional way of it here in Scotland.?

The Hearts fans crave a bit of stability under Jefferies, after Romanov?s habit of going through managers like prized turkeys over the past five seasons. If experience counts in the Gorgie hot seat, the 59-year-old Jefferies ticks every box.

?I?m older and wiser, and I hope it shows,? he says. ?More than anything, you need to gain the trust of your players. And you also need to get the fans on your players? side.

?I?m a dyed-in-the-wool Jambo, and the expectations of Hearts fans stay the same. They expect the club to be chasing honours and getting to cup finals. The last time I was here in the 1990s, I took the club to three cup finals, so I would like to repeat that. There are some similarities with before. When I was first appointed Hearts manager in 1995 the club had been struggling, it had skirted with relegation, and a lot of illustrious players were coming to the end of their careers.

?I had some hard decisions to make. I had to change the team around, bring new players in, and we had some success.

?Guys like Laryea Kingston and Michael Stewart have left. I?m not saying what was done in the recent past was wrong, but we are going to change things.

?We want Hearts to play more open football, with the ball down, with more passing, and with more chances being created. That?s why I?ve just put the players through the hardest pre-season many of them have ever had.

?To survive in this league, which is high-tempo, and play the way we want to play, my team will have to be supremely fit.?

Jefferies missed out on re-signing Paul Hartley ? a complicated affair, perhaps partly affected by the player?s well-documented previous fall-out with the club ? but yesterday concluded a deal for Stephen Elliott, the Ireland striker. Craig Bryson, of Kilmarnock, also remains on his radar.

?Bringing Elliott to Hearts is now done and dusted,? he said. ?He could be quite a player for us and is sacrificing a lot in terms of wages to come here.

?Elliott played for Mick McCarthy at both Sunderland and Wolves, and Mick said to me, ?Jim, if I were in Scotland, I?d sign Elliott right away.?

?At Preston, with a change of manager there, it hasn?t worked out for him, and he just wants to get his career going again. He?s also what we need ? a lad who can twist and turn and do different things around the box.?

The quest to get Bryson, a player who Jefferies believes would be a latter-day Colin Cameron for Hearts, remains more tricky.

?I hope that door is still open,? he said. ?We have put in a bid for Craig which Kilmarnock rejected, and that is their prerogative. Remember, I was there, so I know exactly how Michael [Johnson, the Kilmarnock chairman] will negotiate.

?I just feel, if I get one more striker and one more midfielder in, I?ll have a squad which I hope will challenge at the top end of the table.?

Manager: Jim Jefferies. Age: 59.

Style: Dogged, grumpy.

Players in: Darren Barr (Falkirk), Adrian Mrowiec (Kaunas, loan), Kevin Kyle (Kilmarnock), Jonathan Toto (free agent), Stephen Elliott (Preston North End).

Players out: Laryea Kingston, Michael Stewart, Jos? Gon?alves, Christian Nade, Jamie Mole, Mark Ridgers.

Good article. I like Graham Spiers. I don't normally read Old Firm stuff but when Spiers writes it I do as I feel it os going to be sensible stuff with not too much pishy nothingness that you get in the tabloids.

I didn't like how he always had a go at Laszlo when talking about him although he was stating fact. It is obviously going to help that he has great respect for JJ so we should get a bit more positivity towards us.

Archived