Holiday/trip advice and suggestions

Benzinho

OK, need some advice and suggestions here.

Me and the missus want to go on a holiday/trip before we start adding new jambos to the world, as we're both quite fond of travelling to new places and realise it won't be so easy to go the kind of places we like to go with sprogs in tow.

We want to go outside of Europe as we've already been around Europe a fair bit. We've also been to Thailand, Japan, Dubai, Maldives, New Zealand, Fiji, South Africa (the wife's south african) and the USA so we want to go somewhere we haven't been, and no 'resorts' either. We'd want to travel about and see the country a bit.

We've been looking at central and south america but the flights seem so expensive so we're open to any suggestions. Our budget is probably about a grand each maximum for two weeks but we'd like less than that if possible.

So, where have fellow JKBr's been that they'd recommend? Any suggestions on great places we can go for not too much? If you could recommend one place to go in the world, what would it be?

Thanks in advance.

Suspect Device

you sound like sun worshipers

try something different, go and learn to ski or snowboard

if you've got any adventure in you, you wont regret it

lying on a beach getting burnt and bored or sliding down a mountain on a blue powder day, hmm, i know which one i'd choose every time :cool:

India or Sri Lanka. I've visited neither but will. My boss was brought up in India and always says that within a day you will either love or hate India for ever. A country like that fascinates me.

something i've never done, but would love to do, would be to hire a boat or wee yacht type thing, and travel the mediterranean islands.

that would be cool

Aright man

You should maybe give Russia consideration as i've heard plenty good reviews and it's a bit different from all your other destinations. Scandanavia could also be cool but would be hard to do on a budget.

Also Argentina could be idea, the flights will be expensive but the country is on its knees and everything is cheap as chips so should balance the books.

you sound like sun worshipers

try something different, go and learn to ski or snowboard

if you've got any adventure in you, you wont regret it

lying on a beach getting burnt and bored or sliding down a mountain on a blue powder day, hmm, i know which one i'd choose every time :cool:

I've actually skied for years and have been to Italy and France and learnt to snowboard as well so not so different for me I'm afraid. Would love to go skiing at the moment but a dodgy knee prevents that right now.

India or Sri Lanka. I've visited neither but will. My boss was brought up in India and always says that within a day you will either love or hate India for ever. A country like that fascinates me.

Yeah, fancy India myself but the wife's not so keen. She could maybe be persuaded though.

Aright man

You should maybe give Russia consideration as i've heard plenty good reviews and it's a bit different from all your other destinations. Scandanavia could also be cool but would be hard to do on a budget.

Also Argentina could be idea, the flights will be expensive but the country is on its knees and everything is cheap as chips so should balance the books.

Brazil would be my preferred option if I was going to South America but Argentina would be cool too. I'd quite like to go to the Iguazu Falls on the border of Brazil and Argentina.

oooooh sao paolo is meant to be stunning. cludgies mate is from there, and he tells us what its like all the time.

i fancy seeing venezuela too, a wee trip to angel falls perhaps

Legend Claws

Hi mate,

On a grand each (does that include flights?) then abviously you need to not be flying too far

Have you been to Italy? I know it seems obvious but I have travelled a lot (and still am) and Italy blew my mind. You can see a lot of it in 2 weeks and the range of scenery and towns etc is fantastic! Start off in the Cinque Terra and work your way from there. Not to mention the food! Well I just did...

Hi mate,

On a grand each (does that include flights?) then abviously you need to not be flying too far

Have you been to Italy? I know it seems obvious but I have travelled a lot (and still am) and Italy blew my mind. You can see a lot of it in 2 weeks and the range of scenery and towns etc is fantastic! Start off in the Cinque Terra and work your way from there. Not to mention the food! Well I just did...

Yeah, been to Italy before and I love it too. They've got the lot really, the history in the cities, the countryside, the food, the football, the cars, the fashion, .........the women (don't tell the wife that one though!).

I've been to Rome, Florence, Verona and Lake Garda before but I'd also love to go to Venice, Pisa, Siena, Milan, Sorrento, Sicily, the Adriatic coast and maybe Lake Como too so maybe Italy wouldn't be a bad idea if outside of Europe looks like costing too much.

Where's Cinque Terrra?

Get to Peru. Hike the Inca Trail. Get to Tanzania and climb Mt Kilimanjaro, Either of those will let you know you are living. I have had the pleasure of both and if you are reasonably fit, you will get so much from it.

Peru is especially rewarding. It has the benefits of staying in and experiencing an ancient culture.

wheatfield to sheffield

How about Syria? I worked there for a while and I think Aleppo is the 2nd most fantastic city in the world (after Edinburgh obviously). Damascus is also a great place. It's a country that has loads going for it - cities, markets, deserts, hills, rivers, scenery, culture ... and because there are no religous laws in the Syrian Arab Republic - beer is easily available!

Flights should be well less than ?500 for the two of you to get to Damascus.

How about Syria? I worked there for a while and I think Aleppo is the 2nd most fantastic city in the world (after Edinburgh obviously). Damascus is also a great place. It's a country that has loads going for it - cities, markets, deserts, hills, rivers, scenery, culture ... and because there are no religous laws in the Syrian Arab Republic - beer is easily available!

Flights should be well less than ?500 for the two of you to get to Damascus.

You could also have a go at suicide bombing:confused:

p.s. just book single flights:rolleyes:

Mexico.

Fabulous place, wonderful food. Beautiful scenery particularly in the South and South East. Massive number of fantastic historical sites - Aztec pyramids, Mayan pyramids etc. Nice cities like San Christobal and Oaxaca. And access to diving etc in the Yucatan. We hired a car and drove around for 3 1/2 weeks. One of the best trips I've been on.

Peru doesn't have such good food, but the scenery and historical sites are brilliant too.

Suspect Device
I've actually skied for years and have been to Italy and France and learnt to snowboard as well so not so different for me I'm afraid. Would love to go skiing at the moment but a dodgy knee prevents that right now.

fair enough mate :).

favourite place (apart from on snow ;)) that i've been to lately was Hong Kong. wasn't so sure before i went, but really enjoyed it.

Peru doesn't have such good food, but the scenery and historical sites are brilliant too.

You are obviously forgetting about the local delicacy, Guinea Pig.

Brazil would be my preferred option if I was going to South America but Argentina would be cool too. I'd quite like to go to the Iguazu Falls on the border of Brazil and Argentina.

I'm in BsAs at the moment. While I would not say the place is on its knees as suggested earlier (far from it, in general terms), it is very cheap. You could get up to Iguacu for a 3 day trip for about hundred quid, easily. Costs around here are great - I had a delicious steak that was the size of my bicep last night, for about a tenner. The soccer here is also something to behold - a must do, at some point.

I much prefer Rio to here, as I think there is far more to see. Plus, I am sucker for the ocean (you would not want to swim in the River Plate estuary!) and you cannot beat Rio for that. Corcovado is also an amazing thing to visit - the view is unbelievable. Have only ever seen Sao Paulo from the plane, but I do not huge inclination to go there. It is an absolutely vast city, though - bigger than anything I have every seen from an approach to the airport. Have not seen much outside of these cities, other than Macae, which is an absolute dump.

Another vote for Mexico.

Get a relatively cheap charter flight (or even a package) to Cancun, then get the hell out of Cancun. The Mayan sites are fantastic (Chichen Itza), as is Merida the old colonial capital of the Yucatan. When I did this we flew down to Guatemala to visit the Mayan pyramids in the jungle at Tikal - absolutely stunning.

Round it off with a few nights chilling out on Isla Mujeres - absolute paradise, and so laid back in the evening once all the Cancun day trippers have left.

Doable within your budget.

Would highly recommend Ecquador, including the Galapagos Islands.

You can fly from Quito into the Amazon forest (fairly cheaply) . If you can get a boating/camping deal on the Amazon, it's a trip you'll never forget. :)

chester copperpot

If you're planning to go to South America, then get to Columbia.

You can buy a G of marching powder for about a quid and get out your tree for 2 weeks.

Probably not your preferred option but there you go.

If you're planning to go to South America, then get to Columbia.

You can buy a G of marching powder for about a quid and get out your tree for 2 weeks.

Probably not your preferred option but there you go.

Comments like this get right up my nose:)

chester copperpot
Comments like this get right up my nose:)

Sniff.

Dont do drugs kids, its not smart and its not right.

OK, need some advice and suggestions here.

Me and the missus want to go on a holiday/trip before we start adding new jambos to the world, as we're both quite fond of travelling to new places and realise it won't be so easy to go the kind of places we like to go with sprogs in tow.

We want to go outside of Europe as we've already been around Europe a fair bit. We've also been to Thailand, Japan, Dubai, Maldives, New Zealand, Fiji, South Africa (the wife's south african) and the USA so we want to go somewhere we haven't been, and no 'resorts' either. We'd want to travel about and see the country a bit.

We've been looking at central and south america but the flights seem so expensive so we're open to any suggestions. Our budget is probably about a grand each maximum for two weeks but we'd like less than that if possible.

So, where have fellow JKBr's been that they'd recommend? Any suggestions on great places we can go for not too much? If you could recommend one place to go in the world, what would it be?

Thanks in advance.

what island you go to in the maldives? im heading there at end of april! cant wait !

Legend Claws
Yeah, been to Italy before and I love it too. They've got the lot really, the history in the cities, the countryside, the food, the football, the cars, the fashion, .........the women (don't tell the wife that one though!).

I've been to Rome, Florence, Verona and Lake Garda before but I'd also love to go to Venice, Pisa, Siena, Milan, Sorrento, Sicily, the Adriatic coast and maybe Lake Como too so maybe Italy wouldn't be a bad idea if outside of Europe looks like costing too much.

Where's Cinque Terrra?

Hi mate,

Cinque Terra is on the north west coast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinque_Terre

Absolutely stunning and unique!

coppercrutch

Some of the ideas on this thread are good. For 1k each however I think a few are a little far fetched, if the OP is wanting to have a good time. :)

Depending on the flight cost to India that would be my choice. Flight to Goa or Bangalore and then travel around to cochin, Kerala etc..

You can get overnight sleeper air con trains for a 10 hour journey for about ?15. Pretty decent hotels ?10 a night. When you arrive go to the local station. The big ones have tourist sections. You can sit down and pre book all your train travel in one go. Just get a hotel when you arrive. Don't worry bout getting a place, there will always be chaps looking for some business.

Food, ?5-?10 for the best 3 course curry plus beer you will ever have.

Of course you will need a load of jags but that is no big deal. The place is amazing. That part of the country has also got the best standard of living. So you will see bad stuff but not nearly as much as other parts of the country.

As I have said if you can get flights & insurance for less than ?500 then ?500 each spending money for 2 weeks would be more than plenty.

As a final crazy trip before being sensible I couldn't recommend it more. Mental place. Truly a whole different planet. Just persuade the bird. If she has done a fair bit of travelling before and knows the score India will be fine for her.

Just got back from Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt. It was fecking fantastic mate. A week in a 5 star hotel for ?495.

Sharm is quality as well, it's really quiet and relaxed, just the beach and the water. There's the bars and restaurants in a place called Naama Bay which is about 10 minutes outside Sharm.

There's day and overnight stays to Cairo, you can traval to loads of different little cathedrals outside Sharm, go to a Bedouin camp for dinner, scuba dive or snorkel in some of the most beautiful coral in the world, and go quad biking round the desert at sunset. I done a 4 day Scuba course and it was fantastic. As was the quad biking.

Christ I sound like a travel agent but honestly mate, I couldn't recommend it highly enough.

The Vulture

For sheer novelty factor, the best holiday I have been on was a safari in Botswana and then also visited Namibia. Was something so out of the ordinary too. I believe this time would be a great time to visit as the rainy season will now be over. I see that your Mrs comes from S. Africa so maybe she has done something like that ? It's a holiday i would love to repeat in the future.

what island you go to in the maldives? im heading there at end of april! cant wait !

We stayed at the Taj Exotica resort. It was for our honeymoon and it was absolutely amazing, sheer luxury! I'm not usually that keen on just doing sunbathing and not much else but it was perfect for a honeymoon. The service was unbelievable. Sometimes you'd only pop out of your villa for 10 minutes and they'd have been in and tidied up and left some fruit or biscuits or something.

For sheer novelty factor, the best holiday I have been on was a safari in Botswana and then also visited Namibia. Was something so out of the ordinary too. I believe this time would be a great time to visit as the rainy season will now be over. I see that your Mrs comes from S. Africa so maybe she has done something like that ? It's a holiday i would love to repeat in the future.

She's been to Namibia when she was much younger but amazingly she's never been on any kind of safari though! We should have a chance some day though when we go over to see the in-laws.

By the by, just in case anyone else is looking for a holiday recommendation, Cape Town (the missus home town), the surrounding winelands and the garden route are a really beatiful part of the world.

Cheers for all the suggestions folks. Plenty to think about there. After a lot of thought though, I think I'm going to go with andy68hearts idea and go get off my face in Colombia! ;)

Keep the suggestions coming though.

I would say Norway but 2 weeks would be stretching it a bit IMO.

You could take in the midnight sun at Nordkapp, of course and the scenery is awesome but probably not 2 wks worth.

Iceland could be more up your street with its volcanoes and stuff, but I can't personally recommend it as I've not been yet.

Canada's another I'd say is a good 'un.

Or Shetland - it's frikkin' ace.:D

Hi mate,

Im just back from Belize for the 3rd time in 3 years, I can't get enough of the place. It does cost more than a grand which may rule it out.

This time we booked it all ourselves for about ?1500 each which included 2 nights in NY on the way back. If you want to go to Central/South America I can wholeheartldly recommend these guys http://www.reefandrainforest.co.uk they take care of everything for you and have excellent experience of whats good and whats not. We went with them the previous twice and the places we stayed were absolutely amazing. If you want to go heres a couple of places we stayed that I would recommend

http://www.chanchich.com/ secluded site with sheer luxury slap bang in the middle of the jungle, built on a mayan reserve.

http://www.victoria-house.com/index.cfm in contrast some condos on the beach in San Pedro, 20 min boat ride to the barrier reef for snorkeling scuba or fishing. The town itself is small with hardly any real cars everyone drives around on golf carts.

If you want to know anything about Belize let me know, I cant recommend the country or its people highly enough.

All the best

Stewart MacD

Malaysia - it has big city, cool highlands and tropical beaches.

KL has a dynamic feel about it (shopping heaven) and the Cameron Highlands are a couple of hours away on a coach. Cheap flights to Penang or Borneo and you can always fly Air Asia to revisit Thailand. Decent exchange rate.

You are obviously forgetting about the local delicacy, Guinea Pig.

One of the most minging things I have ever tried:boak:

Any suggestions on great places we can go for not too much?

Based on your criteria, I'd suggest the Philippines.

One of the most minging things I have ever tried:boak:

It was rather disgusting.It was looking at the poor beggar as it came to the table with its burned feet. I tried a couple of bites and couldn't take another. Local were looking out of the kitchen ending themselves. :P

Where's Cinque Terrra?

Pisa is dreadful. Its a pishy wee dump. Just avoid it OR if you have to go then you only need about 3 hours to grab lunch and see everything worthwhile.

Agree with Italy being awesome though. I have been to Turin, Rome, Milan, Florence and Pisa. Milan was the most fun personally. I visited/drove past Lake Como on a train and it was some of the most amazing scenery i have ever seen. Recommended.

Archived