Zaliukas And The Defence

Winston Ingram

Winston Ingram

A lot of this may have been lost amid the general gnashing of teeth about our lack of strikers....

Zaliukas has been particularly poor and off the pace this pre-season (have seen all of the matches except Gillingham). He almost sold the game at Millwall with one of his typical casual backpasses and goals have come right through the centre of our defence at Dunfermline, Milwall and again last night. For all Laszlo's failings, and there were many, I dont recall us losing such soft goals as the two at Millwall and the second one against Wolves.

Equally poor, in my view, was Zaliukas booting the ball into the stand and finger-jabbing in disgust when a free-kick decision was given against him last night. Two days after JJ pointed out this had to and would stop, the "captain" was at it!!

Whether he has his mind on a contract elsewhere, I dont know, but time to give the captaincy to Wallace and let Zaliukas concentrate in trying to get his form back.

A lot of this may have been lost amid the general gnashing of teeth about our lack of strikers....

Zaliukas has been particularly poor and off the pace this pre-season (have seen all of the matches except Gillingham). He almost sold the game at Millwall with one of his typical casual backpasses and goals have come right through the centre of our defence at Dunfermline, Milwall and again last night. For all Laszlo's failings, and there were many, I dont recall us losing such soft goals as the two at Millwall and the second one against Wolves.

Equally poor, in my view, was Zaliukas booting the ball into the stand and finger-jabbing in disgust when a free-kick decision was given against him last night. Two days after JJ pointed out this had to and would stop, the "captain" was at it!!

Whether he has his mind on a contract elsewhere, I dont know, but time to give the captaincy to Wallace and let Zaliukas concentrate in trying to get his form back.

Total Bombscare always has been always will be in my book. JJ was told he was to be Captain as Mad Vald ordered it. :down:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

For me the biggest problem was lack of pace... i am hoping that was down to them playing so many games in a short space of time in pre-season and not that this is a sign of what is to come in the SPL... Zal and Barr were given a torrid time by Doyle and co.

For me the biggest problem was lack of pace... i am hoping that was down to them playing so many games in a short space of time in pre-season and not that this is a sign of what is to come in the SPL... Zal and Barr were given a torrid time by Doyle and co.

Zaliukas has an attitude problem and never really gives me the impression that he really cares about the game.

When his attitude is right then he can be ok but he is always prone to making that one silly mistake that can cost you a game.

I suppose there are worse players around but personally I would be quite happy to see him go but I am sure that will not happen in the forseeable future

Zal and Barr were given a torrid time by Doyle and co.

We'll never face a striker like Doyle this season. He's superb, he was great for Wolves last season playing that lone striker role. He did to us what Drogba does to EPL defences every game, ?10M player.

Our defense might be a little suspect, but we can work on that. With Barr added to our back line, I think once the season gets going we'll be resolute against every team we face.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

We'll never face a striker like Doyle this season. He's superb, he was great for Wolves last season playing that lone striker role. He did to us what Drogba does to EPL defences every game, ?10M player.

Our defense might be a little suspect, but we can work on that. With Barr added to our back line, I think once the season gets going we'll be resolute against every team we face.

It is a mercy that we will not be seeing the likes of him week in and week out in the SPL and with Gwyneth "Keano" Paltrow gone then do not see anyone doing our back line that badly again right enough.

Fatigue is bound to play a part too, couldn't help but think though, that Jose would have dealt with his pace better and dare I say it sheperded some of those chances out... Zal and Barr were toiling to keep up with the lad's shadow... ?10 million you say? Phew, won't be seeing the likes of that at the OF this season... thankfully. :ermm:

The Treasurer

JJ was told he was to be Captain as Mad Vald ordered it. :down:

And you know this as fact do you blink.gif

Never rated Zaliukas and never will. A big problem at Hearts is that all our central defenders are right-sided (Zaliukas, Barr, Kucharski and Bouzid) and we don't have a left-sided centre-half since Goncalves left. This should have been a priority along with another new striker and an attacking midfielder. The defence last night were all over the place and had we been playing a decent team, we've got slaughtered. Opponents aren't daft,they know straight away what their strongest side is, all they have to do is get the Hearts player on their weaker side and the games theirs. Our defence will be constantly under pressure this season if this isn't sorted out straight away.

?10 million you say? Phew, won't be seeing the likes of that at the OF this season... thankfully. :ermm:

Think he cost Wolves ?7M, or something around that, from Reading. If you were to try and buy him, you'd need to be offering at least ?10M and I'd say he's worth that, for the job he does. Everything you need in the EPL.

Miller, Hooper, Goodwillie and Riordan are the forwards I don't want to be playing against.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Never rated Zaliukas and never will. A big problem at Hearts is that all our central defenders are right-sided (Zaliukas, Barr, Kucharski and Bouzid) and we don't have a left-sided centre-half since Goncalves left. This should have been a priority along with another new striker and an attacking midfielder. The defence last night were all over the place and had we been playing a decent team, we've got slaughtered. Opponents aren't daft,they know straight away what their strongest side is, all they have to do is get the Hearts player on their weaker side and the games theirs. Our defence will be constantly under pressure this season if this isn't sorted out straight away.

That isn't what you would call a decent team?... that Wolves team would win teh SPL by about 20 points easy! :blink: probably as one third of a treble.

Winston Ingram

Well said. The lack of attacking talent will be exaggerated ten fold if we take to shipping cheap goals.

Never been a fan of Bouzid, but the best we have looked at the back so far was during the opening stages at Millwall. As others have rightly said, there is no pace elsewhere but thats one thing Bouzid does have. If JJ can get him disciplined, he should probably play.

Barr apparently has no pace (although he is surprisingly good in the air) and Zaliukas isnt mobile either.

the changes in the back line, barr, bouzid doesn't help. dont think zal and bouzid played together on a regular basis last season either. center back pairings are no different than strike pairings, it takes time to form an understanding, so i;m prepaired to give them a chance to gel before any whooha. i do think zal can be a bombscare one minute then very good the next though.

Total Bombscare always has been always will be in my book. JJ was told he was to be Captain as Mad Vald ordered it. :down:

People just make stuff up. What makes people just make stuff up?

That isn't what you would call a decent team?... that Wolves team would win teh SPL by about 20 points easy! :blink: probably as one third of a treble.

OK, bad choice of words to use, what i actually meant was that if we had been playing someone from the TOP half of the Premiership, we'd have got slaughtered. Not taking anything away from Wolves in any way.

Yes it was the start of Csaba's problems before he was bumped because he refused to make Zaliukas Captain at the request of the Owner.

OK, bad choice of words to use, what i actually meant was that if we had been playing someone from the TOP half of the Premiership, we'd have got slaughtered. Not taking anything away from Wolves in any way.

You mean teams who's lowest transfers are still in the millions? Yes, of course we would get slaughtered. Our wage bill is about 1/5th of even the bottom EPL sides.

No side we will play this season will have the resources of Wolves, and I include the OF in that.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Think he cost Wolves ?7M, or something around that, from Reading. If you were to try and buy him, you'd need to be offering at least ?10M and I'd say he's worth that, for the job he does. Everything you need in the EPL.

Miller, Hooper, Goodwillie and Riordan are the forwards I don't want to be playing against.

I don't worry too much about riordan tbh, he is only a threat from set pieces against us historicaly. Goodwillie is a class act, Miller can be dealt with if you are organised and as I do not watch a lot of English (?) football, I couldn't comment on Hooper.

Jose and Zal would have been able to deal with the forwards you list (that I recognise), I just hope that Barr or Bouzid can strike up a decent understanding with Zal... Pace may be an issue, without Jose though.

I don't worry too much about riordan tbh, he is only a threat from set pieces against us historicaly. Goodwillie is a class act, Miller can be dealt with if you are organised and as I do not watch a lot of English (?) football, I couldn't comment on Hooper.

Jose and Zal would have been able to deal with the forwards you list (that I recognise), I just hope that Barr or Bouzid can strike up a decent understanding with Zal... Pace may be an issue, without Jose though.

Did well for S*****horpe last year, considering their position. I fancy him to get on the end of a number of chances.

Agreed on Jose, he gave us something different. He was a proper athlete, and replaced Berra well.

Did well for S*****horpe last year, considering their position. I fancy him to get on the end of a number of chances.

Agreed on Jose, he gave us something different. He was a proper athlete, and replaced Berra well.

always find it amusing that s*****horpe is not allowed. easily amused :D

I'm not worried.

I'll admit that I've not been to any of our pre-season games so far but I rate Zal and I think Barr will do well for us as well. I think it'll take the two lads a few games to get on the same wavelength but they'll soon settle and become a useful unit. It's centre midfield and centre forward that we are desperately weak. That weakness simply has to be remedied before the St Johnstone game because without Kyle and Driver, I just can't see us beating many teams.

Tommy Wiseau

Zaliukas' big problem IMO is that he doesn't concentrate fully when he's playing teams he sees as 'lesser' or in less important games. I think he performs when we're up against it, and when we're playing some pish (St Mirren, Hibs, you know, pish) he can switch off.

If he sorted that he'd be one of the best in the league, as he already can be on his day.

HelloSunshine

So basically, the one area of our team that we could rely upon last season, can no longer be relied upon.

Signs aren't good then, sounds like we need to buy a whole new spine.

I'd like to see us sort the attacking problems first so that we at least have a chance of playing entertaining football.

Cut The Crap

From what I saw last night, Zal is no different from last season or indeed from any of the seemingly interminable number of seasons he has been at the club. Total space cadet. Depresses me slightly that this is our captain.

The Treasurer

Yes it was the start of Csaba's problems before he was bumped because he refused to make Zaliukas Captain at the request of the Owner.

Robbo-Jambo

Whats the story with his contract ? Was under the impression it ran out in December and talks were still ongoing and that Jefferies was unsure about appointing him as permanent captain until the contract situation was resolved. <_<

Is that the only comment you can come up with quote "And you know this as a fact do you"?

Is that the only comment you can come up with quote "And you know this as a fact do you"?

with the amount of stuff on here that is simply untrue it seems to me like a reasonable question.

The Treasurer

with the amount of stuff on here that is simply untrue it seems to me like a reasonable question.

Exactly.

If the poster were to back up these BOLD statements with some cold hard FACTS then I wouldn't have to continually ask for clarification of his "in-the-know" status.

Lets face it with one or two exceptions when people post comments on here it is either a personal opinion or a statement that they understand to be true.

My previous comments fall under the latter and as with most posters on here I am not going to reveal where I got my information from as it could result in an issue for the source.

To the best of my knowledge what I stated earlier is true.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Please do not depress me... it is so tantalisingly close to being a decent season next season and it irritates me to see not only Celtic (If Hooper lives up to your praise) getting in a goal getter but then Hibs have Stokes, UTD have a few inc' the excellent Goodwillie atc and we are struggling to get a goal-getter in.

It is just too frustrating knowing that we are in with a real chance of achieving something next season as long as we do not just (if we bring ANYONE in) go out and bring in a couple of humpties rather than a good striker and midfielder. if we get in a decent couple of players then i think we should be fearing noone in the SPL.

sigh...

The Treasurer

Lets face it with one or two exceptions when people post comments on here it is either a personal opinion or a statement that they understand to be true.

My previous comments fall under the latter and as with most posters on here I am not going to reveal where I got my information from as it could result in an issue for the source.

I'm really getting tired of in-the-know people hiding behind this pathetic excuse when asked to back up their statements with GENUINE FACTS.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

So what then?... we are just supposed to all believe you that what you say is true, because you claim to have a source who told you it but you do not want to divulge anything about the info, other than just a toss-away line stated as fact?

Well forgive me if I do not now just accept it as the absolute truth and until you can come up with some better and more compelling evidence of your bold claims then I doubt seriously that anyone else can be blamed for not really believing you on this one.

Big Zal is not a worry and we were told that Barr was top class so centre defence should be rock solid by the start of the new season.

Only a Game

We had a problem last night in that several times there was too much space between Barr and Zaliukas. I dont know if its because Barr has spent so long at right back that he tends to drift towards that area but there was acres of space down the middle of the two of them. Neither of them have got enough pace to get away with what they were doing last night. (Goncalves used to do it all the time but had the pace to get away with it)

The thing that bothered me about Zal is, if he's a captain and centre half he is supposed to be organising the defence at set pieces. We've lost at least 3 goals from set pieces in the pre-season and thats down to either bad organisation or poor concentration.

If its just down to Barr finding his feet we'll be fine once he does.

If its down to concentration we'll be alright once the proper games start (you'd think)

If its down to bad organisation it needs to be sorted out PDQ at Riccarton ( because the coaches are at least half responsible for organisation at set pieces) and Zal needs to start manning up and doing the job properly.

So what then?... we are just supposed to all believe you that what you say is true, because you claim to have a source who told you it but you do not want to divulge anything about the info, other than just a toss-away line stated as fact?

Well forgive me if I do not now just accept it as the absolute truth and until you can come up with some better and more compelling evidence of your bold claims then I doubt seriously that anyone else can be blamed for not really believing you on this one.

It's ok you are forgiven :lol:

Remember Zal's run, strike, and near goal against Celtic?

:thumbsup:

Thing is LP, that's not Zal's primary function in the team.

He should be judged on his all round defensive duties.

The worse he gets the bigger a cult he becomes

He should be judged on his all round contribution and effectiveness same as every other player

Drylaw Hearts

Unless he has agreed to a new deal - he should never have been awarded the captaincy.

I hope he doesn't want to stay though as I just don't think he's that good.

Of course he should, but there's no way I was the only one who came in their pants when he got to the edge of the box after that run.

For what it's worth, I think he's a good defender. The main issue with him, is his temperament, and his tendencies to go batshit mental. He can tackle, and he can command and arrange the team.

Ideal captain, from my point of view. If he goes, we'll really miss him and I'm prepared to be quoted on that, and his absence will hurt us.

I think we have a poor group of specialist centre halfs. Do not rate any of the senior players there, though have not seen enough of Barr. He did not look special at Falkirk however.

As a result our best central defensive pairing in my opinion is Jonsson and Wallace. But they are needed elsewhere. Barr deserves a good chance to see if he is up to it though.

I don't think many of the faults in Zaliukas' game have improved at all. He is so regularly out of position on the wrong side of the striker and lacks the pace to get back.

He should be judged on his all round contribution and effectiveness same as every other player

Let's take our biggest game of last season, the LC semi against St. Mirren.

Much lauded for trying to drive the team on once we were getting beaten.

Personally I'd rather him, Kucharski and Kello (awful positioning for the Mehmet shot) weren't posted missing at the goal.

Let's take our biggest game of last season, the LC semi against St. Mirren.

Much lauded for trying to drive the team on once we were getting beaten.

Personally I'd rather him, Kucharski and Kello (awful positioning for the Mehmet shot) weren't posted missing at

the goal.

So would I but we are never going to have a defence who don't make any mistakes. For me zal is a good player who suffers from lapses in concentration. When you take the whole package I consider the good to outweigh the bad.

I appreciate that others view him differently but he is improving every season and I look forward to him continuing that trend this season

So would I but we are never going to have a defence who don't make any mistakes. For me zal is a good player who suffers from lapses in concentration. When you take the whole package I consider the good to outweigh the bad.

I appreciate that others view him differently but he is improving every season and I look forward to him continuing that trend this season

Talk me through Webster's and Berra's defensive mistakes, for example.

I'll admit Zaliukas is a better player at stepping out of defence, but no more of an attacking set piece threat.

Totally agree with the OP... had a go at him for waving his arms around and pointing at folk after losing the 2nd goal last night ditrect from the throw in - needs to stop and get that f'n defence sorted out!!!! :verymad:

There is still time though... :rolleyes:

Talk me through Webster's and Berra's defensive mistakes, for example.

I'll admit Zaliukas is a better player at stepping out of defence, but no more of an attacking set piece threat.

Let me make one thing completely clear. Zal is not as good a defender ad Webster or Berra no arguments whatsoever

Teuchterjambo

Oh here we go again - unless something can be proven as fact then it can't be said. I thought this was a forum where people can share opinion and debate that opinion with others - opinion being simply one persons perspective or take on a situation.

It is the easiest ploy in the world to avoid entering reasoned debate by slamming the door shut on possibilities simply by saying that it is not a proven fact. Such retorts just go to stifle any real debate and indeed the denying of debate was the cornerstone of the society in which our glorious leader grew up in. Come to think of it he still hasn't managed to move into the enlightened world of debate - preferring to make pronouncements from his position of power and having no truck with discussion !

It is a shame that many on this forum show similar intolerance to open discussion.

BTW Treasurer this particular rant of mine is not targeted specifically at you (in fact I find some of your posts very good) - you just gave me the opening to make my point.

Archived