What Do You Wear To A Wedding?

Sten Guns

Wear the kilt if you're planning on looking for your Nat King.

P.S. This thread is a bit gay in places.

well you are wrong. A man might as well just wear a skirt :verymad:

Well each to their own then eh!

Tommy Wiseau

I think either is fine, however I think it is good patter to find out what tartan the wedding party are wearing and avoid it. To turn up wearing a completely different tartan is totally the way to go, if wearing a kilt. However, a nice suit always goes well. The truth is, wear what you want.

As stated above, I think the key is to be different from the wedding party. If your mates are wearing a different tartan that is cool.

Oh, and my old dear is going to the same wedding.:thumbsup:

:D

Aha! Should be a good one!

I wasn't keen on the same tartan as the wedding party had I gone for the kilt (at the last wedding I went to, only the groom and best man wore the same tartan and we each wore different as ushers), but quite a few of the other guys have done that for this one on Friday.

The skirt posts just reminded me of my Finnish mate who bought a school girl's kilted skirt for the Uni Sports' Ball because he found hiring too expensive!

The skirt posts just reminded me of my Finnish mate who bought a school girl's kilted skirt for the Uni Sports' Ball because he found hiring too expensive!

You see a lot of folk now in the cheap 'kilts' for sale up the Bridges/High Street, that are only four yards and made of such a light fabric that they certainly look like pleated skirts rather than kilts anyway.

Not that I've ever been married but would the couple not just be glad you turned up and made an effort to look a bit smart whatever you wear?

The Old Tolbooth

There's nothing smarter than a proper kilt outfit, it's very dressy and is part of Scotland's heritage. If I get invited to a family wedding, or one of my best mates weddings then I hire a kilt for it, but if it's just a normal wedding of someone I know then it's either a suit, or smart but casual.

You see a lot of folk now in the cheap 'kilts' for sale up the Bridges/High Street, that are only four yards and made of such a light fabric that they certainly look like pleated skirts rather than kilts anyway.

Hence why they're so cheap. We're getting these for going to Mexico. No concerns with the nick they'll get in for ?25.

kilts all the way although agree with earlier post to avoid tartan of groom/best man. even at reception i will wear kilt but just with jacobean shirt. i have had my own for years but geoffreys in the high street is a very good hire shop

tommythejambo

Do you know anyone else who is going to teh wedding and isn't part of the main party?

Why not ask them?

I P Knightley

I'd roll with a suit- A white suit, red fedora, blue neck scarf, and red platforms.

Lime green silk shirt with effoff big collar?

BoJack Horseman

kilts all the way although agree with earlier post to avoid tartan of groom/best man. even at reception i will wear kilt but just with jacobean shirt. i have had my own for years but geoffreys in the high street is a very good hire shop

I was at a wedding last week and there were only a couple of guys with the jacobean shirts and they just looked out of place. A little too informal in my opinion.

I was at a wedding last week and there were only a couple of guys with the jacobean shirts and they just looked out of place. A little too informal in my opinion.

maybe i did not write it clear enough i would not wwear a jacobean shirt to an all day invite but if i was just an evening guest it is more than smart enough

Very nice, would be better if it was a pic of you wearing it :thumbsup: haha

Well if you can hold on 20 days or so..... Ha ha

Was actually told when I went in I had an abnormal body shape. 31" waist and and a 42" chest.

Good old gym!

I do believe you are wrong. Suit kilts are very smart and modern.

You dont have a great track record when it comes to kilts so I will let you off with being completely wrong on this occasion.

BoJack Horseman

You dont have a great track record when it comes to kilts so I will let you off with being completely wrong on this occasion.

I'll have you know I have worn a kilt on many occassions. Including once when I wore a suit kilt. I have only ever worn a suit once to a formal affair and that was our graduation.

I'll have you know I have worn a kilt on many occassions. Including once when I wore a suit kilt. I have only ever worn a suit once to a formal affair and that was our graduation.

not wearing a kilt to graduation - that's strike one.

saying suit kilts are cool - that's strike two.

actually wearing a bloody suit kilt - that's strike three im afraid.

umpire.jpg

you are out.

BoJack Horseman

not wearing a kilt to graduation - that's strike one.

saying suit kilts are cool - that's strike two.

actually wearing a bloody suit kilt - that's strike three im afraid.

umpire.jpg

you are out.

You are like an evangelical Christian. You can't accept that others have a different opinion to yourself. Sort this out.

Wearing a suit to graduation looked very smart in my opinion. A kilt would have been fine, however I did not fancy it.

Suit kilts look very smart given the occasion. The guy who made my suit kilt also made Vin Diesels kilt.

vinhalf.jpg

Even though I don't think that kilt looks great. Vin Diesel would **** you up.

You are like an evangelical Christian. You can't accept that others have a different opinion to yourself. Sort this out.

I am happy for others to have a differing opinion from me as long as it is right. :thumbsup:

Suit kilts are the realm of dickheads and Americans. :angry:

BoJack Horseman

Thats no a kilt it's a skirt. Kilt's are tartan.

Usually, but not exclusively. A kilt is merely 'a knee-length garment with pleats at the rear'.

Usually, but not exclusively. A kilt is merely 'a knee-length garment with pleats at the rear'.

Correct me if I'm wrong (ha ha, of course someone will) I'm with you on kilts not having to be tartan (see SLOT pipe band), but is it not important how a kilt is made to differentiate between a kilt and a pleated skirt?

Archived