Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

great film with just the right amount of ridiculous action. :thumbsup:

A sign of things to come.... unsure.gif

Sterling Archer

Great film, better graphic novel.

I do need to get it.

terrific film. i loved it!

not seen from hell though, is it really worth watching?

Enjoyable film and well, Natalie Portman in anything (or nothing I'm guessing) is watchable.

Private Hudson

terrific film. i loved it!

not seen from hell though, is it really worth watching?

Good grief no! The film is awful but the graphic novel is a masterpiece. If you have any interest in Jack the Ripper or Victoriana then it's a must.

Sterling Archer

I don't like this post :down:

Guy's obviously just not cultured like the rest of us. :whistling:

How no?

Don't think I even got half way through it before turning it off, thought it was a pile o' pish!

Don't really get what all the fuss is about!

If you want a decent action film to watch you could do worse than "The Book of Eli" with big Denzel. And if you're on a hype ting with the post apocolyptic tilt, get some of "The Road" down ye. Now there's some decent films.

rossthejambo

Don't think I even got half way through it before turning it off, thought it was a pile o' pish!

If you want a decent action film to watch you could do worse than "The Book of Eli" with big Denzel. And if you're on a hype ting with the post apocolyptic tilt, get some of "The Road" down ye. Now there's some decent films.

:huh:I'm speechless with the amount of guff in this post :huh:

:whistling:

Private Hudson

My mate said that 'The Road' was the biggest load of mumbling miserablist manure he'd ever seen.

My mate said that 'The Road' was the biggest load of mumbling miserablist manure he'd ever seen.

A lot of folk who I've spoken to about it say the same thing...

I read the book a while back and I think that's why I enjoyed the film so much as it was a very good adaptation of a very good book.

Not exactly a barrell of laughs mind you...

Anyway aye, V for Vendetta is mingin'.

V for Vendetta isn't really a post-apocalyptic film in the sense that civilization still exists, just altered by events elsewhere allowing a facist regime to gain control. It has nothing in common with either of the films you list.

It's a reasonable adaptation of the novel, but at times it lacks pace being rather blandly directed, and some of the detective scenes are so profoundly un-cinematic it feels like you are watching The Bill.

Watchmen is still the definitive Alan Moore adaptation even if it is a tad po-faced in it's rigid adherence to it's source material's dialogue, which can sound rather stilted and wooden when delivered by the actors (is it wrong that I forgive Malin Ackerman's woodenness because she causes a similar wooden-ing effect to me! :P ). Visually it's miles ahead of V.

The Road is a film aimed at those devoid of the ability for intellectual thought. That would also explain the disdain being shown towards the masterpiece that is "V for Vendetta".

I like this thread so much I ordered the Blu Ray version of the film last night :thumbsup:

:huh:I'm speechless with the amount of guff in this post :huh:

:whistling:

A thread bigging up V for Vendetta yet slating "From Hell" is about as guff as it gets :thumbsup:

From Hell, great film. It's got it all, mad victorian cockneys, Heather Graham out on the whooore, and a shiiiit load of opium!

I really enjoy dystopia films.

V for Vendetta isn't bad, I don't really get why people love it so much. It's ok, the story is decent enough, I just didn't think it was that great.

Watchmen is still the definitive Alan Moore adaptation even if it is a tad po-faced in it's rigid adherence to it's source material's dialogue, which can sound rather stilted and wooden when delivered by the actors (is it wrong that I forgive Malin Ackerman's woodenness because she causes a similar wooden-ing effect to me! :P ). Visually it's miles ahead of V.

Coincidentally watched this for the first time last night. I agree with your comments entirely :thumbsup:

rossthejambo

A thread bigging up V for Vendetta yet slating "From Hell" is about as guff as it gets :thumbsup:

From Hell, great film. It's got it all, mad victorian cockneys, Heather Graham out on the whooore, and a shiiiit load of opium!

V for Vendetta is supoib.

Having never seen From Hell I couldn't possibly comment, after that short, yet superb, synopsis though I might be interested in giving it a watch :thumbsup:

Sterling Archer

V for Vendetta isn't bad, I don't really get why people love it so much. It's ok, the story is decent enough, I just didn't think it was that great.

It's because V was all of us. :lol:

The V for Vendetta and From Hell graphic novels are both infinitely superior to their film counterparts, although V was watchable. There is so much detail and research in the From Hell book that it is impossible to put it all into film.

I thoroughly recommend anyone who liked the films to buy the graphic novels ASAP.

dude. stop being a dick and get it watched.

:thumbsup:

dude. stop being a dick and get it watched.

:thumbsup:

Fine. I'll watch ALL of it tonight if it will make you happy.

I may even pay full attention this time :rolleyes:

The Road is a film aimed at those devoid of the ability for intellectual thought. That would also explain the disdain being shown towards the masterpiece that is "V for Vendetta".

I like this thread so much I ordered the Blu Ray version of the film last night :thumbsup:

Ah the old "you didn't get it because you aren't smart enough" argument. :rolleyes:

Frankly, the fascist backdrop of oppression has been done before to much greater effect in films like 1984, Dark City etc.

V for Vendetta does not convey particularly well the paranoia of the time in which Moore set his graphic novel and underplays the moral ambiguity (for example, they skipped the part where Evey goes out to whore herself).

That said, I do enjoy the film on it's own merits, as Hugo Weaving is just fantastic as V, but that doesn't mean I'm immune to the film's faults.

Private Hudson

V for Vendetta isn't really a post-apocalyptic film in the sense that civilization still exists, just altered by events elsewhere allowing a facist regime to gain control. It has nothing in common with either of the films you list.

It's a reasonable adaptation of the novel, but at times it lacks pace being rather blandly directed, and some of the detective scenes are so profoundly un-cinematic it feels like you are watching The Bill.

There's a very good interview with Alan Moore in a new comics magazine that's just started called Comic Heroes. It's something mental like ?7.99 but well worth it overall. Available from all reputable newsagents.:thumbsup:

scott_jambo

Voice of reason above.

Great storyline but the film could of done a bit better with it. Enjoyable watch though, stumbled across it when I used to go see lots of films at das kino.

scott_jambo

Here is another post as Im getting near the 4,000 mar and so am quite excited/ashamed.

'The Road' is unadultarated pish. An hour and a half waiting for something to happen, then it ends! They should encounter a monster on their travels along 'the road' where they have to cast spells or summon guardian monsters to defeat it. Would be a better film, imo.

Voice of reason above.

Great storyline but the film could of done a bit better with it. Enjoyable watch though, stumbled across it when I used to go see lots of films at das kino.

As always mate. :thumbsup:

One is a good read for those that are looking for novels. http://en.wikipedia....avid_Karp_novel)

They always follow the same path, but I like books/films that go into more detail about the world it is based on, rather than just the character and their perception of it.

It's easy to establish this in films. News reports and things like that, it's harder to do it well in a book without just boring the reader.

V is ok

From Hell, the novel is great!

I really liked the "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" graphic novel, but if I remember correctly, the film isn't up to much...

scott_jambo

As always mate. :thumbsup:

One is a good read for those that are looking for novels. http://en.wikipedia....avid_Karp_novel)

They always follow the same path, but I like books/films that go into more detail about the world it is based on, rather than just the character and their perception of it.

It's easy to establish this in films. News reports and things like that, it's harder to do it well in a book without just boring the reader.

Cheers mate, will look into that, always on the hunt for decent reads.

At school (about 7 years ago now!) the two books I did essays on for my higher was 'The Beach' and '1984'. Dystopia was the main theme running through the beach and 1984 was similar in its perception of a totalitarian society. In both cases the books conveyed it much better than the films. I like Orwell and read Burmese days recently, which was decent.

Almost finished Stieg Larsson's books, the storylines have alot of twists and the characterisation of the lead girl is perfect, While i've heard the film were shi**e..

Really wasn't at all impressed with this. Almost everything about it was unconvincing - plot, dialogue, atmosphere, acting. Clunky in the extreme. I ended up feeling as if I'd just watched the love-child of 1984 and Phantom of the Opera.

Really wasn't at all impressed with this. Almost everything about it was unconvincing - plot, dialogue, atmosphere, acting. Clunky in the extreme. I ended up feeling as if I'd just watched the love-child of 1984 and Phantom of the Opera.

:lol:

Private Hudson

And that's a bad thing? Sounds ace!

Archived