Why Would My Remote Control Just Stop Working?

jack D and coke

jack D and coke

This is really freaking me out my remote control for my DVD player and surround sound system has just stopped working. Batteries are new it lights up when you press the buttons but for some bizarre reason the DVD player doesn't respond! Doing my head in having to keep getting up to change the volume and stuff. What could be wrong?

heartsfc_fan

Try other batteries.

The ones that are "new" might be faulty and only have just enough charge to power the lights on the remote but nothing else.

Do The Dance

Have you dropped it? You may have damaged the circuit.

jack D and coke

Try other batteries.

The ones that are "new" might be faulty and only have just enough charge to power the lights on the remote but nothing else.

Not that just tried brand new ones.

Have you dropped it? You may have damaged the circuit.

Its probably been dropped a few times but not from any great height or anything. Totally pishing me off :verymad:

house electrics are creating an abnormally strong magnetic field IMO and it's monkeying about with the remote. try turning off all the circuits in the house at the circuit breakers and see if that works.

good luck.

Is it sunny and does the sunlight hit the IR sensor on your equipment? It sounds like the remote is working and the fault is at the receiving end.

Take your finger off the sensor at the front of the remote - or make sure it's clean, same with the reciever at the other end. Reboot your DVD player. Have a look at the instructions. Do it when sober. Ask the lady of the house to have a shot, then ask a 10 year and you can both feel humiliated. Go onto ebay and get a new controller.

Dave Spacey

Try and find the remote code, you should find it online (search for the remote for the home cinema systen you have) and programme it in again.

after batteries, the most common fault with remotes is dirt between the wee rubber buttons and the contacts on the board, happens to a lot of remotes. if confident dismantel and clean the board contacts and rubber buttons, but watch for springs poppin out as you dismantel it. the buttons should come as an all in one rubber strip which is a breeze to clean. the board contacts just need a good wipe no water to be used and reassemble. if it has been bounced a few times you may have cracked the board which would make it US. if all the lights are coming on, it sounds like the powers running through the board so it should be ok. if theres been water dam,age get the batteries out pronto, strip it down dry it off and leave it to air for a couple of hours reassemble and hope you havn't blew a circuit..

failing all that, theres some good all in one remotes kickin about for ?10ish might lose some functions but cheaper than ordering a new one from the manufacturers.

Archived