Watch out -- Hibs find secret of Hearts derby success

CJGJ

'my dad and a few others have said this for many years that the hibs strip always deceives the height of players. when you see the youth players in their track suits/own clothes they are much taller than what they look like on the pitch'

The strip is to blame making their players look smaller than they are so thats why we are always seen as the BIG TEAM :whistling:

Guest Bilel Mohsni

'my dad and a few others have said this for many years that the hibs strip always deceives the height of players. when you see the youth players in their track suits/own clothes they are much taller than what they look like on the pitch'

The strip is to blame making their players look smaller than they are so thats why we are always seen as the BIG TEAM :whistling:

Similar to the whole "The Yankees always win because the oposition players are all in awe of the pin-stripes" (Can't remember what film that was Bronx Tale?)... In fact there are a few of these kind of sports psychology theories around, here are a few.

Red teams in a league are usually more successfull than Blue, when the teams are otherwise equally matched.

Brasil often have a game won before a ball is kicked because their yellow tops signify their superiority of the past.

Holland and Brasil move the ball around better because they are able to pick out a team mate a fraction of a second quicker due to their bright shirts.

The Yankees always win because the oposition players are all in awe of the pin-stripes.

White socks or boots make you look faster and confuse your opponent more.

These are few of the ones I have heard... the only ones that I would give any time of day to would be the Brasil have you beat before a ball is kicked and the white socks/boots and even then I reckon you can coach that sort of thing out of a player.

Interesting though.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

After thinking about the OP and the bit about Brasil/NY Yankees winning before a ball is kicked due to what the shirt represents...

You have to say that this must have been something the Hobos actually experienced at the sight of the famous maroon. You could not go for two such long runs without winning against your derby rivals and not feel a gut-wrenching surge of hopelessness at the sight of your opponents shirts when they take positions in front of you for the umpteenth time. :woot:

Similar to the whole "The Yankees always win because the oposition players are all in awe of the pin-stripes" (Can't remember what film that was Bronx Tale?)... In fact there are a few of these kind of sports psychology theories around, here are a few.

Red teams in a league are usually more successfull than Blue, when the teams are otherwise equally matched.

Brasil often have a game won before a ball is kicked because their yellow tops signify their superiority of the past.

Holland and Brasil move the ball around better because they are able to pick out a team mate a fraction of a second quicker due to their bright shirts.

The Yankees always win because the oposition players are all in awe of the pin-stripes.

These are few of the ones I have heard... the only ones that I would give any time of day to would be the Brasil have you beat before a ball is kicked and the white socks/boots and even then I reckon you can coach that sort of thing out of a player.

Interesting though.

So JNimmy Hill was right then..??.... :thumbsup: ....feck me

Guest Bilel Mohsni

So JNimmy Hill was right then..??.... :thumbsup: ....feck me

What did he have to say on the matter?

"Red goalkeeper tops proved to prevent almost 100% more penalties! - 16 Apr 2010

Some quite astounding research is to be presented today by boffins at the University of Chichester, showing that goalkeepers wearing red goalkeeper shirts are almost twice as likely to face a missed penalty than goalkeepers wearing green goalkeeper shirts.

Russian Scientists Will Agree

Research like this has been published before - you may remember the case of the "Russian scientists" "proving" that orange is the most effective colour of goalkeeper shirt to wear, and apparently influencing Chelsea's choice of an orange goalkeeper shirt for Petr Cech, introduced shortly before the 2008 Champions League final. Not that it helped Chelsea.

This time, as reported in The Mail, Dr Iain Greelees, a sports psychology expert, and researcher Michael Eynon, conducted an experiment to test the impact of shirt colours on saving penalties.

- 40 footballers from the university

- each player took 10 penalties (400 penalties taken in total)

- goalkeepers wore either red, blue, green or yellow goalkeeper jerseys

- the different goalkeepers all rotated between each colour of shirt, to remove "goalkeeper bias"

Adding to the opinions of Russian scientists - more evidence to the collection - and is in fact quite amazing data. For all you stat loving goalkeepers out there - feast your eyes.

Penalty success rate (i.e. number of times penalty takers score)

- Green goalkeeper shirts: 75% of penalties go in

- Blue goalkeeper shirts: 72% of penalties go in

- Yellow goalkeeper shirts: 69% of penalties go in

- Red goalkeeper shirts: 54% of penalties go in

This isn't just a small difference we're seeing there. The difference between red goalkeeper shirts and the most common traditional green colour is massive - almost twice as many penalties - 100% - stay out of the goal with a red shirted goalkeeper than with a green shirted keeper. Or to put it another way, with a goalkeeper wearing a red goalie top, a massive 46% of penalties were not scored!

The green goalkeeper shirt, or the yellow goalkeeper top, has traditionally been the goalie kit of choice for many footabll teams. Evidence like this, however, suggests that rational teams should switch the colour of their goalkeeper tops to red - or perhaps orange like Petr Cech's shirt.

Why are red kits the best?

Over to the boffins. Dr Greenlees said, "We have evolved to associate red with danger dominance or anger - there is a biological basis for this explanation...

At times of great stress we will pay more attention to threats in our environment, and red is more distracting which can affect the performance of the striker..."

The researchers also speculated that wearing red could boost the confidence of the keeper too. Not that many goalkeepers will admit to needing a confidence boost to help face penalties...

While these kinds of stats are hard to believe, the data is nonetheless very interesting. We are expecting to see a lot more red goalkeeper shirts on the football pitches around the globe next season...

Although we're at risk here of undermining the argument above with some dodgy speculation, the study also raises the question of whether teams wearing red kit in general tend to be more successful. Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool - all wear red of course. The great European sides - Bayern Munich, Ajax, have red on their kits. And the one time England won the World Cup, they had traded in their hallmark white shirts in favour of red..."

mahgrassyshoes

Interesting though.

That will be the reason for Kickbackers reaching the conclusion hearts play better with white socks...ninja.gif

iscoredatEEP

Interesting though.

The thing about the Yankees is in catch me if you can. A great film

gowestjambo

n they are The strip is to blame making their players look smaller thaso thats why we are always seen as the BIG TEAM whistling.gif

Oh No our secret is out, I was hoping they would never find this out, what are we to do - our whole plan is in ruins!

Archived