Rugby Week-ends in Edinburgh

Csaba's Broon Shoes

Csaba's Broon Shoes

What do you make of the international rugby week-ends in Edinburgh ?

When the egg-chasing sn-yobsters invade the pubs and clubs

flash their kilts and behave like lager louts for the day

It's all seen as jovial fun however when football fans gets wrecked

in the same all day sesh it's seen as hooliganism .

Any thought's ?

davemclaren

When the egg-chasing sn-yobsters invade the pubs and clubs

flash their kilts and behave like lager louts for the day

It's all seen as jovial fun however when football fans gets wrecked

in the same all day sesh it's seen as hooliganism .

Any thought's ?

They are a pain in the ass, but a lot less threatening and aggressive than some football fans I'm afraid.

I P Knightley

When the egg-chasing sn-yobsters invade the pubs and clubs flash their kilts and behave like lager louts for the day It's all seen as jovial fun however when football fans gets wrecked in the same all day sesh it's seen as hooliganism .

Any thought's ?

They are brilliant.

The difference with the football crowds is that there is regularly a threatening atmosphere and the two opposing sets of fans rarely seem to be able to get together without some nonsense breaking out.

The rugby crowds mingle and have a good laugh. Yes, there's bawdiness and rowdiness but as a passer-by you can watch it without feeling threatened. I wouldn't use your phrase of 'louts' for any of the rugby crowds I've seen.

If you want to get snobby about rugby crowds, calling them egg-chasers (which I assume you do in a derogatory way) then you do that. They won't give you any grief about doing so.

If you were to do similar to a football crowd, you'd probably take a kicking.

i despise rugby fans. Bullied at school the lot of them.

Give me a pair of sambas and a stone island jacket any day

Bunch of upper class, chinless ponces with names like Campbell and Findlay, who like to go and watch the "rugger", acting rowdy (ie, braying at all and sundry and making the kind of racket that'd have them marked down as troublemakers if it wasn't for the fact that they went to George Watson's) whilst doing so before going up the town afterwards and, in between slapping each other's bums and taking pictures of each other's privates, hassling girls that are minding their own business in a vain attempt at trying to appear heterosexual.

Finally, when the night is over, they all go back to Ewan or Tarquin's country mansion and play soggy biscuit. Egg chasing, skirt wearing, chinless ponces.

PeterCapital
Bunch of upper class, chinless ponces with names like Campbell and Findlay, who like to go and watch the "rugger", acting rowdy (ie, braying at all and sundry and making the kind of racket that'd have them marked down as troublemakers if it wasn't for the fact that they went to George Watson's) whilst doing so before going up the town afterwards and, in between slapping each other's bums and taking pictures of each other's privates, hassling girls that are minding their own business in a vain attempt at trying to appear heterosexual.

Finally, when the night is over, they all go back to Ewan or Tarquin's country mansion and play soggy biscuit. Egg chasing, skirt wearing, chinless ponces.

The exact response you get from a lower class cretin who still has a chip on his shoulder cos the parents couldnt afford to send him to a decent school.

Rah rah!

conn artist
The exact response you get from a lower class cretin who still has a chip on his shoulder cos the parents couldnt afford to send him to a decent school.

Rah rah!

this is one of the best responses i have read on the many threads about the rugby.

i like both sports, who cares, never went to any private schools but the majority of my friends did and i could not drag them to a rugby match if i tried.

Csaba's Broon Shoes
They are brilliant.

The difference with the football crowds is that there is regularly a threatening atmosphere and the two opposing sets of fans rarely seem to be able to get together without some nonsense breaking out.

The rugby crowds mingle and have a good laugh. Yes, there's bawdiness and rowdiness but as a passer-by you can watch it without feeling threatened. I wouldn't use your phrase of 'louts' for any of the rugby crowds I've seen.

If you want to get snobby about rugby crowds, calling them egg-chasers (which I assume you do in a derogatory way) then you do that. They won't give you any grief about doing so.

If you were to do similar to a football crowd, you'd probably take a kicking.

'egg-chasers' hardly derogatory , it's humourous banter

no doubt the rugby chaps have a nick-name for association football the

greatest game on earth ?

As for relating to a similar football crowd to dishing out a kicking over this

remark then you are the one being disrespectful , narrow minded , tarring

all football fans with the same brush .

The Tartan Army have the best reputation throughout the world ,

sorry about the sn-yobster thing though as most followers of the oval ball

are kid on wanna be upper class living of daddy's earnings .

PeterCapital
'egg-chasers' hardly derogatory , it's humourous banter

greatest game on earth ?

As for relating to a similar football crowd to dishing out a kicking over this

remark then you are the one being disrespectful , narrow minded , tarring

all football fans with the same brush .

And all football fans are lower class, council house dwelling, bread line living, poverty stricken miners who come from the gutter.

And Im yet to hear a name for football that the "egg-chasers" use.

I P Knightley
'egg-chasers' hardly derogatory , it's humourous banter In context?

greatest game on earth ? Never heard one - it's just another game and many follow both so why bother?

As for relating to a similar football crowd to dishing out a kicking over this remark then you are the one being disrespectful , narrow minded , tarring all football fans with the same brush .

I follow both sports with equal passion. The upper-class tw4ts I've come across in rugby make up a much lower proportion than the snarling, agressive heidbangers in football.

I've had a kicking after a football match and run from situations where I'm certain I'd have had others but never after a rugby match. Not narrow-minded or disrespectful at all; simply relating my experiences or my interpretation of them. I feel safe in a rugby crowd and would have no hesitation taking my kids to any match at all. For football, I have to think very carefully about taking the kids.

Not sure that your final remark marks you down as broad-minded and respectful.

I follow both sports with equal passion. The upper-class tw4ts I've come across in rugby make up a much lower proportion than the snarling, agressive heidbangers in football.

I've had a kicking after a football match and run from situations where I'm certain I'd have had others but never after a rugby match. Not narrow-minded or disrespectful at all; simply relating my experiences or my interpretation of them. I feel safe in a rugby crowd and would have no hesitation taking my kids to any match at all. For football, I have to think very carefully about taking the kids.

Not sure that your final remark marks you down as broad-minded and respectful.

TBH can see both sides of the coin here. football is about 70 times as popular as rugby in this country, this means that there will be a high propartion of **** that will come out for the football rather than rugby. Also in edinburgh at least i think only 10 % of all the schools in edinburgh activly have a team. Again it is most of how do are the private schools. So again more chavs at football regardless of what team they support.

Now to say the rugby does not attact trouble is daft. Anyone in the cowgate after the game will tell you otherwise. There is a small and largly noisey section of jocks that act like spoilt brats in the town and make arses of themselves. The problem is that they will get away with it because in the eyes of the staff it is guys having a laugh ! If they thought it was football fans they would get chucked straight out.

Again most rugby fans are sound and you can have a laugh with them, but the highly visble snobs really spoil it for the rest of them with there attiude !

The behaviour of rugby fans in pubs would result in barrings and negative press/media coverage if carried out by football fans.

Rah rah!

You seem awfully uptight. Not had any oatmeal treats recently? :sad:

Scotland beating Engalnd at football is something to get excited about.

Scotland beating England at Rugby is not.

Bert Le Clos
sorry about the sn-yobster thing though as most followers of the oval ball are kid on wanna be upper class living of daddy's earnings .

Can't agree with that I'm afraid. Origionally, and still in Edinburgh I would say that rugby is considered a more upper-class sport but elsewhere in Scotland I don't think it is.

For example rugby is arguably the biggest sport in terms of sucess in Musselburgh, Prestonpans and Tranent, none of which are upper-middle class towns.

I play for a Prem 2 rugby team and as far as I'm aware there are no ex-private schoolies in the team.

Can't agree with that I'm afraid. Origionally, and still in Edinburgh I would say that rugby is considered a more upper-class sport but elsewhere in Scotland I don't think it is.

For example rugby is arguably the biggest sport in terms of sucess in Musselburgh, Prestonpans and Tranent, none of which are upper-middle class towns.

I play for a Prem 2 rugby team and as far as I'm aware there are no ex-private schoolies in the team.

Ha, I see that you didn't deny the bits about bum slapping and soggy biscuit. :D

Ha Ha

You must be a privately educated boy yourself, with a response like that. Sounds like first hand knowledge.

Ha Ha

You must be a privately educated boy yourself, with a response like that. Sounds like first hand knowledge.

Soggy biscuit player, actually, but you were on the right lines.

Pete Seeger

I agree. Our school In Callander was anything but posh but rugby was definately the main sport of the school. The local side is Stirling County and by far and away the majority of them we're from normal schools.

Comparing Scottish rugby to club football is a bad comparison

How much trouble do you see after a Scottish international match? Barring England, none!

The rugby boys start off friendly enough with rival fans, but after some drinks there is always trouble up town

Also try growing up in a rugby town and going out in the pubs. The rugby boys as a group turn into an aggressive bunch off arrogant muppets, who regularly start fights, usually with fellow teammates

RockyBalboa

Haha. Quality :cool:

loveofthegame

OK confession time.

My bird got her hands on 2 tickets for Saturday. I'd only been to 1 Scotland rugby match before, also in the 6nations against France 2 years ago- My bird won 2 tickets for it on some BBC Comp in the ?100 seats(ie i didnt pay).

So anyway she got 2 tickets, and being an all round lover of sport, i thought it'd be a great experience to witness Scotland-England in the Calcutta Cup. I also had a mate coming up from England for the w/e who was going, and 2 school mates who are ruggers and also had tickets.

So went to the Murrayfield hotel (in civvies and certainly no a kilt and rugger top!) got pished then went to the game. First thing: you can buy a pint in the ground and take it to your seat- absolutely magic. The game was quite an experience and the atmosphere cracking. Completely different to football, much more banterous. I still will always prefer the atmosphere at football WHEN its good(although it pains me to say that isnt v often anymore).

Then witnessed Scotland beat England(doesnt matter what sport its at its still great to see). Then back to pub then up the toon to meet the boys.

All in all a cracking day. Slag rugby all you want but it was a great atmosphere and bevvy session. I'd def do it again on rare occasion for big matches when we're not playing.

OK confession time.

My bird got her hands on 2 tickets for Saturday. I'd only been to 1 Scotland rugby match before, also in the 6nations against France 2 years ago- My bird won 2 tickets for it on some BBC Comp in the ?100 seats(ie i didnt pay).

So anyway she got 2 tickets, and being an all round lover of sport, i thought it'd be a great experience to witness Scotland-England in the Calcutta Cup. I also had a mate coming up from England for the w/e who was going, and 2 school mates who are ruggers and also had tickets.

So went to the Murrayfield hotel (in civvies and certainly no a kilt and rugger top!) got pished then went to the game. First thing: you can buy a pint in the ground and take it to your seat- absolutely magic. The game was quite an experience and the atmosphere cracking. Completely different to football, much more banterous. I still will always prefer the atmosphere at football WHEN its good(although it pains me to say that isnt v often anymore).

Then witnessed Scotland beat England(doesnt matter what sport its at its still great to see). Then back to pub then up the toon to meet the boys.

All in all a cracking day. Slag rugby all you want but it was a great atmosphere and bevvy session. I'd def do it again on rare occasion for big matches when we're not playing.

Interesting...

I have a mate who went, and he said he is never going back!

He though atmosphere was pretty poor bar the end. The match was dire, and that it's much better to watch games on telly as it was too difficult to follow so far from the action

True rugby fans are ok. But where are they all the rest of the year? Edinburgh play in front of 3,000 when they play a league match.

It is all the w*****s who go to the International games, know ****** all about the game and pretend to be snobs I can't stand.

True rugby fans are ok. But where are they all the rest of the year? Edinburgh play in front of 3,000 when they play a league match.

It is all the w*****s who go to the International games, know ****** all about the game and pretend to be snobs I can't stand.

Murrayfield sells out and the grass roots game in Scotland gets pitiful crowds. Hardly anybody plays the game up here either. Yet all the hand jobs turn up for the internationals. :cool:

The behaviour of rugby fans in pubs would result in barrings and negative press/media coverage if carried out by football fans.

Exactly. One rule for those t ossers and one rule for the rest of us. Egg chasing baw bags. :cool:

Sheriff Fatman
Anyone in the cowgate after the game will tell you otherwise.

Strange, in the 5 years I spent as a bouncer in the Cowgate I never once had any real trouble from rugby crowds.

But then I didn't really have any trouble from football crowds either, apart from a certain group of Hearts fans who wouldn't stop aquiring stuff from other pubs and bringing it to mine.;)

Sheriff Fatman
Murrayfield sells out and the grass roots game in Scotland gets pitiful crowds. Hardly anybody plays the game up here either. Yet all the hand jobs turn up for the internationals. :cool:

Blame that on the SRU, who fecked club rugby with the regions pish.

I see the usual suspects still have those very large chips on their shoulders.

I've never seen any trouble but any rugby fans at all. Football fans however, every weekend. I was out for a bit on saturday, never came accross any trouble from Scotland or England fans, I did however here a Hearts fan saying to a hun "Aye - we like you guys, we shud go look for fenians and give them a kick in".

Cannot stand them. They prance around as though they own the town when there's a match on. Almost all rugger followers are the same, those who have played the game anyway. They seem to have this "We play(ed) rugby at school aren't we a great group of tough guys" attitude which is pathetic.

Most of them are homosexual as has been pointed out previously and they only play(ed) rugby at school because they were too fat/slow/clumsy to play football.

As for them being "not intimidating" or "rowdy". NONSENSE. They are starting to get a much worse reputation for being intimidatory and lager-louts than football supporters. Because they were at a posh school in their youth they aren't allowed to be seen as aggressive? That is only by the standards of the middle-class snobs. **** 'em!

I see the usual suspects still have those very large chips on their shoulders.

I've never seen any trouble but any rugby fans at all. Football fans however, every weekend. I was out for a bit on saturday, never came accross any trouble from Scotland or England fans, I did however here a Hearts fan saying to a hun "Aye - we like you guys, we shud go look for fenians and give them a kick in".

Did you really hear that being said? Really? Despite the fact that Rangers were playing on Sunday and Hearts were not at all over the weekend?

I do admit football has a tiny minority of idiots but Rugby fans do tend to get a lot more p***ed and rowdy at big games like the weekend. This opinion of "football fans are thugs and rugby fans are angels" is simply narrow-minded IMHO.

Denny Crane
Cannot stand them. They prance around as though they own the town when there's a match on. Almost all rugger followers are the same, those who have played the game anyway. They seem to have this "We play(ed) rugby at school aren't we a great group of tough guys" attitude which is pathetic.

Most of them are homosexual as has been pointed out previously and they only play(ed) rugby at school because they were too fat/slow/clumsy to play football.

As for them being "not intimidating" or "rowdy". NONSENSE. They are starting to get a much worse reputation for being intimidatory and lager-louts than football supporters. Because they were at a posh school in their youth they aren't allowed to be seen as aggressive? That is only by the standards of the middle-class snobs. **** 'em!

Well I've never once felt threatened going to and from a rugby match (be it it Murrayfield, Hughenden, Firhill, Anniesland, Greenyards et al) in comparison to footy (and I'm said to say I include certain occasions at Tynie). I saw little trouble after last Saturday with both Scots and English indulging in some friendly banter and having a few beers together. Can you imagine that happening after a football match between the two countries?

As for your homosexual allegation - so what? I couldn't care less if Scotland was fully gay - as long as they scored tries, kicked goals and won matches. Ditto with our footballers. As for fat and clumsy to be playing football, I take it you've forgetten David Johnston? Played for Hearts and later starred in Scotland's 1984 grandslam team. He is interviewed in Rob Robertson/Paul Kiddie's book "Tynecastle Tales".

As for your posh school hang-up. Myself and many of my rugby loving pals were all state educated so the game is not exclusively reserved for those with a tie and a crest.

Scotland beating Engalnd at football is something to get excited about.

Scotland beating England at Rugby is not.

That's hitting the nail on the head. Don't get me wrong there is never a bad day to beat Engurland at anything but I was at the game on Saturday and though it was a good enough afternoon out the difference in atmosphere between Hampden in Murrayfield is incredible. You simply cannot compare the two and I would personally rather go to one Scotland football match than 100 Scotland rugby matches. It means far more to far more people throughout Scotland when the football team wins.

PeterCapital

Hampden usually sells out for the football, but Gretna still had a crowd of 501the other night.

What is your point?

Bert Le Clos

Not really valid IMO. Lot's of football fans will go to international matches/cup finals that do not go to club matches. The league cup semi against Rangers recently is a perfect example of that. We managed to sell out our allocation for Hampden against Hibs and Gretna in 2006 but couldn't against Rangers.

Also, lots of rugby fans have no afiliation to Edinburgh Rugby. They were only formed a few years ago and considering most rugby fans have more of an affiliation to amatuer club sides I think they are doing OK to get crowds of 3,000 (Livingston only got a crowd of 1,800 for their last home match and were formed in 1995).

Adi Dassler

You could have 20 football fans walking down a street with an elderly couple walking towards them.

OR

You could have 20 rugby fans walking down a street with an elderly couple walking towards them.

I know who my money would be on to step out on the road to let them by.

loveofthegame

Seems to me to be a hell of a lot of people with massive chips on their shoulders who are more than happy to make sweeping generilazitions and put all those who like rugby into one stereotype, which is of course, absolute garbage.

You get wanky ruggers and wanky football fans. Rowdy ruggers and rowdy football fans. Kind and gentle ruggers & kind and gentle fitba' fans. To make sweeping generilzations about either is daft imo

Seems to me to be a hell of a lot of people with massive chips on their shoulders who are more than happy to make sweeping generilazitions and put all those who like rugby into one stereotype, which is of course, absolute garbage.

You get wanky ruggers and wanky football fans. Rowdy ruggers and rowdy football fans. Kind and gentle ruggers & kind and gentle fitba' fans. To make sweeping generilzations about either is daft imo

But large groups of egg chasers are twats:p:p

But large groups of egg chasers are twats:p:p

Yes, I do believe that is the collective noun for them. ;)

The bars of Edinburgh on Saturday night were full of arrogant, ignorant Kant's.

And before anyone starts, I spent the weekend in London. :P

Sheriff Fatman

Sounds like a normal Saturday night in Edinburgh city centre.

crazy_jambo_2006

Being a follower of both sports (and a massive Scotland fan), I reckon the 6 Nations weekends are great banter (always good craic when the away fans are in town). Watching all the games, drinking, having banter. Never seen any trouble.

Always go to Murrayfield. Normally quite expensive, but I won't grudge ?45 to watch us beat England. Magic! The atnosphere was amazing. The game wasn't great, but it was close, so was exciting. We won, so I don't care if it wasn't the best game.

I'll also say the rugby players are hard b######s and put their bodies on the line for their club/country, (unlike some footballers, who cheat, dive and feign injury).

I P Knightley

Ignorant about what?

I P Knightley
Ignorant about their arrogance.

Brilliant!

Only thing worse is people arrogant about their ignorance!!

Archived