WC last 16 draw

Footballfirst

Footballfirst

If I've understood the draw correctly is looks as below (the numbers are the sequence of the last 16 ties). In the last of the group games I think that Spain / Switzerland / Chile may play tactically to finish 1st or 2nd (if they can) to position themselves so as to avoid Brazil.

1 Uruguay v S.Korea

2 USA v Ghana

-------------------------

5 Netherlands v Slovakia

6 1st of Spa/Swi/Chi v 2nd of Portugal/Brazil

--------------------------------------------------------

3 Germany v England

4 Argentina v Mexico

7 Paraguay v Japan

8 1st of Brazil/Portugal v 2nd of Spa/Swi/Chi

The q/fs are 1v2, 5v6, 3v4, 7v8 and s/fs follow as 1/2 v 5/6 and 3/4 v 7/8

I'd hope that we could get q/fs of Uruguay v Ghana, Netherlands v Spain, Germany v Argies and Brazil v Chile, but I suspect that Switzerland could screw up those forecasts.

shaun.lawson

If I've understood the draw correctly is looks as below (the numbers are the sequence of the last 16 ties). In the last of the group games I think that Spain / Switzerland / Chile may play tactically to finish 1st or 2nd (if they can) to position themselves so as to avoid Brazil.

1 Uruguay v S.Korea

2 USA v Ghana

5 Netherlands v Slovakia

3 Germany v England

4 Argentina v Mexico

7 Paraguay v Japan

The q/fs 1v2, 5v6, 3v4, 7v8 and s/fs follow as 1/2 v 5/6 and 3/4 v 7/8

I'd hope that we could get q/fs of Uruguay v Ghana, Netherlands v Spain, Germany v Argies and Brazil v Chile, but I suspect the Switzerland could screw up those forecasts.

There's a mistake in the above, FF. The winner of Holland-Slovakia will play the winners of 1G v 2H (probably Brazil v any of Spain, Chile or Switzerland). And in the bottom half, the winners of Paraguay-Japan will play the winners of 2G (Portugal?) and 1H (any of Spain, Chile or Switzerland).

Meaning Brazil and Holland are likely to be the only remaining big guns in the top half, massively increasing the chances of both; and in the bottom half, things look rosier for Spain (if they win the group), and Argentina than either Germany or England, who both now face the draw from hell. Of course, Spain finishing 2nd in Group H or even being eliminated altogether would change this.

On that basis, then unless either or both of Brazil and Spain fail to win their groups tomorrow, I think you can narrow down this year's World Cup Final to Brazil or Holland v Spain or Argentina - and remember that the winners of the first semi-final get an extra day's rest, which often proves vital. And if you ask me, right now, I think the value in the betting are... Holland.

1 Uruguay v S.Korea

2 USA v Ghana

5 Netherlands v Slovakia

3 Germany v England

4 Argentina v Mexico

7 Paraguay v Japan

I'd hope that we could get q/fs of Uruguay v Ghana, Netherlands v Spain, Germany v Argies and Brazil v Chile, but I suspect that Switzerland could screw up those forecasts.

If 6 turns out to be Switzerland or Chile v. Portugal then I reckon Holland have a great chance of making the final, possible each way bet.

Footballfirst

There's a mistake in the above, FF. The winner of Holland-Slovakia will play the winners of 1G v 2H (probably Brazil v any of Spain, Chile or Switzerland). And in the bottom half, the winners of Paraguay-Japan will play the winners of 2G (Portugal?) and 1H (any of Spain, Chile or Switzerland).

Meaning Brazil and Holland are likely to be the only remaining big guns in the top half, massively increasing the chances of both; and in the bottom half, things look rosier for Spain (if they win the group), and Argentina than either Germany or England, who both now face the draw from hell. Of course, Spain finishing 2nd in Group H or even being eliminated altogether would change this.

On that basis, then unless either or both of Brazil and Spain fail to win their groups tomorrow, I think you can narrow down this year's World Cup Final to Brazil or Holland v Spain or Argentina - and remember that the winners of the first semi-final get an extra day's rest, which often proves vital. And if you ask me, right now, I think the value in the betting are... Holland.

Thanks Shaun, I got groups G & H mixed up.

The revised draw will be:

1 Uruguay v S.Korea

2 USA v Ghana

5 Netherlands v Slovakia

6 1st of Brazil/Portugal v 2nd of Spa/Swi/Chi

3 Germany v England

4 Argentina v Mexico

7 Paraguay v Japan

8 1st of Spa/Swi/Chi v 2nd of Portugal/Brazil

Say What Again

I heard them say on BBC tonight that England v Germany is the stand out tie of the round.

It probably is so far, but Spain v Portugal/Brazil will easily eclipse it.

The Old Tolbooth

If there's a god then the Swiss will go out with the Spaniards and Chileans going through, come on Honduras tonight! :thumbsup:

jamboinglasgow

If there's a god then the Swiss will go out with the Spaniards and Chileans going through, come on Honduras tonight! :thumbsup:

I am praying for it. Spain are my second favourite team (behind the Aussies, was close who to support) and Chilie are my office sweepstake team. The Swiss should be no where near the final 16. Let Hondouras get a point and for Spain to beat Chilie.

I heard them say on BBC tonight that England v Germany is the stand out tie of the round.

It's the stand out tie of the round so far as it's the one with most historic value and media hype............

I would love to come on here on Monday and shout about a quarter final spot for England but I can't see it............

What's the odds on us losing to The Hun on penalties?

rossthejambo

If there's a god then the Swiss will go out with the Spaniards and Chileans going through, come on Honduras tonight! thumbsup.gif

Absolutely this.

Switzerland are ridiculously dull, I think I'm still recovering from their last 16 game against Ukraine last time out.

I've got a bad feeling that Spain might not win against Chile and Switzerland will end up winning and going through. Hope I'm wrong though.

Say What Again

If there's a god then the Swiss will go out with the Spaniards and Chileans going through

Said virtually the exact same words to my mate last night. Switerland have been worse to watch than Greece, while Chile have been one of the more entertaining sides so far.

Say What Again

I might get lynched if that happens.

I said to my English mates before it started I hoped they went out to Germany on pens (though it was the semis in my dream scenario).

Fingers crossed. :)

The Old Tolbooth

It's the stand out tie of the round so far as it's the one with most historic value and media hype............

I would love to come on here on Monday and shout about a quarter final spot for England but I can't see it............

Ladbrokes have it priced up at 10/1 mate, although that's a bit shorter than normal due to the recent history between the two sides, I'm pretty much convinced that it's going all the way too.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

Does anyone else hate how the draw is pre-determined? (Eg the winners of Group A play runners up in Group B etc).

Why don't they just do a draw after every round like in the Scottish cup? It wouldn't take that much time or planning would it?

Hopefully the Swiss will get papped out tonight, then England on Sunday and we'll be left with a tournament packed full of exciting, attacking teams!

Footballfirst

Does anyone else hate how the draw is pre-determined? (Eg the winners of Group A play runners up in Group B etc).

Why don't they just do a draw after every round like in the Scottish cup? It wouldn't take that much time or planning would it?

If they did a new draw after each round it would extend the length of the tournament as you would have to give the teams that played last in the previous round enough time to rest before they played again.

Stupid Sexy Flanders

If they did a new draw after each round it would extend the length of the tournament as you would have to give the teams that played last in the previous round enough time to rest before they played again.

Ah, that's a fair point.

Guildford_Jambo

Does anyone know when England would play - days/times etc, if they were to keep winning?

Say What Again

Does anyone know when England would play - days/times etc, if they were to keep winning?

QF - Saturday 3rd @ 3pm

Semi Wed 7th @ 7.30pm

Footballfirst

Updated draw

1 Uruguay v S.Korea

2 USA v Ghana

5 Netherlands v Slovakia

6 Brazil v Chile

3 Germany v England

4 Argentina v Mexico

7 Paraguay v Japan

8 Spain v Portugal

shaun.lawson

Updated draw

1 Uruguay v S.Korea

2 USA v Ghana

5 Netherlands v Slovakia

6 Brazil v Chile

3 Germany v England

4 Argentina v Mexico

7 Paraguay v Japan

8 Spain v Portugal

Holland-Argentina final I reckon. And I worry for Spain against Portugal, I really do.

Footballfirst

Holland-Argentina final I reckon. And I worry for Spain against Portugal, I really do.

I'll go for all Latino s/fs with Uruguay v Brazil and Argentina v Spain

Say What Again

1 Uruguay v S.Korea

2 USA v Ghana

Impressive that one of those sides will make the final.

Hopefully it's a free scoring Diego Forlan inspired Uruguay, to aid my 80/1 ew bet on him to be top scorer :thumbsup:

Impressive that one of those sides will make the final.

Hopefully it's a free scoring Diego Forlan inspired Uruguay, to aid my 80/1 ew bet on him to be top scorer thumbsup.gif

Semi at least,mate.Then one of them will meet Holland/Brazil etc.

Spain will easily beat Portugal, no doubt in my mind.

Of all of these ties, Spain vs Portugal is the one that does most to get the juices running. Closely followed by Brazil - Chile and England - Germany for me.

Say What Again

Semi at least,mate.Then one of them will meet Holland/Brazil etc.

Oops, typo Boab. I knew it was the semi as I was discussing it last night.

That shows me for being on JKB at work :P

jamboinglasgow

I am praying for it. Spain are my second favourite team (behind the Aussies, was close who to support) and Chilie are my office sweepstake team. The Swiss should be no where near the final 16. Let Hondouras get a point and for Spain to beat Chilie.

woo, it happened. Though annoyingly it means that its Chilie v Brazil in the last 16 (Spain v Portugal that will be some match) then again Brazil only finished 1 point behind Brazil in the qualifying. Should be a cracker of a game.

Oops, typo Boab. I knew it was the semi as I was discussing it last night.

That shows me for being on JKB at work tongue.gif

No worries.I agree that it is a huge incentive to one of them to go far in the tourny.I still think Portugal could win this and i'm putting my money where my mouth is shortly.

The Old Tolbooth

Brazil v Chile could be an absolute belter!! :woot:

I'm so so so so so glad that the uber boring Swiss are heading home, there is a god after all!! :thumbsup:

Archived